Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies only! Running a marathon/race with Aunt Flo?!

• 29-08-2015 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

I would have posted this in the Novices thread but I thought I'd spare the lads!

It turns out that stupid Aunt Flo is due in town the day after the Dublin Marathon, which I'm running for the first time this year. The thing is, she's an inconsiderate so-and-so, rarely arriving when she's due and sometimes a day or two early or even a day or two late. If she comes early in October...:(

I do not want to have to deal with her on the day! Any suggestions? If I DO have her during the marathon, what then?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you are on a combined pill or can go on one before then, you should be able to run 2 packets together and skip it completely. Otherwise consider going to your GP and asking them about a prescription of norethisterone to delay it.

Otherwise? Tampons (use a relatively high absorbency) or Divacup/Mooncup, carry a few spares and your usual painkiller of choice. It will be a bit more uncomfortable but nothing that you shouldn't be able to deal with. Have you done any long-ish runs on the first or second day of your period before?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I got it the day of a marathon before - was fine. Got it 2 days before ironman this year. Was fine. Tampons are your friend, or like RK has suggested a mooncup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I got it the day of a marathon before - was fine. Got it 2 days before ironman this year. Was fine. Tampons are your friend, or like RK has suggested a mooncup.

Been there before too - won't be a bother for you - plenty of portaloos along the way if you need them. Best not to overthink it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

If you're taking the pill run 2 packs back to back. If not I'd really recommend the mooncup. So much better than tampons imo. Either way, don't stress. It will make no real difference. Enjoy your 1st marathon experience - nothing like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Thanks, ladies!

I'd rather not go on the pill, it's been years since I tried that and the last time I was a wreck. They didn't agree with me!

I do have a diva cup but am still getting the hang of it. The other problem with that is, on my heaviest day I fill the cup in a couple of hours. It's very comfortable but as I'm still new to it I'm not sure I'd feel confident with it on the day.

I think tampons will have to do. I generally hate running with my period, especially on my heavy days and luckily haven't had to do an LSR yet with it.

I guess que sera sera! But still crossing my fingers September is late! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Get pregnant. Problem solved.

#There's only one first marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

Unless you want to make a big statement ; )

...http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-ran-marathon-period-2261638-Aug2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Interesting article here: http://www.runnersworld.com/run-matters/racing-through-your-period

It seems many women run pb's during their period due to lower levels of oestrogen. I definitely find I don't run too well around ovulation which makes sense after reading that.

Lila wrote: »
    Unless you want to make a big statement ; )

...http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-ran-marathon-period-2261638-Aug2015/

The thought crossed my mind but in a 'never in a million years' kind of way!
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Interesting article here: http://www.runnersworld.com/run-matters/racing-through-your-period

It seems many women run pb's during their period due to lower levels of oestrogen. I definitely find I don't run too well around ovulation which makes sense after reading that.

That's a fascinating read! I didn't know pretty much any of that especially when it comes to running. I do find there are some days when running is harder than others, I never thought it was linked to my cycle. Lots to think about!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Depending on you, one tampon should generally be fine. Do you know anyone who is running that works around the start line? Loads of offices/pt studios/physio places etc in the area are open on the morning, letting their regulars in for coffee, toilets etc if you know anyone working around there or use a physio etc around there, they may be open and let you use their facilities which would be way better than using a portaloo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭28064212

and luckily haven't had to do an LSR yet with it.
    Not luckily. A significant reason for doing LSRs is to prepare for the day of the marathon:
    • If the marathon's on at 9 in the morning, you should use your LSRs to practice that
    • If you're planning to use gels in the marathon, you should use your LSRs to practice taking them
    • If you're going to have a pasta carb-load the night before, you should use your LSRs to see what effect it has
    • If the day of the marathon's likely to be hot, you should run your LSRs when it's warm
    And, in this case:
    • If you're likely to have your period on the day of the marathon, you should use your LSRs to practice running with it
    NB: I'm not saying you should do all of the above for every LSR, but you should do at least some of them regularly

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Oh, yes of course I have been doing my LSR's at the right time of day with all the gear and gels and water and routine and have even been practicing the actual DCM route. I got that part covered.

Harder to plan an LSR around my cycle though. I can only do it on a Sunday and since I started training in April I haven't had a period coincide with a Sunday. Not for the really long runs anyway. Plus they only last three days so I'm stuck with what I've got! My period that is, not my LSR! :D

Also, it's only this month that bumped my period to start the day after the marathon. Up until now it was due a few days after so thought I was safe. When it came early last month and this month, it moved. Again, hard to plan for it! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Change an lsr to a day your period is here?

If not possible, your weekly runs must be touching a fairly long distance now and must have landed on a day your period was here? That should give you an indicator of what its going to be like and how to deal with it?

If youre not going to take the pill to stop it, I dont know what youre looking for people to say tbh. You just have to deal with it the same was as when your period arrives during any other unwanted life moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Change an lsr to a day your period is here?

If not possible, your weekly runs must be touching a fairly long distance now and must have landed on a day your period was here? That should give you an indicator of what its going to be like and how to deal with it?

If youre not going to take the pill to stop it, I dont know what youre looking for people to say tbh. You just have to deal with it the same was as when your period arrives during any other unwanted life moment.

Agree with this - if I were you I'd just forget about it. In terms of what can happen in the run up to a marathon it's very small scale - I'd much rather that than be struggling with injuries etc

Advertisement