Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail and the O2 - GET OUT OF THE 19th CENTURY!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

the fact anyone can claim a place served by a 20 min walk from any public transport is "well served" shows it to be a sham.
    Considering it would take much less time to walk from Ringsend across the drawbridge from a number 3 bus....

I just complained to the Advertising standards with exactly the same point.
    www.asai.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

7 minute walk to Docklands rail station or 151 according to the www.dto.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Closest stations to the 02:

DART: Grand Canal Dock (1.32km) Connolly (1.42km), Tara Street (1.52km), Pearse (1.57km), Lansdowne Road (2.07km)

Green Line: St. Stephens Green (2.8km), Charlemont (3.2km, but expect a lot of trams to be filled by people getting on at St. Stephens Green).

Red Line: Busáras (but expect a lot of trams to be filled by people getting on at Connolly).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

the fact anyone can claim a place served by a 20 min walk from any public transport is "well served" shows it to be a sham.
    Considering it would take much less time to walk from Ringsend across the drawbridge from a number 3 bus....

Indeed routes 50/56A/77/77A would all leave people with a shorter walk from Ringsend bus depot than down the quays.

KC61 wrote: »
    Indeed routes 50/56A/77/77A would all leave people with a shorter walk from Ringsend bus depot than down the quays.
    Actually, what is the terminus for them, the garage, Macken Street or somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

While were at it can we put in a petition for a station at the gpo for when i want to buy stamps.
    or maybe one outside my local theres lots of people there.

maybe we should go back to powerpoint presentations to groups who arent i wont finish this post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Drumcondra is 5 minutes from croke park and has done really well for IE

Now whats wrong with Docklands?

Sure IE are crying out for passengers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

full house 4-carriage train on the last service to maynooth tonight

The crowds seem to be arriving at connolly just after 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Unfortunately, a lot of people did drive this evening it would seem.

I'm just wondering how the LUAS will cope once it opens. In theory, it's great to have the tram link. However, even with three trams waiting at 10:30 it's not going to make a huge dent on the cira 14,000 exiting if it's 250 persons per tram.

I suppose they could have another rake of trams lined up on the inbound track between Spencer Dock and The O2.

Given that there is going to be a free for all, I can't imagine too many tickets being bought and checked unless they implement a Disneyland style Q-ing arrangement at the platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Victor wrote: »
    Actually, what is the terminus for them, the garage, Macken Street or somewhere else?

The stop before the garage on Ringsend Road is the final stop coming from Tallaght (just at the Barrow Street junction), and the first stop just after the depot is the initial stop going to Tallaght.

It is only the 74/74A that start at Macken Street.

• Advertisement

So, I went along to the DDDA offices today and looked at the Mobility Plan that (wasn't quite) done as a result of a planning permission condition.

The plan, which has some errors, is essentially "Ah, sure it'll be grand". They seem to under-estimate car usage by concert-goers and over-estimate walking. I'll read up the details and post more later.

Note there are several parties involved - the owner, the operator, the promoter, the act.
    BrianD wrote: »
    However, even with three trams waiting at 10:30 it's not going to make a huge dent on the cira 14,000 exiting if it's 250 persons per tram.
    All trams are now 40m, so they can hold quiet a bit more. They could probably stack another 2-3 trams outside the stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

BrianD wrote: »
    Given that there is going to be a free for all, I can't imagine too many tickets being bought and checked unless they implement a Disneyland style Q-ing arrangement at the platforms.

On busy GAA weekends, they have a queueing system at the Abbey St stop with the platform cordoned off and staff maintaining a queue along Marlborough St. It's not perfect but they do make an effort.

Likewise, the tram system that runs past Old Trafford stadium in Manchester can't handle the crowds so they built a physical train station with barriers. Staff let the tram capacity through the barriers and then close them so there's no safety issues on the platform. When the tram has departed, the barriers are opened again.

Of course, LRT isn't ideal for moving large crowds but this is what we have so we'll have to make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Presumably the interconnector station should deal with some of that though - no point in overbuilding the LUAS when DART will be shouldering some of the load. The issue is how to get through the next few years but not building permanent capacity which gives them another excuse to defer putting shovels in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

dowlingm wrote: »
    Presumably the interconnector station should deal with some of that though - no point in overbuilding the LUAS when DART will be shouldering some of the load. The issue is how to get through the next few years but not building permanent capacity which gives them another excuse to defer putting shovels in the ground.

With respect, the minister for transport today announced massive cutbacks in CIE due to the high losses the group is shouldering in the current economic climate. If we can't afford to run current services, then I think we should be leaving all talk of interconnectors at the door on the way in. Realistically we should be seeking short term solutions and not codding or deluding ourselves with grand plans that will be delayed way beyond 2015.

and that's the attitude that will get the Minister off the hook, like a parade of them before him.

if he wants to cancel a project, let him cancel some roads and that will fund the interconnector which will deliver transportation capacity increases far beyond the roads he cut.

and that's the attitude that will get the Minister off the hook, like a parade of them before him.

if he wants to cancel a project, let him cancel some roads and that will fund the interconnector which will deliver transportation capacity increases far beyond the roads he cut.

Eh... no. The minister was never on any hook to start with. The dept of finance were on the hook and they get off hooks like fleas from a scruffy dog. The important thing to do here is to clearly expose and document the Governments failings in relation to public transport and use it in the future as a credible stick in which to beat them into doing the right thing for once. (when and/or if the cash comes flooding back.) Blindly insisting they build everything after they pissed the boom away, just plays into their hands actually.

And your point about roads is rediculous. Our national road network was a disgrace and is still the most used form of transport. Priorities please. Its the one priority the Government got right. Furthermore road projects of huge importance are being culled as we speak. So alls fair in love and war.

Exactly - priorities. The thinking you endorse is cut the most expensive project first. Mine is cut the least important project first. The only thing you get from building roads is a need for more roads. Any roads projects started should obviously be completed but if there isn't a shovel in the ground we shouldn't put one there. Obviously any nonsense about projects like Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris rail should go too, I'm not one of these rail at any price heads.

Exactly - priorities. The thinking you endorse is cut the most expensive project first. Mine is cut the least important project first. The only thing you get from building roads is a need for more roads. Any roads projects started should obviously be completed but if there isn't a shovel in the ground we shouldn't put one there. Obviously any nonsense about projects like Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris rail should go too, I'm not one of these rail at any price heads.

Im not endorsing any kind of thinking to cut anything. I am merely stating the obvious. The money has run out and large scale rail projects are in jeopardy.

Many road projects have been delayed.

A similiar effort operated over 10 years ago. It was short lived. Brought my son to the Power rangers show, came out, some guy was shouting for business, asked him the price and said bye bye.

For the record, I travelled by public transport from and back to Naas for that particular show. It can be done. Even if the last services from the city centre were 12 o'clock, we'd be doing really well and a lot of hassle could be avoided. The slighest tweaking of DB, BE Commuter and commuter rail would do wonders.

• Advertisement

Many Bus Éireann route 126 services are now running to/from Docklands station. Late evening departures are from Connolly Luas stop.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1229705108-126.pdf

Advertisement