Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann - Revised route 2 no longer serving Rosslare

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They mention one X2 service each way per day and describe it as limited stop but it has only one less stop than the rest of the services:D they make it sound like some kind of express service instead of a limited legroom(using the new super coaches) expressway service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Just noticed that myself. The idiocy of the resulting timetabling is beyond belief. The first #2 arrives into Wexford at 08:45 missing the first Wexford - Rosslare service leaving at 08:00. The next Wex - Ross service is at 11:45.

Also, it now makes impossible to reach the early Rosslare ferries by public transport. Getting the late ferry now means taking 14:00 service ex Dublin to be guaranteed of getting the 18:00 service from Wexford to Rosslare.

A summary timetable of the Wexford - Rosslare "services" can be seen here.

:mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seems to have been hacked about a fair bit

The overnight depatures from Dublin are gone, even on weekends, but the ones from Wexford are still present - there used to be acceptable loads on the 2 and 4 departures on Friday/Saturday nights if not the other days, may have dropped off though.

I also notice that the smaller stops now have set times rather than being marked as Request in general - may be an attempt to try and counter Wexford Bus.

I just noticed that a lot of the Request stops have been dropped altogether including Beehive, Ballincor, Jack Whites Cross, Kish bridge, Inch, Clough, Ballycanew, Ballyedmond, Castleellis Cross, Castlebridge and St. Senan’s Hospital. Also the late night/early morning stops at Wicklow and Ashford have been cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

I've been getting the 8.20am service to the Harbour and 5.30pm back to town for the past 2 1/2 years so my only option now is going to be starting work 1/2 hour earlier and finish 1/2 hour earlier in order to get the 8am down and 5pm up services.

Hopefully once this kicks in the Rosslare Harbour residents are going to get fairly ticked off at the choice of only going into town in the mornings either at 9am and then not until 1pm.

What about people in Rosslare who work in town? I usually see a fair few people getting the 8.30am bus in. What do they do now? Go in at 7am and get a coffee in O'Briens for an hour and a half?

The bus driver yesterday did say that the drivers themselves aren't too happy about the situation either.

I must try and find out whether the buses will still be going down to the garage in the port to be serviced or if all that will be done in Wexford now. Would seem crazy for the buses to be still going up and down to Rosslare but deliberately not taking any passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I just noticed that a lot of the Request stops have been dropped altogether including Beehive, Ballincor, Jack Whites Cross, Kish bridge, Inch, Clough, Ballycanew, Ballyedmond, Castleellis Cross, Castlebridge and St. Senan’s Hospital. Also the late night/early morning stops at Wicklow and Ashford have been cut.

Does that mean this bus won't stop in any of the places named above?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

In case it's of help to anyone there is still a route 2 bus at 08.00 from Rosslare Harbour to Wexford (this bus goes onto Dublin via Tullow) and is listed in a separate timetable:http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1256223990-5.pdf

For travelling to the late evening ferries from Rosslare there's a train at 16.37 from Dublin Connolly reaching Rosslare at 19.25 but this doesn't run on Saturday and Sunday.

Have put together the following which I believe is a full list of public transport options between Rosslare Harbour and Wexford and vice versa:

Wexford to Rosslare Harbour weekdays:
    08.00 route 40 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    11.45 route 370 local bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    12.02 train Mon-Sat inclusive
    12.30 route 40 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    14.10 route 40 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    16.04 train Mon-Sat inclusive
    18.00 route 385 local bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    19.04 train Mon-Fri inclusive
    20.30 route 40 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    20.40 route 2 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    21.04 train Mon-Sat inclusive
    21.10 route 132 local bus Thursdays only

Wexford to Rosslare Harbour Sundays:
    08.00 route 40 express bus
    12.48 train
    14.10 route 40 express bus
    15.55 route 40 express bus
    16.08 train
    20.30 route 40 express bus
    20.51 train

Rosslare Harbour to Wexford weekdays:
    05.35 train Mon to Fri inclusive
    07.00 route 40 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    07.20 train Mon-Sat inclusive
    07.45 route 379 local bus Saturdays only
    08.00 route 2 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    08.15 route 132 local bus Thursdays only
    09.00 route 40 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    12.55 train Mon-Sat inclusive
    13.00 route 40 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    13.45 route 370 local bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    14.40 route 40 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive
    17.00 route 40 express bus Mon-Fri inclusive
    17.55 train Mon-Sat inclusive
    19.00 route 40 express bus Mon-Sat inclusive

Rosslare Harbour to Wexford Sundays
    07.15 route 40 express bus
    09.40 train
    13.00 route 40 express bus
    14.20 train
    14.40 route 40 express bus
    17.00 route 40 express bus
    17.40 train
    19.00 route 40 express bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

lottpaul wrote: »

I'm surprised there isn't a limited amount of services via these stops. Inch already as had a lower level of service since the last revision, with most services using the bypass. I'd imagine once 'missing link' section of motorway is built/opened between the Beehive and Arklow BÉ will want to bypass Jack White's and Ballincor in a similar fashion. Surely some level of service should be retained to locations like these, it can't be costing them anymore to serve them. And until the motorway is built it won't affect speed to any great extent.

As it is advertised and operated as an expressway service rather than a stage carriage service I would think it only stops as per the listed stops on the timetable, just like the 007 services to colonel and cork stop in Naas town centre only and don't stop at any of the stops entering Naas that the 126 stops at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

As it is advertised and operated as an expressway service rather than a stage carriage service I would think it only stops as per the listed stops on the timetable, just like the 007 services to colonel and cork stop in Naas town centre only and don't stop at any of the stops entering Naas that the 126 stops at.

Thanks for that. Seems an appalling decision as the Numbers 2 and 5 are the only buses on that section of the N11 and the stops at Jack Whites and Ballinacor are heavily used by students and OAPs in particular. Talking on the phone to family in the area this news hasn't seeped out yet but I'd imagine there'll be an outcry when it does.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Seems an appalling decision as the Numbers 2 and 5 are the only buses on that section of the N11 and the stops at Jack Whites and Ballinacor are heavily used by students and OAPs in particular. Talking on the phone to family in the area this news hasn't seeped out yet but I'd imagine there'll be an outcry when it does.
    Maybe they will still be stopping or serving all those request stops but I can't see them achieving the times claimed if they do, not that it stops them on other routes like the x8 x20 30 004 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I don't know why it hasn't seeped out, it has been on SE Radio several times, there were meetings, successful I might add, in Camolin, to campaign against the dropping of the stop there and I myself raised the issue on the Wexford forum on Boards to be met with general apathy.
    The most appalling part of these changes is the dropping of the stop at St. Vincent's Hospital , apart from one service in each direction daily. BE say the reason for this is the lack of bus priority on Nutley Lane yet the two services which are to use it are the ones likely to meet heavy traffic but ironically are allotted exactly the same running time as other services :confused:. The discontinuation of the overnight services from Dublin Airport, while retaining those from Wexford, seems to be in line with general Government policy, that people will be leaving the country, never to return.
    The upshot of all this is that these are changes driven by accountants and not transport planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bmaxi wrote: »
    I myself raised the issue on the Wexford forum on Boards to be met with general apathy.

The upshot of all this is that these are changes driven by accountants and not transport planners.

The two components outlined by bmaxi are directly linked.

However,the traditional Irish apathy,due in the main to having a lifestyle waay beyond what we can actually afford,is going to be seriously tested in the next 12 months,as the IMF/ECB accountancy driven directives begin to seep through.

Tin Hat time methinks ! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As usual, another post of nonsense. There is only one bus from Rosslare to Waterford. As the 55 timetable clearly indicates, passengers change from the 40 to the 55 at Waterford.

Just for clarification, my post #15 above was in response to yet another erroneous and predictably wrong post by Foggy Lad (which he has now deleted) in which he alleged BE were wasting money by duplicating the two routes between Waterford and Rosslare.

I certainly was not alleging anything about Alek's post which now resides above mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hang on a sec,

Does this mean that to get from Dublin to Rosslare I will either have to change at Wexford, or use the laughably pathetic train?

I only did it a few times a year, but that is a disaster.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I was on the 2 last week and the driver had warned me about this. I didn't think it was happening so soon though! I don't think the drivers are all that impressed by it.

This also means that I have no way of getting home to Wicklow past 11

Hang on a sec,

Does this mean that to get from Dublin to Rosslare I will either have to change at Wexford, or use the laughably pathetic train?

Yes, you will have to change unless you take the once a day service via Tullow.

Remember this is a commercial service that is not subsidised, so the company are entitled to change it as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hang on a sec,

slight tangent, but why would anyone need to go to Rosslare by public transport?

I suppose, its self explainitory that there arent that many reasons seeing as Bus Eireann have cut their service from 30+ Wexford-Rosslare connections to 5 or so to match demand!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

slight tangent, but why would anyone need to go to Rosslare by public transport?

I suppose, its self explainitory that there arent that many reasons seeing as Bus Eireann have cut their service from 30+ Wexford-Rosslare connections to 5 or so to match demand!

People do live there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

MYOB wrote: »
    People do live there.

True but as with every branch of the public service, from Taoiseach to teaboy, people don't matter.

But this is a commercial service - that's the point. It is not subsidised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I actually the loss of the Ballincor/Beehive/Inch/Jack Whites stops is more concerning than the loss/scaling back of the Nutely Lane one - at least in the case of the latter there are alternatives available (walk or get the 47 from UCD), but this is not the case at the former locations. It doesn't give them an edge over Wexford Bus either - Wexford Bus serve all these locations bar Inch (and if you're going into both Arklow and Gorey serving Inch doesn't make a noticeable difference in that you have to go on and off the bypass anyway).

And then of course there's the issue of Ballycanew losing it's service - ironically the services via Ballycanew are quicker, although they do mean avoiding the Ferns/Enniscorthy stops.

Surely there could at least be a limited (perhaps once a day in each direction) serving the stops being removed.

A lot of this seems to be about competing with Wexford Bus' times - which themselves are misleading - ten minutes from Gorey to Arklow? Never seen it happen, not even on the early morning services. Likewise their 16:30 Dublin Airport-Wexford departure is never on time on a weekday, usually a good 10-15 minutes out, not that this is the fault of the drivers. Bus Éireann's times may seem longer, but they're generally a truer reflection of what is actually the journey time. It's a pity the NTA can't pay closer attention to this.

Well perhaps people should start lobbying the NTA to provide a subsidised service for those locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well perhaps people should start lobbying the NTA to provide a subsidised service for those locations?

Spot-on.

Posters now need to re-focus in ALL such service provision issues on the NTA role.

Remember the NTA's remit is countrywide,with the hint being in the word NATIONAL.

Lets see now if the whole "Independent of the Dept of Transport" stuff actually rings true ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Last minute dash to England using Sail Rail.

There is a train that links up with the 9pm Stena Ferry to Fishguard which means you get to London at around 7:30am. You can't do that from Holyhead.

Booking and flying the same day will cost over €300, this way costs €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Hmm, still no sign of any notices or posters in either the Wexford or Rosslare Harbour bus stops advertising the changes.

Last minute dash to England using Sail Rail.

There is a train that links up with the 9pm Stena Ferry to Fishguard which means you get to London at around 7:30am. You can't do that from Holyhead.

Booking and flying the same day will cost over €300, this way costs €60.
    indeed, you get a bus or train to meet that particular connection. And there'll still be that connection there.

Is there a demand though to get to this port 24 hours a day when theres no ferry anywhere to be seen?
    Obviously not, so I dont see the problem.

This is a NON subsidised service that wasnt paying for itsself so theres 2 options
    a ) find money to subsidise a bus service that isnt being used
    b ) cut the service to sustainable levels

as others said, the changes further up the country with ommited stops probably are more of concern than cutting the services to a port that very few have any need to goto outside of the couple of sailing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

I would agree that a near 24 hour service to Rosslare is a bit excessive, but entirely cutting the entire service is also a bit stupid. They could have retained at least two or three direct services from Dublin to Rosslare Harbour to allow for connections to the ferry services.

The weird thing is that the regional summary timetable lists a 002 service from Wexford to Rosslare (dep 18.20), yet this is not mentioned on the 002 timetable. I am guessing this is the 15.30 Eurolines feeder service, but this could catch out a few people looking to use that service.

EDIT: That last service apparently only runs on Sundays (??). There is a planned 002 service ex Rosslare at 16.30 Mon to Sat.

• Advertisement

V_Moth wrote: »
    <snip>

The weird thing is that the regional summary timetable lists a 002 service from Wexford to Rosslare (dep 18.20), yet this is not mentioned on the 002 timetable. I am guessing this is the 15.30 Eurolines feeder service, but this could catch out a few people looking to use that service.

<snip>
    that regional timetable is valid from 2010 so has to be updated yet with the route 2 changes.

a massive ommision from the NTA in giving the OK to the changes is that the evening ferry from Rosslare at 9pm is no longer reachable on a Sunday by train OR by bus !

The route 40 bus does NOT goto Rosslare on a Sunday and any passengers from Cork and beyond are supposed to get onto the 002 at Wexford. But of course no route 2 busses will go to Rosslare any more.

I'd love to be in Wexford station on Sunday the 30th to see the station master tell any passengers who have arrived from Dublin or Cork that they have to find their own way to catch the ferry from there!

Advertisement