Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iomega Prestige 1 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - €112.90 (inc. delivery) [Pixmania]

Options
  • 26-11-2008 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,830 ✭✭✭✭

Just got this in an e-mail from them... haven't look up reviews but price is definitely right!

l_01454604.jpg
    €99 (excluding shipping of €13.90).
    Iomega's Prestige external hard drive makes storage fast and simple. It's able to hold loads of data, keeping it safe from prying eyes - as well as knocks and bumps. It comes with a 1 TB memory, which is designed to store large files without any trouble. Its USB port ensures information is sent quickly, wherever you happen to be, while its protective aluminium casing prevents the hard drive from overheating, guaranteeing your documents stay in perfect condition. The Prestige is even supplied with a mount to match its exterior, making it an easy, affordable way of protecting your confidential files!

General Information
    - Capacity 1 TB
    - Interface USB 2.0
    - Transfer Rate Up to 480 Mbps (USB 2.0)
    - Size 3.10 x 12.06 x 19.86 cm
    - Weight 975g
    - Required Configuration Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP, Vista
    - Content USB 1.1/2.0 cable, power unit, support
    Shame it doesn't appear to be USB powered! :(

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

At this capacity it definitely wouldn't be usb powered.

Good price seeing as delivery is included. Also, WD elements 1TB in PC World for 120 if you can't wait for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Iomega haven't a great reputation imho, I'd pay a little more for a Seagate/Maxtor and take comfort with the 3 year warranty, I think PC World have them for 139

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

jpfahy wrote: »
    Iomega haven't a great reputation imho, I'd pay a little more for a Seagate/Maxtor and take comfort with the 3 year warranty, I think PC World have them for 139

Yuch.. Seagate, there's a reason Maplins had them going cheap. Click click click.

Anyone know who makes the Hard Drive inside the Iomega?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

actually noticed this week that komplett have pushed up the price of the 1gb western digital elements from 105 to 115 before delivery.

Interesting €10 increase. Wonder has it anything to do with taking advantage of the xmas market?

Good to see other companies are dropping instead of increasing prices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Good price I paid nearly E250 for a 1TB about a year ago. Iomega as well but not the one pictured. Been running perfectly and has traveled halfway around the globe with me with no issues.

I'm tempted to get one of those just as an additional back up for my HDD content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

I too would be reluctant to buy an iomega hard drive, I got two a year ago and neither are in use now. The drive went in one and the USB connection chassis in the other. Then again Ive also been told that iomega dont make their drives and what your getting is seagate or maxtor but I would be more concerned with the enclosure than the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have a 1TB Iomega drive and have had no problems with it. Works a charm and a friends has a smaller drive from them for years.

Luck of the draw I guess with these drives if other people had problems. I know mine is the same enclosure as my friends albeit a bigger version of it but same design and it never has any problems. There are no weird noises like with my older Western Digital 250GB which was a piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

jpfahy wrote: »

Hmmm... they're now an EMC company, so hopefully standards have improved. At least I'd guess now they're using higher quality components.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Fergster

Darn should have read this just created a new thread with the same thing

Sorry
    50905d7b2216bfeccb5b41016357176b.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Alternatively: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=387665
    Freecom 1Tb - 99e, but you can pick it up from Blanch. Save a whopping 13-something euro. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Karoma wrote: »
    Freecom 1Tb - 99e, but you can pick it up from Blanch. Save a whopping 13-something euro. :)
    Komplett charge €8 delivery if you choose to collect it from their pick up point.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=58MM&CategorySelectedId=11026&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11026&InMerch=1
    Another alternative. its about €110 incld delivery but i havent really read any reviews yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Karoma wrote: »

Could I pick it up tomorrow if I ordered today?
    Really need to reinstall this pc and got a lot of pr0n important stuff I'd like to back up first.
    Any recommendations on something I can pick up tomorrow or over the weekend that has similar capacity and isnt a rip off price if not?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

my 2 cents worth: I have just finished salvaging the data from my brothers Iomega USB drive. He was sweating bricks until he started to see the 500+ gigabytes of family phots, scans, old negatives from pre-1900s, coming back off the drive (Hitachi DeskStar). This is the second Iomega USB drive that had died on him, and one they sent him "fresh" from the factory never worked at all - so my totally biassed opinion is to avoid Iomega at all costs.

By the way I used an external USB to IDE drive dongle plus the free "PC Inspector" which is poorly documented but WORKS - slowly, but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, i think I'll just go for a one of those raid one boxes, have experienced to many clunking hdd's in my time and don't want to go through another experience like you mention.
    Anyone know of bargain boxes that do raid one (5 would be great too!)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

That would be nice, something like the drobo+share for a sane price. But it's cheaper to buy two of these drives and use one to backup the other.

Advertisement