Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thought Salamander started slowly but I was well into it by the second episode's start. Shame there are no female characters of note - big change after the Danish/Swedish model.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

johnire wrote: »
    Hi

I missed the first 2 episodes as well but where is it possible to watch them as they are not repeated???

BBC iplayer has it, (you need to google hola! browser add on). Or there are lots of other ways to make iplayer watchable here, but I don't think it's permitted on forum to discuss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Also coming soon "the Life of Rock" a major new documentary series by Simon Day Brian Pern (and Nigel Havers, Vic Reeves, David Arnold, Peter Gabriel, Paul Whitehouse, Bob Mortimer)

Bump! Its on at 10pm right after Danny Baker's Rockin' Decades - The Seventies

That was near genius! :D You have to know the faces and names of course to get some of the gags and to spot where fact and fiction had been artfully mixed (Judge Dredd for example) but if you do very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Loved it. Peter Gabriel might be suing over this. The stone age theme from Eastenders was good. Pretty sure some of those 70s morons did actually amp up an egg at some point. The look on Michael Kitchen's face when Pern starts talking about how his "brain" works says it all.

• Advertisement

Part two of Danny Baker's Rockin' Decades and the return of Parks and Recreation at 10.30 (two eps back to back)

Nation Builders the story of British architecture

Featuring two hours of Jonathan Meades who will be worth the price of admission on his own.

Jonathan Meades writes about post war Brutalism in the Guardian

Habitat-67-in-Montreal-by-011.jpg

Part one of the Brits Who Built the Modern World (understated title!) which went out at 9pm Thursday featured the Pre-Fab Five - Richard Rodgers, Norman Foster, Nicholas Grimshaw, Terry Farrell and Michael Hopkins in their formative years and early struggles to get established - absorbing primer with excellent machine-age music - Kraftwerk, Jarre, Moroder, Vangelis, Numan, Reilly etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Thought Salamander started slowly but I was well into it by the second episode's start. Shame there are no female characters of note - big change after the Danish/Swedish model.

Different to Borgen but very watchable - looking forward to episodes 3 and 4.

Will the excellent Spiral be the next BBC4 9pm treat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Infoanon wrote: »
    Different to Borgen but very watchable - looking forward to episodes 3 and 4.

Will the excellent Spiral be the next BBC4 9pm treat ?

It's a year since BBC Four showed Series 4 so hopefully not too long away, though I don't think S5 has screened in France yet.

Another excellent edition of the Life of Rock with Brian Pern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Anyone watching 'The Man who Fought the Planners - The Story of Iain Nairn'?

Had never heard of him, but an interesting guy and quite a moving show in places.

Well worth catching the repeat.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/csyxds/the-man-who-fought-the-planners-the-story-of-ian-nairn

Recorded this, thought it would be interesting, did you (or anyone else) see The Secret History of Our Streets on BBC2? Had some fascinating stuff about planning and planners, esp in the first film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yamanoto wrote: »

Had never heard of him, but an interesting guy and quite a moving show in places.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/csyxds/the-man-who-fought-the-planners-the-story-of-ian-nairn

He seemed like a voice of sanity. He tried to save the emporium in my hometown, failed and planners have continued their bad work up to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ8eyMqJkwY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Michael Mosley's doc on parasites yesterday was very interesting.Not many TV presenters would eat dodgy raw meat and willingly be infected with tapeworms.Stuff about toxoplasmosis was slightly scary too.

Michael Mosley is a man who laughs in the face of danger, every series he risks his health doing something - he did that 5/2 diet that apparently transforms your well being but I could never put up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Isambard Kingdom Brunel was a genius. Amazing stuff with The Thames Tunnel.

Michael Mosley's doc on parasites yesterday was very interesting.Not many TV presenters would eat dodgy raw meat and willingly be infected with tapeworms.Stuff about toxoplasmosis was slightly scary too.

It was terrific - though I feared I had contracted Morgellons during the lice segment.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel was a genius. Amazing stuff with The Thames Tunnel.

The animated history of Brunel, well worth 25 minutes even with Russian subs.

https://video.yandex.ru/users/urikis/view/644/

Very good documentary about film scores on at the moment.

Yamanoto wrote: »

When watching profiles like this one is powerfully reminded hw so much has changed for both better and worse - better planning overall but worse tv in some repects - quite impossible to imagine any commissioning editor letting someone like Ian Nairn near a tv series now. These days diversity is measured by colour or religion rather than opinion.

• Advertisement

WE WANT MEADES
    WE WANT MEADES

:)

Love it when he turns his righteous guns on the flipping hippies and all that followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

WE WANT MEADES
    WE WANT MEADES

:)

Love it when he turns his righteous guns on the flipping hippies and all that followed.

The "yohgurt-weaving hippies" were a target of his ire last night when he lamented the demolition of brutalist architecture.
    It sounded good but I doubt it has much basis in fact. It's not just the hippies who protect Georgian architecture and want to live in cottage with wisteria over the door. And rubbishing efforts for sustainability ... that makes no sense. I wondered when the doc. was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

The "yohgurt-weaving hippies" were a target of his ire last night when he lamented the demolition of brutalist architecture.
    It sounded good but I doubt it has much basis in fact. It's not just the hippies who protect Georgian architecture and want to live in cottage with wisteria over the door. And rubbishing efforts for sustainability ... that makes no sense. I wondered when the doc. was made.

Absolutely loved it.
    Meades was on fire. Nice to hear someone have a go at the tree huggers.

OldRio wrote: »
    Absolutely loved it.
    Meades was on fire. Nice to hear someone have a go at the tree huggers.

A rational argument won't be so important then.

I couldn't help thinking that capitalist property developers may have had more of hand in the demolition of the buildings than the hippies. And the question .. how many architects actually live in their high-rise "machines for living"?.
    But I will be looking out for more of Meades ..and Floyd

The hippies became businessmen - we saw footage of Richard Branson for a reason.

On other matters the last of Life of Rock by Brian Penn ended last night with his alter ego Peter Gabriel popping up to end the series as the two merged on the Musical Event Horizon.

I doubt there will be a second series but I'd not be against more of Brian Penn the character.

Couple of interestting Storyvilles coming up:

Thur, 27 Feb 22:00

Soccer Coach Zoran and his African Tigers

A gripping story of triumph and failure, set in the world's youngest country.

South Sudan became an independent state in 2011, following almost 50 years of civil war. This documentary follows veteran Serbian coach Zoran Djordjevic as he seeks to forge South Sudan's first national football team. What follows is a fascinating and original portrait of the birth of a nation.

Although still steeped in traumatic memories, the new nation is seeking to make a mark on the international soccer stage under the dynamic and hugely ambitious new coach. The film follows the team over its first year, from the hunt for new players to buying a sheep to be its mascot and the side's first international games. Zoran's aggressive style soon leads to conflict with the chair of the soccer federation. As the euphoria of independence subsides, the team finds itself hit by bitter infighting, malaria and a financial crisis that threatens the state itself.

Mon 3 Mar 22:30

The Village that Fought Back: Five Broken Cameras

Oscar-nominated film compiled from the video diary of a Palestinian farmer who documents unrest in his West Bank village. Emad Burnat starts filming with his first camera following the birth of his fourth son. At the same time in his village of Bil'in, a separation barrier is being built and the villagers begin to resist this decision.

Over several years Burnat films this non-violent struggle against the Israeli army - which is led by two of his best friends - literally from his own point of view. Soon, these events begin to impact his own life. Bulldozers knocking down olive trees, the loss of life and night raids scare his family. His friends, brothers and even himself are either shot or arrested. One camera after another used to document these events is shot or smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

A rational argument won't be so important then.

Whoaaa there. Argument ? Not from this old hippy. Here have a flower.

The First World War from Above. Well worth watching.

What Do Artists Do All Day? - Photographer Tom Wood.

Another one worth watching.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    Whoaaa there. Argument ? Not from this old hippy. Here have a flower.

Thanks, man. Call round for some lentils sometime. We could listen to Yes

I was referring to Meades' lack of rational argument. Not to your good self.
    He does good polemic - with great visuals. But that's based on only my first viewing. As I say, I'll look out for more of Meades.

Advertisement