Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Running / Sprints - Plateau reached

Options
  • 01-10-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Playing GAA and new to the game. Have been running 5-16k for the past few years so am not superfit but am grand going (24m 5k / 52m 10k) but one thing i can't seem to improve is my sprint. As in getting to the ball first / reactionary burst of pace.

I've accepted that the lads im chasing to the ball can be up to 10 years younger than me and that's grand. I've made changes to training to include hill running and spinning to improve leg power. I've lost the better part of a stone but still find myself at the tail end of the gang which is frustrating.

Can anyone suggest any other form of training? I've even looked at using speed bands http://www.instantspeedtraining.com/ but am not sure if it's just a gimmick that doesn't replace training / hard work.

Any help or suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BKWDR wrote: »
    Playing GAA and new to the game. Have been running 5-16k for the past few years so am not superfit but am grand going (24m 5k / 52m 10k) but one thing i can't seem to improve is my sprint. As in getting to the ball first / reactionary burst of pace.

I've accepted that the lads im chasing to the ball can be up to 10 years younger than me and that's grand. I've made changes to training to include hill running and spinning to improve leg power. I've lost the better part of a stone but still find myself at the tail end of the gang which is frustrating.

Can anyone suggest any other form of training? I've even looked at using speed bands http://www.instantspeedtraining.com/ but am not sure if it's just a gimmick that doesn't replace training / hard work.

Any help or suggestions welcome

What actual sprint training have you done aside from hill runs?

Best way to improve your sprinting is by sprinting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

What actual sprint training have you done aside from hill runs?

Best way to improve your sprinting is by sprinting.

I have done varying difference sprints in training. From shorter distances 10-15m to 50m.

I have done varying difference sprints in training. From shorter distances 10-15m to 50m.

If your only sprint training is at training, you are much less likely to close the gap on those that are faster. Nothing stopping you doing your own training especially since sprint training is relatively simple :)

If your only sprint training is at training, you are much less likely to close the gap on those that are faster. Nothing stopping you doing your own training especially since sprint training is relatively simple :)

Ah no i know, I would train 2-3 times a week with the team. Spinning once a week (was told this would build up legs to improve speed) and then would generally go for a run another day, be it hill (was told that would improve speed too) or i would generally run a short distance and try and incorporate some interval bursts into it (pelt it between lamposts etc)

It's just I never have seen an improvement in this aspect is all

Ah no i know, I would train 2-3 times a week with the team. Spinning once a week (was told this would build up legs to improve speed) and then would generally go for a run another day, be it hill (was told that would improve speed too) or i would generally run a short distance and try and incorporate some interval bursts into it (pelt it between lamposts etc)

It's just I never have seen an improvement in this aspect is all

You haven't really dedicated much time to just sprinting though. Hill runs and spinning will complement sprint training but sprint training should be central to what you do if it's what you want to improve.

Setting down markers 20-30m apart and doing sprints. Reducing the rest time between sprints will help improve speed endurance but rest plenty to start because you're more interested in pure speed initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

This is right up my alley. I almost guarantee that your biggest problems are flexibility/mobility and weight. Buy a decent foam roller and a tennis ball and go to town on your lower body. YouTube is your man in terms of what you need to do with them. You should dedicate 20-15 mins a day to stretching and mobility if you're serious about this. If you can't get your body in the optimum positions to apply force, it doesn't matter how many fast twitch muscles you have or how strong your legs are.

With regard to weight, every extra kg of fat you carry is holding you back, there's always room for improvement.

In terms of training, Plyometrics and short sprints would be what I recommend. Hurdle hops ( double leg, progressing towards single leg). Broad jumps, box jumps, depth jumps. There are heaps of YouTube videos on these.

Sprinting: make sure you're on a flat surface and are wearing appropriate footwear. Once or twice a week to begin with, and make sure you're well warmed up. Do something like (10, 20, 30, 40m) x2 with at least 2-3 mins between each sprint, and 5-8 mins between sets. If you're getting out of breath doing speed or acceleration work, you're doing it wrong.

The hills and spinning are good for aerobic conditioning and building strength, but will do absolutely nothing for acceleration or top-end speed.

Source: I'm a 400m sprinter and a qualified athletics coach.

You haven't really dedicated much time to just sprinting though. Hill runs and spinning will complement sprint training but sprint training should be central to what you do if it's what you want to improve.

Setting down markers 20-30m apart and doing sprints. Reducing the rest time between sprints will help improve speed endurance but rest plenty to start because you're more interested in pure speed initially.

I never actually (other than training) set aside the time to just go out and do sprints. I actually just added it on to what i was already doing i suppose. Thanks for the useful advice

This is right up my alley. I almost guarantee that your biggest problems are flexibility/mobility and weight. Buy a decent foam roller and a tennis ball and go to town on your lower body. YouTube is your man in terms of what you need to do with them. You should dedicate 20-15 mins a day to stretching and mobility if you're serious about this.

Have a foam roller and would only have every used to kneed out any kinks or tightness i have the evening of training. Once maybe twice a week (tops). will definitely get it more into my regime.

With regard to weight, every extra kg of fat you carry is holding you back, there's always room for improvement.

Currently on a mission to get my weight down. 4kg down in two months but would need to nearly double that i think. Probably difficult with the extra muscle i am gaining but am conscious of the weight i need to lose
    In terms of training, Plyometrics and short sprints would be what I recommend. Hurdle hops ( double leg, progressing towards single leg). Broad jumps, box jumps, depth jumps. There are heaps of YouTube videos on these.

Sprinting: make sure you're on a flat surface and are wearing appropriate footwear. Once or twice a week to begin with, and make sure you're well warmed up. Do something like (10, 20, 30, 40m) x2 with at least 2-3 mins between each sprint, and 5-8 mins between sets. If you're getting out of breath doing speed or acceleration work, you're doing it wrong.

Great starting points. I might actually ditch the spinning and throw in a session for these suggsetions. Or throw in 20 minutes extra work at the end of training just dedicated to sprints.

Thank you for the very helpful suggestions and reply.

Actually turns out it wasn't a plateau i've reached, im just not doing the right thing and not doing it frequently enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Doing any strength training? Do some Squats & Hip Thrusts twice a week.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Doing any strength training? Do some Squats & Hip Thrusts twice a week.

Being honest, i have steered away from any kind of weights or the weights machines in the gym. I have been just concentrating on getting my endurance (for the game) up.

Going into Winter now i will be changing my programme up a bit as there wont be outdoor gaa training.

Advertisement