Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's budget

Options
  • 09-03-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

According to an article in this weekend's Irish Times, RTE are looking at a budget shortfall of 68 million euro.
    This is due to loss of ad revenue.
    The article claimed this is about 15% of RTE's budget.
    I'm crap a math so if 68million = 15% does this mean that RTE has a budget of almost 400 million?
    If so, i think that is outrageous.
    I know there's been a bit of publicity regarding RTE "stars" taking a paycut of 10% :rolleyes: but seriously, do we need to bankroll a media corporation?

Personally, my own contempt for RTE (and the TV License requirement) has seen me getting rid of my TV altogether.
    I really don't like the idea of bankrolling them.
    Does the rest of RTE's budget come exclusively from the TV License? Or do they have their fingers in the public purse too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Personally, my own contempt for RTE (and the TV License requirement) has seen me getting rid of my TV altogether.

fair play , in this day and age it is an outrageous transfer of wealth from the working class to the luvvies. , I doubt if any RTE pesonality would make it on UK local radio yet they command high 6 figure salaries here.
    It is as simple as we cant afford the luxury of it , privatise it and let the remains continue funded by advertising.
    The free market could have killed this pig years ago.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I'd like to know how much cash they blew advertising the Lucy Kennedy show alone, there where ads everywhere and quite frankly the show was dire.

Also heard they sold off their fleet of 4x4s for a song and some slick fella from mayo bought them and sold em to farmers at a good mark-up when their grant came up :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The licence fee contributes 44% of RTE's overall budget, commercial revenue making up the remainder. As a reluctant licence fee payer I am unimpressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The only thing I'd miss if RTE were closed down tomorrow would be the independant news and current affairs section. They're the only section of worth in the entire organisation. They could be better, but I feel it's important that we have a state broadcaster in that area that has funding and remains independant of government and commercial interference to honestly and completely report the news and important issues.

They really shouldn't be involved in entertainment - there's already hundreds of channels fulfilling that need and it makes no difference whether you watch Grays Anatomy or Lost on a channel branded RTE, BBC or Sky. 'Home grown' entertainment programming is bloody depressing in it's amatuerness. If a program with Irish actors directed specifically at an Irish audience was any good, it could just as easily be picked up by any of the commercial networks. Father ted, anyone?

Seriously. Get rid of it. It's a waste of money - whether we're rolling in it or experiencing harder times - and useless in the most specific use of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

silverharp wrote: »
    fair play , in this day and age it is an outrageous transfer of wealth from the working class to the luvvies. , I doubt if any RTE pesonality would make it on UK local radio yet they command high 6 figure salaries here.
    It is as simple as we cant afford the luxury of it , privatise it and let the remains continue funded by advertising.
    The free market could have killed this pig years ago.

Your opinion on TnaG and RnaG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

A reasonable compromise in my mind would be axing daytime programming and imports.
    Moriarty wrote: »
    Seriously. Get rid of it. It's a waste of money - whether we're rolling in it or experiencing harder times - and useless in the most specific use of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I completely agree it is an outrageous budget! A prime example of lavish funding producing FA. We do it so well in this country

However, it is important we have a state brodcasting that remains impartial. It has produced some wonderful documentrys (Prime time) and is an opportunity for young actors directors etc. While the majority homegrown soaps are woeful there have been 1 or 2 that have been good (pure mule) Presenters that deserve credit are Muriam O Callaghan - that is the only one perhaps!

AFAIK RTE remains old school boys club lots of undeserving over paid top jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    AFAIK RTE remains old school boys club lots of undeserving over paid top jobs.

You're right. The worst thing about it is that people scrutinise every penny that is spent on health, education, ministers trips abroad and no one ever seems to pick up on the massive waste of money in RTE. Of course, the media reporting on the mismanagement of funds is hardly going to be broadcast on the 9 o'clock news is it?

The root of the problem though is the management team in RTE. Hundreds of creative, unique proposals for tv shows are submitted to them every year by independent production companies looking for funding. I've been lucky enough to see some samples of these and am honestly impressed at the quality out there. What I find seriously frustrating is that the commissioning editors in RTE are not allocating budgets for these shows to be made but are instead throwing their money at the same tired old formats, internal RTE productions and anything featuring RTE lovies like Charlie Bird, Lucy Kennedy, Ryan Tubridy and Gerry Ryan.

Where's the public consultation? Where do we get a say in how our money is spent? Why can RTE not release some of these great submissions to the public and ask them to vote for their favorite idea? Or at least to a test group?

Gah, now I'm annoyed :(:( /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭SeanW

nesf wrote: »
    100% waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

SeanW wrote: »
    100% waste of money.

Why?

Edit: I should state something of what I think really. A common standpoint for most economic liberals is that the State should provide services that the market won't but that are in the public interest to have. TnaG especially would not be feasible as a commercial venture. So if we agree that an Irish language broadcaster is a good thing culturally etc then it would make sense for the State to fund it, though obviously it would not rank as a high priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Isn't the BBC funded by British licence payers, or do you just make sure you only listen to BBC stations that are comercially profitable?

I tend to agree that the licence should be used to encourage home-grown stuff, and that the imports should be left to the other commercial channels to import.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

SeanW wrote: »
    100% waste of money.

I disagree - FWIW TnaG is probably station I would watch most - BTW not fleunt in Gailge.
    karen3212 wrote: »
    I tend to agree that the licence should be used to encourage home-grown stuff, and that the imports should be left to the other commercial channels to import.

Yes and No - probably wouldnt be very commercially viable. There are many folk who watch TVfor souly these programmes. Ought to be a decent balance and as Acree stated an imput from the public not the nitwits we are sick to death of looking at!

Can they exist on advertising or community funding? if not close it down. You would be surprised, if there is any real demand the gap might be filled by an internet radio station or TV station that could be run for a fraction of the cost and might tap community energy in a way that wouldnt happen under the current structure.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Bottom line:

RTE as the Public Service Broadcaster, is a given, no point in saying close it down or the other "arms" TnaG.
    An independent voice and viewpoint is needed and RTE ,taken in the round is to be fair, quite good.

What's the problem?

Cost is the problem, costs way way too much for the size of the state and the target audience,

Far too many fat snouts in the trough out there,swilling deeply from the public mealbag.

That's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Heard on the radio Gerry Ryan is at last taking a pay cut. About time. He is paid more than the p.m of the UK, or the President of the USA or UK. It was a bit rich listening to him bragging about his many and frequent trips to Dromoland Castle, America etc first class all the way, when the rest of us work longer and harder for much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

There's actually some really good documentaries as Gaeilge on TG4. There was an excellent one on Irish cadets who were at JFK's funeral, and another recently about Burke and Will's expedition in Australia. I'll get over them having so many imported shows if they're pulling in the advertisers, and letting them continue making their own good programmes. Ideally it would be great if they didn't have to do this of course. I've way more of a problem with the amount of absolute rubbish on RTE - at least TG4 get in some decent American trash!

Bottom line:

RTE as the Public Service Broadcaster, is a given, no point in saying close it down or the other "arms" TnaG.
    An independent voice and viewpoint is needed and RTE ,taken in the round is to be fair, quite good.

The only given is that RTE will continue in its wasteful ways that I have no doubt of. What does Public Service broadcaster even mean ?, how do you measure it? , what are the costs? , what are the unintended consequenses? Does it mean the same thing in 1970 as it does in 2009 with the internet, cable TV etc.?
    In reality it is just one of the many state organisations in this country that have made us less competetive then our neighbours, and in the current economic situation is a drag on the economy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

jimmmy wrote: »
    Heard on the radio Gerry Ryan is at last taking a pay cut. About time. He is paid more than the p.m of the UK, or the President of the USA or UK. It was a bit rich listening to him bragging about his many and frequent trips to Dromoland Castle, America etc first class all the way, when the rest of us work longer and harder for much less.

As much as a I despise Gerry Ryan and his show, I didn't feel he should feel obliged to take a pay cut. What is it an the end of the day, a sentimental gesture to show his solidarity with the rest of the nation? He works in the entertainment industry, where his fee is dictated by his popularity. If he takes a pay cut there is nothing to stop another station here or abroad snapping him. As I said, I cant stand his program, but if we want to target the overpaid there are far bigger fish to fry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Someone mentioned rte's budget as being large .
    BBC's budget is £4.3 billion :eek: ,They have no ads either:eek:

TnaG is a marvellous station and a credit to all involved.

faceman wrote: »
    He works in the entertainment industry, where his fee is dictated by his popularity. If he takes a pay cut there is nothing to stop another station here or abroad snapping him.

No way, he earns an economic rent because you can go to jail if you dont pay your hard earned over. The point is he doesnt have a market outside of RTE. No doubt TV3 might pay him a 100K a year so that is probably closer to his real worth. The point is there is no price discovery in RTE , they are simply given a budget and they go and spend it , value for money is not a concept that they have to deal with

Why?

Edit: I should state something of what I think really. A common standpoint for most economic liberals is that the State should provide services that the market won't but that are in the public interest to have. TnaG especially would not be feasible as a commercial venture. So if we agree that an Irish language broadcaster is a good thing culturally etc then it would make sense for the State to fund it, though obviously it would not rank as a high priority.

Not many people here obviously watch TG4 as it hasn't been called T na G for nearly 10 years now, fair point tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

silverharp wrote: »
    No way, he earns an economic rent because you can go to jail if you dont pay your hard earned over. The point is he doesnt have a market outside of RTE. No doubt TV3 might pay him a 100K a year so that is probably closer to his real worth. The point is there is no price discovery in RTE , they are simply given a budget and they go and spend it , value for money is not a concept that they have to deal with

Whats his salary out of curiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

558,000euro

Whats his salary out of curiosity?

Used to be €558,900 EDIT Deadhead13 beat me to it!!

Can't find what it is after paycut, is he taking the standard 10% cut?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0310/ryang.html Typical RTÉ, report the news in a selective fashion-no mention of what he actually earns in their poor report.

holy cabbages, I didnt realise it was that much! :eek:

I take my original comment back!

holy cabbages, I didnt realise it was that much! :eek:

I take my original comment back!

Cos anyone who is so sloppy to eat toast while talking on a morning radio show deserves that salary.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think the money in TG4 would be better spent on reforming how we teach Irish so the people on the island can actually understand the programming on the channel.

It is a waste of time at the moment when most people in the country can't speak the language.

I think RTE's home grown stuff is terrible and they should be reduced to news, political and sports coverage around the country and documentarie which is what they are best at anyway.

The other stuff they do is either crap or availabe on other stations anyway. I don't think we need big name stars in their either not that there are any, they just get the salaries as if they were and RTE force them on us and try to get us to believe they are stars or even charismatic which most of them are not.

A lot of people don't want to subsidise this nonsense and their entertainment wing makes them look less valuable than they actually are TBH.

Advertisement