Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ireland a first world country?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Given how crap and corrupt the government is here would we have more in common with war torn parts of Africa than say the rest of the EU?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

no.

edit: just to clarify, my answer is in response to your second question, not your first.

and it's fact. look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Oh... My... God.

I knew there were people a little less than educated. But seriously, I don't know what to say.

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Yes we are a first world country. We have hospitals in every city. We have motorways connecting the major cities. We have only(i say that with a pinch of salt) 13-14% unemployment. Theres not a huge number of people starving and living on the streets.

Trust me, we are NOT a third world country.

Maybe not the same standard as a very wealthy first world country but we would still fall within that bracket. Considering we are a developed country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

have more in common with war torn parts of Africa than say the rest of the EU?

no.

Typical sensationalist tripe.

Do you work for the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

We're a first world banana republic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

nudist wrote: »
    Given how crap and corrupt the government is here would we have more in common with war torn parts of Africa than say the rest of the EU?
    Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain and Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Somalia- No Government

Rest of Africa- AIDS Epidemic- starvation, war, genocide, tribal warfare, genital mutilations, etc etc

You Sir are sadly ignorant of world affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Ireland is number 14 in the table of least corrupt countries, according to Transparency International - that's less corrupt than the UK, for example.

Not competely scientific, but it shows that the world does not agree that we're as bad as you make out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Max Power1 wrote: »
    no.

Typical sensationalist tripe.

Do you work for the sun?

Not the Sun, this is more Oirish Daily Fail territory.

Answer: No, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Somalia- No Government

Rest of Africa- AIDS Epidemic- starvation, war, genocide, tribal warfare, genital mutilations, etc etc

You Sir are sadly ignorant of world affairs.

Yeah but we have a crap government. Which is definately nearly as bad. Apparently :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

but it shows that the world does not agree that we're as bad as you make out.

Shhhh!!! The self-haters will be disappointed!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

OP posted his message on the Internet, most probably from the comfort of his/her own home.

=> automatic fail.

OP you phrased your thread very confusingly, in such a way that a "no" means a "yes" and a "yes" means a "no".
    Is ireland a first world country?

Yes.......wait, what question am I answering yes to?
    Yes, we're a first world country, yes we have more in common with war torn parts of africa.

Both dont go hand in hand => Thread FAIL

Anyway, as I said before, we are a first world country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

We're only a 1st world if you're a TD, Banker, Lawyer, Public Servant or Developer.

Everyone else is just a lower class peasant to be milked out of all their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ahhh don't you just love Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

no it is not OP...

now please move to more developed swaziland and stop bombarding us with yer s'hite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

My point is that the country is going to the dogs at the moment-50 billion going to dead banks-it makes no sense whatsoever-and yet no one cares that the country is basically ****ed.

Had i known in 2006 that the country would be bankrupted by the government in 2009/2010 i would have not bothered going to college. I should have emigrated. Sigh.

Please look up the definition of a third world country before making a silly post...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

My point is that the country is going to the dogs at the moment-50 billion going to dead banks-it makes no sense whatsoever-and yet no one cares that the country is basically ****ed.

Had i known in 2006 that the country would be bankrupted by the government in 2009/2010 i would have not bothered going to college. I should have emigrated. Sigh.

debt alone does not a third world country make.

ps: we are not bankrupt as yet either. jesus op, emigrate now ffs or do something useful with your life. this depressing s'hite is depressing

• Advertisement

After WWII, countries were defined as First, Second & Third world.
    Those countries with a democratically elected government were First world, those with dictatorships(communist) were second world, the rest were third world (mostly colonies of first world countries).

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

Somalia- No Government

</p>
    Isn't that the ideal for the Tea Party in the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

What does one have to do with the other? There are many things that we could look back on and wish we hadn't done if we could see the future, but not bother with being educated? Have to wonder what you studied!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

:eek::confused:

Things may be bad but your being just a tad dramatic O.P!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

It's like a South American Banana Republic, but without the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Rasmus wrote: »
    What does one have to do with the other? There are many things that we could look back on and wish we hadn't done if we could see the future, but not bother with being educated? Have to wonder what you studied!

International banking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Hairdresser college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Well firstly, obviously the OP needs to spend some time in the slums of Mumbai......where is the crapper? why its over there beside your little brothers bed, which is the cardboard pieces lying around under that broken lamp post over there.....and thats life for millions of people in that one city alone.

a more interesting question, and one for another thread, and one that those who have never read a book or newspaper article on the subject need not subscribe to, is, how corrupt is Ireland, relative to other European countries?

For example, we are clearly less corrupt than italy or greece in my view. Anyway, I'm off to have my lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Yeah no one cares, we're all far more worried about what happens on Eastenders tonight.

Here's something to think about:

So you went to college.

How much were your college fees (free, is my understanding, at least for Universities it is).

Why were your college fees free in 2006? Because the government could afford it, because there was such a strong tax take from the then economic boom.

If you had emigrated in 2006, you'd have no third level education. So you could try a job in McDonalds in some foreign city, or you could go to third level there. If you went to the US, a university education would be costing you north of $30,000 a year (assuming you are an American citizen). So then you would have been bankrupted instead!!!!

But instead you were educated for free here. As a taxpayer, i want my money back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Yes, we're a first world country.
    But it has everything to do with an accident of geography and the current balance of political and economic power in the world.
    If there was any significant shift in this balance and we continued to run our affairs as we have, we'd probably pretty quickly become the sole inhabitants of the fourth world.

Advertisement