Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

production of sulfuric acid is my pick of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Equilibrium never seems to go my way. Experiment Qs and divided question 10s and 11s are beauties, as well as Q5,6,7 theory and organics.

Also I'm thinking Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity or perhaps Pauli's exclusion principle will be asked in q5.
    I don't think they've ever been asked? You'd just need to know them to apply knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WigglinJelly

Folens online have good videos of the experiments if you need to watch them.. good revision to watch someone else doing them :)
    You just go on the folensonline website and make an account first I think.. then click on Chemistry Live book and all the experiments come up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Listen to Justin Timberlake > Chemistry study.
    Bad time to discover spotify -_-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Also I'm thinking Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity or perhaps Pauli's exclusion principle will be asked in q5.
    I don't think they've ever been asked? You'd just need to know them to apply knowledge.

I'd say they are more like short questions for question 4.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I'd say they are more like short questions for question 4.

I'd say they could be also but I do think it could be a part of question 5. They've split that question into 3 different parts before and it would be nice to have:
    "Define Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity.
    Show the arrangement of electrons in a x atom, showing each sub energy level."

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

Remind me of Hunds rule again. I don't recall ever having learnt it :P

Raeral wrote: »
    Remind me of Hunds rule again. I don't recall ever having learnt it :P

Hund's rule states that when there are 2 or more orbitals of equal energy available, electrons will fill them singly before in pairs.

My teacher always says think of it like getting on a bus, you never sit beside someone unless you have to. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

Hund's rule states that when there are 2 or more orbitals of equal energy available, electrons will fill them singly before in pairs.

My teacher always says think of it like getting on a bus, you never sit beside someone unless you have to. :P

Ah yes, I remember it now. Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Lonepiper

Could anyone explain how to find the instantaneous rate on a graph actually?

Lonepiper wrote: »

Draw a tangent to the curve at the point and find the slope of the tangent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Lonepiper wrote: »

I think the book does it in a slightly different way but what I do is get the point on the graph, draw a tangent through it and use Y2-Y1/X2-X1 to get the slope of the tangent, which is the rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Ahh, I forgot to make that Youtube video of the definition songs I made. I have failed you, fellow chemistry students :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Ahh, I forgot to make that Youtube video of the definition songs I made. I have failed you, fellow chemistry students :(

There's still time. B-)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

I think esters will come up in the organic section. They havent had a full Question since 2004 i think.
    Well if they do this year thats my favorite section ruined. I just dont understand them at all >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

There's still time. B-)

Alright, I'll try do one today, but I'm warning ye, I can't sing very well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Can't wait ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    I think esters will come up in the organic section. They havent had a full Question since 2004 i think.
    Well if they do this year thats my favorite section ruined. I just dont understand them at all >.<

I know the soap so well. I can draw the structure with my eyes closed :3

I know the soap so well. I can draw the structure with my eyes closed :3
    do we need to be able to draw that big, long structure of sopa with the polar and non polar parts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

do we need to be able to draw that big, long structure of sopa with the polar and non polar parts?

Yep. Looks so sciency when you draw it out:D

This is what i am/will be studying for the chemistry exam:

No.1 Exp

No.2 Exp

No.3 Exp

Short questions i.e. All defintitions, +whatever will cover me from below. Always manageable anyway.

Fuels and thermochem

Equilibrium/Rates

Acids+bases/Ph and indicator/Water

for the option question: (Radioactivity/Electronegativity/Electrolysis/Gases/Stoichiometry/Oxidation and reduction/Machines)

As a very last resort+an extra question, I will lightly study the important stuff in Q5.

Alright, I'll try do one today, but I'm warning ye, I can't sing very well :pac:
    We're waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting, waiting for something to happen very soon..... #Humms Blissfully

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Q5 is the easy stuff. I don't get why people don't do it. :/

woopah92 wrote: »
    Q5 is the easy stuff. I don't get why people don't do it. :/
    I usually don't have to. It's the worst answered question in chemistry....
    It's do-able but It's not nice in my opinion. :)

Tommyrawr wrote: »

When you say a full question do you mean like the soap question? How could they give a full question on just one family? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

I usually don't have to. It's the worst answered question in chemistry....
    It's do-able but It's not nice in my opinion. :)

I'm with you completely there... Q5 is also like.. the "paragraph answer" question and let's face it who wants to write paragraphs in Chemistry? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

well i FOR ONE enjoy writing paragraphs in chemistry!

Yeah I used to think Q5 was a great, dependable q and thought I'd pulled 50/50 in my mocks, only got 35 and I'm still not entirely sure why. If I do it it'll be one out of at least nine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

Wanna do a quiz? It might help us with a abit of study? Sooo why do you add sulfuric acid in the titrations?

Advertisement