Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

Thanks PickledLime for the constructive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

ShaneU wrote: »
    No one has seen the ps4 or nextbox so you can't say that. .The wii u is on par with the current consoles, so I'd imagine plenty of games will come out on the next systems that won't run on wii u.

I think the Wii U is a good bit ahead of the current consoles. In terms of third party output, the PS3 and 360 are pretty much maxed out, while the Wii U is only in its first generation of software with dev teams only finding their feet with the tech.

Can you imagine what a first party title will look like in 3 or 4 years. The Wii U will be underpowered compared to the PS4/720 (although the equivalent jump between the 6th and 7th gen probably won't happen again), but the prospect of a Mario Galaxy or Zelda running with greater fidelity than say God of War 3 or Uncharted 3 is simply too much to resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Heartbroken, not even putting it mildly, that my son, who i was pinning all my hopes on for getting a Wii U from Santa, wants an Xbox, and seeing the price difference, my wife agrees.

The "all his friends have one argument" has won over the "could be the first in the school to have one" argument.

A black day in the dooferoaks household.

kevin2me wrote: »
    No offense but same crap being said for Wii and DS. People just not have a clue.
    Wii sold over 30 million more consoles than ps3. Nearly up to 100 million Wii sold.
    And that's pure profit on each wii vs ps3 sales at a loss. That's a proper business model for you. Sure its not best 3rd party console, but Wii u can level things up with 2nd wave of games, it have everything the other two will have.

I wish people would wait until they spent more than 5 minutes with before judging without educated clue, ive have spent hours with the new gamepad and suprising nintendo made it look very high quality indeed, screen is brilliant in it, latency is tech feat to behold at 60fps, its great to hold, incredibly light and touchscreen and more to boot, and it will be a success. And hopefully drop 50e in a years time so masses can enjoy it too.

At least Wii u and 360 continue to try add value and innovation, same cannot be said for sony, ps3 just got no soul to it. Bring on 30th Nov. Can't wait...

Not to be a fanboy or anything, but how exactly is PS+ not value? Pay to just play online? (albeit with a marginally better service), erm, no thanks.

There's not going to be any tech innovations this late into the PS3 (or 360s) lifecycle, but Sony are still supporting and developing new (and some pretty unique) IPs, moreso than either M'soft or Nintendo.

The 360 and PS3 are both fantastic consoles that greatly overshadow a few issues (and i'll probably be buying a Wii U in its first year at most), but to say that Sony doesn't try to add value and innovation is just plain unfounded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

No offense but same crap being said for Wii and DS. People just not have a clue.
    Wii sold over 30 million more consoles than ps3. Nearly up to 100 million Wii sold.
    And that's pure profit on each wii vs ps3 sales at a loss. That's a proper business model for you. Sure its not best 3rd party console, but Wii u can level things up with 2nd wave of games, it have everything the other two will have.

I wish people would wait until they spent more than 5 minutes with before judging without educated clue, ive have spent hours with the new gamepad and suprising nintendo made it look very high quality indeed, screen is brilliant in it, latency is tech feat to behold at 60fps, its great to hold, incredibly light and touchscreen and more to boot, and it will be a success. And hopefully drop 50e in a years time so masses can enjoy it too.

At least Wii u and 360 continue to try add value and innovation, same cannot be said for sony, ps3 just got no soul to it. Bring on 30th Nov. Can't wait...

what exactly does 360 do that sony doesn't in terms of innovation ?

the 360 is basically taken over where the sega dreamcast left off and kinetic is just a upgrade of eye toy

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Not to be a fanboy or anything, but how exactly is PS+ not value? Pay to just play online? (albeit with a marginally better service), erm, no thanks.

There's not going to be any tech innovations this late into the PS3 (or 360s) lifecycle, but Sony are still supporting and developing new (and some pretty unique) IPs, moreso than either M'soft or Nintendo.

The 360 and PS3 are both fantastic consoles that greatly overshadow a few issues (and i'll probably be buying a Wii U in its first year at most), but to say that Sony doesn't try to add value and innovation is just plain unfounded.

Hey dont get me wrong I have all 3 Consoles, I actually have two of each :)
    And im no one to judge, if someone loves PS3 or Wii or 360, then great and im delighted with that,
    We really been spoiled for choice over last few years, with so many AAA Games on each console.

I ended up getting a US PS3 on Launch day for 600$, but for me, feels like PS3 is practically same as the day it launched,
    for me I hate PS3 controller, its so similar to PS2. And all the problems PS3 has had last few years with Network Hacked, bugs in PS3 versions of games.

Whereas 360 UI gets better and better with each release, new console with HD Ports\ quieter fans etc is great improvement over old versions,
    kinect and its Voice Command features really work, new Dashboard looks good, they have added IE to it,
    along with Smartglass coming next month really makes 360 the standout console.
    Just feels like Sony lost ground this gen and 360 took its place, while Nintendo did what it does well and made load money of Console Sales and great selection 1st gen games and now with Nintendo Wii U coming out, Wii U and 360 will be my 2 primary consoles from here on in,
    and outside of Uncharted and likes only use the PS3 for its great BluRay player.

Im massive Nintendo Fanboy for all their innovation and 1st Party Titles,
    And Im really excited for Wii U, and for me I dont mind if its classed as current gen or next gen,
    as this generation isnt over yet. And with Wii U more or less same power as other 2, its not truely next gen.
    But the PS4\720 havent even been leaked yet, so no point comparing them yet, not until after E3,
    so Wii U should surely have another year if not 2 to battle it out, what Nintendo will do once they are out I dont know, hopefully they few more tricks up their sleeves. But hopefully now have least proper 3rd party support. They still have all big hitters yet to be announced so should be fun 2 years, with NEW Mario Game, MKart, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros and hopefully new FZero and more IP's to boot, and 3rd parties getting best of Wii U Features.
    Above games along with Gamepad and hopefully MiiVerse\TVii, I think Wii U could really catch on Game System that gets used by all the family each day. And I think that's what really could make Wii U a Winner but time will tell.

Anyways sorry if bit critical of PS3, but just my 2 cents.
    And My 2 cents barely get ya penny sweet anymore these days so probably not worth too much :)

Hey dont get me wrong I have all 3 Consoles, I actually have two of each :)
    And im no one to judge, if someone loves PS3 or Wii or 360, then great and im delighted with that...

Fair enough :)

I feel the opposite, thought the 360 absolutely owned the PS3 for a few years and kinda regretted buying the PS3 instead, but the tables have turned. I hate the 360 controller (asymmetrical sticks, shocking d-pad), Kinect is an impressive bit of kit but offers me nothing from a gaming perspective, the PSN appeals more to my game consumption in that i can dip in and out of online play if i like without having to cough up more money for a Live sub, i feel the 360 UI is now dreadful (and i loved the original 'blade' interface), i can stick in almost anything with a USB connector and the PS3 will get on with it (i play a lot of fighting games and use a USB Saturn pad). I'll happily admit that the PS3 does have inferior versions of multiplat titles most of the time, but for the most part it's not that big of a difference (the only one i was raging with was Bayonetta) and the audio is generally better on the PS3, which is something that i genuinely prefer to the 360's graphical edge.

Don't get me wrong, i think the 360 is a great console (and i'd nearly buy one for all the games i've missed on it but would prefer to put the cash towards the Wii U at this stage!), but the PS3 edges it for me.

Anyway, we both clearly enjoy our games, just prefer different consoles, so happy gaming all round :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Mr E wrote: »
    Awful awful ad.

It looks low budget, but it does get the idea across

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

See things you couldn't see before thanks to the gamepad! Like the detective mode in Arkham City! ...which you could see before, like a year ago when the game came out, by just pressing a button on a regular controller.

And I like how it's obvious that the TV screen is in detective mode as well, so there's actually no need to look at the gamepad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Heartbroken, not even putting it mildly, that my son, who i was pinning all my hopes on for getting a Wii U from Santa, wants an Xbox, and seeing the price difference, my wife agrees.

The "all his friends have one argument" has won over the "could be the first in the school to have one" argument.

A black day in the dooferoaks household.

Or time to start educating him about console lifecycles, and about the Wii U...

Ok Xbox 360 for me has been my console headliner for 4 years now, can any of you see the wii u being your main console or will ps or Xbox fanboys in all of us take the wii u as a second console?

Ps3 ans WII have both been my main consoles the xbox is my bros main one. I dont think there is a console out there to make everyone happy no matter what. My nintendo systems are usually for nintendo games and exclusives to the console while my ps3 is for everything else. But I still play the Wii even to this day despite there not really being any new games for it that interest me.

Ok Xbox 360 for me has been my console headliner for 4 years now, can any of you see the wii u being your main console or will ps or Xbox fanboys in all of us take the wii u as a second console?

well this gen for me was my first time trying to play all consoles and simply put i cant afford to do that , me having skipped nintendo consoles since snes , when i purchased the wii in 08 i simply wrote it off as a family party system and was not till 2 years after till i was looking through its library it was easily my fav console this gen. No disrespect to sony having being a ps user since 1998 other than uncharted , demon souls, yakuza and few of their psn titles i am not that fond of their first party stuff.

the wii introduced me to alot of great nintendo first party games i loved like zelda tp,skyward sword and having the privilege to buy the zelda 3ds that came with oot i loved that game aswell

then theres sin and punishment, metroid prime 3 corruption, mario galaxy , smash bros , theres just alot of quality there i dont wanna miss out on

if that werent enough platinum games , one of my fav japanese developers are putting alot of quality exclusives to wii u already , capcom monster hunter i wanna try so ALL of this makes me want a wii u.

the only question is how will 3rd party be down the next 5-10 years , this is too soon to answer but theres only fallout , mortal kombat and sonic that matters most to me and 2 of them should be on wii u no problems.

so to answer your question could wii u be my primary console of choice ..yes
    but someday down the line i could pick up a ps4 aswell if the games are there to tempt me :D

I was thinking today , can you imagine that tablet controller is going to do with games like fatal frame , its really gonna feel like im holding the camera and taken pictures of ghost :eek:

Also i feel this may be the first time truly rts games will work fantastic on consoles , positioning your soldiers by moving your finger across the tablet screen.

Of course the likes of fightining games will be little difficult to adjust to but it seems the pro controller will be fairly alright for it

Seems more and more like an all round system nintendo has got their hands on here. Honestly im still not a fan of motion control gaming , even when skyward sword showed me that the tech isnt quite there yet and im never gonna adjust to it

Anyways bring on wii u release , wont be till after new years i be able to pick one up but i love to hear peoples hands on impressions of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

The Wii has been my main console since its launch. I could have afforded the others but I'm a Nintyhoare. Truth be told, my 3DS has been my main console for the last few months though. I'd pop back to the Wii if I found a decent gem in the bargain buckets (like I did with Sin&Punishment).

WiiU will deffo be my main console when I get it after chrimbo. I really don't need more than one tv console and don't see the need for more. I just want to play games really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Just had a thought. The Wii U could take Pokemon Snap to a whole new level :D

• Advertisement

smokingman wrote: »
    The Wii has been my main console since its launch. I could have afforded the others but I'm a Nintyhoare. Truth be told, my 3DS has been my main console for the last few months though. I'd pop back to the Wii if I found a decent gem in the bargain buckets (like I did with Sin&Punishment).

WiiU will deffo be my main console when I get it after chrimbo. I really don't need more than one tv console and don't see the need for more. I just want to play games really.

Yeah agree we should have or create a boards wii u clan for blops and FIFA etc??

Gonna pick up a ps vita as a travelling companion. I know u can never have too much ninty but always nice to have other options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Yeah agree we should have or create a boards wii u clan for blops and FIFA etc??

Gonna pick up a ps vita as a travelling companion. I know u can never have too much ninty but always nice to have other options :)

travelling companion should be covered by 3DS :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Or time to start educating him about console lifecycles, and about the Wii U...

I hear that xbox is at the end of it's life!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nintendo - Ruining Polls Since The 80's

I voted "Not getting one as it stands"....now I've a €100 deposit down on one :o

I know I am going to bend like a little b!tch come late November. The idea of Super Mario HD is incredibly appealing for no reason.

Yeah agree we should have or create a boards wii u clan for blops and FIFA
    I'd be well on for a clan alright. I was a temp in the n-Europe blops1 wii clan for a while and that was great fun.

I'd be well on for a clan alright. I was a temp in the n-Europe blops1 wii clan for a while and that was great fun.

I'm a member of IRL Xbox clan, the craic is 90 if like minded players come together!!!

Jesus I'm dying to get this console now :D

• Advertisement

I'm a member of IRL Xbox clan, the craic is 90 if like minded players come together!!!

Jesus I'm dying to get this console now :D
    That's the thing though, one gobshyte is all it takes to ruin a clan meet. Shouldn't be any prob here though; we're all effin deadly! :D

That's the thing though, one gobshyte is all it takes to ruin a clan meet. Shouldn't be any prob here though; we're all effin deadly! :D

If we wanted players can be given trial period say after we set up an initial community??

One thing I really don't want to do is play blops 2 on my own :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mr.D.CraicLAAD

I'd be up to joining a clan, if only to make my Miiverse screen that little bit more crowded. I'm getting the Zombi U premium pack at launch with Blops 2 Fifa and either Nintendo Land or a headset

I'd be up to joining a clan, if only to make my Miiverse screen that little bit more crowded. I'm getting the Zombi U premium pack at launch with Blops 2 Fifa and either Nintendo Land or a headset

Have they announced wii u headsets??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

http://www.cio.com/article/719878/Nintendo_Wii_U_pre_orders_strong_shortages_likely_this_year
    Nintendo said Thursday pre-order sales of its new Wii U console are strong and the game is likely to have shortages this holiday season after its launch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Any word if Lego City Undercover will be out before Xmas? Best I can see is 'launch window' which could be anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Any word if Lego City Undercover will be out before Xmas? Best I can see is 'launch window' which could be anything

The "Launch Window" is any time between launch and March. I'd say it'll be there in the new year.

gubbie wrote: »
    The "Launch Window" is any time between launch and March. I'd say it'll be there in the new year.

Damn, was hoping to pick it up as a jesus day present

Damn, was hoping to pick it up as a jesus day present

Jesus day :pac:

Ign has done their previews for zombie u and rayman

Seen those games in action aswell as wonderful 101 ,even nsmb u speed runs and sonic and sega all star racing transformed nintendo are gonna kill every bit of money i have left

And not only that , i have games like bioshock infinite , ni no kuni , anarchy reigns in 2013 for ps3

May god have mercy on me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Tayla wrote: »
    Does anyone know if nintendo land will be playable with the pro controller or the classic controller rather than the wiimote and Nunchuck or are games like mario chase made so that the extra players have to use the wiimote?

yes nintendo land will be playable with the pro controller or the classic controller or wii u pro controller

the wii launch games are nintendo land, zombiu, new super mario bros u, FiFa 13, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Tank Tank Tank , TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops II , Mass Effect 3, Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, Family Party 30 Great Games: Obstacle Arcade, Darksiders II - Wii U, Assassin's Creed III, NBA 2K13, 007 Legends, transformers prime, Skylander Giants, Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013, WII U FIT, Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, Just Dance 4, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Warriors Orochi 3, Lego City Undercover, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Rise of the Guardians, Madden NFL 13, Sing Party, Funky Barn, Wipeout 3, Dragon Quest X, Batman: Arkham City Armor Edition, Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Game Party Champions, Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, Sangokushi 12, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage, Injustice: Gods Among Us, The Cave, The Wonder 101, Rabbits Land, Sports Connection, Cloudberry Kingdom, Bayonetta 2, Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012, Chasing Aurora,

• Advertisement

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    the wii launch games are nintendo land, zombiu, new super mario bros u, FiFa 13, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Tank Tank Tank , TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops II , Mass Effect 3, Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, Family Party 30 Great Games: Obstacle Arcade, Darksiders II - Wii U, Assassin's Creed III, NBA 2K13, 007 Legends, transformers prime, Skylander Giants, Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013, WII U FIT, Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, Just Dance 4, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Warriors Orochi 3, Lego City Undercover, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Rise of the Guardians, Madden NFL 13, Sing Party, Funky Barn, Wipeout 3, Dragon Quest X, Batman: Arkham City Armor Edition, Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Game Party Champions, Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, Sangokushi 12, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage, Injustice: Gods Among Us, The Cave, The Wonder 101, Rabbits Land, Sports Connection, Cloudberry Kingdom, Bayonetta 2, Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012, Chasing Aurora,

Argh my eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Argh my eyes!

The fact that it's wrong (hint: Bayonetta 2) makes it even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As he just pulls the info from the Nintendo magazines (And doesn't seem to read anything here), it's just a list of confirmed titles that have been announced.
    NOT launch titles. Though the majority of them are 'Launch window' titles.

There are 25 actual launch games as far as i know. Rayman Legends
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    Assassin’s Creed III
    ZombiU
    Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
    Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
    TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2
    Scribblenauts Unlimited
    Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
    Rabbids Land
    Just Dance 4
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    MADDEN NFL 13
    NBA 2K13
    TRANSFORMERS PRIME
    Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
    Game Party Champions
    ESPN Sports Connection
    Darksiders II
    Nintendo Land
    New Super Mario Bros. U

As far as I know thats for the NA release but im sure europe is more less the exact same. And the list dosnt include eshop titles.

Source: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/09/16/wii-u-launch-games-list-is-mighty-impressive/

There are 25 actual launch games as far as i know. Rayman Legends
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    Assassin’s Creed III
    ZombiU
    Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
    Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
    TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2
    Scribblenauts Unlimited
    Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
    Rabbids Land
    Just Dance 4
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    MADDEN NFL 13
    NBA 2K13
    TRANSFORMERS PRIME
    Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
    Game Party Champions
    ESPN Sports Connection
    Darksiders II
    Nintendo Land
    New Super Mario Bros. U

As far as I know thats for the NA release but im sure europe is more less the exact same. And the list dosnt include eshop titles.

Source: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/09/16/wii-u-launch-games-list-is-mighty-impressive/

That looks right except for Rayman Legends. It was delayed until Q1 2013.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    That looks right except for Rayman Legends. It was delayed until Q1 2013.

That list is actually from a few weeks backs. I didnt know it was delayed? Dont have much interest in it but at the same time it looks fun.

Yeah it was announced about 2 weeks ago. Rayman Origins was brilliant so I'm really looking forward to it. Gives me something to look forward to when I finish with the launch games I suppose.
    Deano7788 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Nollog

Also be careful when using websites. They tend to forget differences between Europe and America when posting launch lists.

nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/need_for_speed_most_wanted_wii_u_listing.png

i got my info from official Nintendo Magazine

• Advertisement

i got my info from official Nintendo Magazine

They would be release window games. Which is November 30th to March 2012

Advertisement