Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Global Warming is BS?

• 19-04-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Well do you think we caused it or its the Earths natural cycle, think about it, the Ice Age disappeared many moons ago and back then we didnt have the pollution that we have today.:pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

omgz, you just totally solved everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

+1

I am very suspicious of the whole thing. In some ways I see as more money to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Doesnt really matter what the cause is, we will just have to deal with the effects. Not sure how bad it will all be though.. But it doesn't seem good by any means. Islands are dissapearing already
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/disappearing-world-global-warming-claims-tropical-island-429764.html
    , its when it hits any of the poorer sea level heavily populated areas like Bangledesh that the throuble will start. Refugees scambling all over. Going too be pretty bad if that starts. All this coupled with rising food prices is going to make the future pretty pircey cost of living wise.

Steyr wrote: »
    Well do you think we caused it or its the Earths natural cycle, think about it, the Ice Age disappeared many moons ago and back then we didnt have the pollution that we have today.:pac:

How could I but agree when faced with such well reasoned and supported debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No, I don't think it's BS. There's too much evidence to the contrary.
    If Ireland gets flooded, apparently Cork will be the first place gone because the city is built at sea level (or so I was told....if that's wrong someone correct me!) If so, I'm screwed!:eek: I can't swim :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

The fact that Mars is warming at the the same rate as us pretty much convinced me on the subject.

Cow farts FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Mostly BS.
    It is like the new religion for the 21 century. Complete with high priests, Mr Duncan Stewart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

There is astronomical amounts of money to be made for 'Green' energy companies, and businesses selling 'Green' products.
    'Energy conservation' i.e. stop using pollutive energy sources; fossil fuels. Tax us normal folk when all we need is nuclear power and then we can waste all we want!
    BS TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Total BS in my opinion. Every decade scientists seem to come up with something "terrible" thats going to kill us all just to get the research dollars rolling in. My case in point, the hole in the o-zone layer was big news in the 90's, you dont seem to hear too much news of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

BrightEyes wrote: »
    There is astronomical amounts of money to be made for 'Green' energy companies, and businesses selling 'Green' products.
    'Energy conservation' i.e. stop using pollutive energy sources; fossil fuels. Tax us normal folk when all we need is nuclear power and then we can waste all we want!
    BS TBH
    caoibhin wrote: »
    Mostly BS.
    It is like the new religion for the 21 century. Complete with high priests, Mr Duncan Stewart.
    Willstev wrote: »
    +1

I am very suspicious of the whole thing. In some ways I see as more money to be made.

Science wants a word with you, all of you.
    And it's not a friendly word either.

• Advertisement

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Total BS in my opinion. Every decade scientists seem to come up with something "terrible" thats going to kill us all just to get the research dollars rolling in. My case in point, the hole in the o-zone layer was big news in the 90's, you dont seem to hear too much news of it now.

You too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

BS, bull/cow fart, insect fart, it's a cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The Cyclic warming of the earth is a natural thing but the worrying thing bout it is that now due to all the Green House Gases, it's happening at a much faster rate than ever before.
    Like the cyclic climate change and temperature rise/fall usually happens over a period of 1000's of years. Giving enough time for all the species to adapt to the changes taking place.

But now due to the increase in greenhouse gasses (after the industrial revolution), its happening over the course of just 100's of years. About 10 times faster rate. This is giving not sufficient time for the species to adapt to the change and resulting in serious problems.

And anyone who says climate change is BS, go to Africa. Climate change doesn't effect everyone equally. All it has done to Ireland is that no more snow in winters and warmer summers. But in places like africa where the seasonal changes are more drastic, it is causing in rivers to dry up and decrease in rainfall causing serve draughts and famines.

So Climate change and Global Warming ARE serious problems and they should be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Global warming isn't bull****

Who cares who or what caused it, its happening

galwayrush wrote: »

:D or :mad:

not sure what you mean.

Cow farts produce more "planet killing" emmissions than our road traffic does.

On the other hand, the ozone hole hasn't been in the media lately because, thanks to the likes or Ryanscare, "planet killing" aricraft emit enough ozone to keep it under control.

So who's going to tell over 2 billion people in China, India and some African countries they can't have Fridges, Cars, Heating for their homes?:rolleyes:

The Cyclic warming of the earth is a natural thing but the worrying thing bout it is that now due to all the Green House Gases, it's happening at a much faster rate than ever before.
    Like the cyclic climate change and temperature rise/fall usually happens over a period of 1000's of years. Giving enough time for all the species to adapt to the changes taking place.

But now due to the increase in greenhouse gasses (after the industrial revolution), its happening over the course of just 100's of years. About 10 times faster rate. This is giving not sufficient time for the species to adapt to the change and resulting in serious problems.

And anyone who says climate change is BS, go to Africa. Climate change doesn't effect everyone equally. All it has done to Ireland is that no more snow in winters and warmer summers. But in places like africa where the seasonal changes are more drastic, it is causing in rivers to dry up and decrease in rainfall causing serve draughts and famines.

So Climate change and Global Warming ARE serious problems and they should be taken seriously.

How do you explain the fact that average global temperatures have dropped over the last two years?

sorry no link, heard it on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i had a rant written to accompany the following link but i got logged out for some reason when i went to post and now its gone i do feel much calmer but i've forgotten what i wanted to post, hate when that happens!

short answer- yes.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=20070315&articleId=5086

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭WEST

Scientists dont just decide to make up crazy claims how we are all doomed. Plus just because something is not in the papers does not mean its not there. There is still a hole in the ozone layer but at least we have cut down on CFC usage to try and fix the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Let's face it, if you were actually good at science you'd go into medicine, space travel, particle physics, genetics; not "climatology".

WEST wrote: »
    Scientists dont just decide to make up crazy claims how we are all doomed. Plus just because something is not in the papers does not mean its not there.

Correct, they'd be scientologists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

And anyone who says climate change is BS, go to Africa. Climate change doesn't effect everyone equally. All it has done to Ireland is that no more snow in winters and warmer summers. But in places like africa where the seasonal changes are more drastic, it is causing in rivers to dry up and decrease in rainfall causing serve draughts and famines.QUOTE]

Climate has always changed, the Sahara area was lush and tropical in Roman times. The drought in parts of Africa owe far more to overgrazing and deforestation than to CO2 in the atmosphere. How about the mini ice-age in Britain in the 1500s, the Thames would freeze solid, they held ice-fairs!
    The question is whether change is being influenced by human activity. Maybe - personally I think the whole carbon credit thing is a huge moneymaking scam, ditto biofuels. I know some people involved in research in this area, and I've seen firsthand how they can direct and skew their conclusions in order to get 'interesting' results - a negative result isn't great for publishing papers. And the funding for anything with reference to global warming is great!

Let's face it, if you were actually good at science you'd go into medicine, space travel, particle physics, genetics; not "climatology".

Climatology is the study of the earths incredibly complex atmosphere a system that takes into account, amongst others, interactions between the atmosphere itself, the oceans, land surface, and ice, it's hardly a 'stupid' science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

WEST wrote: »
    Plus just because something is not in the papers does not mean its not there.

excuse me? not in the papers? bloody hell it hasn't been OUT of the papers, or the news, or government speeches, or corporate speeches, you can't even bat an eyelid wothout being told "only blink once an hour to save energy, think of the planet!".

ok i threw the last one in there but you get the idea, im sick of the sensationalism!

Taken seriously, sure. Just once we don't fool ourselves into thinking we can do a damn thing to stop it or ease it's onset...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No, I don't think it's bs. We didn't even get a spring this year. Winter still hasn't ended. It's freezing every day, and I've already seen 3 really heavy hail storms in the past 3 or 4 weeks.

We are definately contributing to it. It's fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Haha you just proved yourself wrong with that example you gave!! The Ozone layer was a HUGE problem. The reason it isnt anymore is because that problem was solved. CFCs caused ozone layer destruction. So research was put into alternative chemicals to use in the applications CFCs were used in. CFCs are no longer used anymore and therefore the Ozone layer is repairing itself veeeerrry slowly. Problem solved or improving anyway!

And as for global warming, thats happening for definite whats causing it is the question. It doesnt really matter really as far as I can see. What we do to help prevent it can only improve the situation. We have to switch our dependence from fossil fuels anyway global warming or not for two simple reasons, 1) they are running out 2) the pollution is causing serious health problems etc. just look at the smog in some major cities of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Probably as real as the Y2K bug. Snyper will be around shortly to take your order for solar panels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

But there's the catch, you stick the word 'climate' into your scientific research and you will be skipped to the front of the queue for funding your project (and ultimately also paying your salary). A mate of mine has had real problems with this and has seen colleagues get all sorts of research funded as it was environmental linked, big business the environment and climate change...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

For me, global warming = cheaper gas bills, cos I dont have to leave the heating on for so long.... happier summers if the weather is nicer.... and hence, generally happier people.

My narrow-minded opinion:D

cooperguy wrote: »
    Haha you just proved yourself wrong with that example you gave!! The Ozone layer was a HUGE problem. The reason it isnt anymore is because that problem was solved. CFCs caused ozone layer destruction. So research was put into alternative chemicals to use in the applications CFCs were used in. CFCs are no longer used anymore and therefore the Ozone layer is repairing itself. Problem solved!

The only flaw to that argument is that at the time of the ozone debacle we were told that CFCs would continue to effect ozone levels at the poles for up to half a century after we stopped using them.
    AFAIR (I'll go and look for a link) something else has happened WRT rising levels in the ozone layer...it could well be what someone referred to above about HC emmisions from high flying passenger jets...

kwestfan08 makes a good point, if unintentionally....scientists scream to the rest of us chicken lickens that the sky is falling in, every decade it's something different, going back to nuclear winters from WWIII, a new ice age predicted in the 70's, ozone depletion and these days of course global warming/heating and resultant climatic change...it all smacks of crying wolf and Joe Public only sees the hysteria and sees prices going up, so thinks it's all a scam to make money....and you can't really blame him, when you look at the kerfuffle surrounding "green" goods and energy sources, carbon credits and footprints.

At the end of it all it doesn't matter if you believe it's ahppening or not, or if you believe it's human influenced or not...the telltale signs are already there and the proof of the pudding will be in the eating...if we're around to see it...

Wertz wrote: »
    what someone referred to above about HC emmisions from high flying passenger jets...

Thanks weurtez, it's true, h2O emmitited by aircraft at high altitude ends up as ozone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, I don't think it's bs. We didn't even get a spring this year. Winter still hasn't ended. It's freezing every day, and I've already seen 3 really heavy hail storms in the past 3 or 4 weeks.

We had summer for 3 weeks a month ago or so. As for the freezing every day, etc, the Romans called Ireland "the island of winter". We only got a few days of warmth until recently, and now it's going back to the usual always-sh|te-weather as we once had. This island always had a poor supply of sunshine, so it'll be interesting to see how we are effected by global warming.

IMO, it's mostly BS. The cycle is happening regardless, but we're not doing it any favours pumping gallons of smog into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Pacman's a scientist?

• Advertisement

planetX wrote: »
    Climate has always changed, the Sahara area was lush and tropical in Roman times. The drought in parts of Africa owe far more to overgrazing and deforestation than to CO2 in the atmosphere. How about the mini ice-age in Britain in the 1500s, the Thames would freeze solid, they held ice-fairs!
    The question is whether change is being influenced by human activity. Maybe - personally I think the whole carbon credit thing is a huge moneymaking scam, ditto biofuels. I know some people involved in research in this area, and I've seen firsthand how they can direct and skew their conclusions in order to get 'interesting' results - a negative result isn't great for publishing papers. And the funding for anything with reference to global warming is great!

Sahara was lush and tropical 10000 years ago. Since Moses's time, Egypt was always a desert!
    I did state climate change is a cyclic phenomenon and it generally takes place over 1000's of years.
    But due to all the CO2 emissions after the industrial revolution that started in the late 19th, early 20th centuary, the amount of green house gases in the atmosphere has risen significantly putting the whole climate cycle out of balance. The cycle is taking place at a much faster rate now and it is not giving nature the time to adapt to the changes.

Global warming is not just due to more cars. It is a result of a cascade of events.

1. The human population has risen significantly and now the ratio of the human:plant life has increased in the human side. Causing more O2 to be consumed and more CO2 to be released than ever before. And to add to that, lately the massive amounts of deforestation that has taken place has reduced the ratio more towards the plants side. Putting nature out of balance.

2. Oil was the Carbon store of the earth. It has taken millions of years for all the animal and plants to sediment in the earth and turn into oil. Now after the industrial revolution when oil started being consumed in enormous quantities, the carbon store in the earth started being released into the atmosphere. We've burnt and released almost all of the oil in the planet in just a century. Oil that took millions of years to form and the Carbon that was taken out of the atmosphere over the millions of years was all put back into the atmosphere over just a 100 years. The CO2 level in the atmosphere is rising and that is a fact. So is the fact that CO2 is a green house gas. The reason Venus is hotter than Mercury is cuz of the amount of CO2 in its atmosphere. CO2 traps the sun's heat and raises the temperature of the planet. The reason it is so significant now is cuz we've never burned fossil fuels in this much amount ever before so now its really affecting the environment.

3. Methane is a much more powerful green house gas than CO2. It traps 4 times more heat than CO2. The increase in the amount of cattle over the years has caused a significant increase in methane too. Then methane is also stored in the glaciers as a natural store for them. Due to global warming, these glaciers are melting and causing more methane to be released into the atmosphere increasing the GH gasses more and causing more global warming. A perfect example of this is in siberia where you can acually see all the methane bubbles under the frozen ice on the vast frozen bog land.

All of this is taking place too far for nature to adapt to the changes. The frequency of freak weather has increased due to this causing more seasonal imbalances. Cold waves and heat waves during times you wouldn't normally expect them. Global Warming doesn't just cause the days to get hotter, it causes climatic imbalances with the general average temperature of the earth rising.

All of this can be slowed down by all the stuff you hear on the TV about carbon footprint and all.
    Its not a fad. Its true and it is happening. We need to reduce the amount of fossil fuels we use and move to more renewable resources and plant more trees to decrease the amount of CO2 levels in the atmosphere. WE have caused this climatic imbalance and we can still change it and bring it back to normal. But for that all of ye skeptics need to start believing that Global Warming is really happening and though it doesn't put any direct effect on our lives, it is causing changes to the world. We here have many means to cope with with the changes that are happening right now, neither is it really effecting us much (as just warmer summers and no more snow). But it is making life much more tougher to people in the 3rd world countries as water is getting more scarce in those places.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Science wants a word with you, all of you.
    And it's not a friendly word either.

+1

My gast is constantly flabbered at the disbelief in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Global warming may be happening, but all these solutions being tossed around wont make a difference. People hugging trees, using wind-power, switching to energy efficient lightbulbs, driving Prius and recycling their own fecal matter wont save the world - some guy in a white coat in a laboratory will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

dlofnep wrote: »

:rolleyes:

so because the weather is crap that means its our fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

galwayrush wrote: »

You do realise there wouldn't be quite so many cattle out there if it was for human interaction, yes?

How anyone could possibly think trying to be less dependent on fossil fuels is a bad thing is beyond stupidity... Oil won't be around much longer... we'd be better off spending our resources on finding alternatives than waging wars to capture the dwindling resources...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Ask me again in 2020, because the jury is still somewhat out on this, despite many stories in the news about scientists say this, blah blah, there is probably still quite a bit of uncertainty. First of all, is the globe really warming or is it just some regional climate shifts in recent years. Some parts are definitely warming, others haven't seen that much change.

Secondly, it is far from certain that such warming as may have happened is really from human causes. It could be a natural cycle that would be quite capable of reversing (some wonder if it just did last year).

Third big problem, many believe that solar cycles on the longer time scale are important, and we are overdue for a "quieter regime" than our Sun has been in for the past century. If this relative minimum does show up, there could be a natural cooling tendency that might outweigh a smaller human=related warming tendency.

So, all things considered, I believe it is wise to push for cleaner technology and alternate fuel sources (cheaper ones, hopefully), but it is also wise to be open to any number of possible outcomes, including a cooling trend at some future point, a steady-state climate like the present, or warming that we can't control, that would raise sea levels whether we have programs in place to reduce greenhouse gases or not. Any of these outcomes are possible.

I would say "b.s." might be too strong a term, but if you asked, is global warming proven beyond doubt, I would say no, and its causes may not be as much of our fault as some are saying. So we should be cautious about what to do, and what to expect, because it would be just our luck (speaking about the human race in general) for an ice age to set in just when the atmosphere is restored to its pristine glory. At least we'll see the ice coming. :)

All of this can be slowed down by all the stuff you hear on the TV about carbon footprint and all.
    WE have caused this climatic imbalance and we can still change it and bring it back to normal. But for that all of ye skeptics need to start believing that Global Warming is really happening and though it doesn't put any direct effect on our lives, it is causing changes to the world. .

Mmm..
    Im reminded of a preacher of old telling people that they have sinned and need to repent. The only redemption is through the word of Duncan Steward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

It's got something to do with sun spots, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Global warming or not I can't see any reason not to try and live 'cleaner' lives.

Oil will probably run out for the most part in our lifetimes, now is a good time to start looking into new technologies and ways of living.

Humans up to now have never had it so good and it's taken us just 100 years or so to REALLY change the face of this planet, a planet that is finite and can only absorb so much.

We're moving into scary times imo if not in our lifetime then for our kids or their kids.

How anyone could possibly think trying to be less dependent on fossil fuels is a bad thing is beyond stupidity... Oil won't be around much longer... we'd be better off spending our resources on finding alternatives than waging wars to capture the dwindling resources...

Good Point, I always wondered how many good non fossil fuel dependant ideas have been shelved by the monetary power of the vested intrerests in the Oil Industry.

Global warming may be happening, but all these solutions being tossed around wont make a difference. People hugging trees, using wind-power, switching to energy efficient lightbulbs, driving Prius and recycling their own fecal matter wont save the world - some guy in a white coat in a laboratory will.

How can some dude in a white coat solve global warming??
    What we need to do here is bring back the flora:fauna ratio back in balance and reduce the CO2 emissions to stop the levels of CO2 from rising further in the atmosphere and create ways to bring down the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere back to what it normally was and should be.
    Switching to cleaner and renewable energy sources, planting more trees, stopping the amazon deforestation, saving the rain forests and reducing individuals carbon footprints is the key to bring back this balance. And we are a part of the balance so we need to act to save it too.

It is us who are cutting down all the trees in the amazon and us who love to drive big cars and use loads of electricity, gas, oil to live our luxurious lives. We are the reason why global warming is happening and if we don't change the way we are living right now, we're not gonna help the situation.
    The governments need to take big incentives to move to cleaner fuels to power the cities too. But rather than that its trying to push people to reduce their Carbon footprint. People don't really pay a big role in global warming. Cars now days are pretty clean though living in better insulated homes will reduce the amount of gas/oil consumption for heating too. The government needs to move to renewable energy sources or else countries will be in big trouble seeing the cost of crude oil rocketing up every year, this is going to hit economies really bad very soon. Afterall how much are you willing to pay for a liter of petrol. I've seen the cost go up 30c/liter in just 3 years. In another 5-10 years don't be surprised to pay €2 or even more for the liter of petrol and the gas bill at your home doubling. We need to switch to alternate renewable fuels just for this one reason alone too!

You do realise there wouldn't be quite so many cattle out there if it was for human interaction, yes?

It IS stupid to be so dependant on fossil fuels. That is not in question.
    Nor is keeping the natural environment free from pollution or promotion of sustainable land uses and lifestyles.
    The climate does indeed appear to be changing but the question is if mankind has caused it and if so, it remains to be seen if we can do anything to reverse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Wertz wrote: »
    The only flaw to that argument is that at the time of the ozone debacle we were told that CFCs would continue to effect ozone levels at the poles for up to half a century after we stopped using them.

The flaw in the argument was suggesting that the problem is gone.

Here's a report from NASA in 2006 showing that if current trends continue, the ozone layer will recover to 1980 levels by the middle of the century....more or less exactly in line with what we were told when the argument for banning CFCs was made. Note - the ozone layer wasn't healthy in 1980...but the slow-down in its degradation, and the ensuing recovery are bang-on what was predicted.

Just because it doesn't make the news any more doesn't mean that the ozone layer is healthy again.

If anything, this is an excellent example of why people should listen to scientists on scientific issues, and not what the media are saying about the science. Science didn't predict the end of the world due to the ozone layer, no more than they predict the end of the world through global warming. Rather, they predicted increased problems as a result.

In the case of the ozone layer, their recommendations were listened to (for whatever reason you choose to believe) and the ensuing result matched what the scientists predicted would come from their recommendations.

Had we not banned CFCs, its reasonable to believe that the scientific models of what would have happened would also have been accurate. The world still wouldn't end, but we'd have the problems the scientists were predicting.

To argue that the problem wasn't real because we took the preventative action we were told to and because it has had and is having the predicted mitigating effects is daft. Its like saying that because I wore a seatbelt like I was told to and it saved my life in a crash, it somehow proves that seatbelts are useless or crashes aren't dangerous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ask me again in 2020, because the jury is still somewhat out on this,
    The way normal juries work is by a majority. The Scientific jury came back a long ago time ago and when you consider the amount of money/gants/promotions available to those who would toe the political/industrial line that there is no global warming the amount of scientiests / meterologists a recanting is very low. Also the way science works is that if ANYONE come up with reproducable evidence that a theory is wrong then the theory is wrong, and will have to be modified or ditched.

In politics/war/industry you can keep your theories after they have been shown to fail continuously.

You can argue about whether global warming is 100% caused by man or whether it's a natural cycle intensified by iterference, what you can't say is that humans have had no effect. One estimate I've seen in new scientist is that CO2 levels are now high enough to offset an ice age for the next 250,000 years or so.

Another argument is whether we should spend money reversing the trend or helping those in the third world to live with it. But if technologies to reduce carbon emission aren't introduced to the emerging economies then the problem will accelerate, with possible knock on effects if the amazon rain forest changes into scrub land (it's happing on the east side) / permafrost melting releases greenhouse gases / ocean warming releases methane hydrates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

stevec wrote: »
    How do you explain the fact that average global temperatures have dropped over the last two years?

I'd explain it by pointing out that Global Warming science doesn't predict that every year will be warmer than the previous one.

I'd also point out that these figures still result in a climbing 5-year average, and that both years are amongst the top 10 on record.

• Advertisement
Advertisement