Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you always punctual with your typing online?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

loobylou wrote: »
    Must look harder.

etc. ?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭conno3001

You still didn't spot the other mistake. :p

See! This is what I'm talking about... for all you know I did it on purpose.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If I'm making fairly offhand replies then I may not bother with capitals and full stops. Otherwise I probably do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

For a couple of years, in the mid-90s, I wrote PC reviews for publication in magazines. (Remember the hype when the Intel Pentium hit 100MHz? I'm old ... :o ) The more you write, the more you learn by doing it, and the easier it is to write decently. I've written all kinds of things since then, so I just can't turn it off any more.

My advice: if you want to become a better writer, read. Read a lot. Read the Classics, like Dickens, or well-regarded modern writers such as Terry Pratchett.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I've gone through the OPs post very carefully a few times now, and can't find any errors to point and laugh at. Damn !

You should've spent a little less time going through the post itself, and a little more time going through the thread title!

I don't understand why a person wouldn't attempt to type legibly. I mean, why does a person post at all? Because they have an opinion that they'd like to share with others. If you want those people to read your opinion, then you owe it to them to put your opinion in an easily legible and understandable form.

That said, I don't mind the occasional accidental typo lkie tehse onse. Everyone can hit a wrong key now and again. Also I don't mind when people use the usual well recognised abbreviations like 'IMHO' or 'IIRC'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

CorkMan wrote: »
    Do you always make sure you have capital letters for the start of sentences, commas to break up sentences and full stops to end, etc?

It's a habit that I do it, but most people are alright, but then there are people who are atrocious.

I'm like this - even with texts. I don't really proof-read my messages, sometimes I do. But if I notice an error I HAVE to correct it.

Sometimes I'll just say to myself, it's fine, I'll just leave it, but I never EVER can. And sometimes I don't even move the mouse - I'll just delete everything until I get back to the error. Even if it's a line of text. I think its a bit OCDish or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i dont even be punctual in real life nevermind online

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Punctual?

:D
    One and a half pages of "oh yeah i mind my ps and qs... blah, blah" and not one poster (apart from your good self) picks up on the misuse of the word punctual.
    I lolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm usually fairly punctual with my replies but not always as punctual in real life. Time management is the bain of my life sometimes! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yes, always. The same when I'm texting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

One and a half pages of "oh yeah i mind my ps and qs... blah, blah" and not one poster (apart from your good self) picks up on the misuse of the word punctual.
    I lolled.

Other than post #5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm fairly precise when I type (online or offline) - more out of habit than anything else (like Abigayle, much of that comes from jobs)... but I'm way more lax about punctuation when I text, and I use the odd textspeak abbreviation.

Very extreme textspeak, and long passages with absolutely zero full stops/commas/dashes to indicate pauses, are unpleasant to read, but other than that, I don't care what way something is written as long as I understand what the person is saying and it's not really difficult to follow.

It's really horrible all right when people put down those who are dyslexic here - and not everyone was able to get enough of an education to develop a strong grasp of punctuation/spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm fairly precise when I type (online or offline) - more out of habit than anything else (like Abigayle, much of that comes from jobs)... but I'm way more lax about punctuation when I text, and I use the odd textspeak abbreviation.

Very extreme textspeak, and long passages with absolutely zero full stops/commas/dashes to indicate pauses, are unpleasant to read, but other than that, I don't care what way something is written as long as I understand what the person is saying and it's not really difficult to follow.

With texts, it's understandable as you are saving money. But i always shorten the words so they are still readable to whoever i am sending to.

Would = Wud. Someone = Sum1 etc.

But if someone starts sending me text messages taking the piss with the txtspk, i just won't reply. Or they'll get a reply telling them how much i want to punch them! I hate the fact that txtspk is just for the sake of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't use textspeak with saving money in mind, moreso saving space if a text gets longwinded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I dunno about punctuation but I do try and as for spellings I get every single one right because Google chrome puts a red line under a word if it's spelled wrong and I have some form of OCD that makes me want to break the laptop when I see the red line to indicate bad spelling.

but I'd still try my best so I won't be regarded as a 12 year old teenage girl taking about Justin Bieber or something along them lines

i'd batter ny1 hu tlks lk dis wen dey av a qwerty in frnt of dem.... like it's ridiculous and I really don't like people who text like that either seeing as there's such a thing as predictive text these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

In an informal context I don't care if I make mistakes, but I try not to. If I am writing something which I consider to be important I will make sure it's right.

My problem is that I completely leave words out, even when I've proof read the document. It's the weirdest thing, and I seem to have basically no control over it. I once left a word out of the title of a college paper, big bold letters on the cover with an obvious word missing and I didn't notice it until I got it back with the word written in red above. Any else do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I've gone through the OPs post very carefully a few times now, and can't find any errors to point and laugh at. Damn !

Really ?

Did you check the thread title as well ?

What time did you post at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

CorkMan wrote: »
    Do you always make sure you have capital letters for the start of sentences, commas to break up sentences and full stops to end, etc?

It's a habit that I do it, but most people are alright, but then there are people who are atrocious.

maybe i do, maybe i don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

My punctuation is occasionally tardy :o

ooh i see what you did there. *golf clap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

all right > alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

--LOS-- wrote: »
    all right > alright

all right - The answers are all right.

alright - ok. I'm alright.

If you're referring to Corkman's post - the 'alright' that he used is correct.

They're both correct, 'all right' considered better, I was getting twitchy with nowhere to point.

edit: they don't have different meanings, alright is just a lazy all right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Alright is only used because people are retarded and thought it was a word.

I'm not sure if the etc. should have a full stop after it or not. It shouldn't if the sentence ends in a full stop but I am unsure about a question mark.

Alright is only used because people are retarded and thought it was a word.

I'm not sure if the etc. should have a full stop after it or not. It shouldn't if the sentence ends in a full stop but I am unsure about a question mark.

Did you just call Supergrass retarded?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So sue me. Please don't Supergrass.

Many bad bands use that word as a name for a song and sometimes they even go a bit mad and throw in an exclamation mark after it... I blame the music industry for this.

I blame the youds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I lolled.

I guess you missed posts #5, #9, #29, #31 and #36, then, did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

‘eg’, ‘etc’ and ‘ie’ should all be preceded with a comma but should contain no other punctuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I punctuate correctly, always, everywhere. It's not about being anal, it's about doing things right, for ****'s sake!

• Advertisement

So sue me. Please don't Supergrass.

Many bad bands use that word as a name for a song and sometimes they even go a bit mad and throw in an exclamation mark after it... I blame the music industry for this.

PAH! I don't believe a word of it.

Next you'll be telling me that using "z" at the end of words instead of an "s" isn't proper either!

Advertisement