Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a back-up in safe mode?

Options
  • 06-12-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

This morning my laptop running Vista Ultimate had a "parity error". Not sure what happened, I came across something that said it was a hardware error but this wasn't confirmed.

The sequence where the boot fails:
    Everything is normal right up to the point just before the log-on (where you enter password) screen flashes up. Instead of flashing up the screen goes black and there's no activity as far as I can see.

Anyway, I can boot into Safe Mode, and I've access to all my files.

Ideally I'd like to fix the problem but I don't know how I'd go about this.

Failing a clear solution I'm looking for a way of backing up all my data and then re-installing Vista, and restoring the data.

At this moment I've Drive Image XML running to copy the entire hard drives (RAID0) to an external HD that I had to buy this morning. But I'm not entirely sure if this will work when it comes to reinstalling the data.

Any ideas on where to proceed? Should I attack the original problem or just try a re-install?

Many thanks,
    72oo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

backing up is always a good idea whether there is a problem or not.
    What happens if you turn it on on Monday and all your data is gone.

- Network connection to another PC
    - recordable CD/DVDs depending on how much data you have
    - external hard drive (just happened to have this link in my clipboard from another post ;)) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055428285
    - i have a 2nd,3rd, and 4th hard drive in an old PC that i just have data on. not the best, but i could reformat my c drive every few months without even thinking of backing up data (past copying my documents to another drive)

to fix the problem... hmmmm.
    have you tried system restore ? ive never heard of a parity error now. see what google thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Phoned Dell. The GPU's need to be replaced, guy is coming out Tuesday.

I have no idea how they managed to fail - I was literally doing nothing that could have been stressing them (No OC'ing, No heavy gaming, No blocked vent's). Can't imagine that GPU's are so brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

72hundred wrote: »
    Phoned Dell. The GPU's need to be replaced, guy is coming out Tuesday.

I have no idea how they managed to fail - I was literally doing nothing that could have been stressing them (No OC'ing, No heavy gaming, No blocked vent's). Can't imagine that GPU's are so brittle.

Depends, sounds like bull to me though. Or you got a really bad tech on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Depends, sounds like bull to me though. Or you got a really bad tech on the phone.

What???? I can't make head nor tail of that statement. What are you referring to?

Advertisement