Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It shouldnt bother me, but it does

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Backard_Pell

yes, it can't be denied that Iceland is in a bad position, and there is huge dis-satisfaction and protests. They have made an application to join the Eurozone, and the IMF have had to help them out, but effectively, the ECB did the same job for us, but with a hell of alot less of the conditions that would be associated with an IMF bailout.
    I was merely commenting on the fact that Iceland can now borrow at a lower rate than Ireland. and this was a country that 'did everything wrong', according to the Irish method of dealing with a similar situation.

http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=43435

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

yes, it can't be denied that Iceland is in a bad position, and there is huge dis-satisfaction and protests. They have made an application to join the Eurozone, and the IMF have had to help them out, but effectively, the ECB did the same job for us, but with a hell of alot less of the conditions that would be associated with an IMF bailout.
    I was merely commenting on the fact that Iceland can now borrow at a lower rate than Ireland. and this was a country that 'did everything wrong', according to the Irish method of dealing with a similar situation.

Well, it's questionable if the EU would have let Ireland crash the way Iceland did. Although I will say, I think that Anglo should have gone to the wall in 2008, and possibly Nationwide as well. There are plenty of healthy banks in the EU that could have bought some of the assets and/or stepped in; Santander is just one example.

Interestingly enough, the South China Morning Post (Hong Kong's daily) has been writing quite a bit about the Irish situation. Hong Kong is notoriously prone to real estate boom and busts, but they have an extremely low default rate for loans, due to stringent lending requirements, and little of the "golden circle"-itis that has infected the entire decision-making process around the bank guarantees:

The word "shaky" hardly describes it. Try "total wreck". The rescue of [Anglo Irish]bank is now expected to cost the Irish government up to €35 billion. This is the equivalent of HK$370 billion - and the Irish economy right now is only about the size of Hong Kong's....could the Irish have avoided it? Prices on their property market crashed by 70 per cent with the 2008 global economic crisis. Surely no financial system could have withstood such a blow without public assistance.

Could it?

Well, yes it could. Right here in Hong Kong it could and did. Following the Asian financial crisis in 1997-98, property prices in Hong Kong also fell by roughly 70 per cent, and the resulting shakiness of the financial system is best expressed in the chart at right on mortgage delinquency ratios.

Yes, take a close look again. At no point in the aftermath of this crisis did the six-month delinquency ratio in mortgage payments reach even 1 per cent of total home loans outstanding. It is now at one-hundredth of 1 per cent, which can comprise little more than borrowers who have been sent to prison.

There is effectively no mortgage delinquency at all and, as to mortgages written off, haul out your microscope. Even at the height of the financial strain, it amounted annually to little more than one-tenth of 1 per cent of outstanding Hong Kong dollar loans.

So if Hong Kong could glide right through a major property crash with hardly a tremor to its financial system, what happened in Ireland to cause a financial crisis?

I think perhaps the most important difference is that we know all about property crashes in Hong Kong. We had one in the 1960s, we had one in the early 1970s, we had one in the early 1980s and then we had that thumper starting in 1998. Elsewhere in the world it is sometimes a revelation that property prices can fall as well as rise. Not here.

It has made our banks prudent about these things. As a result, the average loan to value ratio of new mortgages in Hong Kong is about 60 per cent. That's for new mortgages. Take the entire mortgage portfolio and it will be lower yet, although I don't have the figures. You can only take out a home loan in Hong Kong if you have a big personal stake in the investment, too.

It wasn't so with Anglo Irish. Much of its property lending was done on the basis of 100 per cent financing, with little due diligence on the borrower. This is asking for trouble and not only because it is imprudent. It actually contributes to the creation of property bubbles.

Then there is the whole business of lenders being too cosy with the directors of corporate borrowers, apparently one of the big weaknesses at Anglo Irish.

We had that problem, too, in the mid-1980s and about seven small banks, mostly with Malaysian connections, vanished. They had used Hong Kong deposits to fund Malaysian property losses.

Our prudential supervision has become much better since that time. Maybe I'm fooling myself about this, but I don't think so.

Full text

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah, exactly. That's more realistic about Iceland. Things seem a lot better than they were there, but the people are suffering hugely, let there be no doubt about that, no matter what McWilliams says.

As for ECB conditions, barring a commitment to return to the Growth and Stability pact guidelines, they haven't imposed conditions. We did that all by ourselves because we have little room to manoeuvre.

Really until the budget comes in and the 4 year plan is outlined, even vaguely, those rates are going to remain. How we are going to do that without cuts to PS pay and SW rates, which take money out of the economy and reduce GDP and GNP, I don't know. That's before you even touch the bank issue!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

dammit, I came in here looking for a bit of Faith No More. drat

'Everythings Ruined' (these lyrics seem to work)

People loved him so
    And helped him to grow
    Everyone knew the thing that was best
    Of course, he must invest
    A penny won't do
    But he made us proud
    He made us rich

But how were we to know
    He's counterfeit
    Now everything's ruined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Backard_Pell

@Southsiderosie.... thanks for the article, very interesting. I wonder does this now mean that when Ireland eventually stabilizes its banking system, there will never again be 100%, or even 70% mortgages issued again. 60% seems v sensible. We also have the problem of the glut of vacant houses in Ireland. The recent figure of 620 ghost estates has now been revised to 2,700

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/number-of-ghost-estates-four-times-initial-estimate-2363521.html
    The figure in the USA is 20 million vacant propertys.

Google Street View as now provided an opportunity to explore some of these unfinished estates, bulldozing these properties hasn't yet been ruled out.

Street View estates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

If I spoke Irish I'd be thinking ''why the **** did I waste my time learning this pointless language when I could have learned something useful!''.

By all means keep Irish optional but there are more important things to be learning.

if ya knew anything about ireland you'd know that there's people in this country whose first language is irish.....they didn't learn it in school...

SERVED!

Advertisement