Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

py2006 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that Aldo is physically bigger than Conor?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

That_Guy wrote: »
    Really? You're basing McGregor's cardio on having not seen him run in videos? Jeeeaaayyysssuuuuusss

I didn't bash his fitness, I just asked if he incorporates running into his training. I thought perhaps someone might know that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    I didn't bash his fitness, I just asked if he incorporates running into his training. I thought perhaps someone might know that's all.

You'd imagine he does a bit just to shake off the cobwebs in the morning and get the heart beat pumping before their training.

Wouldn't say it's an integral part of his training though at a guess. They'd have cardio machines and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That_Guy wrote: »
    Really? You're basing McGregor's cardio on having not seen him run in videos? Jeeeaaayyysssuuuuusss

It was a different poster who questioned it.
    Ian Whelan was just quoted me to ask the question.
    In all of the videos I have seen of McGregor training I have never seen him out for a run. Surely he must do it though?
    He posted this on favebook the other day. So that's the answer really.
    #Reeboks ;)

11174898_1080972661971032_4185610338008273067_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=08813644ee33a168874fcecb927795aa&oe=56316C12&__gda__=1445290611_630e2f9ed7b179e072b61053c1ca5580
    cronin_j wrote: »
    Running fitness and Fighting fitness are not the same thing at all....
    There are other elements to fight fitness. Tempo and intensity for example.
    But running is a pretty good measure of cardiovascular ability, and it's has a huge carry over to fighting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Rocky proves that running is directly proportional to winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Best way to get cardio for MMA is to train MMA getting in rounds, or MMA specific cardio exercises.

Most fighters I know would not do that much running at all. Its more done to burn extra calories when dropping weight , and some sprints are done for explosiveness and recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

In all of the videos I have seen of McGregor training I have never seen him out for a run. Surely he must do it though?

There was a video of a short local news segment in Vegas floating around the last week, where the reporter mentioned that Conor had just returned from a run before they spoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Best way to get cardio for MMA is to train MMA getting in rounds, or MMA specific cardio exercises.

Most fighters I know would not do that much running at all. Its more done to burn extra calories when dropping weight , and some sprints are done for explosiveness and recovery.

Best way to get cardio for an MMA fight all depends on the fighter, there is no set in stone specific way to train best. Rolling with guys is great for your cardio, sparring is also great but It doesn't capture the full intensiveness of an actual fight and the closer you get to mimiking a real fight the higher the risk of injury you run is.

Running is a fantastic cardiovascular excercise and It can have huge benefits inside the octagon, I think It's pretty obvious to spot the guys who don't run, specifically the heavyweights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Am I right in saying that Aldo is physically bigger than Conor?

Conor's looked bigger anytime I've seen the two beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Conor's looked bigger anytime I've seen the two beside each other.

Maybe you are right, just watching a couple fights on youtube and I though Aldo had more muscle defintion in arms, shoulders and chest.

He appears to have stronger kicks too, I think Conors kicks are weak and his spinning kicks leave him vulnerable as his back is to his opponent for a second.

Now, I could be talking through my ass as I am new to this sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Maybe you are right, just watching a couple fights on youtube and I though Aldo had more muscle defintion in arms, shoulders and chest.

He appears to have stronger kicks too, I think Conors kicks are weak and his spinning kicks leave him vulnerable as his back is to his opponent for a second.

His spinning kicks are lightening fast, and present quite a risk, should you choose to lunge in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Yeah, while Conor has a reach advantage Aldo has more muscle mass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Am I the only paddy who can't stand McGreg and wants him to lose? I guess we'll find out if he's just a motormouth or the real deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Am I the only paddy who can't stand McGreg and wants him to lose? I guess we'll find out if he's just a motormouth or the real deal!

People like you have been posting carbon copies of that post for five fights now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

No no there are plenty of you self hating Irish out there who refer to themselves in the derogatory term Paddy.
    I think you should stick to cheering on Sheamus.

Saipanne wrote: »
    His spinning kicks are lightening fast, and present quite a risk, should you choose to lunge in.

They are also extremely risky and against someone like Aldo he has no room for error.

I can't stand his persona, I think he is a very talented guy but I can't stand the act. I don't necessarily wan't him to lose but It Is a huge test for him and would be nice to see him humbled.

I'd be delighted for him If he won and proved himself but then I'd also have to listen to him and all his fanboys go on about how he's the greatest thing since Bruce Lee and nothing can touch him (except duffy :pac:)

No no there are plenty of you self hating Irish out there who refer to themselves in the derogatory term Paddy.

I just think he's an insufferable arrogant twat. And the whole Oirish Celtic Warrior schtick...
    Aldo has a quiet dignity about him and I'd love to see him batter McGregor! Here's hoping!!

I love my country, just not his particular representation of us. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Jesus, the MMA experts on here that only usually come out Fightweek are here early! You'd know its a big one!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If he wins it'll be - "oh Aldo was injured" I suppose :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Best way to get cardio for an MMA fight all depends on the fighter, there is no set in stone specific way to train best. Rolling with guys is great for your cardio, sparring is also great but It doesn't capture the full intensiveness of an actual fight and the closer you get to mimiking a real fight the higher the risk of injury you run is.

Running is a fantastic cardiovascular exercise and It can have huge benefits inside the octagon, I think It's pretty obvious to spot the guys who don't run, specifically the heavyweights.

I have to disagree. I think the basis is the same and does not vary that much. To get cardio for MMA you need to do MMA rounds. If you have good partners injury should be minimal but always a risk in any contract sport.

Same way if you are cycling you need to cycle. Top level cyclist don't spend much time running nor do top level MMA fighters.

The running in fighting is a traditional approach but is not a major part of the modern fighters training regime outside of burning extra calories, and some sprint training. Long distance running is really not preparing your body for the explosive bursts or recovery of an MMA fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Jesus, the MMA experts on here that only usually come out Fightweek are here early! You'd know its a big one!

Sorry i didn't notice your new screen name coach Kavanagh!

Paully D wrote: »

It seems I'm not allowed to be Team Aldo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Would you not like to see an Irishman as world champion :D We've not got much to shout about these days.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Would you not like to see an Irishman as world champion :D We've not got much to shout about these days.

Not if it's a mouthy eejit like him no! Fair play if he does it though

No you're not because you're Irish so you HAVE to support the Irish sports person or else you're anti Irish and a wanker. That seems to be the general consensus in all sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

That's because it will be true. Hollow victory against an injured opponent who can't say no to the payday. Fight should be cancelled until both men are peaked and uninjured.

No you're not because you're Irish so you HAVE to support the Irish sports person or else you're anti Irish and a wanker. That seems to be the general consensus in all sport.

Man I was stressed out watching that girl in the London Olympics dinghy sailing. I'll cheer on any Irish person in any sport... Until now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

youtube! wrote: »
    That's because it will be true. Hollow victory against an injured opponent who can't say no to the payday. Fight should be cancelled until both men are peaked and uninjured.

It's MMA, not chess. You could be waiting forever for that to happen. You rarely get a situation where both fighters are not carrying an injury of some sort.

The only reason anyone even knows Aldo is injured is because he trains in such a large gym and the information got leaked. If he was in a tighter camp that wouldn't have happened and no-one would ever have known he was injured (take McGregor pre-UFC 178 for example).

If McGregor had won without Aldo's injury leaking (as what happens in plenty of situations), there'd be no talk about it being a hollow victory.

• Advertisement

It's MMA, not chess. You could be waiting forever for that to happen. You rarely get a situation where both fighters are not carrying an injury of some sort.

The only reason anyone even knows Aldo is injured is because he trains in such a large gym and the information got leaked. If he was in a tighter camp that wouldn't have happened and no-one would ever have known he was injured (take McGregor pre-UFC 178 for example).

If McGregor had won without Aldo's injury leaking (as what happens in plenty of situations), there'd be no talk about it being a hollow victory.

Very very true. Ken Shamrock fought Tito Ortiz with a torn ACL. Fighters always hide injuries for the payday. But I do firmly believe Aldo will not fight unless he's 100% or at least 90. He seems to have no problem pulling out of fights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement