Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not taxing a car on purpose, what penalties are there?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I regularly see cars parked on my street in Dublin with tax gone out by 2, 3 even 4 years sometimes. The Gardai don't give a sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Not sure Doctor if you mean that PAYE employees should underpay tax.
    As a PAYE taxpayer myself , I realise that the possibility of avoiding tax is negligible and that it may be frustrating to see the private sector claiming for all sorts of spurious expenses and "settling" with revenue when we have to pay every cent. :(

:confused:

PAYE workers work either in private or public sector.
    I not understand what you mean by private sector claiming spurious expenses etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

...... that it may be frustrating to see the private sector claiming for all sorts of spurious expenses and "settling" with revenue when we have to pay every cent. :(

I guess you mean self employed not private sector.
    Anyway, this is an off topic rant but as a tax paying self employed person (with no immediate entitlement to welfare should I need it) I think I should point out that there are in fact two sides to every story. True, Im allowed to deduct business expenses such as vehicle costs, equipment etc from my income before tax is considered. What most people fail to realise is that the tax credits for self employed is 1650 or so less than if the person was paye meaning in effect, the paye worker can earn 8250 more than self employed person at standard tax rate before they pay tax.
    I figure its designed like that to allow for non claimable expenses such as driving to work etc for paye people.
    Additionally, I think its seldom considered that self employed have a quite serious additional workload in account keeping and the strong likely hood of revenue audit. With all tax affairs 100%, an audit is still super stressful and you really do consider why you do it at those times.
    A paye job with guaranteed pay, holidays, holiday pay, redundancy entitlements, Welfare entitlements etc doesnt sound bad to me.
    The major benefit to self employment is working own hours, its not tax system as far as I can see.

Advertisement