Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭mjp

Thinking of having a punt on dean rock @4/1 for championship top scorer. He's been averaging 6 points a game during the league finishing top scorer with 1-52. He is going to have 3 matches in provincial championship and would end up playing 6 if dubs make it to final. His main challengers all have serious questionmarks hanging over them.

Cillian o connor looks to be out for provincial semi against galway after knee operation and will play considerably less matches. Don't fancy mayo to progress past quarters/ semis.

Kerry's scoring threat I feel will be shared between Gooch james o donohue Brian Sheehan and Paul Geaney and difficult to see who will be their main threat.

Biggest threat I see is Cork's colm o neill who was free scoring and joint top scorer in the league with dean rock. He can be backed at 14/1 in powers for top scoring honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

mjp wrote: »
    Thinking of having a punt on dean rock @4/1 for championship top scorer. He's been averaging 6 points a game during the league finishing top scorer with 1-52. He is going to have 3 matches in provincial championship and would end up playing 6 if dubs make it to final. His main challengers all have serious questionmarks hanging over them.

Cillian o connor looks to be out for provincial semi against galway after knee operation and will play considerably less matches. Don't fancy mayo to progress past quarters/ semis.

Kerry's scoring threat I feel will be shared between Gooch james o donohue Brian Sheehan and Paul Geaney and difficult to see who will be their main threat.

Biggest threat I see is Cork's colm o neill who was free scoring and joint top scorer in the league with dean rock. He can be backed at 14/1 in powers for top scoring honours.
    Colm o Neill hasn't unfortunately a hope of winning this as yes maybes v clare he will get a big score however cork won't beat kerry and kerry will have colm well marked with a well planned defence system and unfortunately colm won't have possession from midfield or half forwards to create space for him
    Last year v sligo he got ten points and has the ability to so against teams like that that simply won't have the players to hold him or hurley and cork will also have possession so he could score but as last year showed when up against better teams he won't get enough ball or fast ball he'll struggle

And it's highly unlikely cork will get past an all Ireland Semi final
    Depending who they meet it could be an early season
    At best cork imo have clare then kerry then a qualifier quatre final then
    So your possibly looking at four games but it's a huge ask to expect colm score a lot when you take kerry out of that
    Dublin have a lot of handy games in leinster and even against blanket defences such is their game plan and midfield their ace forward could still score three points those games as he will be brought in to the game
    Cillan o Connor won it last year and the reason was even though didn't get to a final the replay v kerry gave him the extra game the final would have and also the year before and also year before that when mcfadden won it all those two years both teams got to an all Ireland final
    When your backing a player here to win this your trying to pick a top forward but one who team will get to the all Ireland final and the very least a all Ireland Semi final as the last three years winners proved
    That imo rules colm out as it's very hard to see cork based on what we saw this league be at the latter stages of the all Ireland championship

Dublin beat clare last night in a challenge in clare 4-14 to 0-14

One of the best forwards in the game imo better than rock by a large mark is bigger odds as bookies know too well colm isn't supported by a team where rock could very well win it as he's well supported by he's team
    Colm odds are so high for a reason and it really shows when such a talent would make any team in Ireland is such long odds it shows more imo odds reflection of cork than actually colm talents itself as colm was with Dublin or kerry he'd win it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

mjp wrote: »

If you were to base it on points per game, he'd be a good bet, but last years top 5 scorers were from Mayo (O'Connor,) Sweeney, (Tipp,) Kingston, (Laois,) Quigley (Fermanagh) and Walsh (Galway.) So if you were looking to do an each way bet, I'd be putting a few bob on someone coming thru the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If you were to base it on points per game, he'd be a good bet, but last years top 5 scorers were from Mayo (O'Connor,) Sweeney, (Tipp,) Kingston, (Laois,) Quigley (Fermanagh) and Walsh (Galway.) So if you were looking to do an each way bet, I'd be putting a few bob on someone coming thru the qualifiers.

I'd agree totally an each way bet any of those and maybe even small chance on colm at fourteen as dan Goulding got one twenty seven three years ago to be up among the top
    However as for winning outright colm has little chance as your team must give you a platform

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭mjp

Yeah have to agree with you regarding o neill as the max no of games he will have to get to a quarter final is 4 so will stay away from him. Powers are only firm going e/w on this market with 1/4 odds first 3. Sweeney at 50s and quigley at 40s would have a decent shout at those prices as can see the get a decent run in qualifiers based on form shown in league to date and may well face some poor div 3/ div 4 sides at that early stage. Looser of donegal tyrone game on Sunday should get a good run in qualifiers as they will be playing poor enough opposition unless draw is cruel to them and going on previous years a run in qualifiers will get you up near top of charts.
    Problem with tyrone is that they have no huge scorer in chief with mc curry and sean cavanagh their scorers in chief but they tend to have a wide spread of scorers. Mc curry is available at 33s if interested.
    Michael murphy is available at 25s with powers which looks decent value seeing as donegal should get a good few games this year however the doubt with murphy is how close to goal he will play and what his role will be in gallaghers gameplan.

As a word of warning if your backing in powers the prices on a number of players have been flip flopping every hour. E.g murphy is changing from 25/1 to 15/2 every 50 mins. This looks to be a glitch on powers pricing. If backing anyone you can check out the times of price changes through oddschecker and avail of top price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Can anyone tell me the score in the St Oliver plunketts hurly game?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Can anyone tell me the score in the St Oliver plunketts hurly game?

Plunketts won.

Plunketts 1-16 v Colmcille 0-08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Longford have just beaten Offaly in Tullamore by 3 points. So Longford it is in the QF at the end of the month.

I only wish we could play them in Longford like last time we met in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just seen that former Kerry hurler Darragh O Connell played in a challenge game for the Dubs against Tipp at the weekend,tidy hurler he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Big fan of his, but pretty surprised he got a look in with the Dublin team.

Delighted for him. Fine hurler, if a bit on the small size for the top level IMO.

Huge loss to Kerry, despite their success this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Just seen that former Kerry hurler Darragh O Connell played in a challenge game for the Dubs against Tipp at the weekend,tidy hurler he is.

Kerry have hurlers:eek: I thought they only did football like Kilkenny only do
    Hurling.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Kerry have hurlers:eek: I thought they only did football like Kilkenny only do
    Hurling.:D

Yes, that is the standard "line" people throw at Kerry hurlers.
    There is a very small but staunch pocket of 8 or 9 hurling clubs in North East Kerry. Most of them are hurling only actually. Where Eamonn Fitzmaurice and Paul Galvin are from (Lixnaw) for example, there is no football played. Footballers go 4 miles down the road to Finuge.
    Kenmare/Kilgarvan in south Kerry and Crokes and St Pats in Killarney play also, with a scattered few underage clubs here and there. That's Kerry club hurling. They do ok all things considered.

Darragh O'Connell is a huge loss to our hurlers but not sure if he'll cut it with Dublin. Wish him all the best though. If Ger Cunningham sees something in him, it can't be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What club does Darragh O Connell play for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

salmocab wrote: »
    What club does Darragh O Connell play for?

Plays with Cuala AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

jim gavin was down our side of the country last week for a bit of a homecoming , he also brought down a fairly strong squad for a challenge against our lads , think they stayed for a few days afterwards no doubt it was all strictly warm weather acclimatization ahead of the longford game ;) think 60 in total between squad and county board delegates . .

Dublin:

Sean Currie;

Phill yMcMahon, Michael Fitzsimons,Johnny Cooper;
    Jame sMcCarthy, Cian O’Sullivan,Jack McCaffrey;
    Brian Fenton,Emmett O’Conghaile;
    Tomás Brady, Ciaran Kilkenny, Diarmuid Connolly;
    Dean Rock,Kevin McManamon, Bernard Brogan.

Subs: Darren Daly, Eoin
    Culligan, John Small, Paddy
    Andrews, Alan Brogan and
    Michael Darragh McCauley.
    Scorers: Alan Brogan (2-1),
    Bernard Brogan (1-4, 3f), Dean
    Rock (1-3, 2f), Ciarán Kilkenny
    (0-2), James McCarthy, Emmett
    O’Conghaile and Philly
    McMahon
    (0-1 each).
    Wides: 8;
    frees: 12;
    45s: 1 .

the final score in miltown was somthing like 4-12 to 0-15

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Any news on Flynn being out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There are all sorts of rumours going around that he has the same osteo pubis (sp?) groin problem that the Brogans had & that off season surgery didn't fix it. The rumours vary from his missing the entire year, to missing the Leinster champo, to missing just a few weeks. The truth is probably some where in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Other rumour is he may not be in the red of Fingallians for too much longer either, but a blank page never refuses ink I suppose.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Out for year from what i hear.

(decent source)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Slattsy wrote: »
    Out for year from what i hear.

(decent source)

That would be quite a big blow,really top top player.Go to man in the Dublin forward line most especially when the tide is going against Dublin.More important to Dublin than even Diarmuid Connolly.Seriously underrated by a large cohort of the GAA community,appears to be a very nice lad to boot.I should be delighted from a selfish point of view but it is always disappointing to see one of the very best forwards in the country miss the championship from a neutral's point of view.If it is confirmed it is a blow similar to the Gooch's absence from the Kingdom's line up last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

"Dublin football management have allayed fears over Paul Flynn following reports that a groin injury may rule him out for some or all of their 2015 Championship campaign.
    Flynn underwent surgery on a condition known as Gilmore's Groin on January 5tand made his seasonal comeback on March 7 as a half-time substitute against Tyrone in Croke Park.

He subsequently started each of Dublin's next four League matches but played no part in their Division 1 final win over Cork.
    Reports over the weekend suggested that Flynn had contracted osteitis pubis, the injury which forced Alan Brogan out for an entire season but a member of management has quashed any fears over the Fingallians man's fitness.
    The Herald also understands that Flynn also took a full part in Dublin training over the weekend ahead of next Sunday's Leinster SFC opener against Longford in Croke Park."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

seligehgit wrote: »
    If it is confirmed it is a blow similar to the Gooch's absence from the Kingdom's line up last year.
    I wouldn't mins losing Flynn if we went on to win the All-Ireland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Thank God, Flynner is my favourite and probably our best player imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Even as a Kerry fan I wouldn't want Flynn to be missing from the championship. He's a class act and there's no acting the b*llix or anything with him. Plays the game as hard as you want though and has turned into a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thank God, Flynner is my favourite and probably our best player imo.

Likewise. Hes a great player. He has a brilliant workrate and can pick off long range points with ease. Hes also an unselfish player always trying to pick out a pass. Losing Flynner would be a massive loss for us. Thank god the rumours are false:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Being a PP holder, I went over to Dorset Street to get my ticket for Sunday this morning. It is a pity that although the Hurling match will probably be the more competitive of the two matches, that most people won't come in until the second match. A full Hill 16, and other parts of the stadium, roaring on the hurlers would be great to see. I am sure a lot of you here will get in for it. Up the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭billyhead

Flukey wrote: »
    Being a PP holder, I went over to Dorset Street to get my ticket for Sunday this morning. It is a pity that although the Hurling match will probably be the more competitive of the two matches, that most people won't come in until the second match. A full Hill 16, and other parts of the stadium, roaring on the hurlers would be great to see. I am sure a lot of you here will get in for it. Up the Dubs.
    True the hurling game should be on at 4pm as the football will be one sided. Its just how big of a support the footballers have compared to the interest in the hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Do all PP holders still have to collect their match tickets for each game?

Surely, there could be some system in place, to print off a paper based ticket online, as you do with the season ticket.. or at the very least just have a PP card that you could scan on entry to Croker?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Kop On wrote: »
    Do all PP holders still have to collect their match tickets for each game?

Surely, there could be some system in place, to print off a paper based ticket online, as you do with the season ticket.. or at the very least just have a PP card that you could scan on entry to Croker?

The crazy thing is, you can renew online, but you can't buy the actual match tickets that way. It surely wouldn't be hard to set it up so that you could login and use your pass to buy them. I know some people only collect for the final. They buy through Tickets.ie for the other matches and use the pass to get in to club championship matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The crazy thing is, you can renew online, but you can't buy the actual match tickets that way. It surely wouldn't be hard to set it up so that you could login and use your pass to buy them. I know some people only collect for the final. They buy through Tickets.ie for the other matches and use the pass to get in to club championship matches.
    That's what I do. I work in town so got my Hill ticket today in Super Valu on Aston Quay. No point trekking up to Dorset St for it. I do like the buzz of going down to Dorset St for my ticket for the final though (if we get there). Strolling out of the ticket office with that A.I. final ticket in your pocket feeling all :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement