Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World War 3.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Oh sorry, I asked for a source, not 'I think everyone knows herp derp'.

Here are two articles from WIRED and Yahoo which cover nicely what was unearthed in Wikileaks Iraq war logs. That being that there were WMDs.

Don't try discuss **** without sources. Your comment earlier on bringing the war on terror to Turkey was the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever read.

OOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Here are two articles from WIRED and Yahoo which cover nicely what was unearthed in Wikileaks Iraq war logs. That being that there were WMDs.

Don't try discuss **** without sources. Your comment earlier on bringing the war on terror to Turkey was the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever read.

Sounds an awful lot like moderating to me.

I think well be fighting world war three with our miiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnddds!

But seriously tis all speculating although the downturn in the western economy would be boosted quite a bit by a new military economy just like in world war two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

IvySlayer wrote: »
    USA are in no position to fight. They can't even fight some insurgents in Iraq never mind a full scale war. And China completely owns their economy.

The US is in the best position to fight of the major powers. Fighting a conventional war and fighting insurgency are very different things. Fact is the US has the best weaponry and technology, highest military budget and an army which has recendly experienced combat. They took apart Iraqs porper army fairly quickly. If they had to occupy a hostile territory that would cause them problems in the long run alright, but in conventional warfare they are far ahead of the rest, for now anyway. And China destroying Americas economy would be economic suicide for them aswell.
    The fact that the major European countries are cutting back on their military spending makes me think there won't be a big war, that and nuclear weapons.
    Not that Ireland would do anything anyway with the stupid triple lock neutrality, meaning any one of 5 foreign countries can stop us using our army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

All modern wars start out around a negociation table and also end up back at some form of negociation table.

When are we going to learn to skip the piece in the middle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

nuclear fallout,super mutants and 3 tittied woman ftmfw

I'm looking forward to the BBC boxset!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This thread kind've makes me think of a load of guys sitting around a basment smoking Marijuana and discussing world events and coming up with throeries. All I have to say to this is, don't touch my mountain dew:mad:

Seriosuly though, I'm not sure if a World War is really all that likely tbh. Firstly let's look at the fact that we have the UN. While some might call it a 20th century relic, with no real power. It's still used to discuss topics around the world between nations. before World War 2, you only had the League Of Nations, but since the US and Russia were not invovled, China was still trying to get it's sh!t together and the LON was largely dominated by Britain and France, it proved to be a failure. The UN however was set up to stop another World War from breaking out. While it shows signs of incompotence, it's still might be able to divert a world war from happening. Now you're probery thinking about how it couldn't stop other wars from happening, but compared to WW2 there are no wars of that calibre going on. One could say the Vietnam war was just as if not worse, but that only involved the US and the Vietnams, Russia might have been involved too but not in a war type effort.But my point is, it wasn't a world war. the Vietnam War was huge yes, but Other then that, wars today tend to be conflicts, focused in a certain place, i.e Iraq and Afghanistan and not around the world like WW2.

Secondly, people say China and the US would get involved in a war on opposing sides. But I think they're too afraid to fight each other. It would be like the Cold War all over again. The US and Russia never actually had a hot war and that was the period when people said a war between those two nations was very possible. Now they did come close at times, but they always managed to find a common ground and stop a war from happening. I believe the reason for that, is because both countries were too afraid to go to war. Otherwise, they might have done so. Especially with the Cuban Missile Crisis. Would America be as so hesistant to go to war if a country like North Korea had done that with Iran. Of course i've read those wikileaks files about North Korea supplying Iran, but i won't talk about that at the moment because i'm already talking about quite a bit now. But my point is, the US and China today would be on the same level as the US and Russia during the cold war. It would be more about postoring, but ultimately I don't think either nation really wants to go war. Especially the US.

Thirdly, In regards to North and South Korea. These guys have been going at it for many decades now. Technically speaking, they are still at war with one another. However it's more of a cold war now then it is a hot war. But as for the all the things going on on with the Koreas. North Korean army attacking a South Korean navy vessel last month. Or the thing last year. People have the remember that this isn't the first time things like this has happened. No, it's been going on for years and despite all the problems nothing has come about between them. People said last year that a war was going to happen back then, and nothing came about. A month after, people forgot about it and everyone was at ease again. Now that dosen't mean a war could not happen between them, but just that I don't think the North and South really want a war either. If they do go to war, it will most likely be a fight between South and North Korea. I don't really see any reason for another country getting involved other then the US who are allies to the South and have been anti-NK for a long time and China who are allies to the North and are right beside Korea. But the US military is already over expanded as it is, and I don't think Barrack Obama really has the guts to pull the trigger tbh. He's more of a diplomat, not a war monger like George Bush. As for China, well I don't see them getting invovled in a war like role. At best a full scale war between the Koreas would most likely see the US and China getting involved only as suppliers. i.e China supplies the NK and USA supplies the SK but that's about it. Other then that, i don't think a World War can come from a war between those two nations. It would really just be a conflict.

Fourthly, In regards to Iran. While they do have a possiblity of starting a war. It would be just like the Gulf War all over again. But in a more extreme way. It wouldn't be just Iraq vs the US and Britain, it will proberly be like Iran and Syria(if they side with Iran) and proberly insurgent groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah Vs Isreal(who will most likely be at the forefront), the US and possibly Britain and any other nations who oppose Iran. Now this could be more of a heated war, and could proberly be a huge war. But the possiblity of it being the scale of a world war, I don't know. It would seem most likely, but unless my prediction comes true, i don't see it happening. At most the war would be more centered around Isreal and Iran. Their allies may play minimal roles, but I don't really know tbh. With this topic I can't be too sure as it is so unpredictable.

In conclusion, I just basically analyised all the hot spots the world, where a war is likely to occur and made my own opinion on the thread. I proberly most likely am wrong though. So my opinion is about as right as anyone elses. But that's how I see things happening. Do I believe a World War can break out. I wouldn't be hugely doubtful, but I wouldn't be too sure a war could happen. Not from the way I see things anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

worst film EVER

it's up there with Jeepers Creepers

Was not, book was good also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

If WW3 does break out, Galway should use the opportunity to take Westport. All Mayo people to be exiled from annexed lands too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Don't try discuss war without sources. Your comment earlier on bringing the war on terror to Turkey was the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever read.

[edit]Wikileaks also released logs that showed Iraq were getting ammunition from Iran.

Do you really think anything revealed in those leaks equates with the grave threats of imminent nuclear danger used by the Bush Administration in order to justify a pre-emptive attack on Iraq?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

What do I think will happen?

There will be a new Call of Duty made about said war. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Biologic wrote: »
    Don't worry, Ireland will sit it out again and hope nobody notices.
    aw bloody hell there going to see that now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

What do I think will happen?

There will be a new Call of Duty made about said war. :p
    i hope trearch dont make it, oh the lagggggggg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

USA are in no position to fight. They can't even fight some insurgents in Iraq never mind a full scale war. And China completely owns their economy.
    Don't he stupid. They're pulling their punches in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. If their sole aim was to crush the country they could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Shit concept albums by Sting, Coldplay and U2. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'ld say if there's a WW3, it won't be a spectacle like WW1 or WW2. Well atleast not for people in the West. People in Iraq and Afghanistan are witnessing this "spectacle" everyday!

Ridiculous notion. World War One was not a spectacular war, World War Two went ahead and became the biggest conflict ever and was a spectacular series of events. Fought on land, sea, air using new powerful frightening technology. The media grew too: radio, TV, newspaper. It was a war on an immense scale. World War Three, if occurred, will be the most spectacular thing ever.
    What's going to happen is the "War on Terror" is going to expand firstly into Pakistan,

Already been pushed into Pakistan in some aspects.
    A CIA backed protest in Iran is enough to give US a reason to invade Iran. A similar sort of protest that happened during Michael Jackson's death after the allegedly "rigged" elections.

Conspiracy Theory forum is that way. Bringing Micheal Jackson into a debate about a world wide conflict ridicules your argument.
    US didn't need a reason to go to war with Saddam. When it didn't have any reason, it just made up a reason of WMDs and Al-Qaeda links which all turned out to be false.

That's another thread. WMDs did exist, they were destroyed before hand. Even leaving Saddam there was a massive danger.
    Also don't forget Ireland is now in the EU. If US requires more NATO support in its war, it could be very possible Irish troops would need to be deployed. Although the bigger impact will be economical rather than military/infrastructure.

All aspects will be hit. IF troops are deployed a huge amount will go and the country will be hugely strained.
    kerryman12 wrote: »
    All modern wars start out around a negociation table and also end up back at some form of negociation table.

When are we going to learn to skip the piece in the middle!

What?

Slight underestimation of the US there. Iraq and Afghanistan aren't exactly 'conventional' wars like World War Two or Korea or Iraq 1991. US in a straight up shootout would be phenomenally strong IMO. Forces could be pulled from home, said countries etc. and if the war's 'just' for them, they'll fight like hell I'd imagine.

That's another thread. WMDs did exist, they were destroyed before hand. Even leaving Saddam there was a massive danger.

Sure thing, buddy, suuuure thing...

RichieC wrote: »
    Sure thing, buddy, suuuure thing...

Read John Keegan's Iraq War and check for yourself. He makes quite a good case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

When did WW1 and WW2 actually become known as "World War 1" and "World War 2?" I mean, i'm guessing that back in 1920 or 1930, they were just known as "The War" or something like that?

Degag wrote: »
    When did WW1 and WW2 actually become known as "World War 1" and "World War 2?" I mean, i'm guessing that back in 1920 or 1930, they were just known as "The War" or something like that?

World War One was 'the Great War' or foolishly in hindsight "the war to end all wars".

I guess when war rolled around in 1939 for the second time it was World War Two probably due to the fact it was on Europe again, had same countries fighting and originated on the continent. World War Two's known differently in some cases, for example in Russia/Soviet Union it was known as 'The Great Patriotic War'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Pres. Obama needs a new war for America to be involved in Otherwise he has no chance of being re elected in 2012 Iran looks a favouite for america to start a new war with imo....

bob50 wrote: »
    Pres. Obama needs a new war for America to be involved in Otherwise he has no chance of being re elected in 2012 Iran looks a favouite for america to start a new war with imo....

Contrary to your belief, I imagine not every American is a war starter. Why will he invade Iran?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

A new war could increase metal album sales.

Slayer could write another album about how cool the war is
    Megadeth could write another album about fighting in the war and
    Metallica could write another album about how bad war is.

Read John Keegan's Iraq War and check for yourself. He makes quite a good case.

No thanks, don't like the guy, war apologist.

Why should anyone listen to a country that hasn't been out of combat in 60 years about who's dangerous around the world?

America is far more dangerous than Saddam, Iran and north korea could ever and will ever be, combined, twice.

They are a rogue nation and a failed state out using their retard strength for their own economic ends.

F**k the lot of them, I will enjoy watching them go the way of the romans.

Dave! wrote: »
    Alarmist thread is alarmist
    I hit the snooze button ages ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

A new war could increase metal album sales.

Slayer could write another album about how cool the war is
    Megadeth could write another album about fighting in the war and
    Metallica could write another album about how bad war is.
    Lol, give me ten wars if we could get albums like Seasons in the Abyss and ...And Justice For All Again! Bring it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Contrary to your belief, I imagine not every American is a war starter. Why will he invade Iran?

As i said above his poll ratings in the usa are so poor he and his spin doctors will think they have no chance of re election
    so how can i be "re elected" ?? oh there is some nut in Iran causing the west problems we bettter stop him and say to the American people we have to " protect America and its interests" Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

RichieC wrote: »
    No thanks, don't like the guy, war apologist.

Why should anyone listen to a country that hasn't been out of combat in 60 years about who's dangerous around the world?

America is far more dangerous than Saddam, Iran and north korea could ever and will ever be, combined, twice.

They are a rogue nation and a failed state out using their retard strength for their own economic ends.

F**k the lot of them, I will enjoy watching them go the way of the romans.

Doesn't say much for other nations if Americas using 'retard strength' to beat them. And obviously they're going to act in their own best interests, most countries do. And an American dominated world would be far better than one dominate by Saddam, Iran or North Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Sadly World war 3 is inevitable.

As we all know the atomic bomb was made in 1945. This has been a deterrence to another world war ever since. As much as people may see the atomic bomb as horrendous, which it is, it has also served as a tool to stop world war 3.

But nuclear deterrence can only go so far.
    World war 2 was a life time ago. The memories have begun to fade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I say WW3 will be a long way off yet (hopefully never). I mean I don't see any clear powerful opposing super-blocks developing just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Herp.

Derp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

WWIII won't affect us directly.

In other news .... nostradamus predicted "mabus" to be the 3rd anti-christ :P ..... mabus = obamabush haahahahaaahhhahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

whatsamsn wrote: »
    In other news .... nostradamus predicted "mabus" to be the 3rd anti-christ :P ..... mabus = obamabush haahahahaaahhhahaha.

And the 1st and 2nd were?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

well im guessing one of em was Hitler:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

And to think that a little natural weed and a John Lennon record could solve this. :rolleyes:

"You're not to blame;
    You're just a human,
    a victim of the insane;
    The sun will never disappear,
    but the world may not have many years." - JL.

He predicted 2 anti-christs before Mabus:

1, Napaulon Roy (Napoleon)
    2, Hister (Hitler)

You either dont know your history or dont know who Nostradamus is lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Yeah, we'll just sit it out and let the US planes stop in Shannon. :P God, we're asking for a baytin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I hope I can see it in HD.

That'd be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

All the signs suggest its imminent. USA is pushing its troops into Pakistan. There is mounting tension between the Kurds and Turks. All signs signal an attack on Iran to only be a matter of time. Over to the east, there is growing tension between N.Korea and S.Korea. China is becoming stronger by the day and will soon be challenging USA economically. While the west is getting more broke by the day! There's also growing tensions between India and Pakistan over the Kashmir issue. And there's the eternal dispute between Palestine and Israel which can be the trigger point that sets off this new global war.

Couple this with the fact Obama just signed for the largest military budget US history of over $800billion.

Looks like the stage is set for WW3.

What do you think might happen? What would the world be like if WW3 does take place?

Its definitely not going to be like WW2 where the Allied and Axis were pretty much equally matched on power and technology. The stage is very different now. USA is extremely powerful and technological advanced but at the same time extremely broke as well and its advanced technology doesn't really seem to be that effective against guerilla tactics of the resistance they're facing. And then there's China which can always turn the tables around.

So what do you think will happen?
    these tensions you speak of have always been there, go back twenty or forty years and it was no different. A war is no more likely to break out now than it was then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Also don't forget Ireland is now in the EU. If US requires more NATO support in its war, it could be very possible Irish troops would need to be deployed. Although the bigger impact will be economical rather than military/infrastructure.

Ireland never signed the North Atlantic Treaty and offensive warfare is in violation of the constitution's stance on neutrality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Tension between the kurds and turks?
    Tension on the Korean peninsula?
    Tension between India and Pakistan?
    Tension between Israel and Palestine?

.....is it 1950 again?

What? What's your proof for this?

'Failed state' 'rogue nation'. Back these up?
    Confab wrote: »
    WWIII won't affect us directly.

World War One had a considerable effect on this nation politically, seen in the Home Rule delays for example, and militarily in the fact that thousands served and thousands died abroad.

World War Two showed Ireland's benevolent 'neutrality' as we more sucked into the conflict 'behind' neutrality.

Three, if ever occurred would see Ireland play a role and will effect us, how big or small, no one knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

....have to laugh at all the USA bashers. Their annual GDP is in the region of 15 trillion dollars...thats 15 thousand billion dollars. Thats an economy 100 times bigger than our piddle of piss and 6 times bigger than the European superpower Germany.

Its about time we wake up and show a little respect!! The yanks are the boss and thats that! There is no other country in the whole wide world that can take on the role of Worlds police man....and TBH Id much rather fancey my chances with the good aul US of A in that role than the likes of China, Iran or Russia.
    Hulkamania will never die!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Ireland never signed the North Atlantic Treaty and offensive warfare is in violation of the constitution's stance on neutrality.
    did you know its actually illegal for the irish army to be within 150 miles of a war?
    Youd have to ask what the fricken point of them is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Voltex wrote: »
    ....have to laugh at all the USA bashers. Their annual GDP is in the region of 15 trillion dollars...thats 15 thousand billion dollars. Thats an economy 100 times bigger than our piddle of piss and 6 times bigger than the European superpower Germany.

Its about time we wake up and show a little respect!! The yanks are the boss and thats that!

I dont care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

There have always being tensions between certain countries around the world going back before recorded history. The threat will always be there but thats all it is, a threat.

The reason you hear so much about it in the media is to keep you in fear, fear of something that will probably never happen to begin with. Why? Because it all boils down thing; Money. The more paranoid the masses are, the more likely they are to buy into any outlandish ideas presented to them in the name of ' security. ' Look at America and the TSA for crying out loud, the fear economy is alive and well.

Fear is just a bad a weapon as that of guns. Fear is used by others to get their way at YOUR expense. Think about all the times parents, colleges and friends have used fear to make you conform, thats the use of fear as weapon. The problem here is that fear is used on a much larger scale to control the masses. We really don't need to go far to see how fear was used against us, anyone remember the whole headshop thing from last year?

You can choose to live in fear of what is really invisible evils or chose to just get on with your life. Do you best to point others away from fear but at the same time, its their own decision if they want to follow the crowd because they fear being looked down upon for being different. Screw them, you are your own person, they have to make their own mind up.

Just my own 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 The General.

It wont happen. Ireland will not let their defence forces join in any military war. We are a neutrel(sp) country and staying that way. The Irish Government were already asked by the US Government could they have an army base here in Ireland when the war in Iraq was starting. In return, the US Government were gonna give Ireland a fair few black hawk helicopters plus other equipment as a gift. Ireland turned the offer down.
    If we had of accepted that offer,the "terrorists" would now have their eyes looking at us,,,Infidels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement