Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Its a pet hate of mine too, in my experience its usually some goon on BSO who will take off like he is Mark Cavendish on the Champ Elysee, blow up within 30 meters and then revert to pedaling at a crawl meaning everyone has to pass him out again. Sometimes it is the slightly older type in a suit and tie who is more important that the rest of us because we aren't him.

I have taken to occasionally calling out to both types "excuse me, its rude to skip the queue." or "excuse me, we are all waiting for the lights." if you do it right everyone hears and shoaler gets a kind of mortified look on their face which I am ashamed to admit, makes me feel as if I have done my good deed for the day. A lot of people just give a stonewall reaction and on more than a few occasions I have been told to "fcuk off" but luckily that doesn't bother me very much, I've made my point at that stage and everyone else knows it.

Hopefully followed up by you saying "zooooooooom" as you pass them... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

First week of commuting in to dublin city centre...wow! Shoalers, RLJers, Fred's, wheel hogging...awesome stuff. It's the return journey that's worse, people must be running low on carbs or oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Some days you can’t swing a mouse without hitting a lorry load of arseholes. Some days you find that you are one of them. Yesterday was one of those days for me.

The day started out well enough. I managed to prise myself bleary-eyed out of bed in time, I even managed to get out the door in time, so I didn’t have to turn myself inside out to get to our group meeting point in time. And despite the strong wind I was even feeling okay on the bike, initially. Fast forward an hour or so and I was feeling surprisingly tired. So when the group split a bit I found myself a bit far back. I decided to put in an effort to get up to the small group in front.

As I came up to another rider who seemed to have the same idea, he drifted right a bit. I was coming up outside him so I drifted right too, as far as the middle of the road. I don’t recall if there was a line down the centre of the road but it was clear enough where the middle was regardless. I saw him reach up a hand to his face, and reckoning that he was going to let loose a snot rocket I held back a little. Plenty of space for the most explosive of expulsions to fall safely on the road between us, I seem to recall thinking. For the briefest of moments.

It took a second for my brain to register that what filled the air ahead of me was not snot. I’m not an authority on snot admittedly, but I’ve seen enough of it during my times on the bike that I know it doesn’t typically consist of a hefty volume of liquid. With chunky bits. Not good.

A voice engaged in my brain. The same voice that is fairly familiar with conveying information about potholes and other obstacles that I need to be aware of. This time it was being presented with something very unfamiliar in such circumstances. It struggled to find an appropriate word, it plucked one from the long distant obscurity of my Cork childhood. It came booming into my consciousness. “GAAAWWWWWKKKKK!”. Oh. Fcuk!

I did what little I could. I stopped pedalling and veered right. I mentally transported myself to my happy place as I felt both liquid and a hailstone-like patter against my shins. I tried not to think about my bike and bottles being coated as well.

As a parent you become uncomfortably familiar with all sorts of emanations from the human body. You tell yourself that you are now well prepared for anything that life can throw (literally!) at you, that nothing will ever shock or disgust you again. It turns out that nothing has really prepared me for a shower of vomit. Especially someone else’s vomit. I wasn’t even on first name terms with the vomit’s owner. Not that that would have helped of course, but in the moment I needed a distraction from the reality of the situation so any random thoughts were worth dwelling upon.

Turns out I was distracting myself too much, It turns out that my inner voice that was reeling at the fact that I was coated in gawk (GAWWWWK!) was the same one that should have been screaming at me that I was now well and truly on the wrong side of the road and that there was a significant and blind bend ahead. This realisation broke through at the very same time as I saw the 4-wheel drive come round the bend towards me. Ffffffcccukkkkkk!

I threw my bike to my left, the motorist flung their SUV to their left, driving up the ditch in the process. I stuck my hand in the air in apology, but honestly, I was a complete fukkin eejit, I was entirely at fault. I probably convinced yet another motorist that all cyclists are irresponsible arseholes. My guilty conscience temporarily drowned out the relatively minor horror of only moments before, which was something at least.

The rest of the ride was fairly uneventful by comparison, the bar had been set pretty high mind you. Every time I felt thirsty, the distressing thought of gawk-coated bottle top jumped to mind, I opted to ignore the thirst until I couldn’t any longer and although I rinsed both bottles thoroughly the first chance I got, I still couldn’t bring myself to bring my mouth in contact with either bottle. Ick.

Anyway, I was an arsehole and I can’t take it back. Hopefully I will never make that same stupid mistake again. Hopefully no-one will throw up on me again either. Not far from home though someone decided to compete for my well-earned title of Arsehole of the Day. I was approaching a T-junction, the road sloped down to the junction so I was lightly on the brakes.

I glanced over my shoulder to see a Rangerover about 30m back. No time for him to overtake me, we’d both be stopping soon enough. Bu apparently the driver lived by a different set of laws of physics to me. He went for the overtake.

He didn’t have time or road enough to complete it. So he just stuck on his left indicator as he came to a complete stop at the junction, without having completely cleared my front wheel, his jalopy at an angle right in front of/beside me. I turned very gallic, I threw a hand in the air in a “QuoiDaFuq?” motion. He motioned in a fairly agitated way to his left. So I rolled up to his passenger window as it lowered.

There was a very young boy sitting in the passenger seat, a slightly older kid in the back. Didn’t stop the driver from yelling aggressively at me, across the smaller boy, that “IF YOU’D PUT YOUR HAND OUT I’D HAVE KNOWN WHERE YOU WERE GOING!”. Presumably he meant my right hand. I hadn’t stuck out my left hand either but clearly he felt perfectly entitled to assume that I was actually planning to turn left. The same direction as him. Which would have been highly convenient for him but that convenience was entirely coincidental of course…

There was also the little matter of there not being enough road to overtake regardless of which way I was going. I pointed that out to him. He just yelled louder and cranked up the aggression level. I really really wanted to inform him how much of a self-righteous pr1ck he was very effectively representing himself as, but I was more conscious of the presence of kids than he was so I settled for calling him an idiot instead. Which didn’t really feel very satisfactory.

He is clearly a lost cause. He probably sees everything smaller than him on the roads as an obstacle as opposed to something he has to share the roads safely with. And when you drive a Rangerover there are many things on the road that are smaller than you, cyclists don’t even enter the equation I reckon. I pity his kids though, with that kind of example being set to them, screamed in their faces even, there is little chance that they’ll grow up to be good and considerate drivers.

So I wasn’t the only arsehole on the roads yesterday. Which makes me feel no better at all, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

doozerie wrote: »
    tldr: a stranger puked on me. It was so bad I almost killed myself
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Lumen wrote: »
    :pac: Rainbow yawn!

• Advertisement

:pac: Rainbow yawn!

I've been trying my best to expel the details of the imagery from my head, but with limited success. Just when I think I've succeeded, a picture of Coco Pops flashes before my eyes. And I instantly feel queasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Some days you can’t swing a mouse without hitting a lorry load of arseholes. Some days you find that you are one of them. Yesterday was one of those days for me.

The day started out well enough. I managed to prise myself bleary-eyed out of bed in time, I even managed to get out the door in time, so I didn’t have to turn myself inside out to get to our group meeting point in time. And despite the strong wind I was even feeling okay on the bike, initially. Fast forward an hour or so and I was feeling surprisingly tired. So when the group split a bit I found myself a bit far back. I decided to put in an effort to get up to the small group in front.

As I came up to another rider who seemed to have the same idea, he drifted right a bit. I was coming up outside him so I drifted right too, as far as the middle of the road. I don’t recall if there was a line down the centre of the road but it was clear enough where the middle was regardless. I saw him reach up a hand to his face, and reckoning that he was going to let loose a snot rocket I held back a little. Plenty of space for the most explosive of expulsions to fall safely on the road between us, I seem to recall thinking. For the briefest of moments.

It took a second for my brain to register that what filled the air ahead of me was not snot. I’m not an authority on snot admittedly, but I’ve seen enough of it during my times on the bike that I know it doesn’t typically consist of a hefty volume of liquid. With chunky bits. Not good.

A voice engaged in my brain. The same voice that is fairly familiar with conveying information about potholes and other obstacles that I need to be aware of. This time it was being presented with something very unfamiliar in such circumstances. It struggled to find an appropriate word, it plucked one from the long distant obscurity of my Cork childhood. It came booming into my consciousness. “GAAAWWWWWKKKKK!”. Oh. Fcuk!

I did what little I could. I stopped pedalling and veered right. I mentally transported myself to my happy place as I felt both liquid and a hailstone-like patter against my shins. I tried not to think about my bike and bottles being coated as well.

As a parent you become uncomfortably familiar with all sorts of emanations from the human body. You tell yourself that you are now well prepared for anything that life can throw (literally!) at you, that nothing will ever shock or disgust you again. It turns out that nothing has really prepared me for a shower of vomit. Especially someone else’s vomit. I wasn’t even on first name terms with the vomit’s owner. Not that that would have helped of course, but in the moment I needed a distraction from the reality of the situation so any random thoughts were worth dwelling upon.

Turns out I was distracting myself too much, It turns out that my inner voice that was reeling at the fact that I was coated in gawk (GAWWWWK!) was the same one that should have been screaming at me that I was now well and truly on the wrong side of the road and that there was a significant and blind bend ahead. This realisation broke through at the very same time as I saw the 4-wheel drive come round the bend towards me. Ffffffcccukkkkkk!

I threw my bike to my left, the motorist flung their SUV to their left, driving up the ditch in the process. I stuck my hand in the air in apology, but honestly, I was a complete fukkin eejit, I was entirely at fault. I probably convinced yet another motorist that all cyclists are irresponsible arseholes. My guilty conscience temporarily drowned out the relatively minor horror of only moments before, which was something at least.

The rest of the ride was fairly uneventful by comparison, the bar had been set pretty high mind you. Every time I felt thirsty, the distressing thought of gawk-coated bottle top jumped to mind, I opted to ignore the thirst until I couldn’t any longer and although I rinsed both bottles thoroughly the first chance I got, I still couldn’t bring myself to bring my mouth in contact with either bottle. Ick.

Anyway, I was an arsehole and I can’t take it back. Hopefully I will never make that same stupid mistake again. Hopefully no-one will throw up on me again either. Not far from home though someone decided to compete for my well-earned title of Arsehole of the Day. I was approaching a T-junction, the road sloped down to the junction so I was lightly on the brakes.

I glanced over my shoulder to see a Rangerover about 30m back. No time for him to overtake me, we’d both be stopping soon enough. Bu apparently the driver lived by a different set of laws of physics to me. He went for the overtake.

He didn’t have time or road enough to complete it. So he just stuck on his left indicator as he came to a complete stop at the junction, without having completely cleared my front wheel, his jalopy at an angle right in front of/beside me. I turned very gallic, I threw a hand in the air in a “QuoiDaFuq?” motion. He motioned in a fairly agitated way to his left. So I rolled up to his passenger window as it lowered.

There was a very young boy sitting in the passenger seat, a slightly older kid in the back. Didn’t stop the driver from yelling aggressively at me, across the smaller boy, that “IF YOU’D PUT YOUR HAND OUT I’D HAVE KNOWN WHERE YOU WERE GOING!”. Presumably he meant my right hand. I hadn’t stuck out my left hand either but clearly he felt perfectly entitled to assume that I was actually planning to turn left. The same direction as him. Which would have been highly convenient for him but that convenience was entirely coincidental of course…

There was also the little matter of there not being enough road to overtake regardless of which way I was going. I pointed that out to him. He just yelled louder and cranked up the aggression level. I really really wanted to inform him how much of a self-righteous pr1ck he was very effectively representing himself as, but I was more conscious of the presence of kids than he was so I settled for calling him an idiot instead. Which didn’t really feel very satisfactory.

He is clearly a lost cause. He probably sees everything smaller than him on the roads as an obstacle as opposed to something he has to share the roads safely with. And when you drive a Rangerover there are many things on the road that are smaller than you, cyclists don’t even enter the equation I reckon. I pity his kids though, with that kind of example being set to them, screamed in their faces even, there is little chance that they’ll grow up to be good and considerate drivers.

So I wasn’t the only arsehole on the roads yesterday. Which makes me feel no better at all, and rightly so.
    the Puker should have turned his head to the left on the off chance that there was a would be Pukee was on his right hammer, thats just bad puking & against rule 35/16.4 of the rules of puking, never mind your shoes, shins & bottles!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I have a second pet hate when it comes to using the roads of our fair land. I cannot stand it when a member of the building fraternity decides to stop traffic on the basis of the authority vested in him by the HiViz... well, vest, he is wearing. Builders are not the Police and reversing a truck out of a laneway is not an emergency so they have no right to stand in the middle of the road with their palm out, directing traffic.

I try not to be díck about most things so usually when this happens I just let it slide and grumble something along the lines of "what a facking liberty" under my breath. However, this morning I was not so sanguine.

I was running late and pedaling up hill when a bandit in Dayglo stepped out in front of me, he raised his palm towards me and immediately began signalling to his colleague to drive a piece of machinery out of a lane way and across the road. "fúck this" I thought "I have the right of way and he has no authority to stop me." I shook my head at the Yellow clad villain and pedaled harder, he signaled again for me to stop, he was wearing HiViz and Hard Hat afterall! I shook my head again and shouted "Its not happening, I'm not stopping." and moved to the right hand side of the road to give the machinery a wide berth.

He signaled to the driver to stop and another worker shouted a warning, the machine stopped and I zipped past. As I did I realised that it was in fact a forklift, with the forks down so that my margin of clearance was actually about 4 feet smaller than I thought it was. I spent the rest of my journey ruminating on the truism that whilst it is great to be correct about the rules of the road it is not great to be seriously injured as a result.

I Think it was the fact that the Builder blocking the road didn't wait to check that I was actually going to stop before waving the forklift out is part of what pi$$ed me off and made me behave like a bit of an idiot. the other thought I had about it is that if builders are going to off-load a truck full of bricks they should do it in a safe manner, not by doing shuttle runs across a busy road with a single lad trying to keep an eye on things. In the end it wasn't even a close call really as there was about 10 feet between the forklift and me but I'll be taking it handy for a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I Think it was the fact that the Builder blocking the road didn't wait to check that I was actually going to stop before waving the forklift out is part of what pi$$ed me off and made me behave like a bit of an idiot. the other thought I had about it is that if builders are going to off-load a truck full of bricks they should do it in a safe manner, not by doing shuttle runs across a busy road with a single lad trying to keep an eye on things. In the end it wasn't even a close call really as there was about 10 feet between the forklift and me but I'll be taking it handy for a while.

Ah here, whilst It's annoying to be held up, a bit of consideration/empathy needed here no? He had a job to do, some sites don't have parking for a lorry and forklift to offload so use the road. He was out and warned you. What's a 30sec delay? It's annoying to be held up yes but I mean it's nothing to get worked up about surely? As cyclists we rely on the consideration of other road users all the time, I think some can be shown to the people in this situation too.

BTW hi-viz and hard hats are mandatory on sites, I don't know why you're referring to it so much in your post? It's not worn to convey some sort of imagined traffic stopping authority, it's mandatory work wear!

gadetra wrote: »
    Ah here, whilst It's annoying to be held up, a bit of consideration/empathy needed here no? He had a job to do, some sites don't have parking for a lorry and forklift to offload so use the road. He was out and warned you. What's a 30sec delay? It's annoying to be held up yes but I mean it's nothing to get worked up about surely? As cyclists we rely on the consideration of other road users all the time, I think some can be shown to the people in this situation too.

BTW hi-viz and hard hats are mandatory on sites, I don't know why you're referring to it so much in your post? It's not worn to convey some sort of imagined traffic stopping authority, it's mandatory work wear!

I wasn't worked up really, what I meant was that the way they were working wasn't particularly safe for anyone nor was it considerate of road users and for those reasons they shouldn't have been doing the work in the manner they were. I did act like a bit of an as$hat but I didn't like the way they essentially marched out into the road and told me to stop.

The reason I mention the HiViz and Hard hats is that so often people who wear them behave as if they do give them traffic stopping authority and he kind of acted that way. As I said I usually just leave it go but today I was miffed, I got the feeling that if I was a motorist he would have waited till I passed but because I was cyclist he felt entitled to stop me.

• Advertisement

I did act like a bit of an as$hat but I didn't like the way they essentially marched out into the road and told me to stop.

That's the spirit in which I read your post and I sympathised. Far too often I've found myself making casual assessment, and sometimes decisions, on the bike which on reflection were selfish and/or stupid.

From the occasional simple (and ignorant) internal annoyance that someone ahead of me should be cycling slower than me and therefore holding me up, to the thankfully rare (and very ignorant and dangerous) assumption that the road user turning off my path ahead will be out of my way before I get there so I've no need to slow down. It's entirely egotistical, and dangerous, it represents the worst of the attitude/behaviour that shocks me when I encounter it in other road users.

It's also an easy mindset to fall into though, the only way I can stop myself from routinely falling into it is to mentally slap myself when I catch myself behaving in that way. As you described in your scenario, I could easily see myself getting miffed that someone stepped onto the road and simply expected me to stop, and I might well have kept on riding too. And I'd have questioned my own behaviour afterwards too, some of the choices of which I'm least proud have been the ones I've learned the most from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Jebus H lads, life's hard enough without getting up about something like that. I hope that you never have cause to ask someone to stop to let you onto a road, whether you be in a car or on a bike or waiting to cross. Have you any distinguishing features, other than your quick-to-irkness that we should look out for so as to both not inconvenience you nor to lend you the courtesy if you were in a similar situation, albeit without safety equipment on your person?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Jebus H lads, life's hard enough without getting up about something like that. I hope that you never have cause to ask someone to stop to let you onto a road, whether you be in a car or on a bike or waiting to cross. Have you any distinguishing features, other than your quick-to-irkness that we should look out for so as to both not inconvenience you nor to lend you the courtesy if you were in a similar situation, albeit without safety equipment on your person?

Hmm, an irked post about a perceived quick-to-irkness on the part of others, maybe we have the makings of a support group amongst. *group hug* :pac:

Seriously though, have you never made a spur of the moment assessment or decision (on the road or otherwise) that you realised later was a bit irrational, or downright offensive even? I imagine we all do. We all make mistakes basically, not because we are fundamentally arseholes or just grumps but simply because we are not perfect. How we deal with the consequences determines whether we fall into the arsehole category - if we learn from our mistakes then that probably makes us "better" people, if we knowingly deny making mistakes or knowingly repeat them then that makes us arseholes (depending on the nature of the mistakes, of course, I'm thinking largely of road behaviour here where there are often potentially serious consequences involved).

I readily admit that I make mistakes while on the bike. I've approached traffic lights just as they change red and I convince myself that I have time to get through, as if they go through several shades before they are "properly" red, or something. I've seen gaps in traffic which are likely to shrink before I have time to get through but I convince myself that I really really have time to get through. I see a pedestrian ahead who is likely to step off the footpath in front of me and I convince myself that I'll be clear of them before they do it so I don't slow down.

The number of times I actually do those things is extremely small, and they've decreased dramatically as I've aged. The temptation hasn't gone away though, I've just gotten better at assessing risk, and assessing the potential consequences of my decisions on others, and more than 99 times out of 100 these days I'll take the safer and more considerate option.

So yeah, I still get irked by encountering the umpteenth red traffic light when I'm running late, I still get irked by being delayed because a car decides to drive clung to the curb in slow moving traffic and thereby eliminating any chance for cyclists to filter safely past. I'm a flawed human being. But I don't let that motivate me to make stupid choices generally so my being irked doesn't usually impact on those around me.

Being the imperfect human that I am though I'm still prone to making mistakes and making a stupid decision/choice, but I'm better at recognising that now - when I was much younger I found I was able to justify all manner of stupid choices to myself, these days I recognise that selfish attitude for what it really is and when I do make a stupid choice I try to learn from it and not repeat it. I'd suggest that anyone that believes that they don't make mistakes are the kind of road user that no-one wants to be near. Getting irked by circumstances is not the problem, using that annoyance to justify stupid or dangerous antics is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liam Maguire

Lads, this thread has broken the internet. And not in a good way.

I don't entirely understand the reaction to Uno my Uno's post. Basically, they described a scenario where he/she got miffed by a set of circumstances and made what turned out to be, and what they themselves acknowledge was, a bad choice by riding on (they even described their own actions as behaving "like a bit of an idiot").

Personally I didn't read it as a rant against builders or other road users so much as an admission of having made a mistake. We all make mistakes, the roads would be safer if more of us were willing to acknowledge them when we do make them, so for me their post was ultimately positive.

I don't entirely understand the reaction to Uno my Uno's post. Basically, they described a scenario where he/she got miffed by a set of circumstances and made what turned out to be, and what they themselves acknowledge was, a bad choice by riding on (they even described their own actions as behaving "like a bit of an idiot").

Personally I didn't read it as a rant against builders or other road users so much as an admission of having made a mistake. We all make mistakes, the roads would be safer if more of us were willing to acknowledge them when we do make them, so for me their post was ultimately positive.

Thank you Good sir, that was exactly the message my post was trying to convey.

It' statements like these from the OP:
    I have a second pet hate when it comes to using the roads of our fair land. I cannot stand it when a member of the building fraternity decides to stop traffic on the basis of the authority vested in him by the HiViz... well, vest, he is wearing. Builders are not the Police and reversing a truck out of a laneway is not an emergency so they have no right to stand in the middle of the road with their palm out, directing traffic.

It's quite derogatory way to refer to an entire profession, also that almost very one in a high-viz vests think they have traffic moving authority, and that they buzz of such an authority, when in fact that is mandatory work wear for a number of professions, and I know for a fact they don't think it gifts them some sort of weird traffic directing discriminatory authority.

A lack of understanding and consideration for again a whole job. If they could have pulled in somewhere to off load they would. No builder, not one I know, would opt for crossing a road to offload if they didn't have to. They are not stupid. Sites can be awkward, sometimes there isn't room for lorry parking, especially in a built up area. There is an assumption from the OP that the builder shouldn't have been there off loading bricks, when in fact he doesn't know why they were there, what conditions led to that situation. A lack of consideration and understanding in other words.

Personally, the idea that someone gets pissed off at an entire profession, doing their job when out on their hobby is objectionable in my view. Basically he was pissed off someone doing their job held up his hobby. Your hobby is secondary to someone's work IMO, but that's a personal onion of mine.

@gadetra, Only Uni my Uno can really say what their views on the building trade are but I didn't read the same generalised animosity into his posts as you seem to have. The impression I'm left with is that the guy trying to stop traffic wasn't entirely empathetic towards a cyclist cycling up a hill towards him, while Uno my Uno wasn't entirely empathetic towards the builders. Two wrongs, basically.

For what it's worth, I have a lot of respect for builders generally and tradesmen in particular. But as with any group of people, there are muppets in the building fraternity. The guy in this instance sounds like we was over eager in blindly expecting traffic to stop so criticism of him might well be warranted and I don't interpret that as criticism of the entire trade, in the same way as someone marshalling a bike race can't *expect* traffic to stop for them either and valid criticism of an individual marshal isn't necessarily criticism of the sport of cycling.

@gadetra, Only Uni my Uno can really say what their views on the building trade are but I didn't read the same generalised animosity into his posts as you seem to have. The impression I'm left with is that the guy trying to stop traffic wasn't entirely empathetic towards a cyclist cycling up a hill towards him, while Uno my Uno wasn't entirely empathetic towards the builders. Two wrongs, basically.

It ultimately comes down to how different people read things. I think the poster made some very unfair and contentious statements about a profession:
    The reason I mention the HiViz and Hard hats is that so often people who wear them behave as if they do give them traffic stopping authority and he kind of acted that way

Statements like this for example. It generalizes people who have to wear these items for work unfairly in my opinion, in a very inconsiderate way, lacking empathy big time. I never said all hard hat and high-viz wearing people behave perfectly all the time, like all professions/sections/groups of people there are some who are dicks and some who aren't. Uno my Uno's post lacked consideration big time, and emphatically stated that the professionals doing the job shouldn't have been doing it the way they were, making this judgement without considering the complications of the situation, the site, how tight it is etc.

I feel a profession was unfairly categorized, I still believe that. It's not life or death. You may not agree, or understand my reading of events, but that's opinions for ya!

God explaining my reaction to a reaction. The internet has looped!

Some "interesting' experiences recently, like the guy cycling on the footpath who looked at me before riding onto the road right in front of me leaving me having to hit the brakes hard. He then rode straight across the rode and onto the footpath on the other side, presumably trying to keep off the "dangerous roads" because people do unpredictable things on them, or something.

Then there was the cyclist who tried to overtake me as I was slowing down, by squeezing between me and the car to my right which was clearly and hastily drifting into the cycle lane (the cause of my slowing down but apparently the narrowing gap to my right completely escaped the attention of the cyclist). Though the rider struggled to find common sense, thankfully for him he found his brakes pretty sharpish. The car driver, looking down at the mobile in her hand, was completely oblivious, I'm guessing she was doing a Google search along the lines of "Car moving, now how do I steer this thing?"

But this post is going to focus on the more common scourge of my life, the person that seems determined to make even the simplest daily tasks an insurmountable challenge. Me. ...oh, and Spotify. And Ed Sheeran.

It was a regular enough evening, except for the fact that I had to collect my daughter from a weekly kids thing she attends. Simple. Ha! I drove to her school, collected her and brought her home without incident. Even her bedtime routine was relatively quick. It all left me feeling vaguely capable, almost awesome even.

I was planning a turbo session that evening so I got everything ready and dashed upstairs to put on my kit. It was looking like I might get the session done and be in bed before midnight, which is unheard of. I skipped back down the stairs in my kit, exuding awesome with every step. I took the turn at the end of the stairs at a speed which was unfamiliar, normally I have to slow down there to skirt past my daughter's bike. The bike that wasn't there. Ah. ****e! Awesome dad had neglected to collect his daughter's bike from the school as well as his daughter. Again.

I spent a few minutes avoiding the obvious fact that I needed to go get the bike, I came up with some creative and utterly infeasible alternative means of her getting to school the next morning. So I threw a pair of tracksuit legs and a fleece over my kit, suddenly feeling very "local" and headed off. As I sat into the car I fancied that I actually heard the squelch as well as felt it. Chamois cream is perfectly normal. On a bike. Chamois cream while sitting in a car just amplifies the feeling that you are wearing a big nappy. It's just wrong. My awesomeness dented, I drove to the school.

The school gates were locked. Bah! I ignored the inner voice that reminded me that the school probably has security cameras and I climbed over the gate. Hauling myself up and over the gate was quite easy, my regular upper body exercises have being paying dividends. I redeemed some awesomeness points right there. I jumped down the other side. My regular lower body exercises haven't been nearly as good apparently as I landed like a sack of spuds, jarring my knee in the process. All pretence at awesomeness was well and truly gone at this stage. I headed towards the school bike park, limping slightly, and musing over the prospect of being caught trespassing by a garda. Me in (squelchy) lycra shorts and a tight-fitting sleeveless base layer, creeping round the grounds of a primary school, it's not a happy combination of circumstances.

Bike retrieved I was back over the gate, less gingerly this time, and into the car in record time and fled the scene. Back at home I got the last bits ready for my now delayed turbo session. For a change this time I was going to use Spotify to provide the music to distract myself during the turbo session so I plugged my earphones into my tablet. I reached across the bike to put something on the table, the earphone cable snagged on the bike saddle and pulled one earplug out. Gah. I reached down to pick it up, the cable snagged on something else and pulled the tablet to the edge of the table and I only just managed to grab it before it hit the ground. Why is life so hard.

I climbed onto the bike. Realised I'd forgotten to turn on the electric fan. Back off the bike, earphones out, walked over and turned on the fan, earphones back in, climbed on the bike, snagged the cable again, earphones fell out. *sob*.

I had my laptop positioned on a step stool in front of the bike, I had TrainerRoad running on it for the session. During one of the intervals one of my cats hopped onto the lower step of the stool. He often does that, it's not a problem as the laptop is on the step above and he never climbs up there. He climbed up there. He stepped onto the laptop. It was a tough interval, my lungs were under pressure but somehow I managed to let out a "gerroffoutofityerbastard!" with enough volume and vehemence that the cat took fright and launched himself off the laptop. The cat went one way, the laptop slid the other, the tiled floor below prepared itself.

By sheer luck the laptop's slide was stopped by one of the uprights. I breathed (with difficulty) a sigh of relief. Then I realised that I could no longer see the screen properly. Nnnngggghhhhhh! I was now in the recovery interval so I tried to reach the laptop while remaining on the bike. A litte further. And a little more. Just a tiny bit more. By now my pelvis was almost resting on my handlebars and I still couldn't quite reach the laptop. My life is tragic.

Off the bike, earphones out, glare at the cat, re-position the laptop, threaten the cat, earphones back in, back on the bike, snag the cable, die inside, think further dark thoughts about the cat, resume session.

I'd chosen to listen to what Spotify called a HIIT playlist. That'd be perfect, I thought. I'd clearly learned nothing from the pattern of the evening to that point. The first few songs were fine, Spotify ads are annoying but it's free so I'm getting what I pay for really. There were some questionable track choices in there though, more fiddly-dee than HIIT, but I got through them. Then, mid-interval, an Ed Sheeran whiney ballad assaulted my ears. I've no strong feelings on Ed Sheeran either way, he has some tracks I like and many others I don't like at all, this wasn't one of the former. Even that would have been okay if the track had a bit of life to it, but a dirge would have been livelier. I thought dark thoughts about the musical genius who put together this so-called High Intensity playlist, I thought very dark thoughts about Ed Sheeran, I wondered how my life could have come to this.

I got to the end of the session without killing myself or anyone/anything else, quite an achievement in the circumstance. While storing the heavy turbo trainer away I whacked it off my leg. I can't remember whether it was the same leg whose knee I'd jarred earlier but it didn't matter, apparently I wasn't destined to get through this evening in one piece so there was no point dwelling on the details of my demise.

I did make it through though, I woke up tired and sore the next morning to commence another day of potential self destruction. That was all a few weeks ago, despite my danger to myself I've made it this far so it appears that I'm crap at being effective at harming myself. The glass is half full!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Awesome dad had neglected to collect his daughter's bike from the school as well as his daughter. Again.

I realise it's a mistake through editing most likely but as I read it, I thought you had first of all left you daughter at school till midnight without anyone flagging it and two, your first thought was for her bike and only by association had you realised she had not returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Some "interesting' experiences recently, like the guy cycling on the footpath who looked at me before riding onto the road right in front of me leaving me having to hit the brakes hard. He then rode straight across the rode and onto the footpath on the other side, presumably trying to keep off the "dangerous roads" because people do unpredictable things on them, or something.

Then there was the cyclist who tried to overtake me as I was slowing down, by squeezing between me and the car to my right which was clearly and hastily drifting into the cycle lane (the cause of my slowing down but apparently the narrowing gap to my right completely escaped the attention of the cyclist). Though the rider struggled to find common sense, thankfully for him he found his brakes pretty sharpish. The car driver, looking down at the mobile in her hand, was completely oblivious, I'm guessing she was doing a Google search along the lines of "Car moving, now how do I steer this thing?"

But this post is going to focus on the more common scourge of my life, the person that seems determined to make even the simplest daily tasks an insurmountable challenge. Me. ...oh, and Spotify. And Ed Sheeran.

It was a regular enough evening, except for the fact that I had to collect my daughter from a weekly kids thing she attends. Simple. Ha! I drove to her school, collected her and brought her home without incident. Even her bedtime routine was relatively quick. It all left me feeling vaguely capable, almost awesome even.

I was planning a turbo session that evening so I got everything ready and dashed upstairs to put on my kit. It was looking like I might get the session done and be in bed before midnight, which is unheard of. I skipped back down the stairs in my kit, exuding awesome with every step. I took the turn at the end of the stairs at a speed which was unfamiliar, normally I have to slow down there to skirt past my daughter's bike. The bike that wasn't there. Ah. ****e! Awesome dad had neglected to collect his daughter's bike from the school as well as his daughter. Again.

I spent a few minutes avoiding the obvious fact that I needed to go get the bike, I came up with some creative and utterly infeasible alternative means of her getting to school the next morning. So I threw a pair of tracksuit legs and a fleece over my kit, suddenly feeling very "local" and headed off. As I sat into the car I fancied that I actually heard the squelch as well as felt it. Chamois cream is perfectly normal. On a bike. Chamois cream while sitting in a car just amplifies the feeling that you are wearing a big nappy. It's just wrong. My awesomeness dented, I drove to the school.

The school gates were locked. Bah! I ignored the inner voice that reminded me that the school probably has security cameras and I climbed over the gate. Hauling myself up and over the gate was quite easy, my regular upper body exercises have being paying dividends. I redeemed some awesomeness points right there. I jumped down the other side. My regular lower body exercises haven't been nearly as good apparently as I landed like a sack of spuds, jarring my knee in the process. All pretence at awesomeness was well and truly gone at this stage. I headed towards the school bike park, limping slightly, and musing over the prospect of being caught trespassing by a garda. Me in (squelchy) lycra shorts and a tight-fitting sleeveless base layer, creeping round the grounds of a primary school, it's not a happy combination of circumstances.

Bike retrieved I was back over the gate, less gingerly this time, and into the car in record time and fled the scene. Back at home I got the last bits ready for my now delayed turbo session. For a change this time I was going to use Spotify to provide the music to distract myself during the turbo session so I plugged my earphones into my tablet. I reached across the bike to put something on the table, the earphone cable snagged on the bike saddle and pulled one earplug out. Gah. I reached down to pick it up, the cable snagged on something else and pulled the tablet to the edge of the table and I only just managed to grab it before it hit the ground. Why is life so hard.

I climbed onto the bike. Realised I'd forgotten to turn on the electric fan. Back off the bike, earphones out, walked over and turned on the fan, earphones back in, climbed on the bike, snagged the cable again, earphones fell out. *sob*.

I had my laptop positioned on a step stool in front of the bike, I had TrainerRoad running on it for the session. During one of the intervals one of my cats hopped onto the lower step of the stool. He often does that, it's not a problem as the laptop is on the step above and he never climbs up there. He climbed up there. He stepped onto the laptop. It was a tough interval, my lungs were under pressure but somehow I managed to let out a "gerroffoutofityerbastard!" with enough volume and vehemence that the cat took fright and launched himself off the laptop. The cat went one way, the laptop slid the other, the tiled floor below prepared itself.

By sheer luck the laptop's slide was stopped by one of the uprights. I breathed (with difficulty) a sigh of relief. Then I realised that I could no longer see the screen properly. Nnnngggghhhhhh! I was now in the recovery interval so I tried to reach the laptop while remaining on the bike. A litte further. And a little more. Just a tiny bit more. By now my pelvis was almost resting on my handlebars and I still couldn't quite reach the laptop. My life is tragic.

Off the bike, earphones out, glare at the cat, re-position the laptop, threaten the cat, earphones back in, back on the bike, snag the cable, die inside, think further dark thoughts about the cat, resume session.

I'd chosen to listen to what Spotify called a HIIT playlist. That'd be perfect, I thought. I'd clearly learned nothing from the pattern of the evening to that point. The first few songs were fine, Spotify ads are annoying but it's free so I'm getting what I pay for really. There were some questionable track choices in there though, more fiddly-dee than HIIT, but I got through them. Then, mid-interval, an Ed Sheeran whiney ballad assaulted my ears. I've no strong feelings on Ed Sheeran either way, he has some tracks I like and many others I don't like at all, this wasn't one of the former. Even that would have been okay if the track had a bit of life to it, but a dirge would have been livelier. I thought dark thoughts about the musical genius who put together this so-called High Intensity playlist, I thought very dark thoughts about Ed Sheeran, I wondered how my life could have come to this.

I got to the end of the session without killing myself or anyone/anything else, quite an achievement in the circumstance. While storing the heavy turbo trainer away I whacked it off my leg. I can't remember whether it was the same leg whose knee I'd jarred earlier but it didn't matter, apparently I wasn't destined to get through this evening in one piece so there was no point dwelling on the details of my demise.

I did make it through though, I woke up tired and sore the next morning to commence another day of potential self destruction. That was all a few weeks ago, despite my danger to myself I've made it this far so it appears that I'm crap at being effective at harming myself. The glass is half full!
    This has to be true as there is no way to possibly make up such a litany of woe for just one evening(unless your the script writer for the worlds worst soap opera).

thanks by the way, it made me smile while reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Suddenly me not being able to go out on the bike yesterday because of the squirts pales into insignificance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have this vision of how doozerie's posts are produced.

typing-pool.jpg

CramCycle wrote: »
    I realise it's a mistake through editing most likely but as I read it, I thought you had first of all left you daughter at school till midnight without anyone flagging it and two, your first thought was for her bike and only by association had you realised she had not returned.

Yes, it's a, er, mistake. I certainly and categorically did not forgot to collect my daughter. And if I did, which I *definitely* didn't, I'm sure she'd have been perfectly fine and, with some counselling, will come to forgive me.
    The wife, and Social Services, might be reading!

typing-pool.jpg

I'd respond to this except half of my typing pool have clocked off for the evening. The slackers. I'd write them an angry memo, if only I could.

My life isn't always the disaster I describe above, though it does have its moments. As an example, we are selling our house at the moment and the estate agent turned up recently to take photos.

We'd spent several days sprucing the place up, it takes a lot of hard work to make a home look like a sterile show house but it was looking resonably well. The weather was perfect too, a dry bright day with blue sky, nothing could go wrong. I drove the car out of the drive and the efficient estate agent had the gates closed and the photos of the front taken before I walked back from where I parked the car. This was going well.

Something caught my eye as I strolled through the gate. Was that...? Could it be...? Yes. It was. Our cats had left us a present, they'd carefully laid a rat to rest under the car and there it was taking pride of place in the driveway. It was well presented, I'll give them that, death clearly suited it.

We checked the house photos when they were put up on myhome.ie and, sure enough, you can just make out the shape of the corpse. You'd have to know what you were looking for, it's not glaringly obvious, but still. So anyone want to buy a rat morgue? We'll throw in the cats for free.

As for the deceased, it was quickly transported to its final repose in the hedge. Except it wasn't its final repose, the next day it was laid out elsewhere in the garden - or more correctly, most of it was. It travelled around the garden a bit over the next couple of days, less and less the rat it once was. I don't think it has met any of the prospective buyers. Our cats clearly have a twisted sense of humour though so they might arrange that yet.

A cat belonging to a B & B owner done that for a guest at breakfast while we were staying.

Very funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Got overtaken here last weekend. Heard a car screaming up behind me and a massive over-rev as he shifted down by about three gears and passed me a speed and so close on this blind bend with a slight incline around the corner that is very difficult to see over. I genuinely thought that this is the moment that I finally get taken out of it. Luckily, there was noody coming in the opposite direction but he had no clue of that until after he was up the incline around the bend.

I was just coming to the bend when he roared past me. It's much blinder in real life than on the map.

That is the first time that I can remember having been scared for my safety on the bike knowing that I had zero control over the outcome of the event. I'm ordering a road id wrist band today!

Advertisement