Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

The pitch in Clones is 142*87 metres. TheThe pitch in Croke park is 14.5*88 metres.

There is barely any difference in the size of the pitch and it would make zero difference.

I beg to differ. It would be a far different game in Clones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

The pitch in Clones is 142*87 metres. TheThe pitch in Croke park is 14.5*88 metres.

There is barely any difference in the size of the pitch and it would make zero difference.

Dont you dare let facts get in the way of a good rant.
    Croker is bigger, much much bigger. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I suppose my point is that you cant just flick a switch in September and turn it on. The Dubs have class and Connolly is brilliant to watch but they get zero test until at least August and then have to flick the switch. That is a problem in my opinion

Kerry do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Dingus I'm fairly sure theres a difference between 142 meters and 14.5 meters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Fudge You wrote: »
    Then why not move Kilkenny to Munster championship in Hurling???

And while we're at it, let move Barcelona to the english soccer premier league cause I think Stoke city will take them.
    We'll move Liverpool to Spain, just for the laugh.

None of these examples feature a team with a bigger pick than the total of all the other teams put together, like the Leinster "championship". Kilkenny win because they are better, not just because they are bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Kerry do it

Kerry have to deal with Cork every year. They get their test and also the opportunity to tweak based on that test. Kerry found Donaghy was a full forward in the qualifiers when they had to adjust and it won them the All-Ireland (think it was against Sligo but could be wrong). I'd say the Dub players think the qualifiers are just an urban legend

Well done to Jim Gavin on keeping a straight face in that interview. He nearly buckled but he managed to convince himself just in time that the Dubs were somehow given a test today and thus passed the humility test himself in the process. If the Dubs are fatigued after that then its for every other reason then footballing reasons.

ardmacha wrote: »
    None of these examples feature a team with a bigger pick than the total of all the other teams put together, like the Leinster "championship". Kilkenny win because they are better, not just because they are bigger.

I was messing of course with the examples.
    But lets have a debate then...
    Kerry have a population of 150000. Are they bigger than other counties??? but they are the champs, and can beat dublin on any given day.

Spilane said it about 10mins ago. These counties (mayo,kerry,dub,donegal) have the systems put in place, the best coaches and therefore the best players...
    I dont remember hearing many moaning about dublin late 90s to early 2000s.
    They were laughing at Dublin then, I remember it too well.

I was messing of course with the examples.
    But lets have a debate then...
    Kerry have a population of 150000. Are they bigger than other counties??? but they are the champs, and can beat dublin on any given day.

Spilane said it about 10mins ago. These counties (mayo,kerry,dub,donegal) have the systems put in place, the best coaches and therefore the best players...
    I dont remember hearing many moaning about dublin late 90s to early 2000s.
    They were laughing at Dublin then, I remember it too well

i tend to agree. I mean fair enough the likes of Longford, Carlow, etc may have a case in hand but I dont think the likes of Kildare or Meath who have big populations can complain too much. They both need to take a good long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

Then why not move Kilkenny to Munster championship in Hurling???

And while we're at it, let move Barcelona to the english soccer premier league cause I think Stoke city will take them.
    We'll move Liverpool to Spain, just for the laugh.

Galway mean nothing to you in hurling ;)....besides that I really do think there needs to be change. Brolly and Pat were going on about it was a joy to watch....but honestly I was bored watching the Dublin game.

Yeah their Gaelic skills are great and fair play to them on getting through but as a spectator I was just bored. I don't want to see an exhibition its competition!!! The westmeath/meath game was brilliant....ok teams that probably won't win the all Ireland but it was on hell of a game.

There needs to be tiered system and soon.

• Advertisement

Galway mean nothing to you in hurling....besides that I really do think there needs to be change. Brolly and Pat were going on about it was a joy to watch....but honestly I was bored watching the Dublin game.

Yeah their Gaelic skills are great and fair play to them on getting through but as a spectator I was just bored. I don't want to see an exhibition its competition!!! The westmeath/meath game was brilliant....ok teams that probably won't win the all Ireland but it was on hell of a game.

There needs to be tiered system and soon.

First off, the post was a joke, did you not read my post afterwards...

You were bored, fair enough. But should you not be complaining about Kildare being rubbish???
    Is it dublin's fault that Kildare and Meath cant keep up. And I dont want to hear about the money. Dublin have always been bigger, but didnt always win.
    Meath and Kildare should take a look at themselves.
    Also, Dublin wont be this good forever.

Nib wrote: »
    Brolly calls Dublin v Derry league game "the death of football" yet this 19 point hammering was a joy to watch..

WOW.

Alot of holes in Brollys argument. He also advocated that Kildare should use a zonal marking system rather than going man for man. So when you are open you are naive but when you actually defend its negative to watch? :confused: I thought he was against the negative stuff?

Id argue that Kildare used absolutely no marking system whatsoever today. It was pathetic to watch. its not a secret that Dublin build from the back so why oh why on earth did Kildare not at the very least mark up from the kick outs. Tbf its not just Kildare who are this naive either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

First off, the post was a joke, did you not read my post afterwards...

You were bored, fair enough. But should you not be complaining about Kildare being rubbish???
    Is it dublin's fault that Kildare and Meath cant keep up. And I don't want to hear about the money. Dublin have always been bigger, but didn't always win.
    Meath and Kildare should take a look at themselves.
    Also, Dublin wont be this good forever.

Firstly...never said Kildare were rubbish.....fair play to them for not to bowing there heads and giving up...they tried and I commend them for it but they were just out matched ....its the same as the Longford game....they just aren't up to the standard at the moment against Dublin.

yes I agree they need to look closer at there set up and I do agree Dublin won't be this good forever....like everything it ebbs and flows....look at Kerry they dominated everything and for nearly 10 years in the 90's they didn't win Sam and now they are back again! It be the same for Donegal and Mayo....

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭slogging...it

Didn't Dublin hammer Monaghan in Clones this year Already??
    In all seriousness tho Leinster needs Dublin that's the standard of football you have to aspire to achieve, keep Monaghan etc are any of the anti football teams in Ulster I'd rather a hammering of Dublin than taking the reason teams are trying to play in Leinster out of it
    On another note I would ask anyone lauding Donegal against Dublin last year watch the match again Dublin had enough chances to have Donegal on the bus at half time and don't start about Monaghan losing to there B team in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Alot of holes in Brollys argument.

That's the case with most arguments he makes. Brolly is a WUM and makes his money just being controversial. I don't know who, of himself and Spillane, is the bigger spoofer.

Spillane is just hoping for a Kerry All-Ireland win so he can proclaim them as being able to walk on water and Brolly similarly waits for an Ulster All-Ireland win as proof of the superiority of the northern folk.

Two clowns offering next to nothing in analysis.

That's the case with most arguments he makes. Brolly is a WUM and makes his money just being controversial. I don't know who, of himself and Spillane, is the bigger spoofer.

Spillane is just hoping for a Kerry All-Ireland win so he can proclaim them as being able to walk on water and Brolly similarly waits for an Ulster All-Ireland win as proof of the superiority of the northern folk.

Two clowns offering next to nothing in analysis.

The gas thing about Brolly is that he says things with all the conviction of being his steadfast opinion which he has stuck to through thick and thin, akin to a pathological liar. Comes from being a barrister i suppose :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

The pitch in Clones is 142*87 metres. TheThe pitch in Croke park is 145.5*88 metres.

Always amuses me how the "big open spaces" of Croke Park is compared to provincial pitches. Very little difference in a lot of them and some are bigger. Lazy comment usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The other 11 counties in Leinster still wouldn't have as big a population or the money to compete with the "Blue Juggernaut/Tsunami".

Have a bit of perspective.
    It was just a general museing. Wasn't getting into the bigger discussion about money and population. All of which are red herrings in my book

Always amuses me how the "big open spaces" of Croke Park is compared to provincial pitches. Very little difference in a lot of them and some are bigger. Lazy comment usually.

Sometimes i can be just the setting or the atmosphere though. A half empty large stadium vs a packed house of angry locals baying for blood. I think the prospect of Dublin playing outside Croker should at least be looked at. Im not saying that it is guaranteed to make a whole heap of difference but in terms of routine and preparation it might mix it a round a bit. If your suddenly travelling long distances on a bus for games its a big difference to a short trip down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Didn't Dublin hammer Monaghan in Clones this year Already??
    In all seriousness tho Leinster needs Dublin that's the standard of football you have to aspire to achieve, keep Monaghan etc are any of the anti football teams in Ulster I'd rather a hammering of Dublin than taking the reason teams are trying to play in Leinster out of it
    On another note I would ask anyone lauding Donegal against Dublin last year watch the match again Dublin had enough chances to have Donegal on the bus at half time and don't start about Monaghan losing to there B team in the league

You are right about last years Dublin v Donegal game.
    Not only did Dublin have enough chances in the first half to have Donegal on the bus, but players that are usually reliable missed a scatter of simple scores in the second also.

• Advertisement

Sometimes i can be just the setting or the atmosphere though. A half empty large stadium vs a packed house of angry locals baying for blood. I think the prospect of Dublin playing outside Croker should at least be looked at. Im not saying that it is guaranteed to make a whole heap of difference but in terms of routine and preparation it might mix it a round a bit. If your suddenly travelling long distances on a bus for games its a big difference to a short trip down the road.
    I wouldn't argue against that at all.

It's the more general argument that's often put out there about how Croke Park is apparently full of space compared to provincial pitches that is an annoyance to me. Granted, it doesn't take an awful lot to annoy me but still....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I don't think it would make any signinficant difference at all.Home advantage in my opinion only really has an affect when teams are reasonably closely matched.A fully firing Dublin would destroy all but 3 teams in the country.

I would say Dublin's players and management would quite like being tested more earlier in the championship as it would give them a better idea of where they are when the knock out stages come along and they would almost certainly benefit from playing more difficult matches earlier in the championship.

You are right about last years Dublin v Donegal game.
    Not only did Dublin have enough chances in the first half to have Donegal on the bus, but players that are usually reliable missed a scatter of simple scores in the second also.
    Sure everyone knows Donegal are over hyped and have gotten super lucky in recent years. Especially since a certain AI final a few years ago.

Sorry, where's my manners.....would you fancy some salt with that chip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Brolly calls Dublin v Derry league game "the death of football" yet this 19 point hammering was a joy to watch..

H was sort of right. That game between Dublin and Derry was one of the worst games of football played for a few years. Where today we saw some good skills, plenty of scores although Kildare were physically not up to a tough game. The other important point Brolly made was Dublin play football no matter who the opposition is, be it Donegal, Kerry or Mayo. It is better to watch and had Dublin taken a few more chances in the first half last year against Donegal well who knows.............
    ardmacha wrote: »

None of the other counties in Leinster have the competition Dublin clubs have for players. FACT. You take club on south side like Ballyboden, Kilmacud or Cuala and Rugby are the big games with twice as many Rugby clubs as G.A.A. and schools Rugby is also huge. Go to west and north Dublin, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Blanchardstown, Finglas, Ballymun and Cabra and Soccer is a major sport with rugby a growing game and thats before you include any other sports but the competition for players from Rugby and soccer has to be seen to be believed.

Dublin G.A.A. does not have the pick of all the kids but what it has is a very good structure in terms of coaching and development. It doesnt work every year but players will come through if you stick with it.

There were no groans from people in 1990's or early 2000's when Dublin were down the pecking order behind Meath and at other times behind Laois or Westmeath. Meath, Kildare and Laois have not put the work into their structures and they dont have the challenges Dublin or Dublin clubs have to face.

I wouldn't argue against that at all.

It's the more general argument that's often put out there about how Croke Park is apparently full of space compared to provincial pitches that is an annoyance to me. Granted, it doesn't take an awful lot to annoy me but still....

Thats a fair point. Take the all ireland hurling final and replay last year. The first game both teams had loads of space to run into wheras certainly in terms of our own forwards, Kilkenny couldnt afford to give us too much space last year or we'd stick the goal chances we missed the first day around.

Dimensions are an illusion really but environment can make a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Sure everyone knows Donegal are over hyped and have gotten super lucky in recent years. Especially since a certain AI final a few years ago.

Sorry, where's my manners.....would you fancy some salt with that chip?

He's right though. We were dead and buried until they missed that goal opportunity. We were very fortunate their backline was non existent. I don't fancy meeting them this year as they will be out for blood against us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

LeoB wrote: »
    H was sort of right. That game between Dublin and Derry was one of the worst games of football played for a few years. Where today we saw some good skills, plenty of scores although Kildare were physically not up to a tough game. The other important point Brolly made was Dublin play football no matter who the opposition is, be it Donegal, Kerry or Mayo. It is better to watch and had Dublin taken a few more chances in the first half last year against Donegal well who knows.............

None of the other counties in Leinster have the competition Dublin clubs have for players. FACT. You take club on south side like Ballyboden, Kilmacud or Cuala and Rugby are the big games with twice as many Rugby clubs as G.A.A. and schools Rugby is also huge. Go to west and north Dublin, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Blanchardstown, Finglas, Ballymun and Cabra and Soccer is a major sport with rugby a growing game and thats before you include any other sports but the competition for players from Rugby and soccer has to be seen to be believed.

Dublin G.A.A. does not have the pick of all the kids but what it has is a very good structure in terms of coaching and development. It doesnt work every year but players will come through if you stick with it.

There were no groans from people in 1990's or early 2000's when Dublin were down the pecking order behind Meath and at other times behind Laois or Westmeath. Meath, Kildare and Laois have not put the work into their structures and they dont have the challenges Dublin or Dublin clubs have to face.

being slightly facetious and argumentative, but still.

did Dublin have the same massively inflated income from the GAA then? Did they also have more paid full time coaches than the whole province combined? Did they also play every championship game in Croke Park?

I get your point, and more arguing for the sake of it than anything, but still, times have moved on hugely since the 90's, and the level of professionalism and money has moved on far beyond that at a huge rate. To try say just because they were down then, so why complain now. The same advantages werent there back then.

And seriously, the excuse that other places dont have the same competition as Dublin do? Are you honestly using that as an argument to defend the problems that Dublin have to overcome. Dublin have clubs with more members than some county memberships. Every county has their problems, whether social, economic or sports competition, but to try say that Dublin are at a disadvantage because of the competition in the county? Thats really clutching at straws. You mention Cuala, and in one argument people go on about how Cuala are utterly dominating the rugby scene, and have nearly ten times as many members as Blackrock rugby club. They field 95 teams through their age groups. Dont tell me they are struggling with numbers like other clubs in counties do.

Dublin have massive advantages financially, numbers wise, and home playing field. Ultimately, the best team will win a championship regardless of having any perceived advantages, and Dublin arent always the best team. At the end of it all, you can only have 15 on the field, you dont play with money or fans or club members.

In spite of the above, I'm sick of reading the same arguments every single time Dublin play. They dont fix the games, the Leinster council do. They dont write the glowing articles about them, the journalists do.

Dublin have been given a load of money, but they didnt waste a penny of it. They put in structures, they employed very good people and they have made the most of the income in a vast number of ways. The clubs have also done similar, they got great revenue and a lot of it through initiatives and excellent fund raising and this has raised the profile and playing numbers of these clubs.

Credit to Dublin and what they have done. They have been given a massive leg up, but they took their opportunity to make the best of it, and have been successful in doing so. Its mainly jealousy, and I'll freely admit, I am hugely jealous of the set up, facilities, coaches, money etc dublin has. None of that brings success, and I am far more jealous of the success Dublin has had. More power to them, but I hope you wouldnt take offence if I said I hope it dries up again soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Nib wrote:
    Meath were 10 points up at one stage. Hard to blame O'Dowd for that collapse.

I don't think they looked fit to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't think they looked fit to be honest.

You could be right I'm just watching the highlights and Meath had nothing left in the tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

salmocab wrote: »
    You could be right I'm just watching the highlights and Meath had nothing left in the tank

When you own the ball it's easier to run and keep going. When you're constantly chasing it gets more and more tiring. No matter how tired the body is getting, the adrenaline that was coursing through Westmeath players late on was priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

bruschi wrote: »

did Dublin have the same massively inflated income from the GAA then? Did they also have more paid full time coaches than the whole province combined? Did they also play every championship game in Croke Park?

I get your point, and more arguing for the sake of it than anything, but still, times have moved on hugely since the 90's, and the level of professionalism and money has moved on far beyond that at a huge rate. To try say just because they were down then, so why complain now. The same advantages werent there back then.

You should have left it at the first sentence.

Money has nothing to do with Dublin's "improvement". Money has always been there.

You need to seperate this money thing from fitness. Dublin are simply the fitest team in the Country by a long way right now. If money had anything to do with it, then Dublin, not Kilkenny would have a long list of Hurling Titles to their name, but they dont. Why is that ?

You would swear that Dublin were growing genitically modified players with "all this money". Population, population, population. The GAA does suffer at the hands of pro sports like soccer and rugby (even in the capital) so dont dismiss others opinions lightly. Fortunately GAA is healthy in Dublin right now, which is great given the pressure from those other sports.

Nothing more than a bit of green eyed monster here. But hey Dub bashing is a national sport for those not from Dublin.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

No one had a big inflated income back then apart from the revenue counties got from sponsors. I think per capata all counties have benefited from G.A.A. grants once they put in a decent proposal. There are a lot of coach's in Dublin annd I know my club have to raise money to subsidise our coach, I think around €17,000 towards salary.
    Dublin played games outside Croke park, I was in Dr Cullen park, Wexford park, O'Connor park and O,Moore park watching Dublin play and to be honest they were health hazzards. I think Dublin would like to play in a decent ground down the country be it Portlaois or Tullamore. If Navan was done up and capacity was around 20,000 they could play Louth or Longford there
    Other counties made stupid decisions and thought they could buy success instead of investing in juvenile structures. It takes 15 to 20 years to see the real value of investment in coaching.
    And seriously, the excuse that other places dont have the same competition as Dublin do? Are you honestly using that as an argument to defend the problems that Dublin have to overcome. Dublin have clubs with more members than some county memberships. Every county has their problems, whether social, economic or sports competition, but to try say that Dublin are at a disadvantage because of the competition in the county? Thats really clutching at straws. You mention Cuala, and in one argument people go on about how Cuala are utterly dominating the rugby scene, and have nearly ten times as many members as Blackrock rugby club. They field 95 teams through their age groups. Dont tell me they are struggling with numbers like other clubs in counties do.
    We know every county has problems in all areas you mention, social, economic or sports competition but NONE have some of the problems on the scale that Dublin have in some areas.. I have seen what clubs face in some areas and I can tell you I would have walked away many years ago if I had to do the same. You are right though, some clubs in Dublin have massive membership, I heard one has over 7,000 members and the finance in these clubs is just dream land to most of us.
    Dublin have massive advantages financially, numbers wise, and home playing field. Ultimately, the best team will win a championship regardless of having any perceived advantages, and Dublin arent always the best team. At the end of it all, you can only have 15 on the field, you dont play with money or fans or club members.

In spite of the above, I'm sick of reading the same arguments every single time Dublin play. They dont fix the games, the Leinster council do. They dont write the glowing articles about them, the journalists do.

Dublin have been given a load of money, but they didnt waste a penny of it. They put in structures, they employed very good people and they have made the most of the income in a vast number of ways. The clubs have also done similar, they got great revenue and a lot of it through initiatives and excellent fund raising and this has raised the profile and playing numbers of these clubs.

Credit to Dublin and what they have done. They have been given a massive leg up, but they took their opportunity to make the best of it, and have been successful in doing so. Its mainly jealousy, and I'll freely admit, I am hugely jealous of the set up, facilities, coaches, money etc dublin has. None of that brings success, and I am far more jealous of the success Dublin has had. More power to them, but I hope you wouldnt take offence if I said I hope it dries up again soon!

No offence taken at all. It is good for the games to see others get their day in the sun.

You make very valid points and I can understand where you are coming from. I used to mad jealous of Meath back in the 90's, still jealous about Kilkenny now.

A lot of preparation went into how Dublin could progress from the 80's and 90's when we did have massive numbers playing but very little in terms of structure.

Dublin were not given money, they were not given a leg up, they put proposals to central council and these thrown back in early 90s to be "redesigned" they eventually got it right. The structures in Dublin are fairly good BUT MAINTAINING it is a huge financial drain on clubs and Co Board. The marketing of the games has been massive in Dublin. Our club is better ran than some county boards from what I hear and we are not sitting at the top end of the tablle but we want to and lads like everywhere else make massive commitments but the commitment is within a structure we have ALL bought into and the same cant be said in some Leinster counties.
    Without Dublin and the revenue they bring there would actually be less money to go around to others. This was the same back in the 70s when Dublin hit the road the benefits to places like Navan, Longford, Mullingar, Aughrim were fairly big and it is the same today for National league games as the crowds will follow

STB. wrote: »
    You should have left it at the first sentence.

Money has nothing to do with Dublin's "improvement". Money has always been there.

You need to seperate this money thing from fitness. Dublin are simply the fitest team in the Country by a long way right now. If money had anything to do with it, then Dublin, not Kilkenny would have a long list of Hurling Titles to their name, but they dont. Why is that ?

You would swear that Dublin were growing genitically modified players with "all this money". Population, population, population. The GAA does suffer at the hands of pro sports like soccer and rugby (even in the capital) so dont dismiss others opinions lightly. Fortunately GAA is healthy in Dublin right now, which is great given the pressure from those other sports.

Nothing more than a bit of green eyed monster here. But hey Dub bashing is a national sport for those not from Dublin.... :)

I think your spot on. Yes the money thing is an advantage but even with money, you can just as easily be stupid with it.

While we would invest alot in football in Tipp we would be nowhere near Dublins finances and yet people seem to forget that we beat Dublin in the u21 this year, and the minor in 2011 and that was down to getting our own gameplan spot on. Kildare and Meath have bigger populations then ourselves and quite frankly if Kildare spent as much time in coaching the youth then trying to poach the likes of Seanie Johnston then they might actually be in a position to put it up to Dublin. Yes Dublin have vast income and yes i think to an extent the GAA should review a redistribution system to help the very small counties but other then that some of the counties need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and be more proactive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I think your spot on. Yes the money thing is an advantage but even with money, you can just as easily be stupid with it.

While we would invest alot in football in Tipp we would be nowhere near Dublins finances and yet people seem to forget that we beat Dublin in the u21 this year, and the minor in 2011 and that was down to getting our own gameplan spot on. Kildare and Meath have bigger populations then ourselves and quite frankly if Kildare spent as much time in coaching the youth then trying to poach the likes of Seanie Johnston then they might actually be in a position to put it up to Dublin. Yes Dublin have vast income and yes i think to an extent the GAA should review a redistribution system to help the very small counties but other then that some of the counties need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and be more proactive

I can't speak for Meath but the Kildare minors beat Dublin for the third time since 2010 today. We're lightyears off them at senior level but there is good work being done at underage level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Sometimes you gotta love the GAA. random people congratulating me in my local Roscommon Club, and people in the Gaeltacht crossing the street to shake my nephew's hand just because he's wearing a Westmeath shirt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

What stupid, ill-informed tripe.

Since you're harping on about underage success (which has little bearing when it comes to senior football), Kildare minors beat Dublin today to qualify for their third Leinster final in five years. Our U21s have been relatively successful in recent years too. Underage success does not guarantee success at senior level. Longford, Laois and Tipperary are all examples of this.

Throwing the Seanie Johnston debacle into the mix is childish and quite frankly pathetic.

There was four teams playing at Croker in perfect weather today and just 50k turned up to watch. I didn't bother parting with €30 to watch Kildare get mauled which every man and his dog knew was going to happen. People are losing interest in the farce that is the Leinster championship and who can blame them. Is this the way people want the most popular sport in Ireland to become?

What stupid, ill-informed tripe.

Since you're harping on about underage success (which has little bearing when it comes to senior football), Kildare minors beat Dublin today to qualify for their third Leinster final in five years. Our U21s have been relatively successful in recent years too. Underage success does not guarantee success at senior level. Longford, Laois and Tipperary are all examples of this.

Throwing the Seanie Johnston debacle into the mix is childish and quite frankly pathetic.

There was four teams playing at Croker in perfect weather today and just 50k turned up to watch. I didn't bother parting with €30 to watch Kildare get mauled which every man and his dog knew was going to happen. People are losing interest in the farce that is the Leinster championship and who can blame them. Is this the way people want the most popular sport in Ireland to become?

I cannot understand why Kildare were so determined for Johnston to play for them at the time tbh and i dont think Kildare were as good since but thats another issue. Yes your right underage success doesnt guarantee senior success but it gives a good basis going forward. Im glad that kildare are getting their house in order and i hope it will at least translate to relative competitiveness with the big teams, but i cannot fathom how in this moment in time that Kildare and Meath have let things go to this state when the situation looked on the up just a few years ago. They both have alot going for them as counties and should really be doing better against Dublin but today it was as if they hadnt took the time to study Dublin going into the game and watch for the obvious things like the short kick outs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I cannot understand why Kildare were so determined for Johnston to play for them at the time tbh and i dont think Kildare were as good since but thats another issue. Yes your right underage success doesnt guarantee senior success but it gives a good basis going forward. Im glad that kildare are getting their house in order and i hope it will at least translate to relative competitiveness with the big teams, but i cannot fathom how in this moment in time that Kildare and Meath have let things go to this state when the situation looked on the up just a few years ago. They both have alot going for them as counties and should really be doing better against Dublin but today it was as if they hadnt took the time to study Dublin going into the game and watch for the obvious things like the short kick outs

Neither could a lot of people in Kildare and it coincided with the decline of that team. There were a lot of other factors at play but it definitely had a negative impact and probably ultimately cost McGeeney that job. It hasn't happened for Kildare under Ryan. He was unfortunate to lose some of the best underage players to other sports but his team has underperformed for the most part.

Kildare's population advantage is a bit overstated to be honest. A huge proportion of that population are recent blow ins with zero connection to the county. They don't tend to get involved in the community. Maybe that will change as their kids grow up and they develop their own sense of place and identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

He's right though. We were dead and buried until they missed that goal opportunity. We were very fortunate their backline was non existent.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nonsense.

Its not nonsense, whats nonsense is the revisionism surrounding that game.

Some people now like to pretend Donegal had a genius masterplan that day, that they knew how to handle the dubs and that the gameplan worked perfectly.

And its all rubbish. Dublin had Donegal absolutely beaten out the gate, they were spanking them all around the field and had they taken even just a few more of their chances the game would have been over long before half time. Then for some reason Dublin stopped pressing in their defence and over the next 15 minutes Donegal realised they had far too much time and space and finally started going for crucial scores.

Masterplan my hole, Dublin could and should have put a cricket score on Donegal just the same as Mayo had done previously, instead they switched off and handed Donegal the win. I have no doubt whatsoever that McGuiness and the Donegal team couldn't believe their luck that day, because if Dublin hadn't stopped playing they would have been on the end of a serious hiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Qualifier Draw Live Here

Bowl 1 consists of: Armagh, Wexford, Louth, Tyrone
    Bowl 2 consists of: Meath, Derry, Tipperary and Galway.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0629/711274-live-all-ireland-qualifier-round-2-draw/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Its not nonsense, whats nonsense is the revisionism surrounding that game.

Some people now like to pretend Donegal had a genius masterplan that day, that they knew how to handle the dubs and that the gameplan worked perfectly.

And its all rubbish. Dublin had Donegal absolutely beaten out the gate, they were spanking them all around the field and had they taken even just a few more of their chances the game would have been over long before half time. Then for some reason Dublin stopped pressing in their defence and over the next 15 minutes Donegal realised they had far too much time and space and finally started going for crucial scores.

Masterplan my hole, Dublin could and should have put a cricket score on Donegal just the same as Mayo had done previously, instead they switched off and handed Donegal the win. I have no doubt whatsoever that McGuiness and the Donegal team couldn't believe their luck that day, because if Dublin hadn't stopped playing they would have been on the end of a serious hiding.

I think it was a bit more than simply switching off. Dublin waltzed through leinster without any questions being asked and when donegal asked them they couldn't respond. It will be interesting what will happen when these questions are asked again. Mayo could have beaten Dublin two years ago so Dublin not that far ahead of everyone but certainly the favourites.

Derry v Wexford
    Tyrone v Meath
    Tipperary v Louth
    Armagh v Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Patww79 wrote: »

I'd give Galway a great chance of beating Armagh, in fact I'd expect them to win it.

Great draw for Tipp also, but shoukd they win it will be tough in Rd 3

Jez I'd imagine Tyrone wouldn't be thinking that once Meath learn lessons from yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Home advantage is a big plus here.

Would be no surprise to see all four home teams go through.

Galway against Armagh looks like it will be the most competitve but with both both those sides a lot will depend on what sort of form they in on the day.

I wouldn't call Derry's draw easy either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think it was a bit more than simply switching off. Dublin waltzed through leinster without any questions being asked and when donegal asked them they couldn't respond. It will be interesting what will happen when these questions are asked again. Mayo could have beaten Dublin two years ago so Dublin not that far ahead of everyone but certainly the favourites.

There was a 10/15 minute period over half time where Dublin, and in particular the half back line, simply switched off and stopped putting any pressure on the ball. One incident in particular stands out, that of McCarthy simply standing and watching as the ball went around him in almost a full square, he didn't even try to lay a hand on it.

Donegal weren't asking any questions at that stage so it wasn't a case of Dublin being unable to respond. It was only later when Donegal realised what was happening that they then really started to apply the pressure. Dublin couldn't get the pace back when that happened, but that wouldn't have happened at all had Dublin not completely stopped playing.

People really do forget just how dominant Dublin were in that first half, they completely destroyed the vaunted Donegal blanket and I bet Jim McGuinness knew it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement