Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

jones wrote: »
    Do you have to change your region back again after? Do you not create a new profile? Sorry noobie here regarding buying from US store ha.

You can switch your region back after wards if you want but don't do it until you have fuly downloaded the game and no you do not need to create another profile or gamertag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Ok cool thanks for this lads i didnt have a clue it was so easy. Thought i'd have to go changing internet settings and the whole shebang.
    Basically i just change the region on my current profile use US address etc buy psn credit from amazon.com and bobs my uncle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Can you not just buy with paypal or credit card?

Can you not just buy with paypal or credit card?
    I didn't think you could unless card was registered to American address. Amazon seems like easier option. Just one thing where do I change my account settings it won't let me on ps4 and Internet has it set to Ireland with no option to change country?

Could you not be living in america with an irish credit card? Do amazon send you an email with the codes?

• Advertisement

I haven't even gotten that far trying to set up US account but either psn is acting up or something is amiss as it's stuck on please wait screen on my ps4. I'll try my visa card first see will that work

OK definitely some problem with psn can't even create a new account on my pc phone or ps4 I'll try again later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Download my GreenMan Gaming purchase while I was at work. Kind of liking it. Quite a lot but it doesn't really explain the whole systems in place with generals etc. Just kind of keep going for new targets and see where that leads me. The combat it alright but a lot more floaty than, say Batman which it has been compared to a bit. Most the floatiness is down to you swing a sword rather than a single punch/kick. Taking a while to get used to it all really. Looks great but willprobably have to drop the setting down a small bit for my GTX 660 to be able to cope with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

This game took an absolute hammering by Destructoid.

I find them pretty decent with reviews and I'll be steering clear of the game, after wanting to buy it.

Let us know what it's like guys.

This is why I don't follow reviews. As most of them haven't a clue what they're talking about. I'd much rather have a small poke at the game play on YouTube read up a small bit and if it sounds interesting I'd give it a go.

Prefer that than avoiding 90% of games as inevitably some reviewer will say the game is ****.

This game might end up being pants but atleast I'm making my own judgement...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd like to play this, but it won't start for me. Anyone else having the same problem? Seen a few people online in a similar position and no fix that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

irishmover wrote: »
    This is why I don't follow reviews. As most of them haven't a clue what they're talking about. I'd much rather have a small poke at the game play on YouTube read up a small bit and if it sounds interesting I'd give it a go.

Prefer that than avoiding 90% of games as inevitably some reviewer will say the game is ****.

This game might end up being pants but atleast I'm making my own judgement...

You're missing my point entirely. I have bought games like Destiny, and D4 (recent ones for examples), and rated them myself before viewing the review on Destructoid.

I've found them to be in line with my own judgement on more than several occasions and it's therefore why I use it as a yardstick.

It's not for everybody, but it works for me.

• Advertisement

You're missing my point entirely. I have bought games like Destiny, and D4 (recent ones for examples), and rated them myself before viewing the review on Destructoid.

I've found them to be in line with my own judgement on more than several occasions and it's therefore why I use it as a yardstick.

It's not for everybody, but it works for me.

So you're saying these reviewers have the exact same taste as you? Too many people are at the mercy of reviewers. If I'm completely on the fence I'd read a number of reviews but sitting happy with one reviewers views on games will eventually mean you'll miss a game you would have really enjoyed.

Maybe I've got too much disposable income these days that I can afford to take a punt I suppose. But I'd much prefer my own personal judgement, having taken a chance on a game than avoid games because someone else told me it's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Got about 30 minutes in before it crashed. 660 ti med/high settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's not bad. Not bad at all.

The combat flows really well, it's great taking on a dozen Uruk at once. It's pretty much Batman Arkham combat, only you have a sword and your takedowns are brutal slaughter instead of a broken arm. The captains and their paths through the nemesis system work a charm. It's actually cool to see yourself get killed by a lowly mook, only for that to gain them recognition, a promotion, new armour and strengths/weaknesses. Makes hunting them down and getting revenge really satisfying. Not far in enough to try any real power struggles, but based on what I've seen so far it's going to work well. The acrobatics might not be quite as smooth as AssCreed, but they do the job, and the stealth is just better. Was it TotalBiscuit who said it was more Assassin's Creed than Assassin's Creed? He's right, you pick a target, you find his weaknesses, you wait for him to get into a vulnerable position (or arrange for him to get into one), and you strike. Do your homework and you get a nice clean kill. Screw up and you're taking him on in a melee with all his mates. There are loads of different types of orc, and most of the wildlife wants to kill you, so you'll need to think about combat at least as much as in Batman.

It's quite pretty, too. The textures aren't the best quality (Mostly medium settings for a Radeon 7840 2Gb card, probably around console quality. I'm sure the Ultra settings requiring a 6Gb card are better. 6Gb ffs!), but the art direction, the animation and especially the weather are great. Loads of little touches like rain drops splashing off your character and water dripping off ledges, bats and spiders and general wildlife wandering about, Mordor feels very alive. The voice acting is exemplary. The orcs have a huge amount of interesting or even funny stuff to say. The intro is great. The collectibles are even worth collecting, as well as giving you money to upgrade things, they come with little stories or snatches of conversation from the ancient past.

I suppose the story, while still quite fine, does suffer a little bit from the sandbox nature of the game, the extra freedom always causes the narrative to lose focus. The varied orcs are still orcs, so the lack of different factions to fight might cause it to feel a bit samey. And Talion takes up too much of the screen for my liking. But none of my quibbles are major.

This is pretty friggin sweet, tbh, and I'm glad I bought it. It takes some of the best bits from some great games, and welds them together with some interesting fresh ideas, and it does a damn fine job of it.

Just home from work now. 3 in the afternoon 29 degrees outside. Beautiful day (although I spent all day working in that heat) get home and decide I'll sit on the couch and play this..

Probably should be out kayaking but hacking and slashing seems more fun right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Got this yesterday, and its great fun, a nice melding of Assassins Creed and Batman Arkham. The platforming is pretty good, and I can actually do some stealth with out to much trouble as well, which is a good way to thin the herd before trying to take down a boss. Also, like the little bits of lore from the appendices as well, which are nice. Also, the little upgrade missions for weapons are pretty cool as well.

Overall, enjoyable game so far.

wes wrote: »
    Got this yesterday, and its great fun, a nice melding of Assassins Creed and Batman Arkham. The platforming is pretty good, and I can actually do some stealth with out to much trouble as well, which is a good way to thin the herd before trying to take down a boss. Also, like the little bits of lore from the appendices as well, which are nice. Also, the little upgrade missions for weapons are pretty cool as well.

Overall, enjoyable game so far.

I felt like a beast when I took down three captains together with herds of orcs as well. Great fun!

Like how they taunt you as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is the open world alive or is fairly dull? Like is there town to visit etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Where's gonna sell this the cheapest on PS4? Don't mind waiting as I'm playing a lot of destiny right now.

.ak wrote: »
    Where's gonna sell this the cheapest on PS4? Don't mind waiting as I'm playing a lot of destiny right now.

Got it off the US PSN store for 60 dollars, which is about 45 euro, not too sure about physical shops, but getting stuff of the US PSN store works out cheap. You can do the same on the XBox one.

For PC, green man gaming was doing a 25% off voucher recently for this game. Not sure if its still going, but would be worth a look as well.

Is the open world alive or is fairly dull? Like is there town to visit etc?

So far there's just camps but I'm only 4 hours in. And 11% complete! It's very alive with animals, monsters, orcs, slaves etc everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

wes wrote: »
    Got it off the US PSN store for 60 dollars, which is about 45 euro, not too sure about physical shops, but getting stuff of the US PSN store works out cheap. You can do the same on the XBox one.

For PC, green man gaming was doing a 25% off voucher recently for this game. Not sure if its still going, but would be worth a look as well.

Really need to work out how to do that on the US PSN... Is there any drawbacks doing it that way?

Really need to work out how to do that on the US PSN... Is there any drawbacks doing it that way?

Just if you want DLC you have to buy it from US store. Other than that nothing. Very easy to do.

Buy from Amazon with a US address (use an Portland Oregon address) and an Irish visa or Mastercard. Redeem code, buy game. Activate ps4 as primary on US account. Switch to Irish account and it'll be unlocked ready to play.

Nothing so far. Have bought Watch Dogs, Destiny and now Shadow of Mordor, without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Just if you want DLC you have to buy it from US store. Other than that nothing. Very easy to do.

Whats the downside to having to get the DLC from the US store?

Buy from Amazon with a US address (use an Portland Oregon address) and an Irish visa or Mastercard. Redeem code, buy game. Activate ps4 as primary on US account. Switch to Irish account and it'll be unlocked ready to play.

oh so you can make a us account, buy your games, and then play them on your main irish account? do amazon email you the psn codes? i take it you cant just use paypal or something on the us store?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm finding it easy to mow through the bands of orcs. They pose little threat to me but those bloody mounted beast thingies are lethal. I've died twice in the game, both times to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2060-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor

Best deal around for those of us on pc, around €22!

Guess I'll have to pick it up for that price!!

Is this a global key?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Is this a global key?

Yep! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Digital Foundry takes a look at the Ultra Texture pack.

Anyone around here have a GPU capable of pulling that off at a reasonable res without knocking the frame rate limiter in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gizmo wrote: »
    Digital Foundry takes a look at the Ultra Texture pack.

Anyone around here have a GPU capable of pulling that off at a reasonable res without knocking the frame rate limiter in?

Pointless unless you're running at 1440p or above. As from the 1080p samples shown, you'd struggle in a blind test between High and Ultra textures at lower res.

I'd be surprised if you didn't get good performance out of a 4GB 770 or similar with Ultra actually.

Advertisement