Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for the call

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

I had an interview a week ago with an ETB and have yet to hear back. I assume the job is gone at this stage but I thought I would at least have gotten a "sorry you were unsuccessful " letter... i am used to sending applications and hearing nothing back but I have always been notified of success/failure following an interview usually within 2/3 days of said interview.

Is it common for it to take this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It can depend if the particular ETB is using CORE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

TheDriver wrote: »
    It can depend if the particular ETB is using CORE

Thank you for your reply - sorry now if this is a stupid question but what is CORE/what effect has this on contacting candidates post interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    You must have started on the old pay scale because the starting salary here is now nowhere near €38,000

That's largely because you now don't get allowances for additional qualifications. Like every other teacher who started before 2011 I started at level 3 on this one (€33,041) but I also received the allowances from this one. Inspired by the Tory culture of the English system, the Irish government decided that post 2012 teachers start at Level 1, €30,702, but have no entitlement to allowances.

With all these "reforms", it seems to be forgotten by many that the qualifications allowances were merely "suspended" in February 2012: "The suspension will stand until the completion of a review by the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform."

Time to start lobbying to end this "suspension", I suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

When you are offered a position and you receive the phonecall and then the letter in the post,are you then to confirm accepting the position in writing? It doesn't state it on the letter!

• Advertisement

Thank you for your reply - sorry now if this is a stupid question but what is CORE/what effect has this on contacting candidates post interview?
    Basically all notifications are electronically communicated through this HR system so no letter from the school

patriciaf6 wrote: »
    When you are offered a position and you receive the phonecall and then the letter in the post,are you then to confirm accepting the position in writing? It doesn't state it on the letter!
    Accept in writing, even if its an email

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Mightily relieved now, had re-interviewed in school last Thursday for the position I'd been in for the last year and was getting very anxious waiting. Contract arrived in the post this morning so I'm feeling much better. Principal didn't ring me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I've had two interviews in the past two weeks and neither school contacted me afterwards to notify me that I'd been unsuccessful. It's pretty disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Also waiting to hear back from an ETB; the interview was almost two weeks ago. I'm guessing I was not successful?

Thankfully, I have another interview tomorrow, so might have some chance at a job for September...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Had an interview in a (non ETB) school 2 weeks ago yesterday and still have not heard anything. A complete lack of respect and common decency.

On a similar note, been interviewing and the number of applicants who just fail to show without even ringing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

On a similar note, been interviewing and the number of applicants who just fail to show without even ringing....

I hope you take their names and don't interview them again in the future!

Afraid I cant do that however their names will be remembered......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

So many bad candidates, so many bad interviewers, the whole system just seems like one huge mess that fails to deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Interesting

Why do you think it is that they are not showing up for interview?

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Interesting

Why do you think it is that they are not showing up for interview?

2 reasons- 1 is they already got a job or 2 they realised job is too far away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Patriciaf6. Getting a job and immediately thinking of holding it just till another comes along is unfair to the school and nd other cadidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Delphinium wrote: »
    Patriciaf6. Getting a job and immediately thinking of holding it just till another comes along is unfair to the school and nd other cadidates.

Ya I would have thought of that before but now I think you have to be a bit more selfish. Even if the person is 'holding it' and then subsequently rejects it then the other applicants are still in the panel. A friend of mine (diff. public sector work) was number 15 on a panel and told the job had been taken, thought he hadn't a hope. Month later he got offer the position.

He still regularly goes for interviews left right and centre now.. just for the experience!

Stuff happens, I'd say there's many a person gets a last minute offer in September because someone else drops out to take a better offer. No point in being nice to any school. If someone gets the job because of a drop out then all the better.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    No point in being nice to any school

Just when I thought I had heard it all.......

• Advertisement

Just when I thought I had heard it all.......

It's just the way things work, why should anyone feel 'obliged' to take a particular job if there's a possibility of a better one. This is what I mean by being 'nice' i.e. just to please others before yourself. Like I know teaching is a vocation but it's not as if your a nun and have to accept wherever the mother superior sends you!

We've seen plenty of cases of folk here bending over backwards under the pretense of "doing it for the good of the school/children" and royally getting shafted year after year with no security of tenure or appreciation for their work.... (20 teachers on part time CID's in one school!)

Damn sure there's plenty of Principals and DP's out there playing the same game for a better life... and good luck to em.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

I agree that you have to look after yourself but maybe some peoples actions are going to far. There was a poster on a different thread who had verbally accepted two posts and was still applying for more positions. Where do you draw the line?

chippers wrote: »
    I agree that you have to look after yourself but maybe some peoples actions are going to far. There was a poster on a different thread who had verbally accepted two posts and was still applying for more positions. Where do you draw the line?

Draw the line when you get the job you want not when you get the first job that comes along.

If the interview boards are sensible they'll have enough for reserves (and try being courteous with a follow up thank you after the interview). If the interview board just has one candidate these days then there's something wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Ah come on you can't try justify accepting two jobs at the same time. Whatever about continuing to search because you never know if you will get another one or not but accepting two is immoral. Weight up both and decide which one is better and continue to search if you want but accepting two and not caring is wrong

Employers are treating non permanent teachers like absolute crap these days. The facts speak for themselves - see statistics in the Ward Report. In this climate it can't be anything other than every man for himself so I would recommend every teacher look after number one above all else - because sure as hell nobody else is looking out for you!

I would hesitate to sign two contracts but not verbal agreements - these aren't worth a damn and can disappear over night. I've seen it happen a few times, leaving those playing fair shafted. This is what the recruitment process has come to.

A very worrying sentiment........
    Every year on this forum, a generalisation that all Principals, DPs and schools have no morals, standards or decency tends to be the course of advice and action. Please ensure you know who and what you are dealing with prior to taking advice given above-you do indeed need to look after yourself but part of that is ensuring you don't burn those bridges with people who are actually decent.
    To the poster who mentioned 15 on the list-if I had to go to 6 on the list, a new ad would be put up as anything below that isn't proper panelling unless they spent days on end going through it.

Every year on this forum, a generalisation that all Principals, DPs and schools have no morals, standards or decency tends to be the course of advice and action. Please ensure you know who and what you are dealing with prior to taking advice given above-you do indeed need to look after yourself but part of that is ensuring you don't burn those bridges with people who are actually decent.

I absolutely agree that not burning your bridges is part of looking after yourself.

The generalisation that many education employers are messing people around with contracts is backed by facts - see the Ward Report. There are of course many decent schools out there and many decent principals and deputies. But there are many who are far from decent, particularly in certain sectors. If recruitment was done in a decent fashion then there wouldn't be just short of 50% of ETB teachers without secure full time work.

Hi folks I've sectioned off the union debate to a separate thread HERE. So I think we'll keep this one for 'waiting for the call and accepting position(s) if that's ok!.

Mod

To the poster who mentioned 15 on the list-if I had to go to 6 on the list, a new ad would be put up as anything below that isn't proper panelling unless they spent days on end going through it.

Well I wouldn't necessairily share the sentiment that the 'employers' mentioned before this are Principals and DPs. They can only advertise the hours that they have and they can;t magic up extra hours in a subject to give a full time position...

However... there is a case to be made for amalgamating hours (as was evidenced by Arlisenne's case where there were multiple people with the same subjects being in a permanent 'freeze' after years all on part time hours).

It was myself who mentioned the 15 on the list. That was for another public sector where there were about at least 100 candidates interviewed!.. so you can imagine the top 20 would be of some sufficient standard.

And maybe that's the way it should be done for teaching.. one centralised situation where preliminaries place you on a panel and a group is called forward whenever a position comes up.

As regards 'holding a position' while you look for another job I'd still stick to my guns and say to be selfish. (Although this actually didn;t happen to the poster, they were just contemplating!)
    It's no more selfish than looking for a job while you have a job. Plenty of other folk in the workplace do the same without a seconds thought wher as in teaching your supposed to bite the hand of the first thing that comes along 'for the good of the school.. or 'think of the children' or whatever'.
    Yes, there are risks associated with burning bridges and all that. So a little bit of courtesy and skill (from both sides!) will go a long way

And before I'm accused of management bashing, I know of 3 DP & P's currently doing the interview circuit themselves, and I know another one who left a new post one October to take up another post that suited their work/life balance better. Is that greedy/underhand/immoral? hell no... good luck to them, they got to see more of their kids with less of a commute in a newish school which they can shape themselves... their replacement was just as good so I don't see anything underhand towards anyone.

It's a sellers market so I really can't see how any school would be stuck to find a replacement for any candidate. If they've advertised sufficiently and called enough of people then they should at least be able to offer another interview round at short notice with time to look for new candidates as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

In relation to waiting for the call I think if they call soon afterwards, you've a great chance. I've gotten two offers recently - both rang the following day. Rejected one, accepted the other. Its only 8 hours but they're my hours. However its privately paid so I've no idea what the route to permanence / security is. I will keep looking for a job with more hours, ideally department paid, but I'm delighted to have something that not someone else's hours - the first time in my career.

Advertisement