Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's budget

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

deadhead13 wrote: »
    558,000euro

*chokes* What a joke! Is it correct that he refused to take a pay cut?

For someone that pretends to be a man of the people that is almost priceless. Wonder if his ratings have suffered? Tom Dunne FTW

Yes TG4 translates imported programmes -it has giving a new lease of life to the Irish language. IMO it is culturally the best television station we have

thebman wrote: »
    I think the money in TG4 would be better spent on reforming how we teach Irish so the people on the island can actually understand the programming on the channel.

It is a waste of time at the moment when most people in the country can't speak the language..

Strongly disagree on so many levels - probably TOT for now.

.[/quote]I think RTE's home grown stuff is terrible and they should be reduced to news, political and sports coverage around the country and documentarie which is what they are best at anyway.

The other stuff they do is either crap or availabe on other stations anyway. I don't think we need big name stars in their either not that there are any, they just get the salaries as if they were and RTE force them on us and try to get us to believe they are stars or even charismatic which most of them are not.

A lot of people don't want to subsidise this nonsense and their entertainment wing makes them look less valuable than they actually are TBH.[/quote]

Ya and we should all wear grey, cull music and alcohol :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

pseudonym1 wrote: »

Ya and we should all wear grey, cull music and alcohol :rolleyes:

I'm just going to assume you mean that would be boring or something.

Privately owned channels focus primarily on entertainment. RTE have no business competing with them when funded by the state.

Same way it is wrong for Dublin Bus to try to kill off competition when subsidised by the government.

They are there to provide a service others won't, not to compete for services that others will offer.

I'm just going to assume you mean that would be boring or something.

Privately owned channels focus primarily on entertainment. RTE have no business competing with them when funded by the state.

Same way it is wrong for Dublin Bus to try to kill off competition when subsidised by the government.

They are there to provide a service others won't, not to compete for services that others will offer.

Some folk depend on state funded channels and do not have the luxuary of private owned channels. NTL etc..

Yes competition is healthy but unfortunately it can then become monopolised and even controlled! :(

Yes you assumed correctly! :)

Some folk depend on state funded channels and do not have the luxuary of private owned channels. NTL etc..

Yes competition is healthy but unfortunately it can then become monopolised and even controlled! :(

Yes you assumed correctly! :)

With Digital Terrestrial Television being released later this year, there will be other channels available.

There is also Free to Air Satellite which my father uses on which you can a lot of the best channels available for free once you buy the dish and a box.

On FTA you can get BBC 1-4, ITV 1-4, Channel 4, Film 4, E4 and many others although some of them are crap. All you really miss is the Sky channels although Sky News is FTA. Even some of the music channels are FTA.

It sure beats paying for channels, I'll tell you that much.

• Advertisement

With Digital Terrestrial Television being released later this year, there will be other channels available.

There is also Free to Air Satellite which my father uses on which you can a lot of the best channels available for free once you buy the dish and a box.

On FTA you can get BBC 1-4, ITV 1-4, Channel 4, Film 4, E4 and many others although some of them are crap. All you really miss is the Sky channels although Sky News is FTA. Even some of the music channels are FTA.

It sure beats paying for channels, I'll tell you that much.

Digital terrestrail Tely sounds scary!
    Satellites wouldn't be everyones cup of tea - which brings me back to point some people (Granny rural living outside the pale types) depend on state provoided networks!
    I have no idea of how many - but it seems unfair to exclude them access to the commercail entertainment.

Digital terrestrail Tely sounds scary!
    Satellites wouldn't be everyones cup of tea - which brings me back to point some people (Granny rural living outside the pale types) depend on state provoided networks!
    I have no idea of how many - but it seems unfair to exclude them access to the commercail entertainment.

Well the analog transmission (current broadcasting system) is being shut down in 2012 so unless Grannies don't want TV, they will have to migrate to DTT.

It isn't excluding them from commercial entertainment. They will be able to buy extra channels on the DTT such as Setanta I imagine and some others and they will get more channels standard from DTT as it is much cheaper to broadcast DTT than the current analog transmissions.

Overall RTE aren't good at home grown entertainment so why not let private companies do it. They can't compete at the moment with the state subsidised broadcaster. We have TV3 already and more channels could start up once RTE step out of the market.

Well the analog transmission (current broadcasting system) is being shut down in 2012 so unless Grannies don't want TV, they will have to migrate to DTT.

It isn't excluding them from commercial entertainment. They will be able to buy extra channels on the DTT such as Setanta I imagine and some others and they will get more channels standard from DTT as it is much cheaper to broadcast DTT than the current analog transmissions.

Overall RTE aren't good at home grown entertainment so why not let private companies do it. They can't compete at the moment with the state subsidised broadcaster. We have TV3 already and more channels could start up once RTE step out of the market.

Big brother will be watching then.
    Good poin about the private companies but how and what sort of budget would be distributed. Clould such productions be produced under the umerella of RTE? Would there be benifits of that ? I cannot imagine RTE will step out of the market it inarguably needs to be reinvented and restructured.

Oh and my father is 60 years old, when I told him about FTA and showed him a list of channels he could get for free instead of paying Sky, he went out and bought a FTA box and setup a new bigger dish for it to get better coverage from other satellites and he aligned the dish himself and set it all up.

He's never been happier :D Oh and he lives in the middle of a bog about 6 miles from the nearest form of civilisation so its not just for the pale types :P

I think overall FTA is the way forward. You can even get FTA HD boxes and receive BBC HD for free. Its all about education and on top of all that you get a quality improvement! People should break free from NTL and Sky subscribed TV and hopefully this will help them move toward cheaper and good alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Good poin about the private companies but how and what sort of budget would be distributed. Clould such productions be produced under the umerella of RTE? Would there be benifits of that ? I cannot imagine RTE will step out of the market it inarguably needs to be reinvented and restructured.

When you say 'private companies', do you mean that RTE should ask private production companies to make programs and give them a budget to do so? If so, that's already the way it works. Much of what you see on RTE is made by independent production companies who submit an idea and a costing to RTE and receive a budget if their idea is approved.

My biggest issue with that process is that the folks in RTE often commission some awful rubbish to be made. Considering they get hundreds of submissions every year, it's infuriating that they can't commission some of the better ones. Or indeed, supply the idependent companies with something more substantial than a skeleton budget so they are not forced into cutting corners on production quality.

• Advertisement

Arcee wrote: »
    When you say 'private companies', do you mean that RTE should ask private production companies to make programs and give them a budget to do so? If so, that's already the way it works. Much of what you see on RTE is made by independent production companies who submit an idea and a costing to RTE and receive a budget if their idea is approved.

My biggest issue with that process is that the folks in RTE often commission some awful rubbish to be made. Considering they get hundreds of submissions every year, it's infuriating that they can't commission some of the better ones. Or indeed, supply the idependent companies with something more substantial than a skeleton budget so they are not forced into cutting corners on production quality.

Are there use of facilities etc? How are the budgets discerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Are there use of facilities etc? How are the budgets discerned?

Lets say the independent production company is submitting an idea for a reality tv show or quiz show or something. They'll submit a list of expenses, eg a presenter, all the various camera, sound, production crew they need, post production facilities, editing rooms, voiceovers, graphics for the credits etc and a total cost including their fee as the producers of the show.

If RTE are interested, there's usually some negotiation. They might not like a particular aspect of the show or they may insist that an RTE presenter is used rather than one of the production companies choosing. They may want it to be filmed in RTE studios rather than an other location or they may just say no, it's too expensive, cut corners/re-do the proposal and come back to us.

Eventually the two parties will reach an agreement and the show will get made - on RTE's terms mostly. The whole process often leaves a great idea torn to shreds just so it fits RTE's idea of 'entertainment' but as they're the ones with all the money, if you want to have a job and get paid - you just have to run with it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Not really a political discussion - moved from Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

What i was hoping to find out, (see my OP) does RTE dip into the public purse? Or are their revenues entirely comprised of money gotten from TV Licenses and ad revenue?
    Other posters have dragged this off-topic and the mod's allowed it to go that way.
    The point is RTE's budget, and if they are dipping into the public purse, then it's a political topic.

Lets say the independent production company is submitting an idea for a reality tv show or quiz show or something. They'll submit a list of expenses, eg a presenter, all the various camera, sound, production crew they need, post production facilities, editing rooms, voiceovers, graphics for the credits etc and a total cost including their fee as the producers of the show.

If RTE are interested, there's usually some negotiation. They might not like a particular aspect of the show or they may insist that an RTE presenter is used rather than one of the production companies choosing. They may want it to be filmed in RTE studios rather than an other location or they may just say no, it's too expensive, cut corners/re-do the proposal and come back to us.

Eventually the two parties will reach an agreement and the show will get made - on RTE's terms mostly. The whole process often leaves a great idea torn to shreds just so it fits RTE's idea of 'entertainment' but as they're the ones with all the money, if you want to have a job and get paid - you just have to run with it.

From talking to people that do work for these production companies they pretty much say it is always the same people hired to do the same jobs.

This is why you only get crap out IMO. There is no attempt to introduce new people to it. It is essentially a club for current members.

RTE rather than picking the best ideas, seem to pick the people they know and this isn't what the public pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MattEmulsion

RedPlanet wrote: »
    What i was hoping to find out, (see my OP) does RTE dip into the public purse? Or are their revenues entirely comprised of money gotten from TV Licenses and ad revenue?
    Other posters have dragged this off-topic and the mod's allowed it to go that way.
    The point is RTE's budget, and if they are dipping into the public purse, then it's a political topic.

RTÉ is reliant on Licence Fee and Ad revenue only therefore it is not a polical topic.

TG4 (now independent from RTÉ) get millions from the public purse by way of grants, otherwise if they were relaint on their cut of the licence fee and advertising revenue they wouldn't be able to afford things like Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill - oops I meant to say continue with Ros na Run and all those documentaries. TG4 also get a number of hours per week made for them by RTÉ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TvWatcher

There's no grand conspiracy here. If you want the answers to all your questions why not just go to www.rte.ie/about and read their Annual Report?

You can read it here http://www.rte.ie/about/annualreport.html

In there you will see that, broadly, RTÉ is dual-funded. 44% of income comes from licence fee; the remainder comes exclusively from commercial revenue. There is no other funding route.

Specifically with regard to TV, RTÉ spent 77million euro on programmes commissioned from the indepdent sector in 2007. It's statutory obligation was to spend 30million euro. It exceeded its obligation to the private sector by more than 50%. As such, without RTÉ the independent production sector would collapse as, without a statutory mandate, a private company would have no obligations in this regard (eg TV3).

RTÉ is also not-for-profit. All monies are re-invested. Fair enough, you don't like x or y programme, but I don't see that as a sound basis for advocating the removal of Public Service Broadcasting as a model.

RTÉ is required, by legislation* to operate as a Public Service on behalf of the people of Ireland: this includes operating two TV channels (with minimum statutory commitments to news and current affairs, regional output, Irish language output, young people's programming, multi-cultural programming, arts, factual and entertainment; subtitling, access services, teletext, 10% content to TG4, Sport); 4 radio channels (Radio 1, 2fm, Lyric (Limerick) and R na G(Galway)), 6 digital radio channels (RTÉ is also charged by law with the maintenance and development of a digital radio hub for use by all the peoples of Ireland); performing groups (the National Symphony Orchestra, the RTÉ Concert Orchestra, the Van Brugh Quarter, RTÉ Philharmonic and Cor na Nog); RTÉ Publishing (incorporating RTÉ.ie with requirements in law to develop a web-tv platform, and the RTE Guide, as well as a range of books, DVDs, cds etc, www.rte.ie/shop); and RTÉ Networks Limited which is charged, by law, to maintain and develop Ireland's broadcasting infrastructure, an infrastucture used by all independent radios, by Gardai, by emergency services, and by TV3. RTÉ also operates a range of regional radio and TV studios (Cork, Galway, Limerick, Sligo, Letterkenny etc), a studio in Belfast and a news bureau in London.

RTÉ is also mandated by law to fund Ireland's transferral to DTT and the analogue switch-off (2012); it is mandated by law to fund the diaspora channel RTÉ International; it is mandated to run the Supporting the Arts scheme and is instituted on the board of the Irish Film Board and the Broadcasting Commision of Ireland (soon to the the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland).

RTÉ also donates 7.5% of its licence fee to the BCI Sound and Vision Fund, which funds programmes on Today FM and TV3, for example (so it is inaccuraute to say these outfits are purely commercially funded -- they are also funded by you.)

RTÉ is obliged to act as a corporate arts sponsor (Dublin Theatre Festival, Beckett Centenary etc).

RTÉ is also charged with maintaining and exploiting the National Audio-Visual Archive. To do this it runs a full restoration and storage unit off-site at Furze Road, Dublin. The riches and importance of this archive, going back to the foundation of 2RN in the 1920s, is inestimable.

The license fee, and commercial income, is spread across this very substantial diversity of activities. All these activities are instituted in law.

If you want to know what RTÉ is doing with your money this year you can look at the 2009 Strategic Plan here http://www.rte.ie/about/policies.html. The BBC have similar pages.

You could also look at the Statement of Commitments 2009 here http://www.rte.ie/about/statement.html. Again, the BBC operate by similar principles.

As someone who works in the area of Corporate Social Responsibility I take a nerdish interest in these matters (you don't say ...)

My point I suppose is that all the information people are looking for in this thread is available, freely, to all of us. There's no mystery. Whether, after all that, you like The Afternoon Show or think it's a pile of crap is part of the colourful debate that is Boards.ie

*(further provisions and PSB obligations will be instituted when the new Broadcasting Bill becomes law, see http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?) fn=/documents/bills28/bills/2008/2908/document1.htm)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jimmmy wrote: »
    Heard on the radio Gerry Ryan is at last taking a pay cut. About time. He is paid more than the p.m of the UK, or the President of the USA or UK. It was a bit rich listening to him bragging about his many and frequent trips to Dromoland Castle, America etc first class all the way, when the rest of us work longer and harder for much less.

jealousy is a bitch, if i was offered €1 million to do **** all i'd take it, you expect Ryan to turn down his contract or take a cut because the country is in bits?

if i was him i'd only take a cut if the tv licence took a cut

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I disagree - FWIW TnaG is probably station I would watch most - BTW not fleunt in Gailge.
    Same as that, I don't speak much Irish but it's easy to recognise TNaG put the effort in. You can tell the people working there believe in what their doing and want to make it work. There are many homegrown shows on it that whip fair citys ass up and down the street, simply on production values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MattEmulsion

ScumLord wrote: »
    Same as that, I don't speak much Irish but it's easy to recognise TNaG put the effort in. You can tell the people working there believe in what their doing and want to make it work. There are many homegrown shows on it that whip fair citys ass up and down the street, simply on production values.

TG4 get about €30m directly form the exchequer + a cut of the licence fee + Sound and Vision funding + ad revenue + several hours of free programming per week from RTÉ. I'd believe in what I was doing with that pot of cash open to me as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Fair point. This happens a lot and it's why we get sanitised, safe and unoriginal programming. You rarely see anything that pushes the envelope or takes a risk because they're afraid of their own shadow.

Wheels wrote: »
    Fair point. This happens a lot and it's why we get sanitised, safe and unoriginal programming. You rarely see anything that pushes the envelope or takes a risk because they're afraid of their own shadow.

Exactly, we get the same faces and the same recycled ideas dressed up in new colours.

RTE need to put more money into fewer programs rather than spreading themselves so thinly as all they've ended up with is crap as a result in a lot of cases.

Above all we need new talent. RTE should be bringing up the new and talented faces in Ireland, not recycling the same people over and over especially those that were never any good to begin with. Most of their comedy comes from a very small circle of people for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

This post has been deleted.

Not counting imports, I've watched more on TG4 in the last month than RTE.
    and I don't watch TG4 much.

Actually, given I watch imports on pretty much any station other than RTE (due to their inability to schedule programs), about the only thing left I ever watch is the rugby. And occasionally the news.
    faceman wrote: »
    If he takes a pay cut there is nothing to stop another station here or abroad snapping him.

Apart from his utter lack of talent.

Advertisement