Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not taxing a car on purpose, what penalties are there?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

a) €60 fine.

b) Death penalty;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

What are the penalties for:

a) driving a car without tax

b) driving a car which has been declared off the road?

A) 60 quid fine

B) according to this article in the indo (can't find official source as I'm on the phone, it's a 4k fine and up to 6 months in the joy upon conviction.....I'll have the 60 quid fine please.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/drivers-who-fail-to-declare-car-off-road-will-face-hefty-tax-bill-29175523.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Pa2k wrote: »
    My tax ran out at the end of January and the car was seized Wednesday. Got it back Thursday afternoon costing €125. Still didn't tax it and haven't received any other contact from gardaí. By law your fine for 2 months anything after that is garda discretion

Ideal way to get an opportuinity to hide a gps tracker in it .......

must be hard to hold in the laugh though giving it back

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Two things:

1. If everyone decided to push the limit of the law there'd be no money in the coffers to build and repair roads,

2. If you want to drive a car on the public road do so legally - how would you feel if an uninsured driver caused €15,000 damage to your vehicle ?

I feel the same about tax dodgers....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Will insurance companies pay up if an insured car does not have current tax?
    Do those of you who drive without tax bother to buy insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pa2k wrote: »
    By law your fine for 2 months anything after that is garda discretion
    This is not correct. By law you can be prosecuted if your tax is out by a single day. In practice most Gardai will let you away with it if it's out by less than a month and won't take the car away unless it's out by 3 months+. But there's nothing stopping them from prosecuting for tax that's literally just expired.
    so you can drive your car without tax then "sell" it to your mate and then have them "sell" it back to you and that would avoid any back taxing?
    interesting..
    When it comes to tax, you need to be careful about pissing about like this because the rules aren't black-and-white about how things work.
    If you ping-pong a car like this you may still be liable for the tax burden, and you could also face charges of deliberate tax evasion.

A "legitimate" way of doing this would be to have your mate drive a similarly nice older vehicle and you swop cars every six months or so. It may still ring alarm bells in the tax office, but provided that you can show each of you has legitimately and in good faith swapped your vehicles, there's nothing they could do.
    Jimjay wrote: »
    Will insurance companies pay up if an insured car does not have current tax?
    Yes. An expired tax disc does not render a vehicle unroadworthy, so insurance companies cannot void or otherwise modify the insurance policy based on it as its immaterial to the insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Two things:

1. If everyone decided to push the limit of the law there'd be no money in the coffers to build and repair roads,

I feel the same about tax dodgers....:mad:

You do know that the revenue from motor tax doesnt go directly to the development and maintenance of the road network?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Two things:

Money from motor tax is rarely directly spent on road maintenance. It's goes into the big pot with every other tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

only details I can find are from a year old independent.ie artilce

It will also be an offence to make a false or misleading declaration, which can carrying a fine of up to €4,000 and/or six months imprisonment on summary conviction.

This is on top of existing penalties for not having a motor tax disc, which carries a €60 on-the-spot fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Caliden wrote: »
    Money from motor tax is rarely directly spent on road maintenance. It's goes into the big pot with every other tax.

And from there on to billionaire investment bankers who gambled big time on unsecured bonds that should have been burned, but because the Irish government is about as business savvy as a new-born baby lamb, they jumped up and said "No, we'll pay! Every penny! Plus interest and a little extra for yourself, so you can buy another yacht!".
    So you can rest assured that your tax money will go 2/3 to pay off some faceless, nameless banker who works in a glass and marble Taj Mahal, provided generously by the Irish taxpayer.
    I personally don't feel too bad about cutting a few corners when trying to keep the roof above my head, which the Irish government is trying to steal from me by drowning me in new taxes and levies.
    You cannot survive in this country by being honest. The Irish government knows that, so they build an extra 20% into their taxes to make up for losses.
    That means if you are honest and pay every penny, you are paying about 20% too much. Plus you stand to lose your house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

----The Irish government knows that, so they build an extra 20% into their taxes to make up for losses.
    That means if you are honest and pay every penny, you are paying about 20% too much. Plus you stand to lose your house.

not many opportunity for PAYE worker to underpay tax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cabb8ge wrote: »
    not many opportunity for PAYE worker to underpay tax

That is sadly true. And also the reason why the average Joe has to bail out the state and lose his house in the process and the bigwigs get gold-plated salaries, bonuses, share options and pensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Pa2k

gctest50 wrote: »
    Ideal way to get an opportuinity to hide a gps tracker in it .......

must be hard to hold in the laugh though giving it back

Tbf it would be impossible to hide one on or in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Pa2k

seamus wrote: »
    This is not correct. By law you can be prosecuted if your tax is out by a single day. In practice most Gardai will let you away with it if it's out by less than a month and won't take the car away unless it's out by 3 months+. But there's nothing stopping them from prosecuting for tax that's literally just expired.

I didn't write that correctly i meant they can only seize it if it is out 2 months or more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

How do you tax a car again if it has been declared off the road?

I tried to do it online, but it wouldn't let me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You need to go to motor tax office yourself, or post the forms.

You have to go to the tax office with it.
    Stupid system. You should be able to tax a declared of the road car online, but no can't be done:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

You have to go to the tax office with it.
    Stupid system. You should be able to tax a declared of the road car online, but no can't be done:mad:

Absolutely unreal...

Are such penalties actually enforced for being caught making a false declaration or is there a certain amount of discretion?

Absolutely unreal...

Are such penalties actually enforced for being caught making a false declaration or is there a certain amount of discretion?

I don't know. I haven't heard of anyone but hey I don't want to be the first person to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

That is sadly true. And also the reason why the average Joe has to bail out the state and lose his house in the process and the bigwigs get gold-plated salaries, bonuses, share options and pensions.

Not sure Doctor if you mean that PAYE employees should underpay tax.
    As a PAYE taxpayer myself , I realise that the possibility of avoiding tax is negligible and that it may be frustrating to see the private sector claiming for all sorts of spurious expenses and "settling" with revenue when we have to pay every cent. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I regularly see cars parked on my street in Dublin with tax gone out by 2, 3 even 4 years sometimes. The Gardai don't give a sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Not sure Doctor if you mean that PAYE employees should underpay tax.
    As a PAYE taxpayer myself , I realise that the possibility of avoiding tax is negligible and that it may be frustrating to see the private sector claiming for all sorts of spurious expenses and "settling" with revenue when we have to pay every cent. :(

:confused:

PAYE workers work either in private or public sector.
    I not understand what you mean by private sector claiming spurious expenses etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

...... that it may be frustrating to see the private sector claiming for all sorts of spurious expenses and "settling" with revenue when we have to pay every cent. :(

I guess you mean self employed not private sector.
    Anyway, this is an off topic rant but as a tax paying self employed person (with no immediate entitlement to welfare should I need it) I think I should point out that there are in fact two sides to every story. True, Im allowed to deduct business expenses such as vehicle costs, equipment etc from my income before tax is considered. What most people fail to realise is that the tax credits for self employed is 1650 or so less than if the person was paye meaning in effect, the paye worker can earn 8250 more than self employed person at standard tax rate before they pay tax.
    I figure its designed like that to allow for non claimable expenses such as driving to work etc for paye people.
    Additionally, I think its seldom considered that self employed have a quite serious additional workload in account keeping and the strong likely hood of revenue audit. With all tax affairs 100%, an audit is still super stressful and you really do consider why you do it at those times.
    A paye job with guaranteed pay, holidays, holiday pay, redundancy entitlements, Welfare entitlements etc doesnt sound bad to me.
    The major benefit to self employment is working own hours, its not tax system as far as I can see.

Advertisement