Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What I'm getting from this is that you're into large, aggressive women. ;)

I've never thought about it quite like that before but it's all starting to make sense now :)

Edit: for the record my wife is neither large or aggressive, she'd kick my ass for suggesting otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

griffin100 wrote: »
    My wife texted me in work today to tell me my 6 year old son would not move from watching women's beach volleybal :)

Me - I've found a new appreciation of women's water polo. Tough sport played by Amazonian like women in high cut bathing suits - what more could you want? (eh does that make me sound like a perv? :))

Don't worry. Mens swimming is to women what womens beach volleyball(and apparently womens water polo) is to men.

Now, where do I find a feed for mens water polo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I've never thought about it quite like that before but it's all starting to make sense now :)

Edit: for the record my wife is neither large or aggressive, she'd kick my ass for suggesting otherwise.

Ooooooo....and I'm guessing you crazy kids are into some kinky role playing too! ;)

Don't worry. Mens swimming is to women what womens beach volleyball(and apparently womens water polo) is to men.

Now, where do I find a feed for mens water polo?

Don't bother trying to find the men's diving feed. Scrawny, pale men bouncing and twisting in unison in brightly colored briefs just don't conjure up hunky, rippling Olympic-ness to me. Griffin?????

Swim

Just steady swimming and pulling......steady until I saw a storm-a-brewing and had to pick it up. Saw the flash of lightening, waited to hear the thunder, then did some quick calculations to determine how much time I had before I had to skedaddle out of the pool.

3,000 yards as follows:
    2,000 free
    800 pull
    200 free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Don't bother trying to find the men's diving feed. Scrawny, pale men bouncing and twisting in unison in brightly colored briefs just don't conjure up hunky, rippling Olympic-ness to me. Griffin?????

I've missed my true calling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good article in the Irish Times today about wild swimming in Ireland, will help you be better prepared for your next trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Good article in the Irish Times today about wild swimming in Ireland, will help you be better prepared for your next trip.

Saw this earlier and it reminded me of a similar article or set of articles the guardian ran a while back now.

So when did open water swimming becoming 'Wild swimming' ;) a lot of entries on the list are in non-designated swimming areas. As in areas that aren't under lifeguard watch - but then again these areas are only supervised for 3 months of the year. Wild eh ;)

interested wrote: »
    Saw this earlier and it reminded me of a similar article or set of articles the guardian ran a while back now.

So when did open water swimming becoming 'Wild swimming' ;) a lot of entries on the list are in non-designated swimming areas. As in areas that aren't under lifeguard watch - but then again these areas are only supervised for 3 months of the year. Wild eh ;)

I thought "wild" as in "to the waters and the ....". Disappointed if its a new term to add sexification to what once was just OW. Still, there's a whole list of new (to me) spots for a drip, the more the merrier.

From the article, there seems to be a correlation between OW swimming and coffee drinking/distributing/selling.

I thought "wild" as in "to the waters and the ....". Disappointed if its a new term to add sexification to what once was just OW. Still, there's a whole list of new (to me) spots for a drip, the more the merrier.

From the article, there seems to be a correlation between OW swimming and coffee drinking/distributing/selling.

yep, this is what strikes a cord with me - take something relatively inexpensive (togs, hat, goggles and for some a wetsuit in the back of a car) and re-brand it, stick a coffee machine close by, maybe a tasteful cafe ... lane it off ... oh, hang on .. it might rain so we'll stick a roof on it and call it a 'pool'. I also genuinely worry about articles like this glamourising swimming in some areas where no-one will come to help you out.

I've missed my true calling.

Hey Ginger Spice, didn't you also want to be a teenage girl??? ;)

• Advertisement

I thought "wild" as in "to the waters and the ....". Disappointed if its a new term to add sexification to what once was just OW.

Open water swimming should be open water swimming....but "wild swimming" should be like an adventure sport - sort of in the same vein as a mud/obstacle run but in a swamp or some type of natural aqua-environment that is varied and disparate. Now that would be a blast. :D

yep, this is what strikes a cord with me - take something relatively inexpensive (togs, hat, goggles and for some a wetsuit in the back of a car) and re-brand it, stick a coffee machine close by, maybe a tasteful cafe ... lane it off ... oh, hang on .. it might rain so we'll stick a roof on it and call it a 'pool'. I also genuinely worry about articles like this glamourising swimming in some areas where no-one will come to help you out.

Hey, depending on if and how much Starbucks wants to sponsor the Wild Swimming Adventure Sport race, we can negotiate the coffee machines and tasteful cafes. ;)

(But seriously, I do concur with your point(s), the both of you. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

You've moved - I was wondering why I was not seeing any updates !

Ok ... here is the Bill Rodgers on Boston podcast I mentioned a while ago. It is relevant to Streamtown too as the course profile are supposed to be similar.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15815

By the way - as part of the second qualifying time group you can confidently book your Boston hotel now if you plan to run it.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    You've moved - I was wondering why I was not seeing any updates !

Ok ... here is the Bill Rodgers on Boston podcast I mentioned a while ago. It is relevant to Streamtown too as the course profile are supposed to be similar.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15815

By the way - as part of the second qualifying time group you can confidently book your Boston hotel now if you plan to run it.

Yep, apparently the movers came last night when I was fast asleep. Took me a while to even find myself this morning!!! I'm not one who's convinced about this move (I'm not keen on change - I can eat cheerios for breakfast, tuna fish for lunch, eggs for dinner, and ice cream for dessert day after day after day and not get tired of it) - already missing the running peeps....but stop by for a visit anytime you'd like!!! I've already been lurking on your log.....;)

Thanks for the Boston link....and it's funny you mention the hotel room because I actually did book that last weekend. It's only 20$ to cancel, and the hotel is just a half mile from the start line - booked it from Friday to Tuesday. If I don't get in, I'll just cancel the reservation. No biggie!!!

Open water swimming should be open water swimming....but "wild swimming" should be like an adventure sport - sort of in the same vein as a mud/obstacle run but in a swamp or some type of natural aqua-environment that is varied and disparate. Now that would be a blast. :D

Wild swimming needs defined parameters. None of yer middle aged Irish Times ladies getting their hair wet to the bouy and back, and calling it "wild". That's chattering classes OW swimming. It's only wild if:

-everyone is naked
    -drunk/high
    -total kinky free-for-all, like the 70's key bowl. Someone grabs your bits, you have to grab them back. While everyone watches.
    -jellyfish are used as lubricant.

Now that's wild.

Wild swimming needs defined parameters. None of yer middle aged Irish Times ladies getting their hair wet to the bouy and back, and calling it "wild". That's chattering classes OW swimming. It's only wild if:

-everyone is naked
    -drunk/high
    -total kinky free-for-all, like the 70's key bowl. Someone grabs your bits, you have to grab them back. While everyone watches.

Now that's wild.

This hippie-chick says sign me up!!! :D;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

-everyone is naked
    -drunk/high

Now that's wild.
    Someone needs to put bromide in your tea.

Oryx wrote: »
    Someone needs to put bromide in your tea.

It might counter-act the methylamphetamine in my wine. Lest you be troubled by thoughts of my sexual abandon, may I assure you I'm strictly missionary, twice a month, with the lights off. My greater concern is the abuse of the English language.

Swim

I never wear a swim cap - can't stand them. I much prefer the freedom and the feel of the water all around me and my hair flowing in a pony tail behind me. Is this somehow connected to Monsieur Godel's wild swimming? Only he would know for sure. ;)

But the cap....wore it to start getting used to the feel of it and how the goggles would react to it. Hated it. It's buoyant, but I hated how it felt, especially off the wall....but the good news is there are no walls in the lake. Goggles did fine. I don't believe the cap made me any faster, but who knows. Good session overall - my first 200 was slow while my second 200 was much better, but I really pushed the four 100s and was happy with them.

2,600 yards as follows:
    400 free warm up
    2 x 200 free - off on 4 min - 2:45, 2:39
    400 pull
    4 x 100 free - off on 2 min - 1:15, 1:15, 1:14, 1:12
    400 pull
    5 x 40 free - off on 1 min - :27, :26, :27, :27, :26
    200 pull
    200 breast cool down

LSR

I knew this morning when I left the house at 6:30 to go to work that today's run would be miserable as the outside temp was already 80 degrees.....and boy was I right. I had toyed with the idea of swapping out next weekend's 17 mile LSR with this weekend's 13 mile LSR because of the tri the following weekend (in the spirit of taper), but I decided that I could not stomach 17 miles today so I stuck with the scheduled 13 miles that already had me experiencing waves of nausea. :( If I didn't have to work every blessed morning of every blessed week I could knock these LSRs out early in the day before the sun starts to cook everything and the humidity starts to suffocate everything, but I'm not that lucky. What concerns me is that August is routinely the hottest month of the year - the dog days of summer - and I'm entering the meatiest part of my marathon plan.

Any way....enough complaining. On to the happy part of this post, and that would be.....I had decided that I would lift my spirits and keep my body cool by wearing my little black running dress on this run, but I had to find it first. Not on the shelf.....not hung up....but I did spy a splashy little dress I had purchased two years ago but had never worn. Why did I buy it? For a reunion I was attending that I wanted to look good for. Why did I not wear it? After I got home and put it on again outside the dress shop and in front of my hubby it was decided that it was a little too short and a little too form fitting to be worn in public. I tossed it on just for fun this morning to see how I'm doing and to give me a bit of a charge, and it fits great!! I think even better than it did two years ago. :) Still don't have the guts to wear it in public, but I'll keep it around as a measuring tool to keep me disciplined and in line.

Any way....enough happy stuff. On to the run. The plan called for 13 miles at PMP plus 15 seconds, and I knew there was no way I'd be able to keep that pace as the temp gauge read 90 degrees (101 with heat index) at the start of this run, therefore I decided I'd concede to the idea of slowing things down and settle on PMP plus 30, which would make the targeted pace for today to be 8:30 min/mile. With my drinks and jelly beans packed up in my cooler, out the door I went into the desert known as my field. Nothing was stirring out there....no tumbleweeds, no gunslingers, no rabbits, not even a single buzzard circling. Just me and my Garmin....my Garmin that I forgot to recharge....my Garmin that died on the third mile into this run so I have no idea of exact pace but it was even slower than 8:30 min/mile I'm sure. First two miles were 8:24 and 8:26....and I have no idea after that. It was so miserable out there, however, that after I got over my disgust in my recharging-forgetfulness, I was actually happy not to have my Garmin beeping at me and keeping me honest. It was nice just running on perceived effort and desire for the first time in forever.

13ish miles in I-have-no-idea-how-long for an average pace of god-only-knows-for-sure.

LSR

I knew this morning when I left the house at 6:30 to go to work that today's run would be miserable as the outside temp was already 80 degrees.....and boy was I right. I had toyed with the idea of swapping out next weekend's 17 mile LSR with this weekend's 13 mile LSR because of the tri the following weekend (in the spirit of taper), but I decided that I could not stomach 17 miles today so I stuck with the scheduled 13 miles that already had me experiencing waves of nausea. :( If I didn't have to work every blessed morning of every blessed week I could knock these LSRs out early in the day before the sun starts to cook everything and the humidity starts to suffocate everything, but I'm not that lucky. What concerns me is that August is routinely the hottest month of the year - the dog days of summer - and I'm entering the meatiest part of my marathon plan.

Any way....enough complaining. On to the happy part of this post, and that would be.....I had decided that I would lift my spirits and keep my body cool by wearing my little black running dress on this run, but I had to find it first. Not on the shelf.....not hung up....but I did spy a splashy little dress I had purchased two years ago but had never worn. Why did I buy it? For a reunion I was attending that I wanted to look good for. Why did I not wear it? After I got home and put it on again outside the dress shop and in front of my hubby it was decided that it was a little too short and a little too form fitting to be worn in public. I tossed it on just for fun this morning to see how I'm doing and to give me a bit of a charge, and it fits great!! I think even better than it did two years ago. :) Still don't have the guts to wear it in public, but I'll keep it around as a measuring tool to keep me disciplined and in line.

Any way....enough happy stuff. On to the run. The plan called for 13 miles at PMP plus 15 seconds, and I knew there was no way I'd be able to keep that pace as the temp gauge read 90 degrees (101 with heat index) at the start of this run, therefore I decided I'd concede to the idea of slowing things down and settle on PMP plus 30, which would make the targeted pace for today to be 8:30 min/mile. With my drinks and jelly beans packed up in my cooler, out the door I went into the dessert known as my field. Nothing was stirring out there....no tumbleweeds, no gunslingers, no rabbits, not even a single buzzard circling. Just me and my Garmin....my Garmin that I forgot to recharge....my Garmin that died on the third mile into this run so I have no idea of exact pace but it was even slower than 8:30 min/mile I'm sure. First two miles were 8:24 and 8:26....and I have no idea after that. It was so miserable out there, however, that after I got over my disgust in my recharging-forgetfulness, I was actually happy not to have my Garmin beeping at me and keeping me honest. It was nice just running on perceived effort and desire for the first time in forever.

13ish miles in I-have-no-idea-how-long for an average pace of god-only-knows-for-sure.

13 miles in a skirt ;) quality bit of work.

Sun Yang's 1500 swim is worth a look later if you get it ... hopefully someone will show it uninterrupted. I lost the plot with the t.v twice when they went to the track in the middle, twice, for the womens 100m semi-finals. More than a little disrespectful I thought since the guy was flying. I won't spoil it for you but it was one of those swims I never thought was possible. The Canadian guy did alright too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

LSR

Any way....enough complaining. On to the happy part of this post, and that would be.....I had decided that I would lift my spirits and keep my body cool by wearing my little black running dress on this run, but I had to find it first. Not on the shelf.....not hung up....but I did spy a splashy little dress I had purchased two years ago but had never worn. Why did I buy it? For a reunion I was attending that I wanted to look good for. Why did I not wear it? After I got home and put it on again outside the dress shop and in front of my hubby it was decided that it was a little too short and a little too form fitting to be worn in public. I tossed it on just for fun this morning to see how I'm doing and to give me a bit of a charge, and it fits great!! I think even better than it did two years ago. :) Still don't have the guts to wear it in public, but I'll keep it around as a measuring tool to keep me disciplined

I know Kurt is gonna ask but we need photos to get a real understanding of this post.

As a pasty pale Irish man I'm glad I don't have to run in that sort of heat. If I did I suspect all you would find would be a puddle of lard in the street.

13 miles in a skirt ;) quality bit of work.

Sun Yang's 1500 swim is worth a look later if you get it ... hopefully someone will show it uninterrupted. I lost the plot with the t.v twice when they went to the track in the middle, twice, for the womens 100m semi-finals. More than a little disrespectful I thought since the guy was flying. I won't spoil it for you but it was one of those swims I never thought was possible. The Canadian guy did alright too ;)

Skirts keep you cooler....trust me! ;)

I will def check out the swim....and I know what you mean about the interruptions. Last night during the women's 800 swim that our 15 year old won, the station took a break at the 300 meter mark!! WTF??? Really??? :confused:

I know Kurt is gonna ask but we need photos to get a real understanding of this post.

As a pasty pale Irish man I'm glad I don't have to run in that sort of heat. If I did I suspect all you would find would be a puddle of lard in the street.

;) Photos? Think splashy reds/oranges/purples/blues in rippling form fitting, thigh showing, hip caressing, shoulder showing, figure flattering action.

Puddle of lard? Oh god....so much we could do with that, but I think we'd need to move it to another forum. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

Hi Dory,you seem to be flying at the moment.You're training log is exhausting just reading it.I complain just thinking about my LSR never mind having to worry about the extreme heat.

Swim

One week of watching the Olympics in glued-to-the-tv-up-way-past-my-bedtime-marathon-style and running in the heat yesterday caught up to me this morning and I decided to bag the tri course 6:30am bike ride. I was just too tired. And I'm so glad I slept in (if you call sleeping in staying in bed until 7:30 and being at work by 8) because I feel so much better this afternoon. And, thank god swimming is now over at the Olympics.....Michael Phelps and his band of half-naked merry men were killing me with the late nights of pool partying and crazy celebrating.

I did manage to get a swim in this afternoon in between chores and thunderstorms. This swim was more therapeutic than challenging, but it was a positive endeavor all the same. Nothing fancy, just 3k of steady swimming and pulling and thinking of Olympic 1500 meter champion, Sun Yang.

3,000 yards as follows:
    1,000 free
    1,000 pull
    600 free
    400 breast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

LSR
    What concerns me is that August is routinely the hottest month of the year - the dog days of summer - and I'm entering the meatiest part of my marathon plan.

In the spirit of do "do what I say, not what I do" - you're not making nay real comporomise to the weather in terms of pace. On one hand I tip my hat to you - on the other hand you may want to consider giving yourself another few seconds a mile allowance for the conditions. You're not going to race in those conditions ( well hopefully not anyway) so its not a realistic race condition. As the weather heats up slow down. You don't want to wear yourself down over the summer. I'm now breaking up runs by doing a few miles on the treadmill during the run and finding this easier. A long time runner told me that as soon as heat(f) + humidity(%) > 150 it was time to slow the pace. I said this this was the whole summer. He responded "Exactly!".

Btw, on first reading, I though you had gone out for the 13 miles wearing some sort of cocktail dress ....:D

pgmcpq wrote: »
    In the spirit of do "do what I say, not what I do" - you're not making nay real comporomise to the weather in terms of pace. On one hand I tip my hat to you - on the other hand you may want to consider giving yourself another few seconds a mile allowance for the conditions. You're not going to race in those conditions ( well hopefully not anyway) so its not a realistic race condition. As the weather heats up slow down. You don't want to wear yourself down over the summer. I'm now breaking up runs by doing a few miles on the treadmill during the run and finding this easier. A long time runner told me that as soon as heat(f) + humidity(%) > 150 it was time to slow the pace. I said this this was the whole summer. He responded "Exactly!".

Btw, on first reading, I though you had gone out for the 13 miles wearing some sort of cocktail dress ....:D

You are 100% correct about slowing down, but psychologically I feel like I'm failing even though my logical side knows I'm not. I have noticed your insertion of some treadmill action in the middle of your long runs, and I must admit that I've been tempted the last three weeks to do that, but I also know I have a pool I can jump into that does help. However, it is getting harder and harder for me to stomach this heat - at first I was naive to how I would feel afterwards, but now I know. I have 18 (not 17, as I previously thought) miles to run this weekend.....I'm trying to figure out if I can skip Friday morning's work (or rather, leave for a few hours after we get the day going) to knock this out before it's ungodly hot outside.

Running in a cocktail dress?? Ha! That's funny, but I can see how you could have thought that by the way I wrote my post. :)

Intervals

Whoa! Have you all caught any of the Synchronized Swimming at the Olympics??? These gals aren't your grandma's mermaids....these modern day serpentine queens have gotten themselves all slicked back, spiffed up, and jacked.....and their music is mostly edgy and slightly angry with its landscape littered in F sharps and B flats to cause the gentle audience to be on the edge of their seats marveling at the contradiction that is in motion in front of their very eyes. (slight exaggeration, but you get the picture)

Any way....this interval session was a good one, and obviously it was one that I knocked out while I watched the above mentioned synchronized swimming. The guts of this session was two sets of 6 x 1/4 mile bursts followed by a 90 second recovery interval. (3 minute recovery interval between the two sets of 6.) I eased back my training the past three days, and I think the extra rest showed in how little effort I needed to keep pace today. I was huffing and puffing like a freight train at the end of the last 2 or 3 bursts, but at no time could my body not keep up or was I in a bad place. I kept it all pretty relaxed. :)

1 mile easy warm up at 10 min/mile
    6 x .25 mile at 6:36 min/mile with 90 second recovery
    3 minute recovery before next set
    6 x .25 mile at 6:31 min/mile with 90 second recovery
    1 mile easy cool down at 10 min/mile

6.8 miles total in 65:09

I took the recovery intervals easy at a 15 min/mile walk...but it was lovely in that I really got to recover and I found swinging my arms seemed to help recover faster.

Swim session tonight. May have to try my hand at a few of those synchronized moves!!!

Swim

Legs were feeling a bit tired from the lunchtime interval session so I decided to give them a break and concentrate on upper body by utilizing my trusty pull buoy for the majority of these 3,000 yards.....and when I wasn't pulling, I was swimming breast stroke because I've found it works some magic on my inner thighs after a tough run. The pull sets were increasing in intensity and I couldn't help but think how grand it would be if I could use my pull buoy in the upcoming tri. I love that pool toy. :)

3,000 yards as follows:
    5 x (400 pull, 200 breast)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

;) Photos? Think splashy reds/oranges/purples/blues in rippling form fitting, thigh showing, hip caressing, shoulder showing, figure flattering action.

Well when you put it like that DD we now certainly need photos:) Props for running in that heat, its bloody tough going i can tell you. I agree with adjusting pace, yeah you may be running 10-15secs slower per km (does for me) but its about effort and you are probably putting in as much if not more effort than the pace suggests with those conditions.
    Its funny as i heard BTH and Interested have been seen running around the Phoenix Park in a dress as well....mental picture firmply implanted:)

Advertisement