Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the blue book

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Pillar guided Dublin to some great wins in the last few years.

Arguably he did, but never when it really mattered or against a top team. Lets put some things into perspective, Leinster football is in the doldrums, the last time a provincial team competed in an AI final was in 2001(which they lost!). Without doubt it has been over the last decade, by far the weakest football province in the country in terms of AI wins and appearances. Dublin's 4 in-a-row Leinsters must be set in that background, quite frankly it was[and is] a very bleak period of provincial football with no other top quality teams around.

Ultimately, Dublin should be competing in and even winning AI titles, but we haven't now since '95 and don't look like we will anytime soon. Of course this isn't all Pillar's fault, afterall it's not his fault that he wasn't up to the job. Ultimately it would appear to be more of a mental weakness thing within Dublin teams. When the chips are really down and you need men to stand up and be counted what do Dublin do? Usually hide in the corner before rolling over and dying! Anybody who disagrees with this can just look at Dublin's results and performances over the past 5-6 years or longer in Big matches at the business end of the Championship. [only exception to this that springs to mind was Kerry SF last year, but even that we lost!]

I have already said that I've no problem with Pillar doing his job, ffs the man has to earn a crust! My point is that if it was so important for him to do overtime at Croker on Sunday, well maybe he could have had a chat with his superior and asked for a less visible posting in the cirsumstances. I can only conclude that he actually wanted to be in that position. In my opinion (obviously not shared by many others on this forum-although strangely has been picked up on by many of my acquaintances from the bogs of Ireland who found it hillarious- some of their politer comments were along the lines that it is the closest a Dub is going to get to Sam,etc) allowing himself be put in the situation where he was protecting the Tyrone lads in such a servile way was highly embarrassing. And to be fair, there is absolutely no way you would see an ex-Kerry (or most other serious Counties)manager in that position!

I think the sooner we get rid of gimmicks like the blue book and start concentrating on building mental toughness and moreover a genuine winning mentality the better.

[Mods: I hope this is suffiently toned down? I agree the thai lady-boy comment was a bit harsh, so it's really a good job that I didn't post anything on Black Saturday 16/08/08 so!]

Advertisement