Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elite armed squad to tackle gangland crime in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

eroo wrote: »
    Maybe I will wear the Clare jersey!

Out in public??? wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Out in public??? wow

Ah sure I'll be in Tipp,every native will remind me of the Munster final!:mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Had a look at the RSU car today looks class really impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Just heard on radio that they are "Armed and Ready" as of today! If any1 gets pics, be sure to throw them up!

(Now, bed!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I'll see what i can do with pics, but it'll be hard enough with an AC around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

foinse wrote: »
    I'll see what i can do with pics, but it'll be hard enough with an AC around

The papers will have pics come tomorrow anyway, big photo shoot I would imagine with more tunics than you have seen since passing out

more than likely but if i can get a few then all the better.

Just been out to the square for a look, quite a few gold braids present on a number of hats, so didn't manage to get a pic, it's just one car with a 2 man crew. surrounded by cameras.

Well thanks for trying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

New armed Garda support units begin work

Elite armed gardaí are beginning work today as part of a new regional strategy to tackle shootings and hostage situations.

The 24-member squad, which will have its own uniforms and vehicles, will provide instant back-up to frontline gardaí.

It is the first of five Regional Support Units (RSU) which were pledged in the Garda’s 2008 Policing Plan.

The southern unit covering Cork City, Cork North, Cork West, Kerry and Limerick will initially operate as a pilot and be reviewed on a continuing basis.

“Regional Support Units will provide tactical and firearms support for our frontline officers responding to critical incidents and will enhance the overall level and extent of service that we provide to the communities we have sworn to serve, through a multi-purpose, skilled and well equipped group of personnel,” said Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy

RSU officers have undergone 13-week training period which included instruction in resolution/negotiation techniques, tactical driving, first aid and the use of firearms and less lethal weapons.

RSU officers will patrol as regular uniform Gardaí but when a potentially violent situation occurs they will change into tactical gear and will have access to firearms and less lethal weapons, similar to the Emergency Response Unit (ERU).

Each RSU will comprise 24 hand-picked officers, including supervisors. However, strengths can be increased if deemed necessary.

A basic RSU patrol will consist of two or three officers in a specially adapted marked patrol car.

The general secretary of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors Joe Dirwan gave a cautious welcome to the new units. "We do need that type of response and we do need our detectives trained up to that level," he said.

Speaking on RTE's Morning Ireland today, he said the association had called for armed response units to be immediately available around the clock. However, he warned the crossover between the units and unarmed gardaí could create other targets for criminals.

Irish Times

Saw the footage on TV3 and RTE news.I'm impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Must see it at 9 RTE.

;)0001b41f05a.jpg Sorry couldnt make it bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

donvito99 wrote: »
    Must see it at 9 RTE.
    Why wait?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/1news/

Must see it at 9 RTE.
    You should be able to watch it on rte.ie in the next few mins.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/New-armed-garda-unit-deployed.4455617.jp
    Another article on the launch.

• Advertisement

Will the RSU carry out normal policing duties also. I know they cant sit in a car all day waiting for an armed incident but things like speeding and no seatbelts?

Random wrote: »
    Cant get the real player to work.

Cant get the real player to work.
    Working for me. You're missing feck all though really. It's a very botched up report. Not very impressive.

And there's no footage ! What a waste of 2 mins for me that was :(

Working for me. You're missing feck all though really. It's a very botched up report. Not very impressive.

And there's no footage ! What a waste of 2 mins for me that was :(

The 6.1 will be on the site soon.

You need to look at it on the Six One News. Launch wasn't until 3 O'Clock.

http://www.rte.ie/news/6news/

• Advertisement

foreign wrote: »
    You need to look at it on the Six One News. Launch wasn't until 3 O'Clock.

http://www.rte.ie/news/6news/
    I looked at the 6,1 a while ago and I'd swear I didn't see it on it! But the link is there now, clear as mud to the Elite Garda story ..

++ edit - that's much more like it!

I notice some of the units didn't seem to have Garda ARU written on them? I saw the car had but the jeep type vehicles didn't ?

I looked at the 6,1 a while ago and I'd swear I didn't see it on it! But the link is there now, clear as mud to the Elite Garda story ..

That was yesterdays 6.1.I made the same mistake!:o

0001b41f10dr.jpg

0001b41f10dr.jpg
    Whats the red lettering in the middle. Garda? Armed?
    And is it electronic?

Are they not being "marketed" as ARUs (armed response units) yet they have Armed Support Unit (ASUs) on the marked cars ?

Whats the red lettering in the middle. Garda? Armed?
    And is it electronic?

Yes it "armed" and electronic and can say a number of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Are they not being "marketed" as ARUs (armed response units) yet they have Armed Support Unit (ASUs) on the marked cars ?

Nationally they will be known as regional support units (RSU).

The marking on the car is to clearly identify it as an "armed" support unit.

Those markings are covered when they are not acting in "armed support".

Ah, right so CLADA.

I tell you .. I love the partial arming of the force to deal with the ever increasing xy and z but I really really can't get behind this half assed method. It seems to me like these armed support guys can get taken out nice and handy once you go and get them when they don't have their special jackets on, badges and lights out or guns out of the safe.

Yes, it's very much a simplistic view of it all but I think a high visibility "We're armed, don't **** with us, we're not pissing about here" presence would be much more effective.

CLADA wrote: »
    Nationally they will be known as regional support units (RSU).

The marking on the car is to clearly identify it as an "armed" support unit.

Those markings are covered when they are not acting in "armed support".

How are they gone to cover the markings?

yayamark wrote: »
    How are they gone to cover the markings?

I asked the same question and was told there is some form of adhesive strip that can be removed and replaced.
    :confused:Take whatever you want from that

• Advertisement

I asked the same question and was told there is some form of adhesive strip that can be removed and replaced.
    :confused:Take whatever you want from that

Talk about over-complicating things :rolleyes: why bother having it written on the vehicle thats its an armed unit? The local Guards will know, and Joe Public will only know when the crew is deployed with weapons, job done and no need for fridge magnets/gaffer tape.....etc

metman wrote: »
    Talk about over-complicating things :rolleyes: why bother having it written on the vehicle thats its an armed unit? The local Guards will know, and Joe Public will only know when the crew is deployed with weapons, job done and no need for fridge magnets/gaffer tape.....etc

Tut Tut Metman, you obviously haven't been paying attention in class.:D

They will undertake regular duties until such time as they are deployed to an armed or critical incident.
    At that point they change into tac gear, tool up, activate the electonic display, reveal the armed support unit markings.

Then they become an armed unit.

Whats complicated about that:rolleyes:

They will undertake regular duties until such time as they are deployed to an armed or critical incident.
    At that point they change into tac gear, tool up, activate the electonic display, reveal the armed support unit markings.

When you put it like that...sheer simplicity......in fact had they added completion of a rubix cube and/or simplex crossword, prior to changing of apparel, it might have made things more straightforward :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Yeah but it only takes 1 minute!!!!!

Sure you would hardly be shot dead in that space of time now would you?:rolleyes:

Nice uniform and car though

They appear to be on the front doors only, roll down the window and rip them off.

Wonder if they're like F1 drivers visors and whole heap of them alternating between plain and armed support unit, just rip it off and disguard it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Have seen these vehicles dropped down into our division. Very nice; highly equipped and look able to take on the mammoth tasks they'll be placed under in the future.

...I wonder whether C&C will be dispatching them to regular calls..as I highly doubt they'll be given a standard call sign. Possibly routine patrol/checkpoint/speedtraps instead?

Ah, right so CLADA.

I tell you .. I love the partial arming of the force to deal with the ever increasing xy and z but I really really can't get behind this half assed method. It seems to me like these armed support guys can get taken out nice and handy once you go and get them when they don't have their special jackets on, badges and lights out or guns out of the safe.

Yes, it's very much a simplistic view of it all but I think a high visibility "We're armed, don't **** with us, we're not pissing about here" presence would be much more effective.

@CLADA,I presume they will carry their sidearms at all times??

Random,armed response vehicles/support units play an integral part of policing in the UK.It's high time we followed suit.It's not half assed,even if there are some complicaions,these should be ironed out by feedback from the RSU crews.

Armed criminals don't attack DDU Ford Mondeos(well,they're pretty obvious,but that is the point) nor do they attack other armed units,simply because these personnel are armed.They wouldn't risk it imo.There is a good chance a) they could be shot b)they could be arrested c)they wouldn't get far after the incident,as well as various other risks.So I don't think the RSU will be at any greater risk.

Marked RSU cars that stand out a mile;tac clothing;MP7's and Sig Sauer's. . .how is this not high visibility?lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Just saw the pics this morning of the RSUs in the national press this morning and they do look the part. Nice to see they've finally moved away from the UZI too. Just one thing that did did make me chuckle was when the reporter said that donning tactical dress "...will involve pulling on a zip-up jacket over the uniform and donning a special cap, with 'armed support unit' markings." would have thought tactical dress consisted of a bit more than that :p

Glad to see the Guards finally getting some decent kit

armed_201766t.jpg

garda_201762t.jpg

garad2_201764t.jpg

Source; Independent.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

@CLADA,I presume they will carry their sidearms at all times??

Random,armed response vehicles/support units play an integral part of policing in the UK.It's high time we followed suit.It's not half assed,even if there are some complicaions,these should be ironed out by feedback from the RSU crews.

Armed criminals don't attack DDU Ford Mondeos(well,they're pretty obvious,but that is the point) nor do they attack other armed units,simply because these personnel are armed.They wouldn't risk it imo.There is a good chance a) they could be shot b)they could be arrested c)they wouldn't get far after the incident,as well as various other risks.So I don't think the RSU will be at any greater risk.

Marked RSU cars that stand out a mile;tac clothing;MP7's and Sig Sauer's. . .how is this not high visibility?lol

The " random " policng in the uk is generally SPecial branch asuch with the usual response gear in the booth,

though they spend most of their time speeding after noobie criminals they have the equipment should they be required.

but atleast the gardi have something, it beatsa having to call up the lads from limerick in the blocked out patrols with the aldi value camo gear and there chinese mp5's, but that was the old budget, in with the new :)

S.I.R wrote: »
    The " random " policng in the uk is generally SPecial branch asuch with the usual response gear in the booth,

though they spend most of their time speeding after noobie criminals they have the equipment should they be required.

but atleast the gardi have something, it beatsa having to call up the lads from limerick in the blocked out patrols with the aldi value camo gear and there chinese mp5's, but that was the old budget, in with the new :)

The random I spoke of was a boardsie!

As regards your last point,I'm lost!AGS never had MP5's or cheap camo gear.

S.I.R wrote: »
    policng in the uk is generally SPecial branch asuch with the usual response gear in the booth,

And Special Branch don't respond to firearms jobs here. Armed response is conducted by authorised firearms officers (AFOs) as part of Tactical Firearms Group (TFG) or Central Operations (CO) crewed in armed response vehicles (ARVs).

310.jpg

TFG Entry Team

In the motors forum they were sayin that the vehicles would be equipped with ANPR, are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

In the motors forum they were sayin that the vehicles would be equipped with ANPR, are they?
    I had presumed that ANPR couldn't be rolled out until Tetra was in place first due to high level of fast data communication and poor coverage with the current radio system

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Armed Gardai have been attacked before, Jerry McCabe & Ben O'Sullivan being the last two serious cases.

Thats true, that was a low life, cowardly ambush, didnt even give them a chance to draw their weapons

cushtac wrote: »
    Armed Gardai have been attacked before, Jerry McCabe & Ben O'Sullivan being the last two serious cases.

I know full well that armed Gardai have been attacked before.However,any Garda patrol,armed or unarmed,could be decimated by a gunman at any given time.Yet,I seriously don't think many organised crime gangs or anyone else would consider something like that,imagine the crackdown that would follow?It would be post-Veronica Guerin all over again.

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Thats true, that was a low life, cowardly ambush, didnt even give them a chance to draw their weapons

Ambush?Some say otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

More like an assaination if ye ask me

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement