Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah and even crazier an interim belt for lighter weight will still headline over robbie rory. The power of McGregor!

Now, get ready for that 'balls on the forehead' quote to be played 100 times this week, dunno why but i think I'm more pumped for this fight!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Regardless of the work Conor has put in, I find it really strange to have an interim title as a headliner when there is an actual title on the line in the co-main.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Now what's the chances of Jose retiring undefeated (ufc)? Would be a shnakey move but can see it happening.

I'm trying to remain calm and be rational but it's proving difficult.

Conor can fight on a torn ACL and win.
    Aldo can't fight because his ribs are too sore.

Obviously this is pre-fight but... gah. It's frustrating as fúck.

I like Mendes. I actually think he seems like a good guy but it's hard to build yourself up to this fight with less than two weeks notice when Aldo has been the guy in all of the images and all of the promos for the last 7 months.

Injuries happen. I know that. It's a risk buying flights and tickets that far out in advance but fúck.

Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sheehy83 wrote: »
    An interim belt is stupid in this instance but i am glad there is a belt oN the line.

I agree that the interim title, for the sake of a 4 month layoff is stupid, but in this instance it is serving another purpose. Lawlor v Hendricks would have to get top billing as the title, which means that McGregor v Mendes can only a 3 rounder - this is basically an NSAC rule.
    By introducing the interim title, it can remain as the main event, and also a 5 rounder. I'd much rather that way to be honest. It's better for those who are going, and its also better for McGregor to (potentially) get a 5-rounder under his belt going into face Aldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

When Conor beats Mendez i really do hope he refuses to give Aldo another fight and only recognise the Interim belt as him being champion. He will have huge sway with things then...

Failing that I see them giving him a truck load of cash and it being McGregor vs Aldo TUF season!

That_Guy wrote: »
    Conor can fight on a torn ACL and win.
    Aldo can't fight because his ribs are too sore.

That's a really silly point you are trying to make.
    If Aldo hurt his Ribs half way through the fight he's fight on. Pre fight is completely different

Mellor wrote: »
    That's a really silly point you are trying to make.
    If Aldo hurt his Ribs half way through the fight he's fight on. Pre fight is completely different

Em, I acknowledged that point.

I know I was being irrational but I pointed that out in the line after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

What a load of ****. Everyone been looking forward to this for so long.

Aldo's record of no shows are a disgrace at this stage.

Say the UFC are fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Im heading to the fight and this is **** news but at least Conor is fighting. Saying that though if I was to bet on it id say Mendes will beat Conor. Would have been a very close fight to start with but all this drama is bound to have an effect on Conor, hes been visibliy down in recent interviews and Mendes must be over the moon with the news. Hope im wrong!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

MarkJD wrote: »
    When Conor beats Mendez i really do hope he refuses to give Aldo another fight and only recognise the Interim belt as him being champion. He will have huge sway with things then...

Failing that I see them giving him a truck load of cash and it being McGregor vs Aldo TUF season!

Refuse a fight in UFC = Dana White takes your belt away.

@Mellor

Didn't mean that post to sound crabby. Just on a bit of a downer. I know I was being irrational with some of the comments I made.

It's a crap situation but at least I get to watch fights in Vegas.

This clip will probably be be repeated for days now.

Chad Mendes opens as a slight favourite over McGregor. PP have Mendes as a underdog

@Mellor

Didn't mean that post to sound crabby. Just on a bit of a downer. I know I was being irrational with some of the comments I made.

It's all good. Fairly gutted myself.
    I'm just trying to look at it that Aldo knew he was going to lose if he was less than 100%. He fears Conor more than he lets on

Mellor wrote: »
    It's all good. Fairly gutted myself.
    I'm just trying to look at it that Aldo knew he was going to lose if he was less than 100%. He fears Conor more than he lets on

I'd imagine if Aldo is not fighting it was a call made by UFC medics, not Aldo himself.

If he makes the call himself he has to deal with Dana's wrath, the medics make the call he gets a free pass and doesn't get penalised.

I reckon, win or lose, he's not walking away from that payday willingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Anybody worried now mcgregor might pull put, just thinking about the rumors last week that his knee was not 100% and if hes not 100% would be madness to chance losing aganist Mendes and losing title shot. Really hope im wrong about this just freaking out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

TimRiggins wrote: »
    The UFC are really missing a trick here. They shouldn't have announced this till the Weigh ins. Everyone expects Aldo and Mendes walks out, would have been crazy!

Think they announced it so they can go ahead filming Embedded with McGregor/Mendes.

As an aside and just for general curiosity, I'd love to know what the results of Jose Aldo's drug test were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'd imagine if Aldo is not fighting it was a call made by UFC medics, not Aldo himself.

If he makes the call himself he has to deal with Dana's wrath, the medics make the call he gets a free pass and doesn't get penalised.

I reckon, win or lose, he's not walking away from that payday willingly.

He walked away. Dana would have said the medics had pulled him if they did but instead said that his coach called and said it's off. Does UFC no favours to make their champ look like he backed out again.

Aldo once again shows he won't fight unless 100%, if he was a soccer player he'd be called all the names under the sun for being cleared and refusing to play. Actually maybe it's his soccer roots coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm pretty down now but from the media call tomorrow onwards this is going to get tasty. Both lads dislike each other since previous and I don't Mendes has the quick wits to deal with Conor when it comes to interviews etc so it'll go down the Poirier route during embedded, with added background noise from the rest of team alpha male. It'll be exactly what Conor and the fans need heading into next week.

On the interim title, I was extremely skeptical at first but it's completely the right decision.

Firstly, it keeps Conor in the main event (as changing the focus now would destroy any momentum the event still has), it gives the travelling fans the title fight they paid for, gives both fights 5 rounds, and most importantly belatedly sends a message to Aldo that the UFC are done with his pulling out of fights crap. 5 out of 8 fights is an appalling and embarrassing stat and it has to call into question his p4p status and his general legacy. It's a lot easier to be the best and be undefeated for so long when you refuse to fight unless you're 100%. I was an Aldo fan but I think this stat flew under the radar for a lot of people until this fight, even if this is a case of the boy who cried wolf and he is actually injured this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

For some reason I can see Mendes being a tougher opponent for mcgregor... I think Mendes is rightly favourite, and it just won't be the offensive strike storm the Aldo fight had built itself up to be.

But, having said that. How much prep work would Mendes have put in for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭ibrahimovic

.ak wrote: »
    For some reason I can see Mendes being a tougher opponent for mcgregor... I think Mendes is rightly favourite, and it just won't be the offensive strike storm the Aldo fight had built itself up to be.

But, having said that. How much prep work would Mendes have put in for this?

Mendes isn't the favourite though, I've heard that from a few sources, where are people getting that?

http://www.oddschecker.com/ufc-mma/chad-mendes-v-conor-mcgregor/winner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

It is a downer but I hope if he wins they dont do the unification in Brazil. While it would be huge it would be aldo gaining from this. From the sound of it and their logic that they are doing an interim because he has pulled out of so many fights the ufc are pissed and its hard to argue

Now im just looking forward to embedded to start me getting pumped. Next week should fly by

Mendes isn't the favourite though, I've heard that from a few sources, where are people getting that?

He's favourite on the american market, not Irish/British. It's fairly common for bookies in different countries to offer different odds on the same event to cover their potential losses.

Bookies here know nobody will back Mendes so they can offer long odds, they know everyone will back conor so they have to try and limit their losses if he does win.

It is a downer but I hope if he wins they dont do the unification in Brazil. While it would be huge it would be aldo gaining from this. From the sound of it and their logic that they are doing an interim because he has pulled out of so many fights the ufc are pissed and its hard to argue

Now im just looking forward to embedded to start me getting pumped. Next week should fly by

The only reason an interim belt is happening is so that the NSAC will sanction a 5 round bout, UFC still have a double headline night and they don't have to apologise for losing one of the main draws for PPV and ticket sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭ibrahimovic

He's favourite on the american market, not Irish/British. It's fairly common for bookies in different countries to offer different odds on the same event to cover their potential losses.

Bookies here know nobody will back Mendes so they can offer long odds, they know everyone will back conor so they have to try and limit their losses if he does win.
    Oh i didnt know that, couldnt you just get a relative or something to bet on Mcgregor in the states and back Mendes here and make a guaranteed profit in that case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Doctors clear him to fight and his coach pulls him out

How is he not stripped of title? Clearly just running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

"Give" him another fight? You think he "gave" him this one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Bolex!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Right lets build up the Mendes - McGregor fight and forget about Aldo, better off declaring it now instead of right before and rightfully pissing everyone off while giving McGregor Mendes zero build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

What planet are you living on? Aldo is the champ and pulling out of the fight doesn't change that. If McGregor wants to be the champ, he has to beat Aldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Can a moderator change the thread title to Mendes please? Also the new picture with the breakdown of the fighters can be found at the link below. I'll PM it to a moderator when I get on the computer this afternoon if needed. Cheers :)

http://uk.ufc.com/event/UFC189?f1=Chad-Mendes&f2=Conor-McGregor

I'm not bothered by the pull out, I'd rather a healthy Mendes than an injured Aldo and let's be honest, McGregor didn't deserve the shot in the first place, if he wins, he'll rightfully earn his shot at Aldo next.

I feel sorry for the people going but it should still be a fantastic fight. Mendes is a very solid sub.

Paully D wrote: »
    Can a moderator change the thread title to Mendes please? Also the new picture with the breakdown of the fighters can be found at the link below. I'll PM it to a moderator when I get on the computer this afternoon if needed. Cheers :)

http://uk.ufc.com/event/UFC189?f1=Chad-Mendes&f2=Conor-McGregor

New thread with a new poll imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

As an aside and just for general curiosity, I'd love to know what the results of Jose Aldo's drug test were.

I never even thought of that. But it certainly sounds suspicious when you think about it. Nothing would surprise me to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The retarded comments on this thread is strong.

I want McGregor to fight Aldo as much as the next person but he's injured like he has been many times before, he clearly trains and spars too hard, hardly a shock at this stage.

Vegas bookies opened with Mendes as favourite. That was before european bookies had markets.
    Looks like that got hammered as McGregor dropped from 2.10 to 1.77 pretty fast.

That's when the European market picked up the price and open with those odds.

As fair as I can see, McGregor is favorite across the board now.
    This is a graph of the price over time. The peak is when they announced Alos was out, then the land slide over a few hours.
    getIndexGraph.php?fighter=2&fightID=10449&oddsType=1
    It's common with brick and mortar, trackside bookies etc. But not too common where they are open to internet bets, as they'd be hammered with arbs.

I never even thought of that. But it certainly sounds suspicious when you think about it.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Wow gearing up for months to fight Aldo and he pulls out. That has to have an affect on McGregor psychology going into the fight .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Not surprised at all, the writing was on the wall since the rib injury arose. It's a difficult one to fight through, but plenty have. I have a strange feeling Conor is carrying a worse injury, but he won't say until after.

I think there's probably more to it all anyway and it'll come to light eventually. Whatever, it still sucks.

Mendes is a great fight though. But there's now even more pressure on Conor to win and it's a tougher matchup for him for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

magma69 wrote: »
    I'm not bothered by the pull out, I'd rather a healthy Mendes than an injured Aldo and let's be honest, McGregor didn't deserve the shot in the first place, if he wins, he'll rightfully earn his shot at Aldo next.

I feel sorry for the people going but it should still be a fantastic fight. Mendes is a very solid sub.

Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Paully D will you edit the poll and add an Atari jaguar option please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I suppose it goes both ways in that Mendes might not have been training to fight McGregor directly but it certainly does McGregor no favours to have to prepare for a completely different style of fighter so close to the event.

Hashtag concerned.

Lads please stop with the Mendes is a tougher fight

Aldo is the undefeated champion and has beaten Mendes twice

There is no disputing who is the tougher opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Lads please stop with the Mendes is a tougher fight

Aldo is the undefeated champion and has beaten Mendes twice

There is no disputing who is the tougher opponent.

In terms of style, there's absolutely a discussion to be had about it, why can't you see that? Jon Jones refused to fight chael sonnen on the same amount of notice from Dan Henderson because of the difference in styles

Absolutely devastated

dulux99 wrote: »
    In terms of style, there's absolutely a discussion to be had about it, why can't you see that? Jon Jones refused to fight chael sonnen on the same amount of notice from Dan Henderson because of the difference in styles

Absolutely devastated

No I see that aldo is the champion and has beaten Mendes twice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

JustTheOne wrote: »
    No I see that aldo is the champion and has beaten Mendes twice
    On paper

"styles make fights"

Are you also a big proponent of MMA math? Because it doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Now what's the chances of Jose retiring undefeated (ufc)? Would be a shnakey move but can see it happening.

And miss a final payday that is worth 10 times his normal payday? Doubt it. Plus I'd imagine he'd get a rematch. The guy would be set for life. I'd say he is injured but he's being hyper sensitive about it.

dulux99 wrote: »
    On paper

"styles make fights"

Are you also a big proponent of MMA math? Because it doesn't make sense.

But aldo as wiped the floor with many good wrestlers

Who's to say conor won't do the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Devastated that im heading over and it wont be Aldo.

I dont think Mendes will be near ready for the fight either.

He would of needed at least a 6 week training camp.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement