Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin CD recruitment

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Dave! wrote: »
    Are the CD having another recruitment drive soon?

Like so many others, I want to join the DFB when they start recruiting again, so was hoping the AFS would be good experience for that!

However if the AFS is impossible to get into then I'm open to doing other stuff.

Where do I apply?

Thanks

Have a look at the website www.dublincivildefence.com and contact their headquarters when they open (Tuesday?) 01-6772699

Never heard of an AFS unit being too full to accept new members, they may try offer other units to you but if your heart and soul is looking for firefighting AFS is the right place to teach you the basics

• Registered Users Posts: 20 anyone_local

Very professional recruitment page allright. Waist deep in sh!tty floodwater whilst wearing fire kit. Ever hear of dry suits lads?

Very professional recruitment page allright. Waist deep in sh!tty floodwater whilst wearing fire kit. Ever hear of dry suits lads?

That's an old photo from 2002, where the DFB and army present were also without drysuits... since then all water rescue crews and flood response units have drysuits:

f97fc19c.jpg

As in the above picture of flooding in Sallins in 2010, Water rescue members wear orange and black typhoon or northern diver drysuits, and the other two AFS members are wearing red typhoon emergency drysuits...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 anyone_local

d3exile wrote: »

That's an old photo from 2002, where the DFB and army present were also without drysuits... since then all water rescue crews and flood response units have drysuits:

f97fc19c.jpg

As in the above picture of flooding in Sallins in 2010, Water rescue members wear orange and black typhoon or northern diver drysuits, and the other two AFS members are wearing red typhoon emergency drysuits...

They do realise fire helmets are not water rescue rated??

f97fc19c.jpg

They do realise fire helmets are not water rescue rated??

They are so long as chin straps aren't attached. That's according to the DFB Swift Water Rescue crews that qualified the DCD crews to 'Water Awareness' level, anyway... and the same opinion would be held by DCD's own SRT's as well.

Anything else??? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Have a look at the website www.dublincivildefence.com and contact their headquarters when they open (Tuesday?) 01-6772699

Never heard of an AFS unit being too full to accept new members, they may try offer other units to you but if your heart and soul is looking for firefighting AFS is the right place to teach you the basics

apparently everyone wants to join the AFS to get into DFB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

i completed a occupational first aid course last week and hope to keep my skills fresh as well as offer them for use in a crisis situation. as well as expanding my skill set. i was looking into volintering with the civil defense. i filled in a short form asking me my email and tel number last week.

is there a backlog of applications or do they just process them on a certin time of year?

i have alot of questions about the commitments needed to be a member as i work mainly on weekends i am wondering would this rule me out? its not that i could not get the occasional one off but not every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Fuinseog wrote: »
    are CD search and Rescue units highly trained in things like mountain rescue or in the case of a call out, just another body?
    Mountain & cave rescue is handled by a separate set of voluntary organisations (see www.mountainrescue.ie).

The MR teams from time to time do work with CD, e.g Reek Sunday on Croagh Patrick.

• Advertisement

i completed a occupational first aid course last week and hope to keep my skills fresh as well as offer them for use in a crisis situation. as well as expanding my skill set. i was looking into volintering with the civil defense. i filled in a short form asking me my email and tel number last week.

is there a backlog of applications or do they just process them on a certin time of year?

i have alot of questions about the commitments needed to be a member as i work mainly on weekends i am wondering would this rule me out? its not that i could not get the occasional one off but not every week.

Doubt it would rule you out, call DCD HQ on 01-6772699 and ask there whats the story with your application, as far as I know rules have slackened slightly and now a lot of people are starting directly with their chosen units...

Ask for a meeting or talk on the phone with the CDO or assistant if you have any queries about your availability they will be able to say whether it would work or not

Advertisement