Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a new bass?

Options
  • 09-06-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I followed these advice here, completely destroyed my fretboard and now need a new bass.
    Actually, I'm only joking, but I do fancy a change.
    I've been playing about 15 years, but have always bought from the "cheaper" end of the scale.
    I've had a Stingray copy, an Aria Pro II 5 string, and Encore, and currently a Squier Jazz Bass.
    I love the thin neck and look of the Jazz Bass, and wouldn't mind the real thing.
    However, I could only stretch to about €500.
    Anyone any recommendations on what bass I could go for for around that price?
    I'm not into active basses, I want a simple, good-looking and good-sounding 4 string.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm, have a look here for a nice Fender Japan Jazz Bass, should be well within budget too. That "JB of lite ash that promises tight sound" looks quite nice. ;)

Might be worth a look here aswell, to see if there's anything interesting. As long as you don't mind second hand, you can get a very good instrument within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Cheers.
    That japanese website has some amazing prices, but looks a bit dodgy - has anyone used it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

fjon wrote:
    Cheers.
    That japanese website has some amazing prices, but looks a bit dodgy - has anyone used it?

Ishibashi? Loads of people on boards have - seems to be safe as

Nice - so many to chose from! I partcularly like this one!

fjon wrote:
    Cheers.

! :eek:

Sorry now, but there's nothing dodgy about them. They're quite possibly one of the most fantastic music shops I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I've actually had the privelege of buying from them in person, and I went back numerous times after I made my first purchase (A guitar), buying pickups, DVDs, strings and other accessories.

Their customer service, especially their aftersales, is nothing short of phenominal.

Cannot recommend them enough.

• Advertisement

Thanks Karl.
    I spoke too soon! I searched for Ishibashi on this forum, and everyone seems to agree with you. I guess I just saw Japanese characters and Hello Kitty guitars and alarm bells started ringing :p
    I'm seriously tempted by this (same one I posted above). Price seems to be €457, shipping I think someone mentioned was €120, and customs/ tax is 25.5%, so €115. That works out as just under €700, which I could just about stretch to.
    Unfortunately there is no comment for this bass, so I will try to email them.
    What does everyone think - is it a good buy?

fjon wrote:
    I just saw Japanese characters?

This is a good thing.

Seriously though, I don't think Ishibashi will do you wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Apart from not replying to any of my emails after i gave them my credit card details.

Apart from not replying to any of my emails after i gave them my credit card details.

Oh...?

Yeah Im majorly pissed off about it, see my "Should I...?" thread for details. I dont care about the guitar, I ordered a Jap tele custom elsewhere since but its the CC details im worried about...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

fjon wrote:
    I've had a Stingray copy, an Aria Pro II 5 string, and Encore, and currently a Squier Jazz Bass.
    I love the thin neck and look of the Jazz Bass, and wouldn't mind the real thing.
    However, I could only stretch to about €500.
    Anyone any recommendations on what bass I could go for for around that price?
    I'm not into active basses, I want a simple, good-looking and good-sounding 4 string.

To be honest, I think you'd be mad to buy from Japan, a quarter or so of your money will be going on shipping and taxes (about €120 shipping then 25% of the cost again in import duty and VAT). IMO you need to spend a bit more than €500 in total to really reap the benefits of that sort of deal. Your budget is Fender MIM Standard Jazz bass range. They're fundamentally good basses but they save money on the electronics and hardware. If I were in your position I would try to find one second hand and then use the money saved to buy new pickups, electronics, bridge and tuners, you'll have a very decent bass on your hands.

Right. So where would I look second hand then? Ebay?

Buy and sell, Ebay, Gigsmart forum, FS section here & adverts.ie

Yup, that's where you'll get one. Since they go for €584 new don't feel shy about negotiating a good price when you go to buy one.

Then consider something like this and a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and maybe in the future consider sticking a badass II on it and some better quality tuners and you'll have a real keeper.

It arrived!

88570406.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I went through Ishibashi, and they were very nice to deal with. Bass cost me €540 inc shipping, and the customs was €113, so I'm pretty happy.
    Nice bass - not a scratch on it!
    Is there any way I can find out how old it is? Perhaps with the serial number?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

fjon wrote:
    It arrived!

88570406.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I went through Ishibashi, and they were very nice to deal with. Bass cost me €540 inc shipping, and the customs was €113, so I'm pretty happy.
    Nice bass - not a scratch on it!
    Is there any way I can find out how old it is? Perhaps with the serial number?
    Very nice

Absolutely beautiful is the adjective i would use!

That's about as sweet as sweet gets. Congratulations man, I'm actually jealous :D

Edit -> it won't be more than a year or two old but check it against this to know for sure.

http://www.fender.com/support/dating/japanese_dating.php

Cheers - 2004-2005 - no wonder it looks so pristine!
    This should act as my workhorse for the next few years, so I better take care of it.
    I'm no bass conoisseur, but to my little ears it sounds just as good as the real (US) thing. It's certainly an improvement on old Squier Jazz.
    I'm one satisfied customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Aw man, congratulations. If there's one bass that gives me serious GAS it's a jazz bass in natural finish, with those lovely inlays. I demand a go. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement