Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for the call

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

To everybody posting on this tread, please don't give up hope. I applied for around 15 jobs and only got one response. Thankfully it was an interview and I got it.

I think the hard part is getting somebody to read applications due to the sheer amount of applicants. Also add in the jobs advertised where schools have already decided who they want and it gets harder.

Focus on writing your application in case it is read. Make it impossible for a school to say no to you (or at least guilty if they have already decided on the candidate).

I did two years in the UK teaching Maths and for those who are in a position to go. I would recommend it. It is both rewarding and eyeopening and I don't regret the decision to go. Sadly it is not the same as home and I always knew I would not settle there permanently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

highly1111 wrote: »
    In relation to waiting for the call I think if they call soon afterwards, you've a great chance. I've gotten two offers recently - both rang the following day. Rejected one, accepted the other. Its only 8 hours but they're my hours. However its privately paid so I've no idea what the route to permanence / security is. I will keep looking for a job with more hours, ideally department paid, but I'm delighted to have something that not someone else's hours - the first time in my career.

From my experience folk on private hours are usually kept there indefinitely unless you argue your case for dept. hours every year if they become available. So forget about dept pension (for what thats worth nowadays anyway!)... read your contract to see if its tied to dept. payscale, be suspicious if they put off giving you your contract to sign (tell them you need it for a bank loan or something). Congrats anyway.. maybe start putting in a request to do resource hrs before sept, at least that will get you on the depts. books.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rainbowshimmer

Well I finally got the call yesterday. Really happy. It was the secretary that rang me though and not the principal herself. Is that a bit strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Well I finally got the call yesterday. Really happy. It was the secretary that rang me though and not the principal herself. Is that a bit strange?

Nothing strange there. Maith thú/Good for you. And it has to be better than working for that principal who authorised the 10-page application form in that school outside Greystones...

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Nothing strange there. Maith thú/Good for you. And it has to be better than working for that principal who authorised the 10-page application form in that school outside Greystones...

Thanks, I'm thrilled! Finally a job with decent hours too. I wholeheartedly agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I think it would be a good idea for those of you on part-time hours to have a chat with your principal about ways to save you money/increase your income for the next year. I think if you do it right, you could save money. For instance, I got a 4-day week one year and it allowed me to save money on petrol and stay at home and study for another subject that I added in that year.

The worst that will happen is that they say they cannot facilitate you for some genuine reason (which also happened me one year), but even then by bringing up the issue you'll let them know you'd appreciate if they could throw extra work your way. Essentially, don't be afraid to broach such an important issue (in a respectful way of course) as soon as possible as timetabling is being finalised now that they're sure of their staff for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Gaiscioch, while I agree that the idea of that sounds good, I know it'd be laughed at in a lot of schools.
    Part-time teachers are not top of the list when it comes to timetabling.
    Facilitating a 4 day week can really tie up/affect timetables for the rest of the staff, depending on subjects.
    It can be difficult enough to facilitate job sharers as is.
    I know that one year, we had Irish 3 days per week. 2 doubles and one single,
    This was to facilitate a job-sharer but there was huge uproar and it didn't happen again.
    No harm in asking though, as you said.

As a follow up to this I have received an offer of an interview from a school in my own county to teach both my subjects today. The interview is not for another week and a half, but I've also been sent out documents to sign by the school I accepted an offer from. I know an interview is just that, but this job woukd be an amazing opportunity for me. On the other hand I don't want to leave anybody down either. I'm thinking too far ahead, I know that, but I'm so confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

As a follow up to this I have received an offer of an interview from a school in my own county to teach both my subjects today. The interview is not for another week and a half, but I've also been sent out documents to sign by the school I accepted an offer from. I know an interview is just that, but this job woukd be an amazing opportunity for me. On the other hand I don't want to leave anybody down either. I'm thinking too far ahead, I know that, but I'm so confused!

Would you consider speaking to Principal of the school you verbally accepted an offer from? I've found Principals are very understanding of conditions and they might be willing to give you two weeks before expecting a final answer and signed documents. If you're luckier closer to home then I'm sure they'll have someone waiting on a call who'd be happy to step in. AND its also a big plus when you're able to point out in interview that you already have an offer from somewhere else!! Don't mention the school by name though, unless they're already on your CV.

It would be better to speak to school management rather than leave them wondering why it's taking you so long to sign documents. That's just my point of view. Someone with more experience of hiring in schools might be able to offer you better advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

aunt aggie wrote: »
    AND its also a big plus when you're able to point out in interview that you already have an offer from somewhere else!! Don't mention the school by name though, unless they're already on your CV.

Firstly congratulations on getting the job. I don't think I would be mentioning that I had a job elsewhere in interview. I would be afraid that the panel would say candidate x is good but he/she already has work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hockey21

Hi everybody
    Just wondering how long after the closing date will you hear from a school to be asked to come for an interview iv sent out a lot of applications and in hearing nothing at all
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

hockey21 wrote: »
    Hi everybody
    Just wondering how long after the closing date will you hear from a school to be asked to come for an interview iv sent out a lot of applications and in hearing nothing at all
    thanks

You may not. Some schools don't have the manners to reply.

yeah it's so annoying just waiting some closing dates were last week and heard nothing so frustrating that they don't even acknowledge your application ahhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I just got a rejection letter from an ETB stating that they needed x amount of years experience before considering putting teachers on my subject's shortlist. Not even for a job itself, just to be shortlisted...

No mention of such a requirement before filling out their ever so long application form accompanied with teacher reg. and Garda Vetting proof.

Honestly, I feel that the ETBs are loaded with pencil pushers and jobsworths. The reason seemed made up, like they had to do it just to cut down on the list. I'm sure it was someone's ever so important job in some office somewhere to type that automated message to me and another's also extremely vital job to put the letter into the envelope and seal it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I just got a rejection letter from an ETB stating that they needed x amount of years experience before considering putting teachers on my subject's shortlist. Not even for a job itself, just to be shortlisted...

No mention of such a requirement before filling out their ever so long application form accompanied with teacher reg. and Garda Vetting proof.

Honestly, I feel that the ETBs are loaded with pencil pushers and jobsworths. The reason seemed made up, like they had to do it just to cut down on the list. I'm sure it was someone's ever so important job in some office somewhere to type that automated message to me and another's also extremely vital job to put the letter into the envelope and seal it.

Think we got the same letter from the same ETB. It's time they advertised their essential criteria on their adverts just like they do in the UK. It would cut down on all the work they make for themselves! Same ETB only moved away from 5 copies of application forms and all documents this year since they merged. I'm giving up on said ETB anyway.

NufcNavan wrote: »

On the other hand I have to say I find LMETB HR very good . Incredibly respectful. Their principals really do use their sub panel too.

yeah the cutting down the piles of applications for various reasons is grand but I'm trying to move schools cos wev just built our house I cannot understand how I'm not even getting to the interview stage when I've 14 years experience I even went and did a two year diploma in eduction and have done a tonne of extra short courses I starting to think am
    I too old do principals want teachers just out of college or is somebody just lined up for all these jobs even though you have to put in all your degrees dips and a load of documents I dunno??? Becoming very disheartened with the whole situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm in the same boat hockey21. Trying to get out of my school because policy is to keep everyone on part time CID. I've 10 years experience with an M.Ed and lots of short courses/CPD but can't even get to interview stage. I'm desperate at this stage. Heard yesterday I will only be getting my CID hours and no RPT hours next year. Hard not to feel this is punishment for not being "grateful" for what I had. I tried years of keeping the head down and hope for improvement and that got me nowhere. I tried discussing things with principal and now I'm worse off. Best of luck in your job search.

yeah it's so disheartening are we too qualified or too old and might have an opinion? My friend seems to think principals want people out of college as they'll do whatever I think she's wrong but so far I haven't a single interview. I've done loads in my school to contribute to the school community I don't know I'm wondering do I just have to resign my job and go subbing for few years so principals get to know you I just don't know the other thing I've heard is principals like to employ locals so I don't know what to do I'm primary school. In the ads that request all documentation I believe these have to be real jobs making you go to all that trouble or am I wrong? I really don't know if anybody knows could u tell me where I'm going wrong?? Is it just the case that people are lined up for jobs and the best candidate is not interviewed or successful in getting the job??? I don't know

I think there are genuinely very few jobs.
    I know that any jobs that have come up in my own school have been for a few hours here and there.
    There are no 22 hour jobs.
    Redeployment has also been an issue.
    You must also remember the massive volume of applicants for each position.
    It's huge.

I can completely understand the frustration and it's very easy for me to say, keep trying.
    All it takes is one break and you can get sorted.
    Unfortunately, it is a principal's market at the minute.

• Advertisement

yeah I'll just keep applying and hope something comes up as my husband said to me think of it as playing the lotto you might win and you might not so I'll keep applying and see what happens thanks 😊

I genuinely don't think there's an age discrimination either.
    I work in a big school and have seen teachers straight out of college and those with more experience get contracts.
    Hang in there.

Yep I'll keep going hopefully I'll at least get 1 interview 😊 thanks will keep ye posted how I get on 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Huge amount of non jobs with the switch over to the new CID rules. In our school multiple jobs were rolled into bigger contracts. In one particular job the person in situ didn't even get called for interview due to the phenomenal level of applications and the standard of qualifications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes, I'd well believe it. I don't know how I can improve my chances for the future though. If I failed at interview I could accept it but failing to even get to interview is crushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I wouldn't get disheartened. To be honest give the he level of applications I'm hearing about (400+ Per position) I know our management/secretaries don't have time even to skim that many, never mind do it for the 7/8 jobs advertised so I suspect a lot of schools are just running out of steam and not getting through reading them all

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Would you consider speaking to Principal of the school you verbally accepted an offer from? I've found Principals are very understanding of conditions and they might be willing to give you two weeks before expecting a final answer and signed documents. If you're luckier closer to home then I'm sure they'll have someone waiting on a call who'd be happy to step in. AND its also a big plus when you're able to point out in interview that you already have an offer from somewhere else!! Don't mention the school by name though, unless they're already on your CV.

It would be better to speak to school management rather than leave them wondering why it's taking you so long to sign documents. That's just my point of view. Someone with more experience of hiring in schools might be able to offer you better advice.

I was actually thinking of that, however I am dealing solely with the secretary and haven't spoken to the principal at all, so I'm assuming he's on holiday at this stage. It's not a contract I've been given, rather the appointment form that goes to the department for payment. Thanks for the advice. As I said I would hate to leave anybody down, but I can't help thinking that if I get the next job, that opportunity is not going to present itself again for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I was actually thinking of that, however I am dealing solely with the secretary and haven't spoken to the principal at all, so I'm assuming he's on holiday at this stage. It's not a contract I've been given, rather the appointment form that goes to the department for payment. Thanks for the advice. As I said I would hate to leave anybody down, but I can't help thinking that if I get the next job, that opportunity is not going to present itself again for a long time.

Forget about pleasing others, a job nearer to home with somewhere you know is like gold-dust. I know I'll be criticised for 'not being grateful' or 'letting the school and the kids down' ...but... for now take the job you have and do the other interview. Take whichever job suits you best, it's not as if it's half way through the term and you'll be leaving exam students without a teacher all of a sudden.

Every single school has seen last minute adjustments to the timetable in September. They'll get over it, and I sincerely doubt they'll find it hard to get another suitable candidate (if they've done everything correctly during the initial interview).

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Forget about pleasing others, a job nearer to home with somewhere you know is like gold-dust. I know I'll be criticised for 'not being grateful' or 'letting the school and the kids down' ...but... for now take the job you have and do the other interview. Take whichever job suits you best, it's not as if it's half way through the term and you'll be leaving exam students without a teacher all of a sudden.

Every single school has seen last minute adjustments to the timetable in September. They'll get over it, and I sincerely doubt they'll find it hard to get another suitable candidate (if they've done everything correctly during the initial interview).

You need to do what's best for you

• Advertisement

hockey21 wrote: »
    yeah the cutting down the piles of applications for various reasons is grand but I'm trying to move schools cos wev just built our house I cannot understand how I'm not even getting to the interview stage when I've 14 years experience I even went and did a two year diploma in eduction and have done a tonne of extra short courses I starting to think am
    I too old do principals want teachers just out of college or is somebody just lined up for all these jobs even though you have to put in all your degrees dips and a load of documents I dunno??? Becoming very disheartened with the whole situation

They don't want young graduates either. Don't worry. It's all pure luck.

Advertisement