Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm 33 and I've never driven, but I'm finally looking into it. I'm trying to get an idea of the cost of insurance. Lets say for a basic hatchback.

Would I expect to pay the same as typical first timers, such as teenagers? In other words, will my age be a good factor for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I drove a company car for over 30 years but was not named on policy and had to pay 744e for a 1600cc car recently. So only thing I can hopefully next year it won't cost as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Saipanne wrote: »
    I'm 33 and I've never driven, but I'm finally looking into it. I'm trying to get an idea of the cost of insurance. Lets say for a basic hatchback.

Would I expect to pay the same as typical first timers, such as teenagers? In other words, will my age be a good factor for me?

Probably, yeah. I was on a provisional, my brother on a full license. I was 25, he was 21. It cost an extra €200 to insure me on my mother's car, and I think an extra €900 to insure him. So yeah, your age should come into play big time.

A 17 year old on a full license in a 1.6 litre car would be paying 4 figures, easily around €1600 a year, that the poster above mentioned insurance for€710 will show you the difference age makes.

You'll still probably shell out quite a bit, but not as much as an under-25.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

hey guys, I have been driving for 6 months now. I am currently insured on my mams car with my provisional licence but have just bought a 1.1L car. Will I have any issues getting myself insured on this as I havent got a years driving experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

icanmunch wrote: »
    hey guys, I have been driving for 6 months now. I am currently insured on my mams car with my provisional licence but have just bought a 1.1L car. Will I have any issues getting myself insured on this as I havent got a years driving experience?

Shouldnt have any issues getting a quote (assuming you have no claims, points, convictions etc); its whether or not you can afford the price is the issue! Did you not get insurance quotes for the car before you bought it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

thanks djimi. I got a quote for 1 years experience on provisional licence in my mams car (that was lowest experience I could select) I will call chill insurance now and hopefully it wont be too expensive!

Ah okay. Its either a full year or its nothing unfortunately. Probably wont be a huge difference between 0 and 1 years named driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Lads, I'm looking at going on my own policy for the first time. 27 years old, full licence for 5 years, 3 years named driver, no claims/penalty points. Car is an 04 1.4 focus. All the quotes I've been getting are around 6/700, I'm guessing I won't get much better will I?

Problem is it looks like I will have to go through AA to get the 3 years named driver as the first two years, the AA put it with AIG who have since had an unhappy divorce from the AA and are unlikely to give me a letter saying I was a named driver.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

cc87 wrote: »
    Lads, I'm looking at going on my own policy for the first time. 27 years old, full licence for 5 years, 3 years named driver, no claims/penalty points. Car is an 04 1.4 focus. All the quotes I've been getting are around 6/700, I'm guessing I won't get much better will I?

Problem is it looks like I will have to go through AA to get the 3 years named driver as the first two years, the AA put it with AIG who have since had an unhappy divorce from the AA and are unlikely to give me a letter saying I was a named driver.

Cheers

Submit a data protection request to AIG and you'll get your full history with them for €6.35 fee. They are legally obliged to respond.

In fact, I doubt if their divorce from AA will stop them giving you your record anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

cc87 wrote: »

Cheers

Incorrect.

AA are a brokers and they are legally obliged to get your proof of named driving experience for you. As they were the broker, AIG are legally not allowed engage with you about the policy so its pointless getting on to them.

Once you have your proof you can go to any insurance company or brokers that will quote you.

You are not tied to AA in anyway, shape or form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You have no rights to anything as a named driver under a policy. I'd be surprised if any insurer even spoke to you about the policy. As the contract is with the policyholder, only they can obtain information relating to it. Go down that route.

oldyouth wrote: »
    You have no rights to anything as a named driver under a policy. I'd be surprised if any insurer even spoke to you about the policy. As the contract is with the policyholder, only they can obtain information relating to it. Go down that route.

Indeed. Data protection and all that would mean (I would have thought) that nobody will speak to you about somebody elses policy, even if you were named on it.

djimi wrote: »
    Indeed. Data protection and all that would mean (I would have thought) that nobody will speak to you about somebody elses policy, even if you were named on it.

Not true. Data Protection and all that means if they hold information about you, they have to give it to you on request.

You may be right on the data protection aspect, but if you push that point, they will only be obliged to provide you with the information they have about you on file such as your name, date of birth and licence details. If there are no claims against you on their file, there is NOTHING to provide you with. They are not going to give you anything you can use

I repeat my earlier advice to get the policyholder to obtain what they can on your behalf

You may be right on the data protection aspect, but if you push that point, they will only be obliged to provide you with the information they have about you on file such as your name, date of birth and licence details. If there are no claims against you on their file, there is NOTHING to provide you with. They are not going to give you anything you can use

I repeat my earlier advice to get the policyholder to obtain what they can on your behalf

I agree with your advice that the policyholder is the best route, and that both the broker and insurance company will provide the relevant details.

But the Data Protection thing will work. If you phrase the request to include all claim details, you can show the request with the negative response to prove no claims on file.

RainyDay wrote: »
    I agree with your advice that the policyholder is the best route, and that both the broker and insurance company will provide the relevant details.

But the Data Protection thing will work. If you phrase the request to include all claim details, you can show the request with the negative response to prove no claims on file.

So in real terms, the request comes in to the insurer to release all details including claims relating to the driver. The response will be

Dear x

The details we have on file relating to driver X, including claims, are as follows

Name; Driver X
    Licence Details; Full EU Licence number 123456789
    Date of Birth; 11/22/33

Regards,

Nasty Insurance Company

I do not think this document will be of any use to a prospective insurer

So in real terms, the request comes in to the insurer to release all details including claims relating to the driver. The response will be

Dear x

The details we have on file relating to driver X, including claims, are as follows

Name; Driver X
    Licence Details; Full EU Licence number 123456789
    Date of Birth; 11/22/33

Regards,

Nasty Insurance Company

I do not think this document will be of any use to a prospective insurer

WHy not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Because it won't state how long they have been a named driver for. Data protection request would only release the info they hold on file about that person. As a result it won't suit the needs of other insurers.

Why are we all being pedantic about this? He just needs to get the policy holder to ring AA or RSA or whoever the insurer was and have them issue the letter.

peteb2 wrote: »
    Because it won't state how long they have been a named driver for.

Oh yes it will. If they have the information on how long he was a named driver for, they have to produce that information as part of the Data Protection request.

You don't seem to be getting the point, in practical terms. There is a standard format for NCB and driving experience letters. If a document was submitted to me, formatted in a data protection type manner, I would refuse it. I would err on the side of caution that something is not right here, if the client cannot go through the standard process of getting the policyholder to provide a letter from his insurer, relating to drivers on his policy. I don't even have to explain my reasons

The insured is entitled to have a NCB letter provided to him under current industry regulations, a named driver is entitled to nothing (data protection excepted). If you want the benefit of your driving experience recognised by an insurer, get the policyholder to obtain it

• Advertisement

You don't seem to be getting the point, in practical terms. There is a standard format for NCB and driving experience letters. If a document was submitted to me, formatted in a data protection type manner, I would refuse it. I would err on the side of caution that something is not right here, if the client cannot go through the standard process of getting the policyholder to provide a letter from his insurer, relating to drivers on his policy. I don't even have to explain my reasons

The insured is entitled to have a NCB letter provided to him under current industry regulations, a named driver is entitled to nothing (data protection excepted). If you want the benefit of your driving experience recognised by an insurer, get the policyholder to obtain it

Yes, I get the practical point, and I understand the difficulties that may arise in getting an insurer to accept this format. However, the fact remains that you have a legal entitlement to copy of any information held about you. At a minimum, this can be used in negotiation with any broker or insurer who is reluctant to issue an NCB certificate.

RainyDay wrote: »
    At a minimum, this can be used in negotiation with any broker or insurer who is reluctant to issue an NCB certificate.

Now you're going from discussing a Driving Experience letter to a No Claim Bonus.

A named driver is not entitled to discuss ANYTHING with an insurer about someone else's policy, let alone negotiate.

Now you're going from discussing a Driving Experience letter to a No Claim Bonus.

A named driver is not entitled to discuss ANYTHING with an insurer about someone else's policy, let alone negotiate.

Sorry if we're going round in circles, but EVERYONE is entitled to a copy of any data held on them by ANY organisation. That's Data Protection law.

So yes, a named driver is not entitled to discuss anything with an insurer, but they are entitled to a copy of their records. And they can use that record as proof of their history for other insurers.

The extent to which other insurers will accept the record, is another matter.

We all agreed that ages ago, you just introduced the new subject of a NCB Certificate and I was commenting on that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Can I get some advice here please. Need to transfer my insurance for Sunday evening. Aviva aren't opened tomorrow. I'm with a broker, but I don't think they are opened either. Aviva say that you can make changes to your policy online, but I don't have the client number they require. Any way to get it transferred by Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Can I get some advice here please. Need to transfer my insurance for Sunday evening. Aviva aren't opened tomorrow. I'm with a broker, but I don't think they are opened either. Aviva say that you can make changes to your policy online, but I don't have the client number they require. Any way to get it transferred by Sunday?

As you are insured through a broker the company cant take instruction from you anyway. Best bet is to email the brokers with all the details before you need the changes to be made then follow up with a call first thing Monday morning. You will need to be as specific as possible ie the them to the minute what time you want the change to take effect from.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Grown up (over 30) with no NCB, I was thinking of picking up something cheap to keep the weather off over winter.
    Quiet area, no accidents or points either but from a quick try I'm getting quotes on a 1.0L shopping cart of nearly €900.
    Is this just the kind of shafting I can expect?

What type of licence do you have? Are you named on anyone's policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Oh full licence for years, I have a year or two named driver alright and my own policy on the motorbike though I don't suppose that counts.

• Advertisement

I would have thought circa €600 on a 1 litre with 2 years proven named driver experience (on a car). The bike insurance wont count for anything

Advertisement