Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's considered good bhp

• 23-08-2014 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

As above what is considered decent bhp?
    My own opinion is 150-200 bhp.
    I know you can get a lot of car's with more but that range above is good performance, so I think anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Power to weight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

dgt wrote: »

e=mc²

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

bout tree fiddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sure some TDi's I drove have 110 bhp and I didn't consider them slow. Don't know what they weighed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i agree.

i had 130bhp in my starlet and it was nippy as ****. i had the same in the vectra and it was very sluggish.

i think they say the "minimum requirement" for fun is 100bhp per tonne isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

A good example. This 325 has about a 100bhp advantage over the Seicento, which weighs about 700kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ya entirely depends on the cars size/weight, Mondeo's 125 is great, even the 90 in the Focus ain't too shabby, the pin moves up fairly lively. Now only if I had 125 in the focus......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

It's very true what other posters said about power to weight but IMO 200+ is the minimum before you can even start calling a car nippy, and that would be in the like of an old light jap car etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd like more than 180 in my s80. Another 50 maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Have 220 in the 530 and it used to seem nippy. You become used to it like anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'd like more than 180 in my s80. Another 50 maybe.

Theres some serious speed in an S80 with 180BHP

i was very happy with the S80 with the power it had even with my one having an automatic gearbox, still plenty of power and speed from a 2L !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

My 1980 Mk.1 Golf GTI had 110 bhp back in the day and it was a right little black rocket. (Didn't have the brakes to match though) and recently I had a 2011 VW Jetta with 105 bhp and it was pretty leisurely.

Have an Audi A3 Saloon 1.4 petrol with 138 bhp and it feels pretty fast and is a pleasure to drive it on a bit occasionally.

The bhp no. is only half the story. weight/power ratio plus the gearing and maybe aerodynamics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

This. 100 bhp in a beetle (~800kgs and RWD) is a lot of fun. In a Golf it's just meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

How much is enough is a bit complicated. Power to weight has to be the figure used for any comparison - a 125 bhp Caterham is going to be a whole pile faster than a 150 bhp Golf because of the better power to weight ratio.

After that though it depends on what kind of driving experience you want and how often you want to experience it. A 450 bhp sports car is going to be great fun on a track, but your opportunities to make use of that power in the real world will be limited: the speeds you need to achieve to enjoy the car are too high for most roads.

Which brings me neatly to the idea of grip and traction. There's an increasing argument to be made for bringing grip down to allow more fun at lower speeds and lower power levels. James May made the point well when he compared the Caterham R600 to the new 160 model: the R600 was dynamite on a track but just not that much use in the real world. Chris Harris found something similar when he put 4 spacesavers on a Merc C63 AMG and hooned it around a track: the stupidly low grip made it a lot more fun.

For normal driving in the real world, I reckon something around 100-150 bhp/tonne is probably the usable limit. More than that is nice, but you're heading into diminishing returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

IMG_0078.jpg

This was the coolest car in the 80's: 112 bhp, 0-60 in 8.4 sec. Around 115 mph max (Aerodynamics of a load of bales)

Pretty economic if driven reasonably, around 35mpg overall.

Serious fun to drive though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Keith186 wrote: »
    e=mc²

That's not exactly relevant here. ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Theres some serious speed in an S80 with 180BHP

i was very happy with the S80 with the power it had even with my one having an automatic gearbox, still plenty of power and speed from a 2L !

Would tend to disagree tbh, by no means a fast car and my S60 weighs even less, plus manual gearing is too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

As above what is considered decent bhp?
    My own opinion is 150-200 bhp.
    I know you can get a lot of car's with more but that range above is good performance, so I think anyway.

I drove a 1988 ford F350 with a 188bhp 7.3 litre engine in a 3 ton truck.
    BHP aint everything laaad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Would tend to disagree tbh, by no means a fast car and my S60 weighs even less, plus manual gearing is too long.

It's quick by irish standards, if you're used to sh!tty cars then 180bhp in a car that weighs a house is still quick.
    In the real world though it isn't fast at all. Fast IMO is a sub 7 seconds 0-60. Sub 5 seconds would be epicly fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

That's strange tbh.... i mean i got mine upto about 145-150mph according to the speedo a few times

The thing was about the s80 was it never felt fast but it actually was , it just never felt it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

That's strange tbh.... i mean i got mine upto about 145-150mph according to the speedo a few times

The thing was about the s80 was it never felt fast but it actually was , it just never felt it

Top speed 9nly has a limited bearing on acceleration which is really what it's all about.

8 to 60 is adequate. 6 and below is fast. Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I often wonder what's the bloody point in Ireland. I was travelling behind a Skoda VRS recently and you could feel the frustration of the driver. All that power and literally nowhere to go with it. He drove aggressively, overtook like a maniac and two minutes up the road I'll roll on up behind him.

I'm not a slow driver by any means but by god I often think, what's the point?

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

300bhp no less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

StudentDad wrote: »
    I often wonder what's the bloody point in Ireland. I was travelling behind a Skoda VRS recently and you could feel the frustration of the driver. All that power and literally nowhere to go with it. He drove aggressively, overtook like a maniac and two minutes up the road I'll roll on up behind him.

I'm not a slow driver by any means but by god I often think, what's the point?

SD

Quiet Country road, lots of bends and more than 100bhp/tonne equals big cheesy smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Quiet Country road, lots of bends and more than 100bhp/tonne equals big cheesy smile.

I agree :) Can be hard to find though.

SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

StudentDad wrote: »
    I agree :) Can be hard to find though.

SD

They're everywhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Ya entirely depends on the cars size/weight, Mondeo's 125 is great, even the 90 in the Focus ain't too shabby, the pin moves up fairly lively. Now only if I had 125 in the focus......

I think 202 in my Mondeo and 173 in my Focus are not shabby at all :-)

corktina wrote: »

Which is faster (not top speed but quickest off the line) and better to drive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

A good example. This 325 has about a 100bhp advantage over the Seicento, which weighs about 700kg

Sounded like the Beemer was in the wrong gear.

• Advertisement

Which is faster (not top speed but quickest off the line) and better to drive?

good question...the Mondeo just shades it (0-60 7.7 as opposed to 7.9) and is more comfortable. The Focus is probably more fun as it doesn't look quite as out there as the Mondeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Stop showing off :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Have 190-220bhp in a car that weights about 1024kg nippy out !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have just short of 180bhp and just short of 300 foot pounds of torque in my Fabia, and that a lot! But I had 345 bhp and 500 foot pounds in the E60 before that. It's all relative!

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Have 190-220bhp in a car that weights about 750kg nippy out !!

What car is that?

• Advertisement

Variohorsepower model....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Pudz is fos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

dont be jelous dan , its a stripped out dc2

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

I have 197 bhp ( probably 170-180 really) in my FTO Version R.

193 bhp standard e39 530d. The FTO feels faster and definitely is 0-60, but the BMW is relentless on the open road. Going to remap the 530d soon to take it to 230. To be honest, I think 160-170 is the bare minimum I can tolerate in a daily driver. Driving my girlfriends 04 c220 cdi is a pain in the arse and that has 140 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

My old 150bhp Golf Mk3 GTI would eat my 160bhp Alfa 159 in a straight line.
    1090kg vs 1480kg!!

Overall I'd say any car with 150+ bhp should be able to move with some urgency if needs be. Not necessarily rapid, but 150bhp is more than a good share of cars on the road regardless of weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Twas Not wrote: »
    Sounded like the Beemer was in the wrong gear.

seems to happen a lot - they need a shift light or smth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

250bhp seems to be the sweetspot where there aren't many performance gains beyond. Traction control kills the power anyway and unless you've all wheel drive you wil struggle to get the power down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭kay 9

Bhp without torque is no fun. Had a Rover 25 van 2.0 td with 155bhp and 250lbft torque with minimal work & cost needed and that was fun to drive bar the handling being a little testing. I think they weigh somewhere between 1100 - 1200kg. 0-60 was low 7s. Sub 7 sec 0-60 would have needed a vnt turbo upgrade, upgraded clutch etc and that's all ££ I didn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

In regards to power to weight ratio. Got a Merc E 200 Kompressor with 163 bhp and a Kawasaki ZZR 1200 with 168 bhp. Car weighs in at about 1.5 tons and bike at roughly 250 kg. Guess which one is faster and accelerates better?

Merc: 0-60 in 9.8 seconds, top speed 230 km/h
    Bike: 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, top speed 270 km/h :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Power is never enough, 200, 300, 400, it might be ok for a while but after a few hours you always want more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭kay 9

Bohrio wrote: »
    Power is never enough, 200, 300, 400, it might be ok for a while but after a few hours you always want more

That's why the lads on top gear find it hard to review family estates I'm thinking :d

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Went from a 130bhp tdi mk4 golf which I thought was quick until I got a 200bhp MK5 GTI. After a while i'm sure I'll get used to the power.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

JC01 wrote: »
    It's very true what other posters said about power to weight but IMO 200+ is the minimum before you can even start calling a car nippy, and that would be in the like of an old light jap car etc.
    True that. my insurance company tried to tell me that my Insignia 160bhp was a high powered car :pac:

Bohrio wrote: »

yep, too much is just enough....for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

yep, too much is just enough....for now

Thats what I said about mine... I'll give you a month ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement