Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seated Leg press or Squat

• 06-02-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭

Good afternoon folks
    Like the title say's seated leg press or Squat which is better for you and should you do both in your leg workout ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Squat, ftw.

You can do the leg press as well but there are plenty of other exercises I'd be doing before it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd rank leg press fairly low on my list of leg exercises simply because it's a machine with a fixed plane of montion.

Squats are king, but be careful about form. Also make sure you do plenty of glute and hamstring specific work: glute ham raises, straight lege dead lifts etc.

Single leg us important too: single leg dls, split squats etc.

If you're doing all of that then fire away at the leg presses. :)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Plus squatting is more fun.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Also remember that the leg press you are not really lifting the weight but pushing it up a 45 degree incline.

So to exert the same amount of force at your feet as a 100kg squat you need to put ~140kg (100/cos(45) ) on the leg press. But you are also lifting the majority of your body weight when squatting so you need to add that to the initial figure.

If I have a 100kg bar on my back and I weigh 80kg the weight at my feet is 180kg, to get this same resistance on the leg press you need to throw on ~255kg of plates!

Anywhoo this is important to note and explains how people can throw 400kg on the leg press without getting turned inside out. 400kg on the leg press is like a 100kg guy doing a 180kg squat.

TLDR / Squat you talkin' bout Willis:

Science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

fbd.jpg

Pretty sure the vertical component of the force is the sin of the angle not the cos so 141kg :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

conzy wrote: »
    Also remember that the leg press you are not really lifting the weight but pushing it up a 45 degree incline.

So to exert the same amount of force at your feet as a 100kg squat you need to put ~140kg (100/cos(45) ) on the leg press. But you are also lifting the majority of your body weight when squatting so you need to add that to the initial figure.

If I have a 100kg bar on my back and I weigh 80kg the weight at my feet is 180kg, to get this same resistance on the leg press you need to throw on ~255kg of plates!

Anywhoo this is important to note and explains how people can throw 400kg on the leg press without getting turned inside out. 400kg on the leg press is like a 100kg guy doing a 180kg squat.

TLDR / Squat you talkin' bout Willis:

Science

Well, regardless of the calculations: I've 45 degree leg pressed 580kg (in plates) for 6 reps and I can't squat 180kg.

I'm 6'2" and 100kg.

Ignore the leg press, do squats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dermighty wrote: »
    Well, regardless of the calculations: I've 45 degree leg pressed 580kg (in plates) for 6 reps and I can't squat 180kg.

I'm 6'2" and 100kg.

That'll be the dark matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mate100

Squats are better because they hit more muscles but your form has to be correct. Leg press is generally for beginners or those with back injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

conzy wrote: »

I glad somebody else is aware of that. I've mentioned it a few times and people look at you is you are accusing them not not be able to add up the plates.

I don't think its accurate to add in full body weight and some of your body is static. But its everything from hips up, plus maybe 50% of the lower half, this must be 85% bodyweight.
    Pretty sure the vertical component of the force is the sin of the angle not the cos so 141kg :)
    It's a 45° angle, so the two components are equal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

The squat should definitely be first on your list of leg exercises but I also think the leg press is an underrated exercise. The majority of people that do the leg press do not do a full range of motion and are not getting the most from the exercise.

If only there was a hack squat machine in my gym.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Your foot position on the leg press has a profound effect on the muscles worked. Closer the heals the more its quad dominant, more wide stance gets more hams/glutes. I like it as an addition to squats, especially handy for putting large volume into you legs. Agreed that ROM make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

If only there was a hack squat machine in my gym.

Why do you need a machine? Use a barbell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'd a good workout by doing the 45 degree leg press combined with walking lunges with a plater held overhead. Wide stance on the press for that glute burn.

Advertisement