Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back trouble

Options
  • 13-09-2006 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I injured my back, and am finding it hard to play (bass) for extended periods of time standing up.
    I am starting to get aches in my lower back and shoulder after only an hour :(
    Was just wondering if anyone had any tips to make this any better? I don't want to play gigs sitting down. ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Go to the doctor first of all. Don't mess with back pain. That said, a wide padded strap will help.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You may have pulled a muscle. Happened to me a twice in the past 3 years, and yeah I found it tiring and sore when moving around with a guitar strapped on.

Give it a bit of time, do some stretches and perhaps back exercises to tone up some of those muscles before playing.

How long has it been sore for? Best get a doctors opinion though. No way should you play sitting down, uness its a double bass a la Jeff Ament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

This happened a few weeks ago, and I did go to the doctor and had some treatment done. It's pretty much better now, but can get a little tender.
    I'll try to invest in a wider strap, and hope that this is just something that will heal over time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Get one of these, it's wide and padded, very comfy indeed.

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_planet_waves_74t000_gitarrengurt_nylon_prodinfo.html

You may need to consider buying a lighter instrument in the long term. Out of curiosity, how low do you strap the bass on? Higher up generally encourages better posture and less stress on your back and shoulders, even though it may not look quite so cool. Still, better than not playing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Wider, softer strap is a must.
    IMHO Physiotherapists are probably more use than a Dr in this kind of case. Bring your bass to teh physio so they can see how you hold and play it. They should be able to advise you re exercises etc that will help.
    Maybe get a lighter bass?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

there are some really cool double shoulder guitar straps too. Also theres elasticated ones which are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Physiotherapist, as Johnny mentioned, is where you will have to go if this continues. Doctors generally won't be able to help with specific injuries that are affected by the likes of Bass or Guitar playing. The Physio can deal with the pain and recommend exercises to help strengthen the affected area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Great - I think I shall invest in that strap. The one I have now is quite narrow - I really didn't put too much thought into which one to buy.
    I did have some physio done and it really helped, and I generally have the bass quite high up too.
    As for getting a new bass - I don't think that's going to happen. I just bought this one a few months back.
    I'll try out a wider strap, and if it gets any worse go back to the physio. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Having a bad back meself since my teen years, I just have a chair at rehearsal. I stand up until I start to ache, then sit for a while. At gigs I just fortify myself with tons of caffeine and an aspirin and deal with it later. :)

If things get really bad, you can pick up a lower-back belt for not too much money. They make you breathe funny, but you can stand up without too much pain.

Edit: Stretch. All the time, especially from side to side. This helps for both muscular problems and nerve problems caused by tight muscles caused by firing nerves caused by....etc. etc.

Advertisement