Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your most unique experience

• 03-04-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen the video on here

http://www.nrk.no/viten/skydiver-nearly-struck-by-meteorite-1.11646757

and well the title pretty much gives it away. (if you wanna see the event skip to just after 2 mins)

Anyway it got me thinking what's the rarest or most unlikely event that has ever happened you. If you have pics or footage even better!

Me? Probably seeing the Eurofighter when it was still in development when it flew over me in Spain. Pretty lame but best I can think of right now.

Comments

My first solo flight when I got my private pilots license aged 23.

Scared/Exhilarated/Proud :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Candie wrote: »
    My first solo flight when I got my private pilots license aged 23.

Scared/Exhilarated/Proud :)

Thinly veiled : I'm a pilot ladies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

and they bought it was a meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I was at Anfield the day Javier Mascherano actually scored a goal for Liverpool.

Thinly veiled : I'm a pilot ladies :D

No, I'm a lady pilot.

• Advertisement

I threw a shoe at george bush in iraq but the ducker ****ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I was at Anfield the day Javier Mascherano actually scored a goal for Liverpool.

I was at Anfield the day David Ngog scored a goal! :P

Candie wrote: »
    No, I'm a lady pilot.

I retract my statement and sit in this pretty hole I just dug myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Drove down (passenger) the full length of runway 16 at Dublin airport while towing a DHL A300. No big deal for most, but I loved it :D

Aphex wrote: »
    Drove down (passenger) the full length of runway 16 in Dublin airport while towing a DHL A300. No big deal for most, but I loved it :D

DA has 16 runways :confused:

• Advertisement

I suppose my most unique experience was gettin a 14 week old female Harris hawk and bonding with it enough that on the day I flew her with nothing attached to her that she followed me through the fields and flew back to my hand on command

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

MS.ing wrote: »
    DA has 16 runways :confused:

No, it's called 16 because the heading of the runway is 160 degrees give or take 1 degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Bought one of those leather jackets all the Polish lads do wear.
    Looked like it was the last one in the shop.
    "Any more coming in", I inquired.
    The reply I got was...... "when they are gone, they are gone".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I threw up in 3 different countries in the space of 2 hrs before.

Stag weekend in Belgium, started throwing up in Belgium, puked the whole way on the taxi to Eindhoven airport (Holland) and puked the whole way home on Ryanair until we landed in Dublin.

Good weekend though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

My Mom named me Uniqua so everything I do is naturally unique... uuah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Randomly hanging out with Calle 13 (Multi Latin Grammy Award winners) in their studio while discussing traditional Irish music.

My Mom named me Uniqua so everything I do is naturally unique... uuah

lies jimmy, lies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

A few weeks ago whilst snorkelling down the Gold Coast I saw a poisonous banded sea snake. They are as rare as rocking horse poo in these waters so I dont know if I'll ever sea one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I was in Narnia for a weekend and shot a unicorn. Exhilerating.

this one time at bandcamp...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Sitting beside Eugène Terre'Blanche on a flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Was around 1990, won a competition on Radio 1 to play paintball with Iron Maiden and Thunder, what a class day, the bands, me mates, beer.

Certainly was a prize money couldn't buy, well, unless ya were a gazillionaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I was in anfield!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Sitting beside Eugène Terre'Blanche on a flight.

I'm guessing BO, beard and lack of space would be the summation of that experience. You could have leaned over and gone "So, them ANC boys, great bunch of lads Eug, eh?". Could have been an interesting flight. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Shopping in Liffey Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Living in a bamboo hut in Vietnam,weaving baskets and skinning drums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Once, in college, I pierced myself with 60 needles and then stitched myself to a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I was in band years ago and we won a radio comp and got to open for Bon Jovi in punchestown in front of about 15000 people. Never forget looking out over the crowd and seeing a ferris wheel and reverse bungy thing going off!
    Met razorlight's drummer, kid rock and Bon Jovi (watch them arrive at punchestown by helicopter) and watch the show side Stage.
    Unreal day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

oral sex in a forest

• Advertisement

orangesoda wrote: »
    oral sex in a forest

Isn't that where everyone first does that? I was assured...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Once, in college, I pierced myself with 60 needles and then stitched myself to a wall.

That's fairly impressive, I'd have trouble sewing a button onto a shirt, never mind stiching myself to a wall. And I'm afraid of needles also!

Mind me asking what was the reason for this act of lunacy?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I was in cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I was in cork.

I was in some oak once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Truthishly? But why?

It's true. I went to art college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

a famous American singer songwriter borrowed my guitar one night to play an impromptu session in a local pub back in the 90's. I got him to sign it with permanent marker when he was finished. I still have the guitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Went on a small 2 seater plane in South Africa years ago and saw an albino whale.

The pilot had been flying for over 30 years in that region and had never seen one...he was over the moon...I was hoping he was watching the controls a bit more carefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

After drinking 12 pints of Galway Hooker and devouring a doner kebab I woke up to a surprisingly mild hangover. I 'drew an ace' in the jacks, with a 'winner, all white' on the first pass to clean up, then went outside for a good long walk. Later that evening I won €63 on the Lotto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

a famous American singer songwriter borrowed my guitar one night to play an impromptu session in a local pub back in the 90's. I got him to sign it with permanent marker when he was finished. I still have the guitar.

And now we guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Stood on the Old trafford pitch all on my own and even took some grass as a solvenier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

When I was in primary school..my mum, sister and I drew this mahoosively long banner full of cartoon characters from tv..must have been about five foot long. And we got it shown on the den!
    Had to do a camera panning on cause of the size. That was pretty cool back in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Greyfox wrote: »
    Stood on the Old trafford pitch all on my own and even took some grass as a solvenier

*souvenir

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Was shadowing a Trauma surgeon in Philly a few summers ago.

Young gang member comes into the trauma bay at midnight after being shot multiple times in the abdomen.

He starts to deteriorate quite rapidly while in the bay and decision is made to bring him to OR for an emergency laparotomy.

During the operation he drops his blood pressure and goes into cardiac arrest.

The surgeon opened the guys chest, grabs his heart between his two hands and starts contracting the heart with his hands in order to try and retain some blood flow to the rest of the body.

My job was to try and squeeze the bags of blood into him as fast as I could. Never squeezed as hard in my life.

The resuscitation lasted about 30 mins before we called it quits. Poor guy really didn't stand much of a chance from such injuries.

That was definitely the most amazing, exhilarating and subsequently disappointing experience of my life.

It's the reason I will be starting my hopefully fruitful career as an ED doc this July.

Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Was shadowing a Trauma surgeon in Philly a few summers ago.

Young gang member comes into the trauma bay at midnight after being shot multiple times in the abdomen.

He starts to deteriorate quite rapidly while in the bay and decision is made to bring him to OR for an emergency laparotomy.

During the operation he drops his blood pressure and goes into cardiac arrest.

The surgeon opened the guys chest, grabs his heart between his two hands and starts contracting the heart with his hands in order to try and retain some blood flow to the rest of the body.

My job was to try and squeeze the bags of blood into him as fast as I could. Never squeezed as hard in my life.

The resuscitation lasted about 30 mins before we called it quits. Poor guy really didn't stand much of a chance from such injuries.

That was definitely the most amazing, exhilarating and subsequently disappointing experience of my life.

It's the reason I will be starting my hopefully fruitful career as an ED doc this July.

Can't wait.

jesus christ..

may you have a very long, and successful career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Was on trial for gbh and robbery. Found rightfully innocent. I was just trying to break up a fight but was arrested with the gang of scummers because Id had a few beers. Gaurds didnt want to know. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Performed as a back up dancer in the alternative miss Ireland contest to a packed out Olympia. The standing area at the front seemed so small at the time. Really cool experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Was in November 1989 in Berlin in a café at Checkpoint Charlie (the border station between East and West Berlin) drinking red wine with colleagues after work when it was announced that the Berlin Wall was open.

Then unbelievingly watching (slightly drunk and absolutely stunned) how the people from East Berlin came first reluctantly than enthusiastically across the border, then the very physical reunification (never hugged and kissed that many people in my life) and finally all the pubs and cafés around gave out free drinks. All of Berlin actually.

T'was the biggest party I've ever experienced - and it lasted for several days.

Came home staggering in the morning about 6am to wake up and tell my flatmate that the Wall fell down. She dismissed me as being drunk.

Sure I was, as was all of Berlin, apart from her :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

In November 2011, I (a harmless country chap) found myself in the middle of a field in Guinea/Sierra Leone educating a Russian project manager, in French, on the political situation in Northern Ireland.
    Didn't see that on the college prospectus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Bono?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Saw that asteroid impact on the moon a few months ago maybe think it was (from earth btw), was about 10pm at night and though the rock was small it made a big aul flash and shockwave (not much gravity there) maybe 1/10 of total moon size, heard about it on news next day.

Also seen that big asteroid land off NW coast via car on the M1 back in around '10, lots of green and breaking up in the sky 10 secs duration looked like it was really nearby but +500miles land zone.Seen a few ufos too over the years, pair of those black silent triangle ones in '89 and recently time x3 wee silver ones heading different altitudes/directions at dusk.

AND I don't even look up the sky much nor smoke nor drink the whisky etc...!

~~~

+ met Chris Eubanks once downtown he kept asking where to buy 'cuffinks' (with a lisp) so just for the laugh we kept repeating 'cufflinks? cufflinks?' (with a similar lispy style). He proceeded to march off down the road (on the lines of the road and thus commanding cars to stop/swerve). Heard he drives a tank or something these days so best to 'give way'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement