Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumbulance equipment stolen at Ploughing Championships *DONATION DETAILS IN OP*

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

WOW, just WOW. You do realise that BUMBLEance is run by the Heffernans and there are not dozens of employees to answer phones to parents of critically ill children.
    By your standards , if your house is burgled, it is your fault. I'm actually so mad with this comment that I am not going to write much more, but hope you and yours never have need of the BUMBLEance.

I also hope not.

Look like I said, only the lowest of the low would stoop so low as to rob a childrens ambulance.

But, the Ploughing Championships attract quite a few of our "lowest of the low" citizens; this is common knowledge. I'm sure whoever runs the charity would agree that, in hindsight, it maybe wasn't the best idea to bring it there if it was going to be left unattended.

If my house is burgled, if I have left it unattended with the doors wide open in an area known for petty theft ... well, it's not my fault, but I'd still admit afterwards that in hindsight it probably wasn't the wisest thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I have never been but I wouldn't have thought the Ploughing Championship would attract more "lowest of the low" than any other festival/attraction

I also hope not.

Look like I said, only the lowest of the low would stoop so low as to rob a childrens ambulance.

But, the Ploughing Championships attract quite a few of our "lowest of the low" citizens; this is common knowledge. I'm sure whoever runs the charity would agree that, in hindsight, it maybe wasn't the best idea to bring it there if it was going to be left unattended.

If my house is burgled, if I have left it unattended with the doors wide open in an area known for petty theft ... well, it's not my fault, but I'd still admit afterwards that in hindsight it probably wasn't the wisest thing to do.

Why are you ignoring the fact that ambulances get left unattended all the time?

You know that anyone can walk into a children's hospital and steal things too, do you want security guards on the doors too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

There are security guards on the doors of the children's hospitals... All hospitals actually...

Well all of the hospitals I've been in (Crumlin, Temple St, Rotunda, Coombe, Connolly, Mater, Beaumont, Vincents, James's)

January wrote: »
    There are security guards on the doors of the children's hospitals... All hospitals actually...

I meant at every door so that absolutely no piece of equipment is ever stolen.

I work in a hospital. That doesn't, and shouldn't, happen.

• Advertisement

Wellll stuff is robbed from Crumlin all the time, even down to the remotes for the TV... They ask you for a 5 euro deposit to use the remote in the heart centre in Crumlin now. They've have baby bouncers, high chairs, DVD players robbed on them before. It shouldn't happen but it does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Wellll stuff is robbed from Crumlin all the time, even down to the remotes for the TV... They ask you for a 5 euro deposit to use the remote in the heart centre in Crumlin now. They've have baby bouncers, high chairs, DVD players robbed on them before. It shouldn't happen but it does.

Would that mean you wouldn't ever donate to them again because they can't be trusted to look after the valuable money you donated?

bruschi wrote: »
    Would that mean you wouldn't ever donate to them again because they can't be trusted to look after the valuable money you donated?

No, in fact I'm actually actively trying to fund raise for the heart centre at the moment so they can get more equipment in... It's unfortunate that low life people can do that to hospitals/ambulances but they can't physically chain stuff down or no one would get the use of it.

No, in fact I'm actually actively trying to fund raise for the heart centre at the moment so they can get more equipment in... It's unfortunate that low life people can do that to hospitals/ambulances but they can't physically chain stuff down or no one would get the use of it.

Unfortunately you missed the point of my posts entirely.

I know that stuff is robbed. The point is indigo twist thinks that if equipment can be stolen, it makes the charity irresponsible and therefore she wouldn't donate to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Has the NPA made a donation?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Fcuking tinkers sick bastarding, had a win on the golf I'm gonna send the winnings to this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Donation done, scumbags to do that to a childrens ambulance, I hope they never need it's services!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

I hope they never need it's services!!:mad:
    Or they do and it's not available.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I also hope not.

Is it?! Certainly news to me, and I've attended quite a few times. Maybe you're more familiar with the championships than I am though. Still, as pointed out by others, the BUMBLEance is run by a very small crew and having a stand at the Ploughing Championships is an invaluable opportunity to raise awareness about what they do. The robbery was a horrendous occurrence, but please don't state it was expected behaviour from the type of clientele that the show attracted Your stance comes across as unrealistic and incredibly mean-spirited.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The only time I've seen trouble at the Ploughing was guys trying to sell fireworks in the car park or the occasional pick pocket. Any way, the point is that we need to support Bumbleance. If you cannot see why, then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I just want to leave the country and never come back when I see things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

daRobot wrote: »
    I just want to leave the country and never come back when I see things like this.

This sort of thing happens all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

This sort of thing happens all over the world.

In some places more than others. Outside of Ireland and the UK, the chances if something like this happening are significantly less. There really is a special breed of lowlife in existence on these islands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I must admit I never heard of the BUMBLEance until I heard Chris and Ivan on Newstalk Breakfast discussing what happened.

I decided to make a donation there and then, not just for what happened, but because BUMBLEance is such a bloody cool name for anything that it deserves a donation just for that !

I hope those who stole from it are caught and get what they have coming to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Why is it called a Bumbulance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The founder's daughter, who died from Batten's disease, loved bees. They are the icon of the charity Bee for Battens for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Oh, that's nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Macavity. wrote: »
    Why is it called a Bumbulance?

Because it goes nee-naw-nee-naw? The bee's nees, obviously. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Nice little thank you card received in the post this morning. Nice touch for a small donation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

This is an incredibly disappointing outcome if it's true. I still think it's a wonderful charity and has helped so many young children in dire times and I will continue to donate to it. Short sighted gains may well have irreconcilably damaged the huge amounts of work put into this by the heffernan family. It's very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What's the implication here? I read the article, but I am tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

keith16 wrote: »
    What's the implication here? I read the article, but I am tired.

That the alleged theft was made up to get publicity and extra donations I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Going to wait until the CCTV is reviewed by and if any action taken by Gardai before commenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah Jaysus :(

Advertisement