Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Orals/Béaltriail Ghaeilge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

We're definitely allowed to bring in our own sliochts and have as much as we want written on them. Anyone able to post any mad things they were asked that they didn't expect, or hadn't prepared? Just curious... :cool: Go n-eirí an t-ádh libh go léir!! :D
    I had mine today. It went quite well I think. My examiner was lovely, clear and easy to talk with.

I did Sliocht 3 and got asked the following

Where do you live?
    Talk to me about your family, where do you originate from?.
    What do you think of your area?
    Are there any social problems in your area?
    What do you want to do after the LC?
    Where do you want to go after the LC (As in for a holiday)?
    What are your past times?
    Who is your favourite artist? - I said MJ and it turned out that my examiner was also an MJ fan. We talked for a few minutes about This is It, the concert and the film and how I had tickets for the concert e.t.c.
    Do you have any interest in the news and world affairs? - I said yes
    What do you think of Libya and the Middle East? - I talked a bit about agoidí and fadhbanna na meanoirthear.
    What do you think of the current government, are they doing a good job?
    What do you think of the current Taoiseach, is he doing better than Brian Cowen?
    Finally, the conversation turned to cars somehow and I talked a bit about how I just got my Learner's permit and how I plan on getting lessons this summer.

It sort of feels anti-climatic now. It really is over-hyped.

Now... Francais!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

I had mine today. It went quite well I think. My examiner was lovely, clear and easy to talk with.

I did Sliocht 3 and got asked the following

Where do you live?
    Talk to me about your family, where do you originate from?.
    What do you think of your area?
    Are there any social problems in your area?
    What do you want to do after the LC?
    Where do you want to go after the LC (As in for a holiday)?
    What are your past times?
    Who is your favourite artist? - I said MJ and it turned out that my examiner was also an MJ fan. We talked for a few minutes about This is It, the concert and the film and how I had tickets for the concert e.t.c.
    Do you have any interest in the news and world affairs? - I said yes
    What do you think of Libya and the Middle East? - I talked a bit about agoidí and fadhbanna na meanoirthear.
    What do you think of the current government, are they doing a good job?
    What do you think of the current Taoiseach, is he doing better than Brian Cowen?
    Finally, the conversation turned to cars somehow and I talked a bit about how I just got my Learner's permit and how I plan on getting lessons this summer.

It sort of feels anti-climatic now. It really is over-hyped.

Now... Francais!

I had my french last Monday and I was 3rd. The examiner commented that the standard in our school was the highest shes ever examined and apparently she has been doing it a long time.

However, I have my Irish Oral next Monday. I got an A2 in my mock one so I'm not too worried about it. Irish is one of my strongest subjects so I feel I should be aiming for the full marks. (I always get 30/30 in my sliocht.)

Because we only have 12 minutes or so to show off as best we can, I was wondering do you have any AMAZING nathanna cainte that I could include in discussing myself and my family, instead of the commonly used boring things. I want to be different and impress them from the beginning. I need this 150 marks and my teacher has told me that I can definitely get it and she's not an easy woman to impress.

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    I had my french last Monday and I was 3rd. The examiner commented that the standard in our school was the highest shes ever examined and apparently she has been doing it a long time.

However, I have my Irish Oral next Monday. I got an A2 in my mock one so I'm not too worried about it. Irish is one of my strongest subjects so I feel I should be aiming for the full marks. (I always get 30/30 in my sliocht.)

Because we only have 12 minutes or so to show off as best we can, I was wondering do you have any AMAZING nathanna cainte that I could include in discussing myself and my family, instead of the commonly used boring things. I want to be different and impress them from the beginning. I need this 150 marks and my teacher has told me that I can definitely get it and she's not an easy woman to impress.

I'm not one to ask... of all my subjects Irish is my weakest.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Irish Oral done a few day's ago was way too easy!

All the usual questions with,

Few slightly tricky questions;
    • Internet , do I use it.
    • What I do on it.
    • Do I download songs.
    • Problems with strange people on the internet.
    • What way I would do to help people if I won alot of money.
    • Do I have my drivers licence already? (seems very topical)
    Got a bit cheeky then and asked him a few questions.
    • He said he was from Cork , I asked him to recommend some accommodation.
    • Asked him his favourite football team while we were talking about sport.
    • I also heard japan got asked alot from people before me, I didn't want a hard question on it so I asked him ,does he think the nuclear danger could spread worldwide?

Bit of advice I put my phone on record before going into the oral room, have the whole conversation on phone let my Irish teacher hear it she was impressed, worth doing to be honest if your not interested in waiting until august to find out how you've done.

Was just wondering why did we talk for a good 3/4 minutes after he stopped the tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Oh I bought tea and biscuits into my examiner to score extra marks :p

not really it was his lunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I never heard of a student recording it before, is that allowed? I'm not doing them this year as am on maternity but usually do.

I never heard of a student recording it before, is that allowed? I'm not doing them this year as am on maternity but usually do.
    Why not? It's hardly going to give them an unfair advantage over anyone else.

Although I doubt the SEC would say yes if you asked them however. That said, if it's not mentioned then the examiner will never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Got a bit cheeky then and asked him a few questions.

Is that not a bad idea seeing as you're meant to be doing the caint? But maybe it shows how well it went that it was just like a normal conversation. :)
    Bit of advice I put my phone on record before going into the oral room, have the whole conversation on phone let my Irish teacher hear it she was impressed, worth doing to be honest if your not interested in waiting until august to find out how you've done.

Thanks for the reminder, my teacher would probably go through it but she'd mark it too easy. She gave me an A1 for my mock one (I hadn't done a tap for it, lead it completely the wrong way, was shaking like a leaf, awkward, and she gave me the impression some of my answers were way too short). Did another 'mock' one the other day with a different teacher who gave me a B2. I want an A1 overall but I'm glad she marked me properly.
    Was just wondering why did we talk for a good 3/4 minutes after he stopped the tape?

That's a good sign! ;)

I hope mine is as nice as the French one - she was always smiling, and super easy on the first ten (ie. me). :D
    Now... Francais!

Ah, bon chance!

Anyone think this will work? :D:p
    31743.likeroo.info/calling-your-irish-oral-examiner-a-ghr-for-extra-marks-.html

And what do ye think of my previous plan to answer the "conas atá tú" ceist using the módh coinnialach (and present tense)? I asked my teacher and she laughed and confirmed that it would probably lead to very hard questions straight away. :eek: I don't want that, I just want to bring it in as much as possible for more marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Just write out some things you could say about yourself in simple English and then translate it into Irish.
    Eg I live in a small town. There are a few shops and a pub. = Tá mé i mo chonaí i mbaile beag. Tá cúpla siopaí ann agus teach tábhairne.

You can use focal.ie as a translator, and if you're worried about grammar you can ask your teacher, or another irish teacher to correct it for you. It's a bit late, though.

There should be sample passages of people talking in your book. If you have Díograis Nua, then it definitely is.
    Good Luck

Will make you wonder next year which student is actually taping you! :P
    Just a little bit of added pressure:D .
    You should really mix up the way you ask the questions for everybody, as teachers getting a hold of these recordings take down the hardest questions asked & give lists to students to learn off!

Example: Every student in my school was given the same internet related question which a teacher heard on the first day & from then on everyone else gave back a perfect answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'm doing pass irish and honours french. My main problem is that I've just done the French oral on Thurs gone, and have my Irish on Tues coming - I'm here talking to myself and drifting into french as I speak that more naturally then irish (Thanks to my ****e Irish teacher who has done roughly -7% oral work over the two years in the LC)

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I'm doing pass irish and honours french. My main problem is that I've just done the French oral on Thurs gone, and have my Irish on Tues coming - I'm here talking to myself and drifting into french as I speak that more naturally then irish (Thanks to my ****e Irish teacher who has done roughly -7% oral work over the two years in the LC)

Qui est penible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

did it during week.
    this is way over hyped i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Don't worry Dave, at the top table so no more actual exams to be done for me but if when listening over the tapes they hear the usual sounds that mobiles interfere with I'd say it'll be reported to the school. The teachers should check no mobiles going in. Also, it's a highly incompetant examiner who does not give different questions, none of my conversations are identical, bar those with very weak students. Best of luck to one and all!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Pretty sure that taping someone without their knowledge / permission is illegal.

Obviously, if you asked the examiner and they said that it was ok, that's different.

sideways83 wrote: »
    did it during week.
    this is way over hyped i think...

That's what I thought about the French, it'll probably be the same for this.
    Pretty sure that taping someone without their knowledge / permission is illegal.

But sure you'll have that! :pac:
    (I joke.)

I'll probably forget to record mine anyway, and even if I do I'll just note the odd questions, any mistakes I may have made, and then delete it. Almost as if it never happened... :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Holly91 wrote: »
    hey guys...im doing ordinary level irish....and to say im dead for my orals is beyond a joke....our teacher hasnt given us any notes...i have tried my best to get some and have most them done...but just wondering does anyone have any good one liners? or a good hobbie i could learn off?
    would be a great help...irish really isnt my best of subjects..:(

also if i just learn basics and have alot to speel off on that do you think that will get me through it? :confused:

Some very useful phrases in this thread.

Oh and Sarah ... small request ... can you stick to the default font colour please? Setting a specific colour can be very annoying for those who use different skins / backgrounds. By sticking to the default colour the system handles these issues automatically, but it can't if you specify the colour font. Thanks.

Oh and Sarah ... small request ... can you stick to the default font colour please? Setting a specific colour can be very annoying for those who use different skins / backgrounds.

Sure thing, sorry, didn't realise. Will do in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

NO NO NO!!!! If your planning to record on your phone , if you bring your phone in it ****s up the signal thing on the examiners tape recoder thing! someone in my school stupidly brought their phone in even though our teacher warned us many times to not the examiner obviously knew then she almost got her test cancelled but the examiner was nice enough to let her re-do it . Dont do the stupid thing of bringing your phone in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Had mine today. It went amazingly :D I love my examiner, he was so nice and made me feel at ease and had a little chat with me before :)
    I got asked almost everything about me, family, area, hobbies, weekend, mornings (which I only studied in the past tense so I had to do a little switching but it worked out well). Turns out he likes astrology too and we had a little chat about our lunches. It was the weirdest Oral ever because it actually felt like a conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

i havent had mine yet...but everyone that had theres today got asked either about the Queens visit,Obamas visit....or about the taoiseach...hes suppose to be nice and ask the basics but he seems to be asking some very awkward qst...fingers crossed he'll be nice once i get in and leave out them kinda of qst :p

best of luck to everyone doing there orals btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mgsg27

By the way they warned us in our school that if you bring your phone in, even if it is turned off it can interfere with the tape recording and if you want to get it re checked in September they might not be able to hear the tape. So it's in your own interest to leave it in your locker or give it to a friend.

mgsg27 wrote: »
    By the way they warned us in our school that if you bring your phone in, even if it is turned off it can interfere with the tape recording and if you want to get it re checked in September they might not be able to hear the tape. So it's in your own interest to leave it in your locker or give it to a friend.
    Rubbish, they're just scaremongering. Phones cannot generate any signal when they are powered off so there is no way they can interfere with the tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Is it weird that he didn't switch off the tape recorder before saying we were done and thanking me? I was watching and never saw or heard him switch it off. I thanked him in Irish just to be safe but it wasn't like that in my French oral.

Had mine today, I think it went a little too well - as in it was too easy. The hardest question was what will I do at Easter - which was simple. I do honours by the way. Disappointed that I didn't get any módh coinniallach in, or any seanfhocal. Was about to get one of each in but she interrupted me. :mad: And I heard pass ones were asked what they would do if they were principal... :eek: Should we not be asked stuff like that?

Overall I think I seemed very natural, when talking about the county I support I told her that they won yesterday but I didn't know who they were playing (so clearly I hadn't that learned off - or anything else really). :cool: Got my favourite sliocht too and I'm certain I got 30 marks there, I always do any other time I read it because I nearly know it off! :pac:

Wasn't asked anything about what's going on in the news or about the state of the country or the language or anything like that. Starting to worry she thought I was ordinary level even though to me it felt like an ordinary conversation - I didn't make any tense mistakes and nothing else went wrong. Just didn't get to show that I'm actually really good at Irish.

Was aiming for an A1 (both overall and in the oral) 'cause it's my (second) best subject by far, but she kept it really simple so I think maybe I got a B2. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Had mine this morning. I'm in Ordinary Level, but my teacher said I should be in honours, and I'd do well in it too but meh.

The examiner was very friendly, and nice. Sat down, did Sliocht 2, which became a mouthful at times but it was okay. I'm guessing around 20/30 or so.

The comhra was good. This is basically how it went:
    • Tell me about yourself? --- To which I replied the usual family/school rubbish and left it hanging with “...agus ta suim agam sa ceol, agus ta an-suim agam sna heitilean” Which she totally ignored, and went on to.....
    • Ceol, but specifically playing. I talked about the National Band Championships on Saturday in The Helix, playing Sax. in my school band and guitar in church.
    • She then went onto what will I do after school, where I brought it to wanting to do a degree in Maths, and then being a pilot. I left it there because I BADLY wanted to go into that!
    • She asked me about the pilot thing, delighted, and she asked where I got the interest from, and am I saving, and she asked how good my eyesight was :P
    • She went back to music and asked if I do LC Music. I said yes, and she asked about my music practical which I had yesterday. I said I was very nervous for it, and she asked if I was nervous now and I said I was very nervous! She smiled and said I don't look it o.o
    • Then she took it back, and asked me if I liked sport at all, and I jumped on it and said “Nope, I have no interest in sport. When I watch the news I go to the kitchen during sport because I only have an interest in cursai reatha”.
    • So, she asked if I wanted to talk about cursai reatha, and I said “Ta, cinnte” and said that we have problems in Ireland, sure, but when you consider the entire world, esp. Japan and Libya, it’s not as bad here. We're lucky. etc. Got a Seanfhocail in too :D (Is ait an mac an saol)
    • I talked about the earthquake last night, and she said she didn't hear about that, and asked if many people died. I said I hope not and that I'll check tonight. Then we talked about Libya, and she asked if I agreed that it's awful that children there can't go to school or play. So on and so forth.
    • We got back to normal stuff, and she asked what subjects I do in school. I said them all, and asked if I liked German. I said not really, and she asked is it like Irish? I sort of panicked and gave off this ****e about both having tough grammar, but I said I liked speaking the languages more. I got in about the syllabus being very over-the-top with regards to literature.
    • She then said that this was the last question: If I was the principal of the school, what rules would I change?" I laughed and just said "Ahhhh an modh connailocht" and she asked if I was okay to answer it? I said yeah sure, and we talked about the nice atmosphere between the teachers and students, etc. etc.

And that was that. Quite happy with it :)

Michael_E wrote: »
    I'm in Ordinary Level, but my teacher said I should be in honours, and I'd do well in it too

Looking at what you've said she's probably right! But then you'd have a load of extra work so maybe you're better off. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 telephone

Had mine today. Went BRILLIANTLY, so happy with it! Talked about all the usual stuff, and then the education system, problems in ireland today, the government etc. My examiner was really nice. So glad it's over!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

Well I got 98% in my mock Oral for Irish, and i guarantee you it was not marked easily cos loads failed it...BUT the real one was horrible...
    Firstly, Donegal examiner in Waterford...Secondly, She asked the most rediculous questions...
    about tourism and why people come here, what they do...and about festivals, then she proceded to banter on about a load of nonsence :/
    may i add, she asked me like 3 moth coniolachs :/ was terrible tbh...
    hopefully i said enough to get a good A in it though :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aoifem1987

Was wondering if anyone had their Irish Oral in Loreto Foxrock this week? and what they got asked Have mine Friday :(

Advertisement