Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retarded.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I use the term about people or ideas I think are really annoyingly stupid. I never use it in relation to people with special needs.
    I don't blame people for whom the term jars for not liking the above, but there really is no intention to offend people with special needs. Far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Magaggie wrote: »
    I use the term about people or ideas I think are really annoyingly stupid. I never use it in relation to people with special needs.
    I don't blame people for whom the term jars for not liking the above, but there really is no intention to offend people with special needs. Far from it.

In this instance you are equating 'annoyingly stupid' with special needs, it's not nice, it can make people feel like crap, and it is most certainly insulting. It takes no effort for you to switch from saying 'retarded' to 'stupidly annoying', and it would be a lot better for those around you.

The acceptable uses of 'retarded' include things like refering to a plants retarded growth after the winter, unacceptable is linking a slur to an undesirable trait and casually throwing it about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Yeh I guess so.
    Although I'm not consciously equating really stupid people with people who have special needs, because I personally don't associate the term retard or retarded with people who have special needs, even if that's what the term originally meant. Same with idiot, imbecile, lunatic. Originally these terms applied to people with learning difficulties/severe mental illnesses, whereas their meanings have become far, far looser now. Personally I view retard and retarded in the same way but I appreciate not everyone agrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Yeh I guess so.
    Although I'm not consciously equating really stupid people with people who have special needs, because I personally don't associate the term retard or retarded with people who have special needs, even if that's what the term originally meant. Same with idiot, imbecile, lunatic. Originally these terms applied to people with learning difficulties/severe mental illnesses, whereas their meanings have become far, far looser now. Personally I view retard and retarded in the same way but I appreciate not everyone agrees.

John McGinley explains it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's not the intention that matters, it's the perception. Just because somebody doesn't mean to cause offence, doesn't mean offence isn't taken.

Personally, I abhor the use of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Calhoun wrote: »
    He got banned for trolling, so i dont think your getting a reply.
    Just FYIs, he was banned for being a re-reg, rather than for any points he made in FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,856 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Personally I agreed with this original thread back when it was a thing. And several AH threads happened around the same time flagging the word retarded as being too ubiquitous.

It's probably heavy handed to card for use of the word casually ("this toaster oven is retarded") but I'm all for advocating people try and phase it out of their vocabulary

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Overheal wrote: »
    It's probably heavy handed to card for use of the word casually ("this toaster oven is retarded") but I'm all for advocating people try and phase it out of their vocabulary

Would be interesting to see if the good cop approach would work. Personally I doubt people who see using the word retarded as a fundamental right of free speech are going to agree without a keyboard fight at dawn.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement