Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every Human should be Allowed to Join.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Cork24 wrote: »
    professionals.. if you were Conscript into the Army it is now you job. you job is to serve your Country in any shape or form. if it goes to work then you do your bit.

Ireland are in Afghan.. for a country that had Men in almost Every War their was, we don't act like it. For a Country as Small as Ireland we need a bigger voice in Europe.. We just a ****ing Mouse In a Dogs World when it comes to Europe. We Voted No to the last Treaty.. Hell Europe was going to push on with out us. that's how little we are to them. We need Europe. we need to grow a bigger pair of Balls and Join NATO put more money into our Forces, Show the rest of Europe were Ready to more with you in keeping Euro Zone Safe and Free from anykind of Attack..

We Cant even Stop a couple of guys running around with masks calling them self's the Real IRA.. so how are we meant to stop some Muslim who would love to kill Every one that makes fun of the Muslim World?

Holland is just as Small as Ireland and Yet it seems to have more of a voice in Europe why as it all comes down to Power in which Power we dont have and people are saying we dont need a bigger Army Navy or Air.

Nato was build to stop Russia now Russia are apart of it. What does it tell us? if were not in it we can not Ask for their help if we ever need it?

So.. if we did go to War in any place and a couple of professionals as you call them got killed we never hear the end of it. but yet if some one in a Building Line went to Work and fell off a building or a Mother five died in a Car Crash. We go Ahh at lest it was'nt me..

Eeh Holland and Belgium combined are half the size of Ireland but have a combined population of nearly 30 million people and are geographically only a kick in the arse away from where a major conventional conflict between NATO and the Warsaw Pact countries would have taken place : Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

hahahaha

i think everyone should just ignore this thread.. your man actually is only like 12 or something... go back to call of duty hahaha

poccington couldnt have put it better!

ALL of my mates who are in the british army, .. are based in england and scotland!

and yea, the british do make a difference... they kill thousands upon thousands of civis in one country, and cause an even bigger war, all because a few of their american friends were killed in new york... its a difference all right...

cop on

And yet you still have "mates" in the British Army despite your misguided and actually rather disgusting descriptions of them? Do you bollocks. You never had any. A liar and a fantacist.

I know the other poster in question deserves to be put in his place for the sheer amount of waffle he is coming out with, but you are not far behind him. You certainly aren't the bastion of intellectualism you think you are. I see this is a year old anyway, I somehow don't think made it to cadetship!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

no need to waste money on the army
    if equipment was made in ireland it would be worth expanding since there would be jobs created and we could start exporting military gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

So who digged this post up from the grave ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As a young man myself, I don't feel I should be forced to join up by anyone other then myself. Conscription is a very unpopular method of bringing people into the army and not everyone wants to be a soldier. There would be uproar if people tried to impose it here. Look at Vietnam or what happened in 1918 when they tried to impose it here at that time. They may be different times but the feeling is still the same, especially since we're not even in a war so there would be no proper reason or explanation to impose it.

Also, I don't think the army would want anyone who was there because they were conscripted. They would want motivated people, people who are actually there because they want to be. They're the best type of people you want, because they make the best soldiers I think. That being said, it's just a theory and not based on fact so don't quote me on that last part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

'Prawns to the Queen'?

Explain, please.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

I just read that too Tac, that made my day

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thebigfella1

Some crazy points on this.

But I have to say it is an option for those in transition year in school who WANT to to do 9months militray service. It does not have to be Inf based.

Anyone with an intrest in mechanics, medics, engineers etc. could gain valuable expierence as well as fitness and discipline.

But it should not be forced on anyone.

That "Cork" fella made one good point, if there are young lads on the dole who would have an intrest in serving they could be brought in at the same cost to the state minus training costs. why not???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

That "Cork" fella made one good point, if there are young lads on the dole who would have an interest in serving they could be brought in at the same cost to the state minus training costs. why not???

Why should someone on the dole get preference over someone who's employed? There's plenty of people with jobs who've been trying for years to get into the army but can't because of the embargo.

If going on the dole meant I could just get straight into the army then I'd quit my job tomorrow, and I bet a lot of other people would too.

That kind of system wouldn't work. Jobs in the army shouldn't be just handed out to people on the dole, it should be open to people who really want it and also meet the requirements.

Also this thread is more then 2 years old. Why was it resurrected?

• Advertisement

amurph0 wrote: »
    Why should someone on the dole get preference over someone who's employed? There's plenty of people with jobs who've been trying for years to get into the army but can't because of the embargo.

If going on the dole meant I could just get straight into the army then I'd quit my job tomorrow, and I bet a lot of other people would too.

That kind of system wouldn't work. Jobs in the army shouldn't be just handed out to people on the dole, it should be open to people who really want it and also meet the requirements.

Also this thread is more then 2 years old. Why was it resurrected?

I prob restarted it apologies, was just looking through a few of them.

I'ld imagine if the scenarios that we discussed above were implented i.e. a form of voluntary service option, it would be open to all. To be honest I taught that went without saying.

Also the army has recruited over 500 in the last 2 years, it was an open competetion, if you are not making it through this comp I think you should look at your approach. I mean this with no disrespect as your desire to serve is clear but there must be a block somewhere.

Are you in the RDF??

I prob restarted it apologies, was just looking through a few of them.

No it wasn't you it was some other poster who resurrected it.
    I'ld imagine if the scenarios that we discussed above were implented i.e. a form of voluntary service option, it would be open to all. To be honest I taught that went without saying.

It wouldn't be open to everyone. If the army could take people off the dole at the same cost to the state then why would they bother taking employed people and pay them at regular rates? It doesn't make sense.

Also the army has recruited over 500 in the last 2 years, it was an open competetion, if you are not making it through this comp I think you should look at your approach. I mean this with no disrespect as your desire to serve is clear but there must be a block somewhere.

Are you in the RDF??

The DF as a whole (Army and Navy) took on about 450 last year as far as I remember, with over 10,000 applications. It doesn't matter what kind of approach you have, chances of getting in are still fairly low even if you pass everything.

There's a reason it's called a recruitment competition.

I can confirm as fact in the last 2 years it was over 500.

And as I said I was offering advice not criticising.

Of them 10000 applicants only approx <2000 were present for fitness testing also there was a large % of no shows for interview and medical. Stop looking for excuses and improve yourself as an applicant. make the DF want you over someone else. Again not a slight just advice. I actually hope you get in as you seem to have the desire to do well, but drop the excuses.

So where do you stand on manatory service??

Also it would make sense to get people the want (qualified in certain areas). And as it is voluntary service it goes with the words that it is open to all who volunteer!

I can confirm as fact in the last 2 years it was over 500.

And as I said I was offering advice not criticising.

Of them 10000 applicants only approx <2000 were present for fitness testing also there was a large % of no shows for interview and medical. Stop looking for excuses and improve yourself as an applicant. make the DF want you over someone else. Again not a slight just advice. I actually hope you get in as you seem to have the desire to do well, but drop the excuses.

So where do you stand on manatory service??

I know all about the application process, I was formally in the Navy full time, having succeeded in the recruitment competition for the Navy. And I can tell you for a fact that there were a lot more then 2,000 who were present for fitness as it was only the second stage of the comp. And what would make you think you are privy to that kind of information anyway?

I am against mandatory service, all service should be voluntary. Especially in a democracy.

Ok so having served in the navy, have you any idea why you were not top of the list for the Army selection??

And it was less than 50% turnout in the majority of selection centres for fitness testing, but I give you I may be at the lower end of estimates with 2000.

At lease we agree on voluntary service. Should it be open to anyone who wants to serve so?? As in anyone who can pass fitness, medical and background checks?

• Advertisement
Advertisement