Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you always punctual with your typing online?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

‘eg’, ‘etc’ and ‘ie’ should all be preceded with a comma but should contain no other punctuation.
    Id est nefas. :eek: :pac:
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    PAH! I don't believe a word of it.

Next you'll be telling me that using "z" at the end of words instead of an "s" isn't proper either!
    Z'z I can live withz! Also, I can live with random w's such as cwoffee for that New York twang.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I'm not sure if the etc. should have a full stop after it or not. It shouldn't if the sentence ends in a full stop but I am unsure about a question mark.

The correct way to write "etc" is et c, putting the appropriate punctuation afterwards according to its place in the sentence, AFAIK.
    The italics indicate that it's of foreign origin, and it should have a space because it's two words, not one (et cetera).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The correct way to write "etc" is et c, putting the appropriate punctuation afterwards according to its place in the sentence, AFAIK.
    The italics indicate that it's of foreign origin, and it should have a space because it's two words, not one (et cetera).

Not according to the Oxford English Dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Oxford? PAH!

Newb!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I definitely try to be punctual when typing.. it's a different type of punctuation when making posts as opposed to typing letters though

I use a double full stop a lot of the time.. it gives a sense of ease when reading the post imo.. instead of breaking everything up into abrupt sentences, or spitting them up into Shatner-sounding poetry chunks with commas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

http://i.imgur.com/L7uPI.gif
    Somebody has got to lay off... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I'm lucky I put in the "AFAIK" then, amn't I? It shows I'm willing to stand corrected. I'd like to see what the OED says on the subject, though. Can you Copy/Paste it, or post a link, please?

That reminds me: which do people use - "amn't I?" or "aren't I?"
    I grew up using the former, I'm sure it must be what I was taught in school, but more and more people seem to use the latter.

Ain't!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

I have no objection to people using textspeak in texts, it's sensible and saves a bit of money. I still can't do it, mostly because predictive text makes it a pain. On the internet though there's really no excuse for textspeak, it's irritating to the extreme and totally unnecessary.

I guess there's a certain amount of grammar nazi in me, decent grammar and spelling make posts much easier to read, but I wouldn't go around constantly correcting people's grammar on the internet, just as I wouldn't correct people in the middle of a conversation. It's rude and pretty annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I'm punctual most of the time, but if someone calls over for tea I can't guarantee I'll reply within a certain period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

i intentionally type with out grammar to piss off people who actually care about grammar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

CorkMan wrote:
    Do you always make sure you have capital letters for the start of sentences, commas to break up sentences and full stops to end, etc
    Ya usually i do...... (Dont like to look sloppy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

My punctuation is occasionally tardy :o

Call me what you will but dont call me late for online typing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I've gone through the OPs post very carefully a few times now, and can't find any errors to point and laugh at. Damn !

If it makes you feel any better a spell checker might have flagged the word alright in the op as incorrect. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I can't help but read text speak of that voiced by a dopey person.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

tl/dr

Am I too late into this thread?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Alright is only used because people are retarded and thought it was a word.
    It's "alot" I hate :mad:

That reminds me: which do people use - "amn't I?" or "aren't I?"
    I grew up using the former, I'm sure it must be what I was taught in school, but more and more people seem to use the latter.

I'm pretty sure neither is really correct, but I use "amn't" when speaking. I think I would write "am I not" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, I check my posts before submitting. Doesn't work all the time but at least a lot of the time.

If someone has bad spelling I often give them the benefit of a doubt, some people are dyslexic and most just never learned writing properly.
    And then there are text speakers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

stovelid wrote: »
    I always make the effort but I don't really mind what others do as long as I can understand them and they're not wilfully taking the piss, like text-speak for example.

I do think it's a little remiss of people that can do so not to make the effort, but if somebody just has poor spelling or writing skills, I'm not bothered at all and judge their posts on their worth - unless I'm trying to a Muphry's Law job on them or something.

*Cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sheeps wrote: »
    i intentionally type with out grammar to piss off people who actually care about grammar

What's "out grammar" ?

And is there an opposing "in grammar" ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

‘eg’, ‘etc’ and ‘ie’ should all be preceded with a comma but should contain no other punctuation.

Huh ?

Surely it's "e.g." & "i.e."

No ?

Hmmmm......just checked and the full-stops are more common in American English than British/European English.

There's an interesting one, considering my hatred of the American "z" fetish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

nope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Damn, I always thought that 'etc' had a full stop at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

esel wrote: »
    tl/dr

Am I too late into this thread?
    Yes. Next time, try to be a bit more punctual.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I always make the effort and a one sentence reply with capital letter , typing , grammer or comma error can be quickly corrected and edited same as in longer posts. Sometimes I'll put .... at the end of a sentence but it's just a little quirk, we all have them and something I'm aware of .

Some dont paragraph and can be incoherent in their long posts but dyslexia might be the reason . Using slang or mixing up words ie, 'Jooo ' in stead of ' You ' in jest is just poster in a light hearted funny mood and not an indication of bad grammer but there will always be some who 'dont get it ' .

Advertisement