Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avoid paying for Eircom price after increase – Save more than 50%

• 01-02-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Most of you have received a letter from Eircom saying that prices will be increased from 1 April and you have 1 month to cancel your contract without penalty if you are not happy with the increase.

After receiving the same letter, I searched for alternative solutions and I found that combination of broadband only with VOIP phone line, you can save more than 50 % of Eircom price for similar product. You keep your existing number and you have Internet access.

We will discuss below different options that help to save more than 50% of upcoming Eircom prices.

Option A : Mobile broadband + VOIP – €17.98 per month
    The cheapest mobile broadband on the market is Three where you pays €7.99 per month.

For VOIP provider, there are 2 providers that offers the best product for your money:

- Blueface with Starter plan
    - Vomino with Standard plan

Combining Vodafone simply with a VOIP provider, you get a Broadband + Phone line at €17.98 per month.

To use Three mobile broadband with VOIP phone line, you need a router with Ethernet port. MiFi and Dongle does not work with broadband.

Option B : Wireless (microwave) broadband + VOIP - €39.94 per month
    If you live in rural area or urban area where you do not have good broadband signal, you should go for this option where you get broadband only from one Wireless (microwave) broadband provider and get VOIP from a different provider.

For wireless broadband, no provider cover the whole country. Each provider covers 1 to 3 counties. Here are some wireless provider with good review:

- Digiweb Metro broadband at €29.95 per month : Digiweb covers county Dublin
    - East Cork wireless broadband at €30 per month : East Cork broadband covers county Cork

For VOIP provider, there are 2 providers :

- Vomino with Standard plan at €9.99 per month
    - Blueface with Starter plan at €12.28 per month

Combining a Wireless broadband with a VOIP provider, you get a Broadband + Phone line at €39.94 per month

Option C : ADSL or Fiber broadband + VOIP - €44.94 per month
    If you live in area where you have good broadband signal, you should go for this option where you get broadband only from one provider and get VOIP from a different provider.

For broadband provider, there are 2 providers that offers the best product for your money:

- Digiweb Fiber broadband at €34.95 per month
    - Vodafone Simply broadband Vodafone at €35 per month

For VOIP provider, there are 2 providers :

- Vomino with Standard plan at €9.99 per month
    - Blueface with Starter plan at €12.28 per month

Combining Vodafone simply with a VOIP provider, you get a Broadband + Phone line at €44.94 per month

If anyone know how to save on phone bill by combining broadband only and VOIP, please let us know, everyone reading post is interested.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Digiweb provide their own VoIP services in-built with Metro and VDSL. No need to get a separate VoIP provider with these products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

At the very least ring Eircom and tell them you plan on cancelling and moving elsewhere. They will offer you the €33 for 6 months new customers deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

or go for UPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Is there a broadband only option with no landline with Eircom?

Rarely use the landline anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

boobar wrote: »

No they force you to pay for a line you may not need or want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mobile 'broadband' is not broadband.
    Go over to the broadband forum. It's not allowed to be discussed there. :D

It has it's own sub-forum called 'Midband'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Suppose I leave Eircom for another DSL provider.

1. Do I give Eircom notice?
    2. If so how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭ted1

foggy_lad wrote: »

The line carries the data, so you do need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Reedsie wrote: »
    At the very least ring Eircom and tell them you plan on cancelling and moving elsewhere. They will offer you the €33 for 6 months new customers deal.

I am leaving eircom as soon as my line is fixed. It's heading for 1 month and if these people can't fix a line nor apologise for it then I doubt they will offer a reduced6 months offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

ted1 wrote: »
    The line carries the data, so you do need it.
    vodafone do fibre broadband with no line rental for €35 per month. Eircom force you to pay for phone as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

foggy_lad wrote: »

Not so. I have standalone fibre broadband with Eircom. Currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Mobile 'broadband' is not broadband.
    Go over to the broadband forum. It's not allowed to be discussed there. :D

It has it's own sub-forum called 'Midband'.

This is what my phone pulls in Limerick City on the 4G network. Not too shabby, and not a bad hotspot on the go. I am on a €25 eMobile plan with 7.5GB/Month. My home 'Broadband' (which I can discuss on the broadband forum) is 2Mbps.

B7y3mWGCMAUdSyx.png:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

boobar wrote: »

Yes, Eircom do data only packages, don't think it's any cheaper though

wingnut wrote: »
    This is what my phone pulls in Limerick City on the 4G network. Not too shabby, and not a bad hotspot on the go. I am on a €25 eMobile plan with 7.5GB/Month. My home 'Broadband' (which I can discuss on the broadband forum) is 2Mbps.

B7y3mWGCMAUdSyx.png:large

Don't tell your neighbour cos when you do it's halved. With mobile the speeds quoted are what everyone shares. It's early days for 4G, wait till they oversell it, cos they will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Digiweb provide their own VoIP services in-built with Metro and VDSL. No need to get a separate VoIP provider with these products.

Their voip rates are terrible, I'd spend more on a single phone call to my family in the US or my family in the UK than 4 months with a finarea/betamax package see various prices here .

If you want to keep your irish number you can keep it with goldfish.ie for a couple of euros a months then put all your outgoing calls through betamax.

For example Digiweb vs Betamax
    Ireland mobile 20.95c vs 2.5c
    Ireland local 4.29c vs 0c
    UK landline 14.89c vs 0c
    UK mobile 39.95c vs 8c
    US mobile/landline 18.19c vs 0c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I regularly hassle Eircom and get a new deal. I currently have a contract until May, so are you saying I could pull out now, as I got this letter?

I was with UPC for years but it got pricey when I moved the TV to Sky. But a builder managed to cut the UPC cable where it comes into the house (didn't cut it outside, just inside), so I'm wondering if i'd have a problem getting UPC back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Option B : Wireless (microwave) broadband + VOIP - €39.94 per month
    If you live in rural area or urban area where you do not have good broadband signal, you should go for this option where you get broadband only from one Wireless (microwave) broadband provider and get VOIP from a different provider

Living in a rural area - we were SO GLAD when e-fibre finally rolled out to our area, as it has NO CONTENTION! Bear in mind that if you go 'wireless' broadband, be it microwave or satelite you WILL suffer from contention issues. I speak from experience! We'd go for Eircom e-fibre ANYDAY!

BTW, you don't have to have a phone line with Eircom to avail of broadband... when we signed up we only went with e-fibre option, with NO landline, and our BB speeds were far better than our previous 'wireless' provider, and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 curiouscrater

I am leaving eircom as soon as my line is fixed. It's heading for 1 month and if these people can't fix a line nor apologise for it then I doubt they will offer a reduced6 months offer.

I had crossed lines neighbour heard very personal conversation (should have hung up I know but she didn't ), rang eircom , came out lost service for a month, had to ring several times no joy blamed contractors, still no apologies, no follow up calls, i made all the calls, told them finally i was going to comreg and viola someone rang and told me that all works three weeks previous were done and it was only a matter of connecting something small, so a month of no phone or broadband for a small connection issue. COMPENSATION, months landline rent, this is 3rd time in a year i was out, not once did i get an apology and no one rang me, note you have to make claim within the billing period of disruption as I wasn't aware i could claim so i asked for compensation for previous outages, that was the response! Out for more than 10 days entitled to compensation! hope helps, rant over!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Paying €40 for 100Mb with 100 free minutes with Vodafone, good offer imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

boobar wrote:

yes there is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

Would this be able to get you out of the e vision contract? It is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't remember ever getting this letter. Definitely gonna use it to my advantage if/when it arrives.

Can anyone post up a copy of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

yes there is

can you provide a link please

Soarer wrote: »
    Don't remember ever getting this letter. Definitely gonna use it to my advantage if/when it arrives.

Can anyone post up a copy of it?

im same recieved no letter im paying 50 a month and can get voda for 35 if i can get out of my contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Eircom offer broadband only? Can you provide a link triple nipple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Not everyone got a letter. It depends on the bundle you're on as only some bundles are affected. I didn't get a letter but got an email. And I called and got a reduced €33 bundle for six months (unlimited broadband and free off peak calls). Suits me. It's €52 per month after the first 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Eircom offer broadband only? Can you provide a link triple nipple?

they do but don't advertise it. It's €43/month so still €8 more than Vodafone.

Rang them and rep didn't know what I was talking about. I wonder is this a customer loyalty offer of some kind?
    they do but don't advertise it. It's €43/month so still €8 more than Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭grinder23

Rang them and rep didn't know what I was talking about. I wonder is this a customer loyalty offer of some kind?

I'm looking at it in an Eircom/Emobile magazine I picked up yesterday and it is February edition it says €40 for up to 24mb speed or €43 for efibre both standalone broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

I have broadband only with eircom €40 a month, as far as they told me when i got it its only available on fibre but iv never seen it advertised

• Advertisement

Typical Eircom... I'll try again later.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Please, please don't try replacing your Eircom eFibre with 4G or fixed wireless, you will be sorry.

Here are the good options for saving money:

UPC
    - €40 - 120Mbs/12Mbs + unlimited anytime national calls + 400 international minutes
    - €45 - 240Mbs/24Mbs + unlimited anytime national calls + mobile + 400 international minutes

Vodafone
    - €35 - "upto" 100Mbs/20Mbs - no phone - 300GB cap (€10 per 100GB over the cap)

Eircom
    - Always a good idea to call them up and threaten to leave, say you got a quote from UPC, etc. They will normally give you a reduced rate for a few months to keep you.

I wouldn't bother with VoIP for calls etc. Instead look at your mobile plan. Tesco Mobile will give you unlimited calls, texts and 1GB of data for €15. Most people probably wouldn't need a landline with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

I'm at the end of an 18 month fibre contract so maybe only for existing customers.

When I replied that Vodafone are only €35, rep said 'so I'll cancel your account then?'. Doesn't seem to be much room for haggling though I wonder if I said I'll cancel would they have reduced it.

I didn't bother as I hadn't spoken to Vodafone yet but will cancel when I get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

bk wrote: »

I wouldn't bother with VoIP for calls etc. Instead look at your mobile plan. Tesco Mobile will give you unlimited calls, texts and 1GB of data for €15. Most people probably wouldn't need a landline with that.

I'm using that PAYG deal on Tesco & got other people on to it as well, as mum was running out of credit & would use the landline on occasion to ring a mobile, not for long, but it does add-up in the long-run unfortunately. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

Thanks OP going to look into this now

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

A lot of people like to kep their ladline number.

Is there a reliable competitor in the market for some onein a rural location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PUnited

this letter came only a couple of weeks before my contract was up and i looking to drop eircom and change to another crowd for bb with nearly the last 6 months haha

Adrian4 wrote: »

You can transfer the number to a VOIP provider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

You can transfer the number to a VOIP provider

Example www.goldfish.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tonybrowne.ie

Adrian4 wrote: »

Any VOIP provider covers rural location. You need to get a wireless (not satellite) broadband. Before you choose the VOIP provider, make sure that the VOIP equipment(analogue telephone adaptor) is not locked so that you can use it with a different provider in case you decided to switch to provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Stiro05

I live in mayo and have my internet with three. Last year I cancelled my phone with digiweb and moved on to voip with vomino (as I don't use the landline much to call out but I still needed to keep my landline number for my business). They can transfer your existing number to them and only pay 89.99 per year for practically unlimited calls including Europe landlines. You have to use something like a vonets var11n (I cant post links) to connect the adaptor that is supplied to a wifi modem. hope this makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

So I've already tried this over wireless. And it's NOT reliable enough.

Vodafone QOS voip traffic to the point of it being unusable unless you pay them extra
    Three latency is way too erratic

Quality of all over the shop. I can't imagine doing voip over anything other than a low latency wired connection

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tonybrowne.ie

I visited Three mobile shop and they have only 4G router with Ethernet port that can be used with VOIP equipment. The problem is that this router is expensive. It costs €179 for prepaid. I do not really need a 4G router because we have only 3G coverage in our area. Does anyone knows a cheap 4G or 3G unlocked router with Ethernet port?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I joined eircom in September on a six months half price deal and was able to get out of contract today and move to sky who gave me six months half price.

Rang the number for eircom that was on the email and he said I couldn't leave so rang 1901 and pressed 2,3,2 and they offered to remove the block on my account so i would have 30 days to switch to a new supplier.

If you want a better deal or want to leave it really depends on who you speak to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Ask to speak with the loyalty/retention team. They are he only department that can offer standalone bb.

Does anybody have a link to info on the eircom website about these price increases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I had crossed lines neighbour heard very personal conversation (should have hung up I know but she didn't ), rang eircom , came out lost service for a month, had to ring several times no joy blamed contractors, still no apologies, no follow up calls, i made all the calls, told them finally i was going to comreg and viola someone rang and told me that all works three weeks previous were done and it was only a matter of connecting something small, so a month of no phone or broadband for a small connection issue. COMPENSATION, months landline rent, this is 3rd time in a year i was out, not once did i get an apology and no one rang me, note you have to make claim within the billing period of disruption as I wasn't aware i could claim so i asked for compensation for previous outages, that was the response! Out for more than 10 days entitled to compensation! hope helps, rant over!

Thank you so much for your relply. I called the 1800 number only to told I could only claim compensation when the line was restored.
    Calling their customer care and fault lines nmber it is cleaR they are full of crAp.
    The most rude woman answered and told me it would be a month and I just had to put up wth it. I told her it was a month already . She then told me they were busy with e fibre rollout. I asked was it a mAnpower issues and she said yes. She the. Said that they had to apply for planning permission and if would be another month. I asked for a local technician or engineer to call me as the lies I have been told we're no longer acceptable . She said it wAs not possible. I said I spoke to the l spoke to the local technician on the 12th of jan who told me it required a heavy line to be replaced. She said no.
    So their list of excuses Are.
    -] needs 3 men to lift the cable (12th jan)
    -) needs a road maintenance crew to create road restrictions . 3weeks ago
    -) needs. A planning application. ( yesterdAy)

I live on a very very rurL one lane road where the line fault is. Very few. Are use the road typically 3 to ( cars a day.
    I can see the fault line and would pY to fix it myself.

A disgrace of a company. As are.comreg where I placed my complaint t
    Sure I'll have to put up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Can anyone nominate best landline only deal ? Parent's contract is currently with eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

On voip are you still in the phone book/ directory enquiries?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

http://m.independent.ie/business/eircom-price-increase-hands-its-customers-an-open-goal-30964832.html

This is great. I hardly use the landline at all so I've just been waiting to switch to Vodafone and their bb only for 35 a month instead of the 50 I'm paying .only have until the 15 th to cancel it. Might be worth putting that in the thread title OP

http://m.independent.ie/business/eircom-price-increase-hands-its-customers-an-open-goal-30964832.html

This is great. I hardly use the landline at all so I've just been waiting to switch to Vodafone and their bb only for 35 a month instead of the 50 I'm paying .only have until the 15 th to cancel it. Might be worth putting that in the thread title OP

Just as long as you are aware that Vodafone unlimited is not unlimited at all but has a 300GB limit, they charge per GB once you go over

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Just as long as you are aware that Vodafone unlimited is not unlimited at all but has a 300GB limit, they charge per GB once you go over

To be honest I wont go near that limit, but I'm sure it could well be relevant to a lot of other people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement