Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/8/4/5968961/ny-giants-news-rumors-preseason-corey-washington-hall-of-fame-game

TC very impressed by Corey Washington. We could badly do with a 6ft4 wideout. Has a shot to make the roster to be fair. Cruz, Randle, Jernigan & Beckham Jr. are locks but lots of uncertainty outside of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Thought Bowman and Prince were good as well, Bowman's penalty aside.

See M Bennett has been suspended by the Bears after dumping Kyle Fuller to the ground in practice. Apparently he'd been playing half assed as well. Surprised by that, I must say.

Definitely interested in how Washington does. He was last in depth chart a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭boccy23

Was nicely surprised with the O-line. Thought we ran the ball well with Jennings and Williams. Thought Hillis looked terrible.
    Also thought that Nassib at least looked some way competent. Good roll out. Something Eli struggles at.
    Didn't agree with some that Richburg was torched. May have struggled going back, but I thought he blocked well for the run game.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11317245/rb-peyton-hillis-new-york-giants-injured-training-camp-practice

Hope this is nothing too serious. Hillis has been a smashing addition & if he is out for any length of time then we are perilously thin at RB as Cox & Gaskins don't look up to much

• Advertisement

Weston Richburg replaced Geoff Schwartz at LG as Schwartz had a sore knee. Nice to see him getting as much time with the 1st string as possible.

Doesn't sound like Beckham will play this week but hopefully he can get back for the 4th & 5th preseason games

Ah jeez, not good news, that.

Cox seems to have the elusiveness of a brick, especially if his Kick Returns last year were anything to go by. Know virtually nothing about Gaskins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I see JPP has been talking to the media about shutting up his doubters. He's in a contract year so I'd expect big things from him but I'm not sure about his attitude, application and longevity. I think unless he really is unstoppable then I don't think we should be tying ourselves down to Pierre-Paul. Right now he's a good run stopping DE but he's really lost that burst and forward movement to really be an impact player.

He seems too have run out of excuses and was beaten by Buffalo's second stringers. I don't know if its just me but he seems to be a bit of a disruption in the locker room. He better start adding up them sacks...

glued wrote: »
    I see JPP has been talking to the media about shutting up his doubters. He's in a contract year so I'd expect big things from him but I'm not sure about his attitude, application and longevity. I think unless he really is unstoppable then I don't think we should be tying ourselves down to Pierre-Paul. Right now he's a good run stopping DE but he's really lost that burst and forward movement to really be an impact player.

He seems too have run out of excuses and was beaten by Buffalo's second stringers. I don't know if its just me but he seems to be a bit of a disruption in the locker room. He better start adding up them sacks...

He annoys me, tbh. Especially around the Cowboys game last year, with all his, "I'm gonna end them. Shut them up, etc, etc". Then he went out there and got his ass handed to him on a plate.

See how he does in preseason, but I'm not massively optimistic so far. Our secondary, and improved LB core should help that front line out a lot though, and as you say, our run defence is pretty decent, so it should provide plenty of opportunities for people to step up.

Would not surprise me though if Kiwi or Moore got more sacks than JPP this season, actually.

JPP was solid last year but no more than that. You don't pay top dollar to a run stuffing DE. Apparently he has lost some weight in the offseason but he was shut out by a 7th round rookie the other night so I will remain doubtful he will get back to his All-Pro DE form. We my be in a position at the end of the season that we have no choice but to pay him if Moore doesn't pan out

• Advertisement

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/8/8/5983623/giants-eric-herman-suspension-peds-four-games

Eric Herman suspended for the 1st 4 games of the year.
    Unsurprisingly Odell Beckham won't play this weekend but is apparently close to returning

The rest of the injury report:

-- Running back Peyton Hillis won't play due to the ankle injury he suffered in practice this week.

-- Left tackle Will Beatty won't play, but coach Tom Coughlin said that the plan all along has been for Beatty to make his debut in the Giants' third preseason game, which is next week vs. the Indianapolis Colts.

-- Undrafted free agent defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles won't play due to an ankle sprain.

-- Cornerback Trumaine McBride has been practicing regularly, but will apparently be held out of game action for one more week as he recovers from offseason surgery.

-- Coughlin said linebacker Jon Beason (broken foot) has begun to run. No word yet on whether Beason will be able to play in the season opener vs. the Detroit Lions.

-- Trindon Holliday remains sidelined with a hamstring injury. Holliday has been out for more than two weeks now, and might be watching his chance to make the team evaporate as young wide receivers Marcus Harris, Corey Washington and Preston Parker impress.

-- Tight end Xavier Grimble (hamstring) returned to practice Thursday on a limited basis. It seems unlikely he will play Saturday.

Jennings & Williams again looked very good at RB last night. Eli has gotten nothing going so far in pre-season. Nassib seems to be on his way to wrapping up the back-up QB role which is good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

From what little we've seen from Eli he looks very uncomfortable. Hankins, Moore and JPP impressed me yesterday. Hosley has no chance of making the team. Washington should be in there too.

The offense still looks poor but it's far too early to draw any conclusions yet

My boy Mosley made a great play to spring Jennings. High hopes for him now that he is in the team.

Need Beatty badly, tbh. Brown is horrible to watch at LT. Very happy with our interior though, which can only bode well for the run game, and Pugh can only continue to get better. If Beatty comes back at decent level, I'll be fairly happy.

I love our D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭boccy23

Corey Washington had a very good days practise today by all accounts. Beat Prince on a one on one and then drew double coverage from DRC & Rolls on the next play

With the way he has started pre-season he has a serious shot to make the practise squad at worst but being 6ft4 is a serious bonus for him over the likes of Talley, Harris & Holliday. If we assume that Cruz, Randle, Beckham Jr. & Jernigan are locked in he could be battling Manningham for a spot

Corey Washington 3 for 3 in the preseason. Getting slightly worried by Eli at this point. He does not look sure of himself in this new offense. Cruz & Randle with out a catch for the 3rd game

It'll be tonight before I can catch up on the game, but another win and another TD for Washington. As worried as I would be about Eli, that's no the worst.

Our D will carry us for a few games, and I'm hoping offense will be up to scratch after a few weeks. That's being optimistic though.

Just seen the stats though, 1/7, for 6 yards. Jesus.

Cooper Taylor is likely to require foot surgery & will be placed on IR. We are so short at safety with Rolle, Brown, Demps & Berhe. Serious weakness now that Hill & Taylor are gone.

OBJ sat out practise today but apparently this was planned. He won't be playing in this weeks pre-season game so don't see that he will make much impact in the 1st 6-8 weeks of the season.

Coughlin sounds positive that Beason is making very good progress. Our LB corp is starting to look strong with Beason, McClain, Kennard, Williams & Paysinger all looking like strong contributors.

Will Beatty sat out practise yesterday with Justin Pugh at LT, JD Walton at C, Weston Richburg at RG & Geoff Schwartz and Brandon Mosley splitting time at LG & RT. I would be more than confident with Pugh at LT if Beatty is not ready to go. Apparently Giants disappointed in Charles Brown & John Jerry. Were expecting them to provide depth and possibly compete to start at RG but no where near what was expected

Also starting to look very likely that Mario Manningham won't make the final 53. Way behind Marcus Harris & Corey Washington and even Preston Parker outplaying him

• Advertisement

Had been hoping Taylor's wasn't as bad as that. That's rough. He was decent backup.

Not much being said about Talley, but I keep hearing his name, both in matches and in practice. Interesting to watch.

Knex. wrote: »
    Had been hoping Taylor's wasn't as bad as that. That's rough. He was decent backup.

Not much being said about Talley, but I keep hearing his name, both in matches and in practice. Interesting to watch.

Not heard much from or seen Talley do much either tbh. It seems that Cruz, OBJ & Randle are locked down. I had assumed that Jernigan was also an automatic but apparently that is still open to debate. There is also a question as to whether we will carry 5 or 6 wideouts due to OBJ's injury situation.

Courtesy of Big Blue View
    "If they're evaluated as being solid people that can make the club, then perhaps you have to make an adjustment somewhere else," head coach Tom Coughlin said Tuesday. "Are we against keeping six? No. That's been done before."

The easy route would be to go for 6 with Jernigan, Harris & Washington in with the hope to get Preston Parker to the practise squad but there seems to be a feeling that Parker offers more as a kick/punt returner than Jernigan and he could edge him out. I'd be surprised if we went that route as we would be very short of experience at WR with only Cruz & Randle having played before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Can we start our backups in week 1?

Thanks.

Is it bad that with Schwartz injury, and Incognito being cleared to play in the NFL, I kinda want us to make a move to sign him?

Our OL is really that uninspiring :(

Apparently the players released to date are Xavier Grimble, Brandon McManus, Charles James II & Jerome Cunningham.

Grimble & Cunningham are no surprise as they have not featured at all in pre-season.

McManus looks like he could develop into a good kicker. May well catch on somewhere or I can see us bringing him back in next year.

James II is somewhat of a surprise cut as he was pretty solid last year and is a young corner

Is it bad that with Schwartz injury, and Incognito being cleared to play in the NFL, I kinda want us to make a move to sign him?

Our OL is really that uninspiring :(

It sounds at best that it will be shot term IR and return mid-season bit even that is looking doubtful.

Our line is looking like it will be Beatty, Richburg, Walton, Mosley & Pugh to start the season, although it sounds like Coughlin is giving Jerry a shot at the RG spot.

I wouldn't touch Incognito with a barge pole tbh honest & I don't think Coughlin would either

I am pretty surprised with James being cut, despite him not being great this pre season. He seemed a big character for that group, and was well liked and respected. He had that huddle dance thing going on as well!

Thought with his character, and him being solid last year, that he would be kept around.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It sounds at best that it will be shot term IR and return mid-season bit even that is looking doubtful.

Our line is looking like it will be Beatty, Richburg, Walton, Mosley & Pugh to start the season, although it sounds like Coughlin is giving Jerry a shot at the RG spot.

I wouldn't touch Incognito with a barge pole tbh honest & I don't think Coughlin would either

And you're right too. If you asked me a month ago, I'd have said the same.

I have very little confidence in the line right now, and I really don't see Jerry being any good. Reports even of him in practice are worrying. Getting beat all ends up by Jenkins on a few plays, for example.

Anyway, it will get better over time, as they learn the blocking schemes and verbage, etc. I hope.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Apparently the players released to date are Xavier Grimble, Brandon McManus, Charles James II & Jerome Cunningham.

Grimble & Cunningham are no surprise as they have not featured at all in pre-season.

McManus looks like he could develop into a good kicker. May well catch on somewhere or I can see us bringing him back in next year.

James II is somewhat of a surprise cut as he was pretty solid last year and is a young corner

McManus traded to Denver for 7th round conditional 2015 pick, right before he got waived.

Not bad at all, for both player and Giants/Broncos.

Also, Harris and Taylor were placed on IR, as expected, I suppose.

• Advertisement

McManus traded to Denver for 7th round conditional 2015 pick, right before he got waived.

Not bad at all, for both player and Giants/Broncos.

Also, Harris and Taylor were placed on IR, as expected, I suppose.

Delighted for McManus, hope he takes his chance now in the 1st 4 games

Advertisement