Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free travel passes in the Indo

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Gatling wrote: »
    Don't think your figures are correct from the numerous other threads the figure was around 700,000+ issued in so many years 25% give or take not including the silly amount of forged ones in circulation that could push that figure up ,
    I won't quote your other post once we get into who should and who shouldn't be entitled to a dsp threads don't last long ,
    But current welfare rules state if an illness is going to last 12 months or more then that person is entitled to disability allowence ,massive scope for what's actually considered disability

Someone already answered you, regards the 780,000 and the over 1.1 million and as you mentioned the fake passes it should also be mentioned that in general free passes Dont have an expiry date, so although the DSP might not longer count the pass given to Mr X 5 years ago when he was on disability, Mr X still has the pass and a unless it is actually questioned by an inspector somewhere with the DSP, ( probably as good a chance as a lotto win) Mr X can continue to avail of free travel. ( and his partner as well probably )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cdebru wrote: »
    Wouldn't count for the 102,000 but, I would imagine asylum seekers in direct provision have one, also people with compassionate leave to remain ( I know a couple of people in that bracket) they definitely have one.
    If its not included in the breakdown carers are entitled to one even if they Dont qualify for carers allowance, and probably like the medical card I would imagine that there is provision for supply them on need even if the person doesn't otherwise qualify, like people with an illness requiring hospital visits but who Dont qualify for a social welfare payment etc.

Afaik asylum seekers or those with leave to remain are not granted free travel passes because they would not generally qualify and 2nd even if they did qualify on health or age grounds they would fail on the naturalisation element.

The pass needs to be taken from carers and "companions" and "spouses" and only issued to "the holder"!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Afaik asylum seekers or those with leave to remain are not granted free travel passes because they would not generally qualify and 2nd even if they did qualify on health or age grounds they would fail on the naturalisation element.

The pass needs to be taken from carers and "companions" and "spouses" and only issued to "the holder"!

The requirement for Issuance of a DSP Free Travel Pass is only that the holder be permanently resident in the State.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/780_Free-Travel.aspx#3
    An applicant will qualify for Free Travel, if s/he is living permanently in the State (i.e. on an all-year-round basis)

The situation differs in some area's,but where a relevant deciding officer has authorized it,FTP's have been issued under compassionate,special-needs,and hardship headings.

The numbers involved would be quite low,but demonstrate the level of elasticity/felxibility and non-accountability inherent in the system for many decades past.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

foggy_lad wrote: »

Incorrect I personally know 2 people on compassionate leave to remain who have no naturalisation, are here on medical grounds and both have free travel among other benefits despite not having of the typical grounds for social welfare like stamps or citizenship etc, if the state decides you can stay on compassionate grounds they can't exactly leave you starving at the side of the road after can they ?

As for asylum seekers on direct provision I dont know if they have free travel, but I can't imagine they are expected to pay for public transport out of their €19 a week.The system allows social welfare to award passes outside of the normal qualifying criteria much as it does with the medical card for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cdebru wrote: »
    Incorrect I personally know 2 people on compassionate leave to remain who have no naturalisation, are here on medical grounds and both have free travel among other benefits despite not having of the typical grounds for social welfare like stamps or citizenship etc, if the state decides you can stay on compassionate grounds they can't exactly leave you starving at the side of the road after can they ?

As for asylum seekers on direct provision I dont know if they have free travel, but I can't imagine they are expected to pay for public transport out of their €19 a week.The system allows social welfare to award passes outside of the normal qualifying criteria much as it does with the medical card for example.
    I didn't know that about those with leave to remain on compassionate/medical grounds and stand corrected, I can see how someone here for medical treatment and also Irish people who are diagnosed with serious medical conditions would be granted free travel for a temporary period or while their condition lasts. as for those asylum seekers in direct provision centres, they have local shuttle buses provided a few times a day to the local town and any travel after that is at their own expense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement