Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Football Penn St/UCF Game confirmed 2014 in Croker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Really has turned out to be one of the biggest and most intriguing match-ups of week one. We'll copper-fasten our connections as college football hosts if this one goes off well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Syferus wrote: »
    Really has turned out to be one of the biggest and most intriguing match-ups of week one. We'll copper-fasten our connections as college football hosts if this one goes off well.

Yeah, let's hope it gets a good turn out. Croke Park is huge so it's going to be hard to fill the place. It won't look good if there are empty seats all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Yeah, let's hope it gets a good turn out. Croke Park is huge so it's going to be hard to fill the place. It won't look good if there are empty seats all over the place.

Well if you check out ticketmaster there are large numbers of seats already sold. Id be very surprised if there are large numbers of empty seats

D3PO wrote: »
    Well if you check out ticketmaster there are large numbers of seats already sold. Id be very surprised if there are large numbers of empty seats

Are they sold or are they just reserved for Americans that are expected to travel as part of packages etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

It would be great to fill the stadium and encourage more teams to come over in the future, and who knows, maybe even the NFL will sit up and take notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Are they sold or are they just reserved for Americans that are expected to travel as part of packages etc?

I'd say a lot are already sold, I know I have mine anyway :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

bruschi wrote: »
    Got 2 tickets for this for Christmas, but cant make it now due to unforseen circumstances.

If anyone is interested in taking them off me for face value (€88, lower Hogan) then send me a PM.

Gutted I cant go. Was really looking forward to this one.

these tickets are still available if anyone is looking to get some. €88 for the pair, face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

They've announced a high school game to be held in the UCD Bowl the day before the Croker game, featuring two Pennsylvanian high schools. Will there be more high school games being held around the country similar to what we had when Notre Dame and Navy were over?
    UCD IS SET to host a Global American Football tournament this summer in conjunction with the upcoming Croke Park Classic.
    The Penn Manor Comets and Cedar Cliff Colts — two teams from Pennsylvania — are set to face each other on 29 August at 7pm in the Belfield Bowl, with both sides being granted use of the university’s facilities in the week prior to the game.
    The sides last met in the first round of the 2013 Pennsylvania State High School playoffs, with a dramatic comeback inspiring a narrow 35-34 victory for Penn Manor.
    The game takes place one day before the hotly anticipated Croke Park Classic encounter between UCF and Penn State.

From thescore.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

@barrycahilldub: "Croker looking well this morning with American Football set-up. Game in August should be good."

849785793.jpg?1398337653

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

My brother has selfishly decided to get married down in the arsehole of Wicklow on the 30th of August, so I won't be able to make this. Bollocks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any idea on how ticket sales are progressing for this?

Also, who are the main/key players from each side? Two teams I know relatively little about to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    Any idea on how ticket sales are progressing for this?

Also, who are the main/key players from each side? Two teams I know relatively little about to be honest.

Christian Hackenberg is the Penn St. QB. He was a 5 star recruit last year and started all 12 games as a true freshman. He had a solid 1st year and I expect him to build on it this year and next to become a 1st round selection in the 2016 NFL draft.

He had committed before the NCAA sanctions for the Sandusky abuse scandal were revealed but decided to stay committed

He is a 6ft4 pocket passer but has more than adequate athleticism. Really excited to see him play in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭spillit67

padraig_f wrote: »
    @barrycahilldub: "Croker looking well this morning with American Football set-up. Game in August should be good."

849785793.jpg?1398337653

Ludicrous location for this game. The field is far too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

spillit67 wrote: »
    Ludicrous location for this game. The field is far too big.

Could come in handy

While it will be a pain being so far back from the action, remember a sliotar can be followed quite easily at Croke Park so I don't think there'll be too many issues with keeping up with the action.

Despite being an Orlando based team, on a recent trip there I didn't see too much merchandise for UCF on sale (loads of stuff for the U and Florida State) but I did pick up a nice tee that will do for the day.

I've been to AF games all over the place, this is much too far away. Nothing to do with seeing the ball (though I imagine at least the first 10 rows of the lower tier will be closed off), just not a great spectacle or atmosphere.

I've been to AF games all over the place, this is much too far away. Nothing to do with seeing the ball (though I imagine at least the first 10 rows of the lower tier will be closed off), just not a great spectacle or atmosphere.

The stadium probably won't be full either which won't help the atmosphere either.

The stadium probably won't be full either which won't help the atmosphere either.

It shouldn't be in CP. The Aviva would have been great. I wonder how much the GAA are on the hook for it. I think if they are in trouble they'll go to their member clubs and look to flog them at discounts.

The GAA saw the success of two years ago and got $$$ signs. I believe a lot of UCF fans who would have travelled splurged on the Fiesta Bowl, which is just unlucky. I do hope this does well though.

It would be great to fill the stadium and encourage more teams to come over in the future, and who knows, maybe even the NFL will sit up and take notice.

I honestly think the NFL is a lost cause for a few years. They're determined with their London strategy. It's a mistake imo but they seem to think it's a winner.

Actually I see they're doing the Tailgate at Temple Bar again. That was excellent last time. Everyone drinking cans and the Gards didn't do anything because everyone was being treated like a Yank and they wanted to keep them sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It shouldn't be in CP. The Aviva would have been great. I wonder how much the GAA are on the hook for it. I think if they are in trouble they'll go to their member clubs and look to flog them at discounts.

The GAA saw the success of two years ago and got $$$ signs. I believe a lot of UCF fans who would have travelled splurged on the Fiesta Bowl, which is just unlucky. I do hope this does well though.

Anything above 50k is enough to make it an Aviva-beating success.

Fair play to Croke Park for stealing a march.

Syferus wrote: »
    Anything above 50k is enough to make it an Aviva-beating success.

Fair play to Croke Park for stealing a march.

No it isn't. They could have sold a lot more Aviva tickets if there was the capacity. A stadium 5/8 full does not look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hey, does anyone know how decent the view for the Hill will be? I can't afford anything other than the €20 tickets, but really want to go. I assume that's no seating or something? Excuse my ignorance I've never been to Croke Park...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hey, does anyone know how decent the view for the Hill will be? I can't afford anything other than the €20 tickets, but really want to go. I assume that's no seating or something? Excuse my ignorance I've never been to Croke Park...

It's alright. Go in early so you can get a spot higher up, my preference would be up at the corner, I think you get a decent view there. If you're behind the goal you'll see shag all. Haven't been on the Hill in nearly ten years myself though, hate the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭deisedude

Terrace behind the goals so no seating. When the action is at the other side of the pitch it wont be a great view but its ok. I'll be on the hill for the match

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cheers thanks guys. I know for €20 you're not going to get to see everything but the atmosphere and the experience should be cool! I was at the US Open tennis a couple of years ago up in the gods of Arthur Ashe (what feels like a mile away from the court!) and even though it was tough to see just being there was great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Tickets came yesterday, looking forward to it now.

Benimar wrote: »
    Tickets came yesterday, looking forward to it now.

Mine too! Have my UCF tshirt as well so I'm all set

Just wondering what the tail gate party is like from people who were there in previous years? Is it worth heading into? And is it just for ticket holders or the general public?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

this isnt a GAA event, so it wont be on the hook for anything, nor will they be flogging tickets to clubs. It was a marketing exercise and the operators of the game will be the ones on the hook for anything. The GAA rented out a venue, at presumably a fixed cost, and thats about it. If they sold 10,000 or 80,000 it wouldnt effect them, the promoters of the event just have their margin adjusted accordingly. I'm sure the Aviva was also considered, but have to assume that the promoters of the vent saw the higher capacity of Croke Park and thought they could get more on the additional 30,000 capacity available.

Advertisement