Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Limericks wrote: »
    No they don't. Look up invitation to treat. I Would assume the price will be around this anyway as Nintendo really fudged up with the expensive price of the 3ds.

Nintendo may take a hit on every console sold but they will make it all back up in game sales and peripheral sales.

I'd be kind of surprised if Nintendo were willing to take a hit on the console RRP, to be honest. A substantial part of why they did so well with the Wii was that the manufacturing costs were low (since it was largely similar to the cube) so even when selling at a low price it was still profitable.

Sony, on the other hand, tried the "take a loss on each console to gain marketshare" model with the PS3, finally got to a stage where they can make a small profit on each console sold after 4 years or so, and will realistically be lucky to make a profit on the console overall at the end of its lifespan (between the $100-$200 discrepancy between manufacturing cost & RRP early in its life and the cost of replacement units); but they gain by having an established base of Blu-Ray players which benefits Sony Entertainment.

Nintendo don't have a sister company selling media, so taking a hit on the price of the Wii U early on doesn't have as clear a benefit for them. Though I do agree that they need to learn from their mistakes when launching the 3DS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,289 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well they did say they would not be selling the Wii U at a loss. I can see the same thing happening over here as with the 3DS since Europe gets to set their own price and so shops will try to undercut each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Definitely getting the WII U can't wait for Zombi U and New Super Mario Bros U :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353349/ea-holding-fire-on-two-unannounced-wii-u-games/

"Electronic Arts is preparing to announce at least two other Wii U projects currently in development"

that's more like it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353349/ea-holding-fire-on-two-unannounced-wii-u-games/

"Electronic Arts is preparing to announce at least two other Wii U projects currently in development"

Oh thank God :D

So Gamescom in August then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭Nollog

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So Gamescom in August then?

Nintendo already done said they're not going to gamescom, but nothing stopping EA saying stuff.

I think it points to a Nintendo Direct around the time of gamescom myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im hearing october 28th for launch, but ive no idea how reliable that is at all

price point of £250/€299/$299 looks likely, and a bit more expensive than the $250 that was forecast earlier. not crazy expensive if it turns out to be the case, but it might hurt them a touch

fifa and moh

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Nintendo already done said they're not going to gamescom, but nothing stopping EA saying stuff.

I think it points to a Nintendo Direct around the time of gamescom myself though.
    Yeah, sorry, I meant the EA announcements for Gamescom.

As for Nintendo Direct, good call. Maybe before Gamescom, allowing EA and any other company who wants to, show off features from Wii U. I'd say Ubisoft's presentation at E3 was one of the reasons for the Sunday Direct.

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    im hearing october 28th for launch, but ive no idea how reliable that is at all

answer: within 2 weeks reliable

booya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

definitely it will be in the before xmas, HMV have started a preorder for WII U

Preview of Pikmin 3 new game for WII U

Preview of Batman: Arkham City launch game for WII U

Preview of Wii FIT U new game for WII U

Preview of Zombi U new game for WII U

Preview of Assassin Creed 3 new game for WII U

Preview of Legend of Zelda Battle Quest new game for WII U

Preview of Ninja Gaiden 3 new game for WII U

many more games previewed for wii u previewed in The new issue of nintendo official magazine is out today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I dunno whether it's a case of my getting older, or Nintendo lackluster and vague means of promoting it thus far, but I've got so little hype for this console at the moment. Probably a depressing mix of the two.

I think the should also launch alternative colour consoles straight out the gate, definitely black, at least. I couldn't give a fiddler's, but you wouldn't believe a number of guys I knew who wouldn't touch a Wii, solely based on its colour. Boom! Black Wii, and they got to sit down with such man-making titles as Mario Galaxy and Zack & Wiki. I can't even begin to articulate the levels of high-cretinism involved in such decisions, but hey! it's good business.

Farming Simulator 2012 is coming to the Wii U.

So with that Amazon preorder from a few weeks back, we would be getting the Wii U next week I believe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I think the should also launch alternative colour consoles straight out the gate, definitely black, at least. I couldn't give a fiddler's, but you wouldn't believe a number of guys I knew who wouldn't touch a Wii, solely based on its colour.

Just once I'd like the opportunity to own a gold-plated console.

Farming Simulator 2012 is coming to the Wii U.

i dnt know about that game

But
    Animal Crossing: Sweet Day is coming for wii u in 2012 because I saw preview in this issue of Nintendo official magazine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    i dnt know about that game

But
    Animal Crossing: Sweet Day is coming for wii u in 2012 because I saw preview in this issue of Nintendo official magazine

Thats in the Nintendoland game iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yup, it is. Wampy you're about a month behind on this news, it was all shown at E3 last month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Kinski wrote: »
    Just once I'd like the opportunity to own a gold-plated console.

Ask and ye shall and all that:

http://www.goldgenie.com/Games-Consoles-c-20020_20029.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Why would you play Farm Sim 2012 in 2D stuck in your front room? That would be like giving up your android handset for a hand cranked landline with a manual operator on the other end. 3DS version all the way, baby!

Yup, it is. Wampy you're about a month behind on this news, it was all shown at E3 last month!

He always is.
    Given the amount of times he's said his source is from a magazine, I now understand why.
    The internet really has ruined the game magazines for me. :(

Banjo wrote: »
    Why would you play Farm Sim 2012 in 2D stuck in your front room? That would be like giving up your android handset for a hand cranked landline with a manual operator on the other end. 3DS version all the way, baby!
    You're forgetting about the uPad. You can farm (still in 2D) on the toilet, should you have a close bathroom.
    I like to think of a farmer playing it while farming, and thinking about Xzibit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Would the NFC stuff not be used for swapping save games and characters?
    What about bringing the controller outside and playing multiplayer, like that Street Pass thing on 3DS?

OR can NFC only be used for payment?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Would the NFC stuff not be used for swapping save games and characters?
    What about bringing the controller outside and playing multiplayer, like that Street Pass thing on 3DS?

OR can NFC only be used for payment?

NFC can be used for anything wifi can.
    Streetpass wouldn't work unless you rubbed pants off every stranger you meet.
    NFC's range is about an inch.
    There is such a thing as FFC, which uses UHF for way bigger distances, but it's not what Nintendo are using in the uPad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Looking at some of the girls I've gotten streetpasses from, I'd be more than happy to swap to the NFC method you've outlined there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Streetpass wouldn't work unless you rubbed pants off every stranger you meet.

Yeah that'll probably be a japan-only feature. Crazy f#@%ers:D

i m reading the new official nintendo magazine issue number 84 the august issue which came out last wednesday

i ve never seen e 3 show before u dont get them in ireland

gold plated console choice

be greatful getting pick between 2 colours on lunch day , black or white

when the WII lunch for 1st time ever back in December 8, 2006 for europe u only one choice of color white

now the WII now is out in black, white, red, pink and blue

soon there probably red, pink and blue near future for the wii u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

i m reading the new official nintendo magazine issue number 84 the august issue which came out last wednesday

i ve never seen e 3 show before u dont get them in ireland

You do have Internet connectivity though, and there were threads on here and the main Games forum about e3?

• Advertisement

gold plated console choice

be greatful getting pick between 2 colours on lunch day , black or white

when the WII lunch for 1st time ever back in December 8, 2006 for europe u only one choice of color white

now the WII now is out in black, white, red, pink and blue

soon there probably red, pink and blue near future for the wii u

White is the only confirmed colour.
    They said at e3 that black was there just to see reaction to it.

e3 is streamed over the internet nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I highly doubt the manufacturing of the controller is affecting production at all. They wouldn't allow their baby into the hands of incompetent manufacturers and if they had, they at least have top notch security because, at least to my knowledge, there hasn't been a single leak of any of the Wii U tech. Not even a sensor bar or anything.

If these sources are legitimate and they really are having problems, forget it being pushed to december, it'll be pushed into 2013 easily.

Nintendo are not going to have a staggered release for a home console, and certainly not for one as important as Wii U. I expect early to mid-december worldwide, if we get it this year that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Que a suppply problem & insane difficulty with getting one of these at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

girl in hmv told me it will be 500 euro??? WTF???????????????????

I will buy and eat a hat if that's the case:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If its only available frmo December, I can see profiteering getting up to & over that amount. Not from a retailer though

Anyone know how much this will be?? Jesus that girl in hmv cost them a preorder and sale with her 500 euro quote I was like NOOOOOO way lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Anywhere taking pre-orders yet? Dunno where to get mine.
    Got the Wii in Smyths on its launch date, think they were decent enough price wise :P but that's an hour away...
    My local gamestop is much closer but idk how great they'll be + it'd be kinda cool to go back to Smyths for this.

The indépendant store i got my gamecube in, is long gone :( starting to feel old now! :P

Also say i put down a deposit in gamestop, am i able to cancel that say in a month or so + just use the deposit as credit for a game? :) might just put down one in each for now or whenever pre-orders start :pac: (until bundles are announced)

Definitely going for the black version though. Nintendo console launches are ALWAYS exciting :)

Anywhere taking pre-orders yet? Dunno where to get mine.
    Got the Wii in Smyths on its launch date, think they were decent enough price wise :P but that's an hour away...
    My local gamestop is much closer but idk how great they'll be + it'd be kinda cool to go back to Smyths for this.

The indépendant store i got my gamecube in, is long gone :( starting to feel old now! :P

Also say i put down a deposit in gamestop, am i able to cancel that say in a month or so + just use the deposit as credit for a game? :) might just put down one in each for now or whenever pre-orders start :pac: (until bundles are announced)

Definitely going for the black version though. Nintendo console launches are ALWAYS exciting :)

Go over to England and try and get one before that Triforce dude. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

getting more and more excited about the wii u now. already thinking of about 5 games im gonna get on it when they come out: zombiU, assasains creed 3, batman arkham city, pikmin 3 and mario

Helix are we still looking at late October early November for launch??

Every shop has dec 25th nobody has an iota of a notion what launch day is!!!!

Helix are we still looking at late October early November for launch??

Every shop has dec 25th nobody has an iota of a notion what launch day is!!!!

I'd say look to the weekend of Nov 16th for a US release. The reason this is the expected date is because the Wii and Gamecube both released the week before Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

Of course Europe will be a different story. We can't base it on previous releases since we've seen in recent history Nintendo treating Europe better than they have before, in both software(New Super Mario Bros 2, Xenoblade) and hardware (3DS, XL)

Ok just preordered my wii u and got 239 euro off it by trading in the very boring psvita and two games I got for 30 euro :)

WII U MOFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok just preordered my wii u and got 239 euro off it by trading in the very boring psvita and two games I got for 30 euro :)

WII U MOFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where did you pre order ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

It would actually make some sense to preorder now if anyone wants one at launch, what with rumours that there will be an under-supply, possibly even delaying the European release until next year.

Preordered in GameStop!!! If Nintendo do put back European release date they will lose 1 customer here mario bros wii u here I come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

hope it doesnt get pushed back til after christmas. im looking forward to christmas day family packed around a new console (even though i will have hopefully played it loads by then) when all my cousins come to visit

I'm looking forward to telling wife to piss off for complaining bout me using main tv for Xbox etc but what bout coronation street etc I'm gonna say oi woman pass me the wii u tablet put on corners and shut upppppp

I will then play using the tablet YESSSSSS

THANK YOU NINTENDO YOU HAVE SOLVED A BIG PROBLEM FOR ME :)

• Advertisement

Actually is wii u backwards compatible??

Advertisement