Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retarded.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

While I agree with the sentiment I still don't believe its a justification to ban the word (or any of those words).

Surely now that it doesn't appear in the DSM should make it more acceptable in general use since it no longer refers to "minorities" in proper speech? Should "idiot" or "imbecile" be banned since they used to be used similarly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

What words are banned? I think only the N word right?

If you allow one slur, then you need to allow the others, or none of them at all. Otherwise it just looks discriminatory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Immanuel

From the country that done so well to host the Special Olympics a few years ago, the continued and permitted casual use of this word on boards to insult people is saddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,981 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Immanuel wrote: »
    From the country that done so well to host the Special Olympics a few years ago, the continued and permitted casual use of this word on boards to insult people is saddening.

Did you report the posts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,730 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Overheal wrote: »
    A mod in the forum has issued an on thread warning and given the poster a chance to edit/retract the post.

The mod has also said that the use of the term in that fashion isn't welcome in the forum so it's clearly not permitted on the forum.

Had reported the post myself, so the post was reported at least once.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Overheal wrote: »

Yes, myself and several other posters reported it, but until this feedback thread was reopened, no response of any kind was forthcoming. Since then a mod has posted that in his opinion that it was 'not intentional' despite the poster using the word on several posts in two different threads, and restating the word when challenged on his use of it to defame a named equality officer of the equality office. The mod has asked him to withdraw the remark, and to date no withdrawal has occurred. It all seems very strange, I've seen people yellow carded on forums for much much less.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yes, myself and several other posters reported it, but until this feedback thread was reopened, no response of any kind was forthcoming. Since then a mod has posted that in his opinion that it was 'not intentional' despite the poster using the word on several posts in two different threads, and restating the word when challenged on his use of it to defame a named equality officer of the equality office. The mod has asked him to withdraw the remark, and to date no withdrawal has occurred. It all seems very strange, I've seen people yellow carded on forums for much much less.
    You reported the post at 23:09 on the Tuesday night and it was responded to by the mod just over an hour later with this:
    Turtwig wrote: »

A) calling a public person a retard is
    potentially defamatory.

B) the use of retard itself a highly derogatory term. Like ****** or fag, there is no place for it in this forum.

I'm not sure how quickly you want the volunteers of this site to act, but it strikes me you're being somewhat hard to please.

The poster wasn't carded as, distasteful as it might seem, they were clearly using the word in a throwaway manner. It has now been clarified that using the term in that manner is not acceptable. Some forums hand out cards like Paul Daniels, others prefer to keep posters in line with warnings. Every forum is different and reserves the right to sanction its users as befitting the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Dades wrote: »
    You reported the post at 23:09 on the Tuesday night and it was responded to by the mod just over an hour later with this:

I'm not sure how quickly you want the volunteers of this site to act, but it strikes me you're being somewhat hard to please.

The poster wasn't carded as, distasteful as it might seem, they were clearly using the word in a throwaway manner. It has now been clarified that using the term in that manner is not acceptable. Some forums hand out cards like Paul Daniels, others prefer to keep posters in line with warnings. Every forum is different and reserves the right to sanction its users as befitting the discussion.

What particular post/thread is this referring to?

RainyDay wrote: »
    What particular post/thread is this referring to?
    I don't want to link to it due to it's unsavoury nature but there's enough info and clickables in this thread for anyone to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Quoting this because it's somewhat relevant.
    Surely now that it doesn't appear in the DSM should make it more acceptable in general use since it no longer refers to "minorities" in proper speech? Should "idiot" or "imbecile" be banned since they used to be used similarly?

The poster clearly did not intentionally insult any poster posting in the thread. If he had replaced the R word with 'idiot' most posters would likely have had no objection to his post. That says a lot. He didn't intentionally go out of his way to offend someone. Rather it happened by a choice of poor wording. If this was because he fell into the camp of the poster above it would have been excessively harsh to card him. All a card would have served to do is annoy and irritate him and possibly even lead to more cards and thread disruption. It was, most likely, not meant to offend anyone. We've all had situations where we've used a poor choice of wording, or our tongues slipped, and we'd want others to give us the benefit of the doubt. That's all that's happened here.

This way the ball is in still court, the line has been clearly drawn in the sand and there's a chance this whole situation can be resolved amicably.

That was my reasoning,

Turtwig wrote: »
    Quoting this because it's somewhat relevant.

The poster clearly did not intentionally insult any poster posting in the thread. If he had replaced the R word with 'idiot' most posters would likely have had no objection to his post. That says a lot. He didn't intentionally go out of his way to offend someone. Rather it happened by a choice of poor wording. If this was because he fell into the camp of the poster above it would have been excessively harsh to card him. All a card would have served to do is annoy and irritate him and possibly even lead to more cards and thread disruption. It was, most likely, not meant to offend anyone. We've all had situations where we've used a poor choice of wording, or our tongues slipped, and we'd want others to give us the benefit of the doubt. That's all that's happened here.

This way the ball is in still court, the line has been clearly drawn in the sand and there's a chance this whole situation can be resolved amicably.

That was my reasoning,

He used the word in several posts and when called on it clarified that it was exactly the right word to call a named equality officer of the equality authority. So I don't know how you conclude its not intentional. I don't agree with the equality officer decision in this case either, but that's irrelevant. Defaming a named officer several times, while using a very unacceptable term for people with special needs and care, and who can't defend themselves, is not really on. The defaming posts and terms of abuse used still remain on the thread. The persons last post on the subject remains "[she] fully deserves the application of the name retard." I don't see any withdrawal of the term as you requested, never mind an apology for using same.

I don't believe you really care about a potential defamation issue. If the poster had called that public officer an "asshole" would you have started this thread? I'm guessing no - so it's frankly unhlepful to bring the legal aspect of things into this.

Public figures get called names all the time on internet forums. It would be ridiculous for us to go around deleting posts every time someone had an axe to grind with say, a politician, and called them an asshole or something.

We've agreed the actual word involved was distasteful and have made a declaration in public of same. I don't expect an apology from the poster or require one, as I know that term is ubiquitous amongst a certain generation. That's just a fact - on the Internet and on the street. What we can do is ask in future that it not be used on our forum - which is what has been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Anyone else cringe at the fact that the thread directly below this one is from someone named "Rucking_Fetard"? :rolleyes:
    Indeed, I cringe every time I see that username.
    We've agreed the actual word involved was distasteful and have made a declaration in public of same. I don't expect an apology from the poster or require one, as I know that term is ubiquitous amongst a certain generation. That's just a fact - on the Internet and on the street. What we can do is ask in future that it not be used on our forum - which is what has been done.

THat's exactly what we need to do - make it unacceptable to use this term of abuse, just as many other terms of abuse for people of different races, or different sexual preferences are unacceptable. The fact that it is regrettably among a certain generation does not make it acceptable. I blame Jackass myself.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Regarding my own Modding preference - If it is used in an abusive manner it gets carded instantly, no matter how throwaway the term is used - But that's just me as I see no benefit at all regarding their use in any discussion.
    What do you see as an abusive manner? Clearly if a poster is referring to another poster, that's a given. What if they're referring to a game developer (i.e. somebody or some company not on Boards)? Or what if someone says "I hated [insert game] - the graphics were retarded"?

I think if all those were cardable offenses charters would have expressly state it.

I don't believe you really care about a potential defamation issue. If the poster had called that public officer an "asshole" would you have started this thread? I'm guessing no - so it's frankly unhlepful to bring the legal aspect of things into this.

Public figures get called names all the time on internet forums. It would be ridiculous for us to go around deleting posts every time someone had an axe to grind with say, a politician, and called them an asshole or something.

Using the word retard is indeed the issue.
    I don't agree with her decision or opinion, but that is irrelevant.
    The defamation of a named person in public is a secondary, but important issue, especially considering the word used to defame her.
    The person is not a public figure, she is a public sector employee. There is a world of difference.

I was asked to report it if I had a concern . . . I reported it.
    I was asked to go to feedback if I had a concern . . . I went to feedback
    I was asked in feedback did I report it . . . I explained I did.

I have reported it, and given the feedback, and answered all questions I've been asked.

Curiously, a lot more, I might add, than the poster who (a) used a completely derogatory term for people with special needs and (b) used that term to defame a named person in public, has been asked to do.

You don't like the feedback ?

C'est la vie.

I can do no more.

At the time of writing this post, the poster has still failed to edit and retract the remark as requested by the moderator, and the posts remain, that's an issue facing boards and the poster concerned and the equality officer and special needs Ireland, not me.

Obviously if Brian leaves the comment in play for a long time we'll edit it. Would prefer to give him the opportunity first. Posters have lives outside boards so it's unreasonable to expect immediate responses. Even if the poster has logged into the site. There's a myriad of conditions where you log into the site, even post posts, but still haven't time for other stuff. Speaking as a mod I know this all too well.

When following boards in the past, I haven't seen this tip toe method applied to other posters before, so what is the reasoning in this case ?

Tip toe method?

I don't like editing users posts unless I absolutely have to. Otherwise, I give the poster every chance to edit their posts themselves and make any corrections they deem appropriate. Most of the time posters do so. Especially when they've cooled down and taken a step back for a bit. This is a community after all we don't want to ostracise an individual unless we absolutely have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

So I had a read of the A&A thread that brought this topic back up, it seems to be here to ask why 'retard' is not censored, Surely that is as there is an accepted, unrelated dictionary definition.

With regard to moderation, the action that was taken is the same action that was commended when this thread was first started, carding someone for an offence they are unaware of and isn't written down anywhere is a bit heavy handed an approach surely? And anyone who is truely concerned by such language should surely be more interested in informing and assisting someone in being more mindful of their words than censoring and shutting down beneficial conversation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Calling an object, idea etc 'retarded' should be allowed. Calling a person 'retarded' should have consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

TheZohan wrote: »
    Calling an object, idea etc 'retarded' should be allowed. Calling a person 'retarded' should have consequences.

Agreed, sure while we are at it lets come up with a list of banned words we can't use on the off chance we might offend someone.

We should also appoint an equality counsel while we are at it and police it rigorously to make sure no one offends or breaks the rules.

Seriously i think some common sense needs to prevail and folk stop using the site as a method of social change.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Calling an object, idea etc 'retarded' should be allowed

Would you say a dislikeable idea or object should be termed 'gay' or 'f.aggoted' for example ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Would you say a dislikeable idea or object should be termed 'gay' or 'f.aggoted' for example ?
    I think you might be missing the point that the verb "retard" or the adjective "retarded" have meanings that have no connection with developmental psychology - for example, in electronics or mechanics.

The problem does not lie in the word, but in some instances of its application.

And calling a person "a retard" is a no-no.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 De Sellerate 55mph

remember that guy who started a thread, talking about retarding his car? he couldnt understand why the women he was chatting up were so offended... that was a great thread.

I think you might be missing the point that the verb "retard" or the adjective "retarded" have meanings that have no connection with developmental psychology - for example, in electronics or mechanics.

The problem does not lie in the word, but in some instances of its application.

And calling a person "a retard" is a no-no.

I think you might be missing the point, terming something dislikeable or objectionable gay or f.aggoted does not mean it's happy or a bundle of twigs. The problem does not lie in the word gay or f.aggot which can mean entirely different things. People are well able to tell the difference.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 De Sellerate 55mph

^ I don't agree with what you're saying, and I won't defend to the death your right to say it...

but, you do have a point

I think you might be missing the point, terming something dislikeable or objectionable gay or f.aggoted does not mean it's happy or a bundle of twigs. The problem does not lie in the word gay or f.aggot which can mean entirely different things. People are well able to tell the difference.

The word fagg0t is not a tool to prove your point. A more accurate comparison is with the word fags, I smoke fags, lovely fags, when I run out of fags I might even bum a fag off a friend. Several times a day I will turn to the closest person and let them know 'I'm off for a fag', they don't take offence, however if I called them a fag, or cursed the fags, or used the word in a negative manner, they probably would.

Am I winding you up or am I just blowing hot wind? A words meaning is not in its spelling, it's in its usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

He got banned for trolling, so i dont think your getting a reply.

• Advertisement

I only realised after I posted, figured there was no harm the point still being there.

Advertisement