Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child sex abuse - UK elite stayed silent

• 07-01-2011 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭

Damning reports in several early editions of the papers about not only the sexual abuse of several teenage girls at the hands of British Pakistanis, but the failure of charities and agencies to address the number of sexual abuse offenders from this ethnic group.

Echoes of the culture of secrecy involving our own Catholic Church and leading authorities for far too many decades here. Expect more reports in the coming days!
    But in 17 court cases since 1997 where groups of men were prosecuted for grooming 11 to 16 year old girls on the street, 53 of the 56 people found guilty were Asian, 50 of them Muslim, while just three were white, The Times reported.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8240202/Cover-up-claims-over-Asian-sex-gangs.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The piece is rather fractured and seems to relate to only one area, which may be predominantly Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Victor wrote: »
    The piece is rather fractured and seems to relate to only one area, which may be predominantly Muslim.

So those court cases statistics in the article are not a cause for concern to you then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Why the hell are there so many of these sickos all over the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Wow, talk about a sensationalist thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So those court cases statistics in the article are not a cause for concern to you then?

"Court cases". That would be the criminal justice system in action. The police have known about this for some time, and have been dealing with it. It just doesn't get talked about that much, for fear of being seized on by racists.

Whether that's right or wrong is a perfectly reasonable discussion point, but it has little to do with the Catholic Church abuse cases, which were about knowing but doing nothing.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    "Court cases". That would be the criminal justice system in action. The police have known about this for some time, and have been dealing with it. It just doesn't get talked about that much, for fear of being seized on by racists.

Whether that's right or wrong is a perfectly reasonable discussion point, but it has little to do with the Catholic Church abuse cases, which were about knowing but doing nothing.

Disagree. In what is meant to be a truly free society, a person who is convicted of sexual abuse should warrant no more/less coverage and scrutiny than anyone else convicted of a similar offence.

Issues like this lift the lid on how influential people can keep certain uncomfortable truths away from the glare, which is why this overlaps with the failure of media/politicians/guards in our own country for dealing with epidemic clerical abuse at a fairly quick rate.

The phrase 'when good men do nothing, evil triumphs' came into my head while reading this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Disagree. In what is meant to be a truly free society, a person who is convicted of sexual abuse should warrant no more/less coverage and scrutiny than anyone else convicted of a similar offence.

Issues like this lift the lid on how influential people can keep certain uncomfortable truths away from the glare, which is why this overlaps with the failure of media/politicians/guards in our own country for dealing with epidemic clerical abuse at a fairly quick rate.

It's not a fair comparison. In the case of priest abuse (as I understand it, not having read the full reports) Gardai, politicians and Church officials knew that crimes had been committed, and conspired to cover it up in order to prevent justice from being done. This case is just about the reporting of cases that have reached court, and where justice has been done.

You say "UK elite stayed silent", but the article you linked to was about charities and agencies. Which influential people are you talking about? And what do you propose be done that hasn't been already? As I said, the police are on the case, and have been for some time.

Lumen wrote: »
    It's not a fair comparison. In the case of priest abuse (as I understand it, not having read the full reports) Gardai, politicians and Church officials knew that crimes had been committed, and conspired to cover it up in order to prevent justice from being done. This case is just about the reporting of cases that have reached court, and where justice has been done.

You say "UK elite stayed silent", but the article you linked to was about charities and agencies. Which influential people are you talking about? And what do you propose be done that hasn't been already? As I said, the police are on the case, and have been for some time.

Charities and agencies have CEO's too, so I would gather these people could be described as 'important' in society in general.

What do I propose? I propose that more politicians in Westminster, or on city councils, recognise that uncontrolled immigration (as opposed to restricted immigration) brings a lot of dangers with it.

As long as unforgivable stuff like this does not happen to their sons/daughters/nephews living in nice, mostly white, middle class areas, I doubt they will tackle it though.

What exactly are you expecting them to do? Should they go running to the papers to tell them some Pakistani men abused children? They don't make a fuss when white men do it.

What has been covered up here exactly? People abused children, they were charged, prosecuted and given appropriate sentences. All this is in the public domain, just because the info wasn't presented in the way it has been here, does not equal a cover up.

While this has not been a total cover-up, it is the undereporting by the media to its readers/viewers, and the lack of any severe criticisms from mainstream politicians and agencies that hint at a problem that isn't exposed like it should be.

The elephant in the room is that the statistics seem to grossly over-represent Pakistanis in comparison to the percentage of them living in Britain, yet no further coverage on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Has there been only 17 cases in the UK since 1997 relating to prosecutions for grooming of 11-16 year olds? I think thats the most important thing when it comes to understanding the true context of the stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So the men were arrested, so I fail to see the so called cover up. Also, 17 cases from one area, tells us very little about any over all trend either. So again, I fail to see the cover up, and I would expect far more comprehensive stats to back up the claims, but I doubt they will be forth coming.

I don't have a set of comprehensive statistics in front of me, but the fact in the one above that highlighted was a disproportionate amount of offenders from the one ethnic group, is why I wonder other leading spokespeople from the world of media/politics/justice are not mentioning this.

Now today, Jack Straw is getting slammed by several of his colleagues for pretty much saying like it is all under the banner in their minds of supposedly being racially sensitive!

In other words, they are continuing to pussyfoot ariound the big problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Now today, Jack Straw is getting slammed by several of his colleagues for pretty much saying like it is

You mean "pretty much saying what I want to hear"....

But Helen Brayley, from University College London's Jill Dando Institute of Security and Crime Science, said people should not draw hasty conclusions.
    Ms Brayley, who wrote the first independent academic analysis of child sex trafficking, said: "When you jump in with thinking about race too quickly, you can miss a whole load of other things that are happening in other areas.
    "So by racially stereotyping this early on without a national scoping project...we don't know what the situation is in other areas around the country, that you might be leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy of if people are looking for Asian offenders, they will only find Asian offenders."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12142177

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I read about it on the BBC website, saw it breaking on BBC news then later on Channel 4 and ITV.
    The Guardian also ran on it.

How exactly is this 'under-reported'???

JustinDee wrote: »
    I read about it on the BBC website, saw it breaking on BBC news then later on Channel 4 and ITV.
    The Guardian also ran on it.

How exactly is this 'under-reported'???

Today they are picking up steam with it I admit, but still over the years there has been a lack of addressing this serious issue an the consequences for vulnerable young women.

For example, Channel 4, on complaints by the West Yorkshire police, back in 2004 decided to pull a documentary alleging that the Pakistani gangs were abusing many local girls.

As I have argued earlier, a complicity of silence helps no one bar the perpetrators in the long run, and the media, politicans and police authorities have a lot of explaining to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

This has been going on for years and is present in every city in England
    It's has been covered up to a degree
    I saw a newsnight show(BBC) on this and they never mentioned the race element once and that has only a few weeks ago.
    Jack Straw has just commented on it.
    He was questions to answer for not acting when he was in power
    The mans a coward.
    jack straw wrote: »
    But there is a specific problem which involves Pakistani heritage men... who target vulnerable young white girls. "We need to get the Pakistani community to think much more clearly about why this is going on and to be more open about the problems that are leading to a number of Pakistani heritage men thinking it is OK to target white girls in this way."

Here's another article which address the cover up
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344218/Asian-sex-gangs-Culture-silence-allows-grooming-white-girls-fear-racist.html#ixzz1A9w8aCps
    Police and social services have been accused of fuelling a culture of silence which has allowed hundreds of young white girls to be exploited by Asian men for sex.
    Agencies have identified a long-term pattern of offending by gangs of men, predominantly from the British Pakistani community, who have befriended and abused hundreds of vulnerable girls aged 11 to 16.

Experts claim the statistics represent a mere fraction of a 'tidal wave' of offending in counties across the Midlands and the north of England which has been going on for more than a decade.

A senior officer at West Mercia police has called for an end to the 'damaging taboo' connecting on-street grooming with race.

Detective Chief Inspector Alan Edwards said: 'These girls are being passed around and used as meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

This has been going on for years and is present in every city in England
    It's has been covered up to a degree
    I saw a newsnight show(BBC) on this and they never mentioned the race element once and that has only a few weeks ago.
    Jack Straw has just commented on it.
    He was questions to answer for not acting when he was in power
    The mans a coward.

Here's another article which address the cover up
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344218/Asian-sex-gangs-Culture-silence-allows-grooming-white-girls-fear-racist.html#ixzz1A9w8aCps

It is to do with Islam and those who are Muslims and those who are not. It isn't race it is culture. Most Pakistanis I know would be horrified at this but still would hate their kids marrying a white unless the white converted to Islam. This has also been a big problem in Scandinavia where Muslim men are disproportionately represented in the rape statistics.

Palmach wrote: »
    It is to do with Islam and those who are Muslims and those who are not. It isn't race it is culture. Most Pakistanis I know would be horrified at this but still would hate their kids marrying a white unless the white converted to Islam. This has also been a big problem in Scandinavia where Muslim men are disproportionately represented in the rape statistics.

It's true there is issues in Scandinavia as well
    true stats are hard to come by as some countries do not collect
    racial stats on crime like Sweden
    However in Oslo Norway a police chief recently broke the silence
    Hanne Kristine Rohde
    "All 21 reported cases of rape with aggravated assault — the highest number since records were started — in the Norwegian capital of Oslo last year were committed by non-Western immigrants(mainly Turkish and African men) and 90 percent of all rape victims were Norwegian women, police have announced.
    Oslo police spokesman Hanne Kristine Rohde defied the strictures of political correctness to release the figures in an interview on the national Norwegian broadcaster, NRK.
    The number of rapes with violent assault committed in Oslo also doubled compared to 2008. According to the police statement, in each and every case, not only in 2008 and 2009 but also in 2007, the offender was a non-Western immigrant. At the same time, in 9 out of 10 cases, the victim was Norwegian, not just by nationality, but also by ethnicity.
    The NRK report concluded that not a single one of the offenders had a Western background.
    "
    heres the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN13ma9bc2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

It's true there is issues in Scandinavia as well
    the figures in an interview on the national Norwegian broadcaster, NRK.

Well done Hanne Kristine Rohde.

• Advertisement

It was the recent case in Derby that appears to lead to all the recent media
    reports on this,, the Gang was convicted yesterday.

//www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-12137400

The ringleaders of a gang which groomed and abused teenage girls in Derby have been given indeterminate jail terms.
    Mohammed Liaqat, 28, and Abid Saddique, 27, were found guilty at a trial in November of charges including rape.
    At Nottingham Crown Court, Saddique was jailed for at least 11 years and Liaqat for a minimum of eight.
    Many of the gang's victims were given alcohol or drugs before being forced to have sex in cars, rented houses or hotels across the Midlands.
    Six other men have already been sentenced for their part in the abuse.

Also here's Martin Narey chief executive of the charity Barnardos

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9350000/9350382.stm
    Martin Narey, chief executive of the charity Barnardos, told the programme that the problem of grooming was much more widespread than people realised.
    "If there's one good thing that will come out of the Derby case it is that people, including police services around the country, will realise that this is probably happening everywhere.
    "We happen to work in 21 towns and cities in the UK where we discover it but I think it's probably happening in most towns and cities. And it preys on vulnerable, isolated young girls and sometimes boys."

Attention focused towards possible Scottish cases today:

But Shafiq, director of the Muslim youth group the Ramadhan Foundation, said he'd been alerted to a similar situation in Glasgow.
    He said: "There is a Scottish connection, insofar as someone rang me and told me about it happening in Glasgow.
    "That was one person who was concerned enough to ring me and alert me, but there is no evidence from the police or any other avenue that this is actually happening.
    "It's based on one comment, rather than evidence."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/01/10/alert-over-scottish-link-to-asian-sex-abuse-gangs-86908-22838641/

Attention focused towards possible Scottish cases today:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/01/10/alert-over-scottish-link-to-asian-sex-abuse-gangs-86908-22838641/

Aha.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Its a bit rich Jack Straw going on about this issue in opposition considering the controversy relating to MP Anne Cryer when labour were in power raising these issues.

And yes it would seem to have been historically under reported considering the profile these types of cases normally get

Its a bit rich Jack Straw going on about this issue in opposition considering the controversy relating to MP Anne Cryer when labour were in power raising these issues.

His statement was not unrelated to the Oldham by-election. There's been a strong BNP turn out there on occassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

This is not a racial issue but a cultural issue, and here in lies the flaw in the multicultural agenda, that it is perhaps best not to be too culturally accommodating towards migrants who's cultural attitudes towards women in general (not just western women) are, frankly, appalling.
    There is a pervasive attitude that, as long as the abuse is perpetrated within their own community then it is none of our concern.
    We had, for example, a witchdoctor in Dublin that circumcised a child that subsequently bled to death. Did this butcher go to jail? Did he hell, he was given a suspended sentence by a judge that had the gall to say that we could not 'judge people by our own cultural standards'.
    We don't even have to look as far afield as North African migrants. A social worker I know once told me that what goes on behind doors in many traveler encampments throughout Ireland would put the child abuse scandal in the Catholic Church in the halfpenny place, and that in 20yrs time we will be having tribunals of investigation as to how the state could have allowed a deference to cultural sensitivity stand in the way of child protection and the kinds of abuse that many children are suffering right now.
    Multiculturalism to my mind implies that if you are ‘other’ you are not entitled to the same protection under the law, nor are you held to the same legal standards as the rest of society.

Nodin wrote: »
    Aha.....

It seems like you expect this problem to go away now!

It seems like you expect this problem to go away now!

No, I'm pointing out

with regards to your claim "Attention focused towards possible Scottish cases today:".

No, I'm pointing out

with regards to your claim "Attention focused towards possible Scottish cases today:".

Well, I made sure to post the word 'possible' in that post.

Anyway, it is significant if a director of a Muslim youth group is concerned about what he's hearing!

• Advertisement

Well, I made sure to post the word 'possible' in that post.

Anyway, it is significant if a director of a Muslim youth group is concerned about what he's hearing!

I rather consistently tear the arse out of people for coming out with anecdotes. Directors of Muslim youth groups don't get a papal exemption.

Well considering the huge coverage in the media, he would be silly not too. Also, if he is a decent director of a youth group, he should certainly take pro-active action.

The guy got 1 phone call, and says there is no evidence or anything either. So again, we see something that doesn't prove the claims being made by people.

Also, its hardly just people of Asian descent involved in these kind of crimes:

Colin Blanchard could spend life in jail for role in paedophile ring

I look forward to all kind of exaggerated nonsense on Sky News and there ilk, oh wait that crime wasn't by a minority group, so no need draw conclusions from a single case, and dodgy comments from politicans.

wes wrote: »
    I look forward to all kind of exaggerated nonsense on Sky News and there ilk, oh wait that crime wasn't by a minority group, so no need draw conclusions from a single case, and dodgy comments from politicans.

I don't know what the surprise is about these recent cases being a media issue this story is not new, the fact that it keeps reappearing might be because there is some truth behind it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article2237940.ece

I don't know what the surprise is about these recent cases being a media issue this story is not new, the fact that it keeps reappearing might be because there is some truth behind it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article2237940.ece

Yes, and i see plenty of cases all time involving other ethnic groups as well. Wouldn't make such generalizations about them true either. All that article has is generalizations from one politician.

Also, seeing as we know that other ethnic groups are involved in such crimes, I am going to go out on a limb here, and say that they probably have pretty deplorable attitudes towards Woman, and that you will find similar attitudes among people who commits such crimes regardless of ethnicity.

Again, a lot of claims are being made, that don't have much in the way of proof to back them up. Thus far we have gotten the following:
    But in 17 court cases since 1997 where groups of men were prosecuted for grooming 11 to 16 year old girls on the street, 53 of the 56 people found guilty were Asian, 50 of them Muslim, while just three were white, The Times reported.

Now far be it for me to point out that just 17 cases is no proof of a trend. You would need to look at a hell of a lot more than 17 cases to make any kind of claims of a trend.

Also, I taught the following CIF article raised some interesting points regarding the investigation:
    Grooming and our ignoble tradition of racialising crime

--SNIP--
    The Times investigation is based around 56 men convicted in the Midlands and north of England since 1997, 50 from Muslim backgrounds. Granted, such prosecutions are notoriously difficult to sustain, but, nonetheless, this is a small sample used to evidence the "tidal wave" of offending referred to by unnamed police sources. Martin Narey, the chief executive of Barnardo's, which has run projects in the areas concerned for many years, tells me that, while he is pleased to see open discussion of child sexual exploitation, he worries that "decent Pakistani men will now be looked at as potential child abusers". He insists: "This is not just about Pakistani men, and not just about Asian men. And it is happening all over the country."

While Narey acknowledges that "in the Midlands and north of England there does seem to be an over-representation of minority ethnic men in [offending] groups", he argues strongly that no useful conclusions can be drawn until the government undertakes a serious piece of research into what is a nationwide problem. (Keith Vaz, who chairs the Commons home affairs select committee called for such an inquiry today.) Narey also refutes the allegation that Muslim men are grooming white girls because of cultural assumptions about their sexual availability, as girls from minority backgrounds have been similarly abused.

Thus no official data exists on the ethnic or religious background of perpetrators of this form of child abuse, and local charities have stated publicly that they do not consider it a race issue. But it is worth noting that, when asked by the Times to collate its recent work according to ethnicity, Engage – based in Blackburn and one of the largest multi-agency organisations working on this issue – found that in the past year that 80% of offenders were white.
    --SNIP--

So again, the claims being made need a hell of a lot more statistical evidences than 17 cases to draw any kind of useful conclusion from. Also, the fact that there is no official data on the ethnic or religious background on perpetrators makes me wonder how the Times came by such figures.

Now of course the sensible thing to do with be to get official figures to see if the claims are being made are true or not, as opposed to using a tiny sample size, and make claims of the basis of that.

Also, the fact that there is no official data on the ethnic or religious background on perpetrators makes me wonder how the Times came by such figures.

Well to be honest you can generally work out some ones ethnic background by their name and a photo (though may not be the ethnic group they self-classify themselves as which is way census asks it), in terms of the religion thing that is more interesting, perhaps if they all received custodial sentences the prison information is available and that would have information on their dietary restrictions showing who required halal.

I am not saying that a racial profiling is ever acceptable, or even useful from a policing perspective,
    I do think however that ignoring the figures is a being naive, these are all the people that have been charged under this law, over 85% of them share a characteristic (other than gender) that is surprising and worth looking at.

"Thus no official data exists on the ethnic or religious background of perpetrators of this form of child abuse, and local charities have stated publicly that they do not consider it a race issue. But it is worth noting that, when asked by the Times to collate its recent work according to ethnicity, Engage – based in Blackburn and one of the largest multi-agency organisations working on this issue – found that in the past year that 80% of offenders were white."

This is an important point and illustrates what I mean about looking at this figure, is there a bias in criminal system for this area as the stated figures from the charity and the prosecutions do not match up.

Sorry meant to hit quick reply not thanks there now,

Additionally from a statistical sense, the population is 56 (individuals convicted under this law), the breakdown is 53, 3 other. feeling so retarded at the minute that can't even remember how to do chi-squared test sorry

• Advertisement

Well to be honest you can generally work out some ones ethnic background by their name and a photo (though may not be the ethnic group they self-classify themselves as which is way census asks it),

To a degree this can work, but there is no such thing as Pakistani ethnicty for example. I would be put into that group myself, which makes no sense, as someone like me of Kashmiri descent, is not the same as someone of Balochi descent for example, both which would be consider Pakistani. Of course in my case, there is the added complication, that some would claim that Kashmiri's are Indian instead. We would be culturally very different, in that our parents languages would be different, we would eat different food, have different customs etc. So lumping us all together in one group doesn't make much sense.
    in terms of the religion thing that is more interesting, perhaps if they all received custodial sentences the prison information is available and that would have information on their dietary restrictions showing who required halal.

That may be the case, but it would be nice to know the methodology behind it.
    I am not saying that a racial profiling is ever acceptable, or even useful from a policing perspective,
    I do think however that ignoring the figures is a being naive, these are all the people that have been charged under this law, over 85% of them share a characteristic (other than gender) that is surprising and worth looking at.

The figures are based on 17 cases. No useful conclusions can be made on that basis. I am not ignoring the figures at all, just pointing out that for a useful conclusion a lot more data is needed. Again 17 cases, doesn't tell us anything except what happen in those 17 cases. A lot more data, that is properly collected is needed for there to be any kind of trends etc to be idetified.
    "Thus no official data exists on the ethnic or religious background of perpetrators of this form of child abuse, and local charities have stated publicly that they do not consider it a race issue. But it is worth noting that, when asked by the Times to collate its recent work according to ethnicity, Engage – based in Blackburn and one of the largest multi-agency organisations working on this issue – found that in the past year that 80% of offenders were white."

This is an important point and illustrates what I mean about looking at this figure, is there a bias in criminal system for this area as the stated figures from the charity and the prosecutions do not match up.

Well, the thing about prosecutions, is that the study doesn't state that those 17 cases represeted all the prosecutions either, and the study wasn't country wide either. The study is incredibly limited, and that is my problem with it. It is far to limited to draw a useful conclusion from, and we also don't have any idea of what methodology they used, or what criteria was used for these cases etc.

Another case today nine more arrests.
    Its not in the link but I heard on news BBC that there is
    a police probe into the police handling of this
    Internal investigations!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-12159058
    They were held on suspicion of rape, inciting child prostitution, allowing a premises to be used for prostitution and sexual activity with a child.
    The Asian men, aged between 20 and 40 from Rochdale and Heywood, were arrested on 21 December.

The media have found a victim in glasgow

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-s-picks/these-men-took-my-innocence-as-they-lured-me-into-a-sickening-world-of-abuse-1.1079252
    He was selling me. In just a few months I’d slept with more than 60 men Caroline, aged 14 (not her real name)

When you look at
    the number of cases where there is a conviction
    the number of victims and crimnals in each of these cases
    and then guestitmate
    the number of cases investigated with no conviction
    the number of cases where no or little investigation occured.

This has the potential to be a massive scandal
    Bearing in mind the cover up and how difficult it it to get a
    conviction in these type of cases.
    its needs a Ryan report type inquiry
    to get to the bottom of whats going on/gone on and needs a special unit
    to deal with it.

"This is going on in every town and city in the UK."
    The words of Martin Narey, chief executive of Barnardo's, which runs a number of projects working with hundreds of sexually abused teenaged girls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12140641

When you look at
    the number of cases where there is a conviction
    the number of victims and crimnals in each of these cases
    and then guestitmate
    the number of cases investigated with no conviction
    the number of cases where no or little investigation occured.

This has the potential to be a massive scandal
    Bearing in mind the cover up and how difficult it it to get a
    conviction in these type of cases.
    its needs a Ryan report type inquiry
    to get to the bottom of whats going on/gone on and needs a special unit
    to deal with it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12140641

This is being dealt with. It has been a known problem for a long time. In Reading one young girl was killed a.d another stabbed, shot and left for dead by a gang using them as prostitutes and drug mules.

There is, however, no cover up. There is no scandal, just the need for a specialised police team to deal with this.

It is a scandal and there was a cover up on many levels
    look at the link in my post 18 on this thread(second link)
    In the name of political correctness race relations etc.

A senior officer at West Mercia police has called for an end to the 'damaging taboo' connecting on-street grooming with race.

Detective Chief Inspector Alan Edwards
    said: 'These girls are being passed around and used as meat.

also

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346291/Police-chief-We-speak-Asian-sex-gangs-appearing-racist.html
    Police could not speak out about Asian sex gangs for fear of appearing ‘institutionally racist’, a senior officer said yesterday.

Mick Gradwell, a former detective superintendent, said the targeting of underage and vulnerable girls had been going on for decades.

He added: ‘You have girls being abused and raped and yet the most senior officers are refusing to comment on it. On what other subject would you get that?

How many young girls have been abused and raped because of the reluctance of the authorities to say exactly what is happening?’

In 2003 Anne Cryer MP went to muslim leaders
    and was told it was not their problem.

• Advertisement

It is a scandal and there was a cover up on many levels
    look at the link in my post 18 on this thread(second link)
    In the name of political correctness race relations etc.

[/COLOR][/LEFT]I

also

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346291/Police-chief-We-speak-Asian-sex-gangs-appearing-racist.html

In 2003 Anne Cryer MP went to muslim leaders
    and was told it was not their problem.

What is being covered up? People are being arrested, charged and their names published in the media.

Because there are a lot of men from the Muslim community, do you want all Muslims thrown out of the UK?

This has nothing to do with any scandals, or concerns about grooming, it is just Muslim bashing.

Cops refusing to comment is unusual now?

What is being covered up? People are being arrested, charged and their names published in the media.

Because there are a lot of men from the Muslim community, do you want all Muslims thrown out of the UK?

This has nothing to do with any scandals, or concerns about grooming, it is just Muslim bashing.

LOL, the racist card, you just proved the point thank you.

polls_shout_racist_1410_964949_poll_xlarge.jpeg

So what we aren't allowed to call racists, "racist" now. Clearly its PC gone mad :P.

Also, accusing others of losing the argument, when you completely ignore the fact that the so called conspiracy of silence is non-existent, what with all the convictions and you know the media coverage. It has also conviently exposed a lot of people, who seem to think a criminals race suddenly matters, when its a minority group.

'Muslim' - not a race.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

LOL, the racist card, you just proved the point thank you

Ignoring the semantics of racism v xenophobia v bigotry, the poster thinks it is muslim-bashing regardless.
    Human-trafficking or whatever the latest buzz-word in the likes of the Mail and Telegraph is (grooming?), is hardly exclusive to any single demographic in the UK. The common denominator is the criminal element. Not what religion, nationality, cultural background or race somebody is.

So what we aren't allowed to call racists, "racist" now. Clearly its PC gone mad :P.

Also, accusing others of losing the argument, when you completely ignore the fact that the so called conspiracy of silence is non-existent, what with all the convictions and you know the media coverage. It has also conviently exposed a lot of people, who seem to think a criminals race suddenly matters, when its a minority group.

Thats like saying because the ryan report was published here
    there was no cover up in ireland back in the day.
    Please read my previous post and the
    policemen featured. Who knows how many victims could have been saved
    if the correct actions had been taken by Police,media, schools, pakistan community elders and politicans a decade ago.
    There was a culture of silence in the name of political correctness
    and race relations
    'Muslim' - not a race.....
    Duh
    I could not find an islamophobia card image in google images
    JustinDee wrote: »
    Ignoring the semantics of racism v xenophobia v bigotry, the poster thinks it is muslim-bashing regardless.
    Human-trafficking or whatever the latest buzz-word in the likes of the Mail and Telegraph is (grooming?), is hardly exclusive to any single demographic in the UK. The common denominator is the criminal element. Not what religion, nationality, cultural background or race somebody is.

So you saying that culture and race play no part in crime.
    You are saying that Pakistani culture plays no part in this
    the fact that majority of victims are white.
    Even Jack Straw has acknowledged that 10 years too late.
    On a macro-level can you also explain why 12%
    of england and wales prison population is muslim but they are 3% of population.

http://www.christianconcern.com/our-concerns/islam/muslim-gangs-imposing-sharia-law-british-prisons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭Sand

On a macro-level can you also explain why 12%
    of england and wales prison population is muslim but they are 3% of population.

If the muslim population of the UK is dispropotionally represented in the poorer and more deprived areas of the UK then that might explain it. People from poor areas tend to be over-represented in prisons regardless of their religion.
    You are saying that Pakistani culture plays no part in this
    the fact that majority of victims are white.

Given 97% of the population arent muslim/pakistani thats...unsurprising. Cultural prejudices regarding women (modest women wear burkas...) probably does play a role in the criminals mindset but youre not doing a good job of making the argument.

Sand wrote: »
    If the muslim population of the UK is dispropotionally represented in the poorer and more deprived areas of the UK then that might explain it. People from poor areas tend to be over-represented in prisons regardless of their religion.

Why is the Muslim population of the UK dispropotionally poor?

Also

Adjusting for poverty levels does not explain the 3-12(1-4) imbalance
    in prison population
    as for the pakistanti community for example
    the poverty ratio to whites is (1-2.75) as measured by low income housing
    b.png
    http://www.poverty.org.uk/33/index.shtml?6
    Sand wrote: »
    Given 97% of the population arent muslim/pakistani thats...unsurprising. Cultural prejudices regarding women (modest women wear burkas...) probably does play a role in the criminals mindset but youre not doing a good job of making the argument

Well, if one thousand Irish teens and one one thousand spanish teens
    went to crete for a week.
    Which group would cause the most drunken violence in your opinion
    Is that a good argument? We Irish have your own cultue/crime issues which we are failing to address.

Why is the Muslim population of the UK dispropotionally poor?

Also

Adjusting for poverty levels does not explain the 3-12(1-4) imbalance
    in prison population
    as for the pakistanti community for example
    the poverty ratio to whites is (1-2.75) as measured by low income housing
    b.png
    http://www.poverty.org.uk/33/index.shtml?6

Well, if one thousand Irish teens and one one thousand spanish teens
    went to crete for a week.
    Which group would cause the most drunken violence in your opinion
    Is that a good argument? We Irish have your own cultue/crime issues which we are failing to address.

what actually is the point you are trying to make?

• Advertisement
Advertisement