Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

efb wrote: »
    Cancelled last month,called today 50% off for 9 months :)
    is that 50% off your total package or is it off sports or movies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

squadro wrote: »
    is that 50% off your total package or is it off sports or movies?

the whole shebang! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

have sky package that includes 1 sky plus HD box and multi room for a 2nd box, regular channels, sports, movies.
    I threatened to cancel and they've offered all those for 81 euro per month.

Anyone get anything extra out of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

M three wrote: »
    have sky package that includes 1 sky plus HD box and multi room for a 2nd box, regular channels, sports, movies.
    I threatened to cancel and they've offered all those for 81 euro per month.

Anyone get anything extra out of them?

Have same for €52 or €53 excluding movies

Cancelled in my old account which was in her selfs name and rejoined in my name at carphone warehouse
    Used a different bank account also

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Ok lads, so am out of contract with Sky. Have BB, Phone and Variety+.

What is the best route to getting a better deal? Say I am going to cancel? What happens then? Just not sure of the process..

Then what should I push for? What is a reasonable expectation?
    Sorry for all the questions, there seems to be so many different people getting different things from different agents. Just want to have the facts right.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

wtd2008 wrote: »
    Ok lads, so am out of contract with Sky. Have BB, Phone and Variety+.

What is the best route to getting a better deal? Say I am going to cancel? What happens then? Just not sure of the process..

Then what should I push for? What is a reasonable expectation?
    Sorry for all the questions, there seems to be so many different people getting different things from different agents. Just want to have the facts right.
    Thanks.

You have to ring them and ask for a better deal. You say why you want a better deal for example that you need to reduce costs or only watch certain channels like Sports and the FTA channels so have a problem that you have to pay for variety channels you never use, have an issue with paying extra for HD... stuff like that. They will probably try to get you to compromise on your package or offer you a few € off.

To get the best deals you would need to talk to customer loyalty and probably cancel. You may get an offer to stay during that time or you may have to go through with the cancel and wait for them to call there is no set pattern. Expectations? I would imagine 30% maybe more off, but it is brinkmanship and you would be lucky to get offered it off the first call.

My personal experience was I cancelled and was offered 30% off, I went through with the cancellation and was off Sky for 3 weeks when they called and offered me just more than 50% off for 12 months with no contract. For me that was worth it, I am only interested in Sky Sports as I have alternative means for other entertainment and so I was only willing to give Sky the cost of that so it is personal preference for what you push for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

That time of year again. I have them down to 98 euro for full package with hd and 3 multi rooms. They wouldn't budge on that price so I am in the cancellation phase which is the first time I have had to do that. It feels like the price is too high and this time it is with a 1 year contract. Any thoughts on the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

derossi wrote: »
    That time of year again. I have them down to 98 euro for full package with hd and 3 multi rooms. They wouldn't budge on that price so I am in the cancellation phase which is the first time I have had to do that. It feels like the price is too high and this time it is with a 1 year contract. Any thoughts on the price?

How much would all that cost full price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

How much would all that cost full price?

Had to look it up there. It looks like 143 at full price so a bit less than a third off. Nothing special I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I went with 35% discount for ten months. I get Movies and the normal package for €41.60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,316 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Lemlin wrote: »
    I went with 35% discount for ten months. I get Movies and the normal package for €41.60.
    I got offered the 35% off there last Friday but held out and finally got 50% off my basic pack with Sports. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

muffler wrote: »
    I got offered the 35% off there last Friday but held out and finally got 50% off my basic pack with Sports. :)
    Muffler. Did they contact you or did you contact them?

Bif wrote: »
    Muffler. Did they contact you or did you contact them?
    I was coming near the end of a half price offer so I rang in to give the usual 31 days notice. I was straight up and to the point and told them that it was half price or nothing. 35% was the best they could offer so after refusing that i was put through to the billing dept. to be given the details of the next bill and the guy there then give me the 50% off again. In the middle of dealing with the billing dept. I got the usual "we are sorry to see you go" email which was sorta funny.

In saying all that I had been cut off twice in the last couple of years for a couple/few days at a time after cancelling. On one occasion they rang me and on the other I rang them but i managed to get half price though on both occasions. :)

In fairness not everyone is going to get 50% off. I dont know how they work out and apply the discounts but I'm assuming that people like myself who have been with them for years and also have the broadband and phone with them are probably more likely to get a decent discount compared to someone who only signed up maybe 12 - 14 months ago.

But like everything in this life if you dont ask you wont get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I was coming near the end of a half price offer so I rang in to give the usual 31 days notice. I was straight up and to the point and told them that it was half price or nothing. 35% was the best they could offer so after refusing that i was put through to the billing dept. to be given the details of the next bill and the guy there then give me the 50% off again. In the middle of dealing with the billing dept. I got the usual "we are sorry to see you go" email which was sorta funny.

In saying all that I had been cut off twice in the last couple of years for a couple/few days at a time after cancelling. On one occasion they rang me and on the other I rang them but i managed to get half price though on both occasions. :)

In fairness not everyone is going to get 50% off. I dont know how they work out and apply the discounts but I'm assuming that people like myself who have been with them for years and also have the broadband and phone with them are probably more likely to get a decent discount compared to someone who only signed up maybe 12 - 14 months ago.

But like everything in this life if you dont ask you wont get.

I went the whole hog on 18th January. I was due to be cut off in two days on 18th February having given my 30 days notice. The best they would go was 35%. I didn't recieve any calls. I rang them.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I went the whole hog on 18th January. I was due to be cut off in two days on 18th February having given my 30 days notice. The best they would go was 35%. I didn't recieve any calls. I rang them.
    Sometimes you do have to allow the cancellation to go through and see what happens then.

As I said above I was cut off completely twice in the last 20 months. First time I was cut off for 5 days I think when they called. The second time I was only off for a day or two and the wife had withdrawal symptoms so to get a bit of peace and quiet I rang them and got the same offer again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Muffler - when you ring to cancel, do you say(bluff) you're getting a better deal from another provider? Or do you just tell them to cancel as it's too expensive? Which is the truth! Just wondering what is the better strategy...
    I'm only on variety pack so I reckon they only offer the 50% off deals for customers with the top packages including sports. Could be wrong though.

Sports package due to be cut off in a couple of weeks. I had been getting 50% discount off sports for a long time. Was only offered the 35% discount this time. Told them it was too expensive. I never got a discount off the variety part of subscription for as long as I have been a customer. **** **** ****. Think I will tell them to pull the lot.

toby2111 wrote: »
    Muffler - when you ring to cancel, do you say(bluff) you're getting a better deal from another provider? Or do you just tell them to cancel as it's too expensive? Which is the truth! Just wondering what is the better strategy...
    I'm only on variety pack so I reckon they only offer the 50% off deals for customers with the top packages including sports. Could be wrong though.
    Well, I wasn't bluffing as such as I was going to leave anyhow if I didn't get the half price offer renewed.

Im in Donegal so we dont have UPC and there's no point in mentioning the likes of Evision as Eircoms pricing would be even worse than Sky's. However I did point out (on several occasions) that I have the Setanta/BT Sport pack so that would satisfy my sports cravings. I also told them repeatedly that I get Saorview and as we live close to the N.I. border here we also get Freeview which is more than enough to replace the limited amount of channels/programmes that are watched on their basic pack.

Bottom line for me anyhow was that I was upfront with them and told them I couldnt afford the full price nor anything less than half price.

Well, I wasn't bluffing as such as I was going to leave anyhow if I didn't get the half price offer renewed.

Im in Donegal so we dont have UPC and there's no point in mentioning the likes of Evision as Eircoms pricing would be even worse than Sky's. However I did point out (on several occasions) that I have the Setanta/BT Sport pack so that would satisfy my sports cravings. I also told them repeatedly that I get Saorview and as we live close to the N.I. border here we also get Freeview which is more than enough to replace the limited amount of channels/programmes that are watched on their basic pack.

Bottom line for me anyhow was that I was upfront with them and told them I couldnt afford the full price nor anything less than half price.
    Hi. Can you watch BT/Setanta without a Sky package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Hi. Can you watch BT/Setanta without a Sky package?

yes if u have a card you can

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Who would I ask to be put threw to when calling them to ask if they can offer any new deals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Gotya wrote: »
    Who would I ask to be put threw to when calling them to ask if they can offer any new deals?

Just press the buttons "remove something you get from us" and in there there's another option for "leave Sky" and you get straight through to them.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Just press the buttons "remove something you get from us" and in there there's another option for "leave Sky" and you get straight through to them.

Thanks, sorry I should of said I've already canceled and the 30 days notice has passed.

Been a couple of weeks since sky has been gone and heard noting from them.

I was thinking of ringing and asking them and my question was is there some department I should ask to be put threw to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Are sky actively responding to the upsurge in apps such as Netflix, Showbox and hd cinema etc?

Them, coupled with all the various tv boxes, such as sky dreambox etc, they will do well to keeping many nowadays.

Paying them myself for everything bar movies and sports, but I'm constantly asking why when practically everything I'm Watching is available to stream for free, or at least very cheaply.

So basically, my question is, has anyone mentioned any of these apps when giving a reason for cancelling?

toonarmy1 wrote: »
    yes if u have a card you can

What type of card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

So basically, my question is, has anyone mentioned any of these apps when giving a reason for cancelling?
    Just before being passed on to the cancellations department, the CS lady asked me (somewhat snippily) what I'd use for TV instead. I mentioned Netflix and Saorview, and she bluntly asked me if I realised "no one" would be able to help me if they stopped working :rolleyes: They're aware of the alternatives, I'm sure, but not everyone who's a Sky customer would be aware of (or capable of accessing) them.

Sky are trying to offer their own streaming alternatives by integrating on demand to their boxes. They're bulking out the HD sub too (instead of ditching it), by requiring it to access the streaming services. There's catch up TV, box sets (TV and older movies), Sky Store (newer movies) and even "buy & keep" where they post you out a DVD as well as allowing you to watch it through the Sky box. I wonder how much of an uptake there is for the buy & keep model, it seems strange to me -- watch this HD streamed version right now, and we'll post out the SD version of it too!

So they are trying, I suppose. It'd be nicer if they competed openly on price, rather than having to go begging every time your promo is up.

What type of card?
    Any Sky card (Irish sub) whether active or not. If you dont have a Sky card you can ask Setanta to supply you with one under the BAI scheme although I seen others posting that they dont do that now or at least not as often.

Alternatively look on Adverts or Ebay for an expired Irish sub card. Should only cost a few Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

muffler wrote:

We're paying full price now after the excellent half price year from bargain alerts. As we can switch easily to UPC ( I even got a free TV box from them with our BB), I'm wondering what's the best strategy. We wouldn't even lose recordings for the usual stuff as the UPC box can record. We've been paying out of contract including sports and movies for quite a while do wondering about any advantage in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I shouldn't need to say this but getting sky illegally is not a bargain alert so should be no discussion of same.

The title is very clear of the topic, thanks

After canceling sky a few weeks ago, heard noting from them so gave sky a call. 6 minutes on the phone, offered 50% off for 9 months.

Variety, sports and movies and HD.

Happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone got the number to call them on that isn't the 0818 rip off one? Just called and was informed I'd be on hold for ten mins.

Piss off sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

Anyone got the number to call them on that isn't the 0818 rip off one? Just called and was informed I'd be on hold for ten mins.

Piss off sky.

Click free call on this page
    http://skyireland.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/sky-contact-us-dublin/ms-90043614-p-3/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

37 minutes on the phone. 12 month contract, 10months half price sports and entertainment, 6 months free hd and a new box. Sales person gave it to me, didn't have to go to cancelations. Couldnt get the golden pages to work so gonna be expensive on the next phone bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Piss off sky.

Try (01) 419 8686

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

Just finishing a 9 month half price offer. Can't afford full price so rang to cancel and was offered 45% off tv for 10 months then 9 months hd and multiroom @ 50% off. Brought my package down from €113 to €68 I had to sign up to a 12 month contract tho. I am having awful issues with my sky box they refused to give me one but are sending an engineer out to look at mine so hopefully that will sort it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Furzy wrote: »
    Try (01) 419 8686

Does this get ya throught to cancellations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Does this get ya throught to cancellations?

No I tried that number it's a sky number but it's an engineer line or something. They don't talk to you about your account and wouldn't even put me through to someone who could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My 75% off is up next month and my years free evision ends in June and I get charged €10 per month.

Sky offered my the variety pack at 15. 50 or original pack at 7.50 per month on a 12 month contract.

I just wanted to cancel yet it took 45 minutes and he dared offer me career advice, trying to tell me he knew what it was like being out of work bla bla bla 0:)

There was no point paying €10 pm to eircom plus €7.50 to sky for the privilege of sky1 and Atlantic.

I'll see how it goes when my 18 months is up later in the year. Even with the €5 increase I'm still only paying Eircom €45 a month for tv broadband and phone.

I did manage to get the free HD channels activated with eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

Seems to be a trend of 12 month contracts. In 5 years this is the first time it happened me, reminds me of UPC.

Seems to be a trend of 12 month contracts. In 5 years this is the first time it happened me, reminds me of UPC.
    You obviously included HD in the package :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I wouldn't mind a 12 month contract if the offer was good enough to allow it. My tv cuts off on the 17th March so maybe a phone call from them before then.

I'm not in a position to let it cut off because the wife will not be impressed. I'll call them on the 16th March and see what's going.

What's the best rate going for the basic package?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A mate of mine said he seen it going for half price in carphone warehouse last Sunday. That was in the Letterkenny Store but generally the offers are nationally.

I dont see it on their (CPW) website though. Worth a phone call though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

rarnes1 wrote: »

I went to cancel yesterday and they offered it to me for 15 euro to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

Groupon half price for 12 months deal is back.
    http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-b-sky-b-1-2/57470827

boardzz wrote: »
    Groupon half price for 12 months deal is back.
    http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-b-sky-b-1-2/57470827
    Can I avail of this by cancelling my sub and putting it in mrs name.?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Paying €36 euro a month for Sky Sports SD is a disgrace imo,for that money you should be getting Sky Sports HD.

It was the biggest reason I cancelled the sports.

Paying €36 euro a month for Sky Sports SD is a disgrace imo,for that money you should be getting Sky Sports HD.
    Thats the problem I have always had with Sky as its not just €36 you pay, its actually €65 because you have to take the basic TV pack first in order to add the Sports Pack.

Im not too bad in that I have it for half price so the basic pack with sports costs me €32.50 a month. The added bonus is that movies can be added for €4.50 when you're on a half price offer on the sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

squadro wrote: »
    Can I avail of this by cancelling my sub and putting it in mrs name.?

They can cross check bank a/c number so use another if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Furzy wrote: »
    Try (01) 419 8686

Please post thsi to SAYNOTO1890.COM

Advertisement