Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Orals/Béaltriail Ghaeilge

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

i havent had mine yet...but everyone that had theres today got asked either about the Queens visit,Obamas visit....or about the taoiseach...hes suppose to be nice and ask the basics but he seems to be asking some very awkward qst...fingers crossed he'll be nice once i get in and leave out them kinda of qst :p

best of luck to everyone doing there orals btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mgsg27

By the way they warned us in our school that if you bring your phone in, even if it is turned off it can interfere with the tape recording and if you want to get it re checked in September they might not be able to hear the tape. So it's in your own interest to leave it in your locker or give it to a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

mgsg27 wrote: »
    By the way they warned us in our school that if you bring your phone in, even if it is turned off it can interfere with the tape recording and if you want to get it re checked in September they might not be able to hear the tape. So it's in your own interest to leave it in your locker or give it to a friend.
    Rubbish, they're just scaremongering. Phones cannot generate any signal when they are powered off so there is no way they can interfere with the tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Is it weird that he didn't switch off the tape recorder before saying we were done and thanking me? I was watching and never saw or heard him switch it off. I thanked him in Irish just to be safe but it wasn't like that in my French oral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

Had mine today, I think it went a little too well - as in it was too easy. The hardest question was what will I do at Easter - which was simple. I do honours by the way. Disappointed that I didn't get any módh coinniallach in, or any seanfhocal. Was about to get one of each in but she interrupted me. :mad: And I heard pass ones were asked what they would do if they were principal... :eek: Should we not be asked stuff like that?

Overall I think I seemed very natural, when talking about the county I support I told her that they won yesterday but I didn't know who they were playing (so clearly I hadn't that learned off - or anything else really). :cool: Got my favourite sliocht too and I'm certain I got 30 marks there, I always do any other time I read it because I nearly know it off! :pac:

Wasn't asked anything about what's going on in the news or about the state of the country or the language or anything like that. Starting to worry she thought I was ordinary level even though to me it felt like an ordinary conversation - I didn't make any tense mistakes and nothing else went wrong. Just didn't get to show that I'm actually really good at Irish.

Was aiming for an A1 (both overall and in the oral) 'cause it's my (second) best subject by far, but she kept it really simple so I think maybe I got a B2. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Had mine this morning. I'm in Ordinary Level, but my teacher said I should be in honours, and I'd do well in it too but meh.

The examiner was very friendly, and nice. Sat down, did Sliocht 2, which became a mouthful at times but it was okay. I'm guessing around 20/30 or so.

The comhra was good. This is basically how it went:
    • Tell me about yourself? --- To which I replied the usual family/school rubbish and left it hanging with “...agus ta suim agam sa ceol, agus ta an-suim agam sna heitilean” Which she totally ignored, and went on to.....
    • Ceol, but specifically playing. I talked about the National Band Championships on Saturday in The Helix, playing Sax. in my school band and guitar in church.
    • She then went onto what will I do after school, where I brought it to wanting to do a degree in Maths, and then being a pilot. I left it there because I BADLY wanted to go into that!
    • She asked me about the pilot thing, delighted, and she asked where I got the interest from, and am I saving, and she asked how good my eyesight was :P
    • She went back to music and asked if I do LC Music. I said yes, and she asked about my music practical which I had yesterday. I said I was very nervous for it, and she asked if I was nervous now and I said I was very nervous! She smiled and said I don't look it o.o
    • Then she took it back, and asked me if I liked sport at all, and I jumped on it and said “Nope, I have no interest in sport. When I watch the news I go to the kitchen during sport because I only have an interest in cursai reatha”.
    • So, she asked if I wanted to talk about cursai reatha, and I said “Ta, cinnte” and said that we have problems in Ireland, sure, but when you consider the entire world, esp. Japan and Libya, it’s not as bad here. We're lucky. etc. Got a Seanfhocail in too :D (Is ait an mac an saol)
    • I talked about the earthquake last night, and she said she didn't hear about that, and asked if many people died. I said I hope not and that I'll check tonight. Then we talked about Libya, and she asked if I agreed that it's awful that children there can't go to school or play. So on and so forth.
    • We got back to normal stuff, and she asked what subjects I do in school. I said them all, and asked if I liked German. I said not really, and she asked is it like Irish? I sort of panicked and gave off this ****e about both having tough grammar, but I said I liked speaking the languages more. I got in about the syllabus being very over-the-top with regards to literature.
    • She then said that this was the last question: If I was the principal of the school, what rules would I change?" I laughed and just said "Ahhhh an modh connailocht" and she asked if I was okay to answer it? I said yeah sure, and we talked about the nice atmosphere between the teachers and students, etc. etc.

And that was that. Quite happy with it :)

Michael_E wrote: »
    I'm in Ordinary Level, but my teacher said I should be in honours, and I'd do well in it too

Looking at what you've said she's probably right! But then you'd have a load of extra work so maybe you're better off. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 telephone

Had mine today. Went BRILLIANTLY, so happy with it! Talked about all the usual stuff, and then the education system, problems in ireland today, the government etc. My examiner was really nice. So glad it's over!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

Well I got 98% in my mock Oral for Irish, and i guarantee you it was not marked easily cos loads failed it...BUT the real one was horrible...
    Firstly, Donegal examiner in Waterford...Secondly, She asked the most rediculous questions...
    about tourism and why people come here, what they do...and about festivals, then she proceded to banter on about a load of nonsence :/
    may i add, she asked me like 3 moth coniolachs :/ was terrible tbh...
    hopefully i said enough to get a good A in it though :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aoifem1987

Was wondering if anyone had their Irish Oral in Loreto Foxrock this week? and what they got asked Have mine Friday :(

xEmily2011 wrote: »
    Well I got 98% in my mock Oral for Irish, and i guarantee you it was not marked easily cos loads failed it...BUT the real one was horrible...
    Firstly, Donegal examiner in Waterford...Secondly, She asked the most ridiculous questions...

I got 93% in mine (the mock that is), was shocked because I was so nervous and unprepared. I led it completely the wrong way too. And I answered a few questions and she just looked at me like "is that it?". :(

Asked her after if she marked me really easy but she said no. But then I did a mock last week with another teacher and she gave me a B2 and I was far better than in the first one. :confused: I'm guessing she did mark it easy then... That'd mean I did a good bit worse overall too (under 70% I'd say, rather than 76%). :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Mine was today - I'm SO glad to be finished! I never have to speak Irish again :pac:. I think it was alright, but it's really hard to tell. I got asked the normal questions about school, family, hobbies, what I wanted to do in university etc, and also:

-What did I think about events in Japan?
    -Differences between Junior and Leaving Cert :rolleyes: - had to make it up.
    -What I did at lunchtime (oral was straight after lunch)
    -What I did last Summer
    -Had I been to the Gaeltacht before? - led onto whether I watched TG4
    -Did I enjoy learning Irish/Did I like the Irish course - led onto a MC question on what I'd change about the course if I had the choice
    -When I said I played flute in the school orchestra, she asked what other instruments were played.. I think I said guitar :eek: *cringe*
    -I said Home Ec was my favourite subject, so she asked about the practical work and if I liked cooking.
    -What I was going to do after the oral
    -What I do at the weekend

I can't remember anything else - it's a blur when you're in there tbh. She said I had "gaeilge iontach" at the end so hopefully that's a good sign! I really don't know though. :confused: Examiner was lovely and kept laughing at nodding at what I said... in a good way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I know I should be talking about how my oral went (and it was grand!) but omg, my examiner was so hot :pac: I hadn't met him the first day coz I was out so only saw him at my oral. He was extremely nice too.
    He asked me "cad a deanfaidh tú anocht?" and I just went all red and he laughed at me. But ya, got asked the basics, facebook, school and health system. Had them prepared so happy out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

Violafy wrote: »
    Mine was today - I'm SO glad to be finished! I never have to speak Irish again :pac:. I think it was alright, but it's really hard to tell. I got asked the normal questions about school, family, hobbies, what I wanted to do in university etc, and also:

-What did I think about events in Japan?
    -Differences between Junior and Leaving Cert :rolleyes: - had to make it up.
    -What I did at lunchtime (oral was straight after lunch)
    -What I did last Summer
    -Had I been to the Gaeltacht before? - led onto whether I watched TG4
    -Did I enjoy learning Irish/Did I like the Irish course - led onto a MC question on what I'd change about the course if I had the choice
    -When I said I played flute in the school orchestra, she asked what other instruments were played.. I think I said guitar :eek: *cringe*
    -I said Home Ec was my favourite subject, so she asked about the practical work and if I liked cooking.
    -What I was going to do after the oral
    -What I do at the weekend

I can't remember anything else - it's a blur when you're in there tbh. She said I had "gaeilge iontach" at the end so hopefully that's a good sign! I really don't know though. :confused: Examiner was lovely and kept laughing at nodding at what I said... in a good way!

how on earth did you get through so much...??
    i kept rambling on about the basics and she didnt stop me really.. it was more like a conversation than her asking me questions like those out of the blue! yeh i got my few MC questions.. where i would live if i could live anywhere etc but that was cause we were talking about holidays. and then talking about college she asked a little about whether i was worried about not getting a job cause of the recession etc and what id do if i didnt get one but it really didnt go much further than that?!! and it was over so quickly felt it lasted a minute or two!

Advertisement