Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

So they are looking for two things.

To supply H+ ions so the Mn7 is reduced to Mn2 ?

I really need a B1 for chemistry :/

Im referring to the iron tablet experiment....the KMnO4 is a purple oxidising agent, its oxidation number the of the Mn is +7 which is purple in colour however if there are not a sufficient amount of H+ ions it will only be reduced to Mn+4 which we dont want, this is a brown colour...we want the Mn+7 (purple) to go all the way to Mn+2 which is colourless.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Form an orderly queue now :P

Ehm, I've UCD down first because I'd like to do the premed and I just felt I'd have liked it better than Trinity. If I get medicine at all, I'd say it'll be by some miracle, like third round offers, to Galway :pac: Where are you hoping to go?

Does anyone else feel like they're leading Galway on? I've gotten at least 3 booklets from them about medicine and they emailed my wishing me luck in my exams. :pac: I feel kinda bad cause I have no intention of going there.

Also....for the iron tablets you could easily be asked your observations in the conical flask....
    now this could be asked in many ways they could say...
    A student noticed a brown percipitate in the conical flask explain and what could have been done to prevent it ?
    Answer: This is due to the production of Mn+4, due to lack of H+ions...to prevent this add H2So4

Observations in the conical flask....
    Purple --> Colourless (Mn+7 -> Mn+2)
    Purple --> Brown (Mn+7 -> Mn+4)

Also you maybe be asked why as the tiration proceeded did reaction appear to speed up?
    This is due to the production of the Mn+2 which is a catalyst (this is your example for not only auto-catalysis but homogeneous catalysis! :D

Really watch out for this: Why dont you use HCl to provide H+ ions?

This is due to the chlorine which is itself an oxidising agent and would affect the results drastically!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

Why couldn't chemistry be the first exam in the leaving cert!! I'm only doing chemistry this year, did the L.C. last year. The wait is driving me nuts, a man can only go over organic chemistry so many times!! Hopefully the organic questions won't be alkynes of trouble!!

• Advertisement

mocker2012 wrote: »
    Why couldn't chemistry be the first exam in the leaving cert!! I'm only doing chemistry this year, did the L.C. last year. The wait is driving me nuts, a man can only go over organic chemistry so many times!! Hopefully the organic questions won't be alkynes of trouble!!

Nice pun :P

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

woopah92 wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel like they're leading Galway on? I've gotten at least 3 booklets from them about medicine and they emailed my wishing me luck in my exams. :pac: I feel kinda bad cause I have no intention of going there.

Yeah, no other college me has contacted me as much as they have, I feel so loved by them :pac: btw, does anyone know if I can put medicine in Cork down on my CAO now? I hadn't put it on previous, but I've done the HPAT n' stuff, so hopefully it's not too late?

Yeah, no other college me has contacted me as much as they have, I feel so loved by them :pac: btw, does anyone know if I can put medicine in Cork down on my CAO now? I hadn't put it on previous, but I've done the HPAT n' stuff, so hopefully it's not too late?

No is a restrictive entry course must have been down by the 1st closing date :/

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

No is a restrictive entry course must have been down by the 1st closing date :/

Ah sure not to worry, I'd rather Galway if I'd to travel across the country anyway, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

How can you determine how many lone pairs a molecule has? Last year I noticed they put up PH3 and asked what shape of molecule it was. Its pyramidal according to the marking scheme but how does one know its not triangular planar?

• Advertisement

How can you determine how many lone pairs a molecule has? Last year I noticed they put up PH3 and asked what shape of molecule it was. Its pyramidal according to the marking scheme but how does one know its not triangular planar?

By Hund's Rule of Maximum Multiplicity. Phosporus has 15 electrons. 2 in the first shell, 8 in the second and 5 in the 3. There is 4 sub-energy levels in the 3rd shell. Each electron will fill one singly but the 5th is forced to share with one of the previous electrons.

By Hund's Rule of Maximum Multiplicity. Phosporus has 15 electrons. 2 in the first shell, 8 in the second and 5 in the 3. There is 4 sub-energy levels in the 3rd shell. Each electron will fill one singly but the 5th is forced to share with one of the previous electrons.

But how do you know? I thought the number of the shell dictates the number of orbitals so theres 4 sublevels in the 4th shell?

But how do you know? I thought the number of the shell dictates the number of orbitals so theres 4 sublevels in the 4th shell?

Well it's just something you learn I guess.
    Like the first shell has a sub-level s
    Then the second shell had an s and a p orbital. But the p orbital has 3 sub-levels again px py and pz, each can hold 2.
    Then there is a 3s, 3p and then a 3d orbital. The d orbital can hold 10 electrons.

For showing the ethanoic acid (produced in the organic chemistry reflux experiment) is an acid, is it ok to use the CaCO3 example rather than the Na2CO3? And just say fizzing observed and CO2 is given off therefore it is an acid?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AB2013

For showing the ethanoic acid (produced in the organic chemistry reflux experiment) is an acid, is it ok to use the CaCO3 example rather than the Na2CO3? And just say fizzing observed and CO2 is given off therefore it is an acid?

Yeah because Acid + Sulphate ---> Salt + water + carbon dioxide

:)

AB2013 wrote: »
    Yeah because Acid + Sulphate ---> Salt + water + carbon dioxide

:)

Uhm what? That explains nothing? Acid plus sulphate? Wheres the sulphate coming from? Dealing with ethanoic acid? And Limestone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AB2013

Uhm what? That explains nothing? Acid plus sulphate? Wheres the sulphate coming from? Dealing with ethanoic acid? And Limestone?

Hahaha woops my brain is fried! I meant carbonate :D

Well it's just something you learn I guess.
    Like the first shell has a sub-level s
    Then the second shell had an s and a p orbital. But the p orbital has 3 sub-levels again px py and pz, each can hold 2.
    Then there is a 3s, 3p and then a 3d orbital. The d orbital can hold 10 electrons.

Ah I get it now. Thanks!

Ah I get it now. Thanks!

Are you sure? I know I'm not very good at explaining things! :(

Are you sure? I know I'm not very good at explaining things! :(

Yup! 2 electrons occupy 2 orbitals, there are 15 electrons in P so this leaves 1 lone electron. Right?

• Advertisement

Yup! 2 electrons occupy 2 orbitals, there are 15 electrons in P so this leaves 1 lone electron. Right?

Here, I drew this :P I thought it might explain it better :P

If you have chemistry live theres a table in the chapter on bonding :D thats just perfect really.
    In recent times they have been giving things like what are the possible shapes of AB2
    So easiest way i find is to go what molecules do i know of that have 2 of one element and one of the other...H2O and CO2....which are v-shaped and linear...:D

Btw you guys do know you can use the periodic table to tell you how many pairs in the outermost shell right?
    If you count across the period...it tells you how many electrons in the outermost shell! Lets take for example....Carbon...

-Ok so locate the line going across in which Carbon (C) can be found...

-Its in the second line/period from the top...this tells us there are 2 shells in a carbon atom.

-Then we count which group it is in by counting the elements between group one and Carbons group...

-So we count...Li (1), Be (2), B(3), C(4)...

-This tells us there are four electrons in the outermost shell of carbon.

So if asked the shape of CH4 you draw a big C and place 4 dots around it...

You then need to find the valency (number of outer electrons to be shared) in Hydrogen..it is in group 1 period 1 telling us it has one shell with one outer electron it needs 1 more electron to comply with the octect rule...so we have 4 Hydrogens which need one more electron each and 1 carbon with 4 electrons each needing one to have a shell with 8.

-Each H takes an electron to pair with :) equallly space these and voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Btw you guys do know you can use the periodic table to tell you how many pairs in the outermost shell right?
    If you count across the period...it tells you how many electrons in the outermost shell! Lets take for example....Carbon...

-Ok so locate the line going across in which Carbon (C) can be found...

-Its in the second line/period from the top...this tells us there are 2 shells in a carbon atom.

-Then we count which group it is in by counting the elements between group one and Carbons group...

-So we count...Li (1), Be (2), B(3), C(4)...

-This tells us there are four electrons in the outermost shell of carbon.

So if asked the shape of CH4 you draw a big C and place 4 dots around it...

You then need to find the valency (number of outer electrons to be shared) in Hydrogen..it is in group 1 period 1 telling us it has one shell with one outer electron it needs 1 more electron to comply with the octect rule...so we have 4 Hydrogens which need one more electron each and 1 carbon with 4 electrons each needing one to have a shell with 8.

-Each H takes an electron to pair with :) equallly space these and voila!

That's Junior Cert covalent bonding explained well.

Surely you've got the shape & structure if methane clear in your head for the last 3-; years?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Marry me?!
    Back off, she's mine!
    Typical lads, offer to marry a girl if she gives them what they want!

But after the exam is over ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

I presume you're referencing the experiment with the dichromate salts we can't do. I'm not 100% sure if that would be acceptable because an acidic oxide, like Sulphur dioxide will neutralise a base the same way an acid will, but to the extend of my knowledge is not an acid itself until in solution.
    If I was doing that question I would write out the reaction equation for its reaction with Na2CO3 or CaCO3 and then explain why carboxylic acids are acids. They lose a H+ due to the stability of the carboxylate ion, (C=OO-), and form an area of electronegativity.
    I presume if you wrote down the reaction equation and that, because CO2 is evolved/produced in the reaction along with a salt and water, it could be classed as a neutralisation reaction.
    Here's the reaction equation for the Na2CO3:
    2CH3COOH+Na2CO3-->2CH3COONa+CO2+H20

and the CaCO3:
    2CH3COOH+CaCO3-->(CH3COO)2Ca+CO2+H20

hope this helped somewhat :D

Haha thanks appreciate the hassle! Yes I get it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

reading through this thread makes me realise how little I know

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Does anyone have the Principle and processes of paper chromotography? Not in my book

• Advertisement

0mega wrote: »
    Does anyone have the Principle and processes of paper chromotography? Not in my book

Different components of a mixture are attracted by different extents to the stationary/mobile phases

Advertisement