Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gain or Burns??

Options
  • 25-09-2014 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I have a 12 year old collie mix with a thyroid problem that tends to put on weight easily, I have her on burns weight control now but im considering changing to Gain, if its any good.

I get Burns in my vets and its quite expensive, I can get an 8kg bag of Gain for 19 euro which is pretty good value. I don't know much about it though just wondering if someone could tell me about the quality of Gain compared to Burns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have a 12 year old collie mix with a thyroid problem that tends to put on weight easily, I have her on burns weight control now but im considering changing to Gain, if its any good.

I get Burns in my vets and its quite expensive, I can get an 8kg bag of Gain for 19 euro which is pretty good value. I don't know much about it though just wondering if someone could tell me about the quality of Gain compared to Burns.

Which Gain is it though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

andreac wrote: »
    Which Gain is it though?

Gain all dogs senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

8kg for 19euro should tell you enought that the gain food is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I would highly recommend skinners it is very very similar to burns http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Duck-Rice/dp/B003EGMHL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1411885243&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

It most certainly is not rubbish food. Have you ever tried it or looked at the list of ingredients?

I have used it very successfully & have also used Burns which I found fine but certainly not fantastic.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I must disagree with you there. I have a retired greyhound and use Gain Maintenance & Retired for both him and a little Terrier we have. I've had NO problems with either dog. I pay €16 for a 15 kg bag.

Cheap food = cheap ingredients. Couldnt see a 8kg and up bag of food for €19 euro containing good quality ingredients (or even meat 'derivatives' for that matter)

A 1euro tesco value steak isn't going to be anywhere near the quality of a €8 fillet steak.

Cheap food = cheap ingredients. Couldnt see a 8kg and up bag of food for €19 euro containing good quality ingredients (or even meat 'derivatives' for that matter)

A 1euro tesco value steak isn't going to be anywhere near the quality of a €8 fillet steak.

What is the ingredients in the Alldogs Gain food?

Knine wrote: »
    What is the ingredients in the Alldogs Gain food?

Scroll down to bottom of this page for a chart of all Gain petfood ingredients.
    http://gainfeeds.com/pet/premium-pet-food/

I'm afraid I must disagree with you there. I have a retired greyhound and use Gain Maintenance & Retired for both him and a little Terrier we have. I've had NO problems with either dog. I pay €16 for a 15 kg bag.

Considering a lengthy search into that food didn't reveal any of it's ingredients I can't make up my mind about that. Post The ingredients of the food and then we'll see how bad/good it is.
    And considering the search for that food landed me In forums where People thought it was ok to give their dog buttered toast every morning and to feed handfuls of pasta instead of 'nuts' says a lot regarding this type of food.

• Advertisement

The first ingredient in Gain Alldogs Senior is min 27% dried poultry. Hardly 'rubbish food'

Considering a lengthy search into that food didn't reveal any of it's ingredients I can't make up my mind about that. Post The ingredients of the food and then we'll see how bad/good it is.
    And considering the search for that food landed me In forums where People thought it was ok to give their dog buttered toast every morning and to feed handfuls of pasta instead of 'nuts' says a lot regarding this type of food.

Oh, Dear. I'm not going to take part in a battle of rights or wrongs. I was just saying that I find a particular dog food suits my dogs. To each their own! BTW, I give my dogs a slice of brown bread and butter for their breakfast. Does that make me a bad dog owner? My greyhound is 11 years old and my terrier 15. I've had both since they were about 3. I've been using this dog food for about 5 years. Before that I was using other Greyhound nuts and they were both emptying loose.

The first ingredient in Gain Alldogs Senior is min 27% dried poultry. Hardly 'rubbish food'

Never said anything about the alldogs, the gain elite is a decent food. Still a lot of maize and maize gluten in it but nothing to turn your nose up at. The rest of the gain food has a lot to be desired. Redmills would be similiar, the leader range is decent but the rest are crap.

Im talking about these foods that are 12kg for 12euro.

All dogs senior has rice as first ingredient and then 17% chicken and turkey. And then followed by a lot of maize and gluten

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

If an 8kg bag of dog food costs 19 euro the ingredients going into it are cheap, the higher the price in dog food means better quality ingredients. Orijen and Canagan are examples of high quality foods, they are expensive but the ingredients are of high quality. I took my dog off science plan and put her on canagan and saw a huge difference and Science Plan is'nt the cheapest at 17 euro for a 2.5kg bag but I wanted to put her on a grain free diet with even better quality ingredients.

Think about it: An 8kg bag of gain is only 2 euro more than 2.5kg bag of science plan. The ingriedients have to be very cheap in Gain dog food for it to retail at the price. Quality comes at high price.

Karen91 wrote: »
    Think about it: An 8kg bag of gain is only 2 euro more than 2.5kg bag of science plan. The ingriedients have to be very cheap in Gain dog food for it to retail at the price. Quality comes at high price.

It might be economies of scale. If a company is making and selling more, it just might be costing them a lot less to make than less popular foods.

It might be economies of scale. If a company is making and selling more, it just might be costing them a lot less to make than less popular foods.

Nah they're just using cheaper meats and cuts in the food.
    They're gettin the bits of dog food meat that the good dog foods won't touch why it's so cheap. It's the meat that even good dog food producers won't go near.

And chicken and poiltry In cheap foods doesn't necissarily mean it's chicken and poultry. Producers can add blood, the leftovers from the slaughter house floor, beaks, claws, etc and call it poultry and chicken

The vet recommended science plan or Burns when I took Daisy for her first health check at 3 months, he said avoid foods that are sold in supermarkets as the ingredients are cheaper, Gain is sold in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Quality comes at high price.

I don't agree with this at all and I think that sentiment is used against owners to make them think that they have to spend a fortune to feed their dogs well. There's plenty of good quality foods that are reasonably priced - I'd assume because the companies aren't pumping all their money into marketing making owners think it's the best thing in the world.

The vet recommended science plan or Burns when I took Daisy for her first health check at 3 months, he said avoid foods that are sold in supermarkets as the ingredients are cheaper, Gain is sold in supermarkets.

Vets are a business first and foremost and always recommend these products because they want you to buy them from them, apparently Science plan is **** enough from what I hear and Burns is touted as great but Im not so sure.

• Advertisement

The Vet doesn't make anything from dogfood sold elsewhere! Of course they'll gt you to buy THEIR product, that they have between 50% & 50% profit on!

The vet I take my little one to does not sell either of the foods I mentioned he only sells canned prescription diets for the kidneys and so on so he was'nt gaining anything by giving this information.

The food I now give is 65% meat, a mix of rabbit, venison and duck the the other 35% is made up of natural ingredients to aid digestion and give a natural source of fibre and it is grain free. Its not cheap but its quality ingedients that are in it, so I think in this case quality does come at a high price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Science plan is pretty rubbish, your vet recommended that and burns for you because he/she receives commission from every bag of burns/science plan/royal canin/any other food that is sold in the surgery. That is why their the 3 main foods in every vets across the country. Burns would be the better choice out of all three, although it didn't agree with my terrier at all.

I feed my dogs (a collie crossbreed and terrier) Gain elite small dogs which is not sold in supermarkets. In fact I've never seen any of the Gain range sold in supermarkets. It costs me €39.99 for an 8KG bag. Both my dogs coats are in fantastic condition, also another poster mentioned pasta being a bad additive to food - not the case at all. Whole grain pasta is a brilliant food to add in once a week to food, as is brown rice and sardines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 robertmck89

i pay 40 euro for a 15 kg bag of GAINS elite big dog puppy for my 6 month old rottweiler. i find it brilliant and its a VERY healthy choice for my rottie. my vet recommends it and even the guy in the pet shop recommended it over some of the more expensive brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭tk123

[QUOTE=robertmck89;92426564i find it brilliant and its a VERY healthy choice for my rottie.[/QUOTE]

What made you decide it's VERY healthy as a matter of interest?

I just got my dog weighed today, shes 19.8kg, target weight is around 16kg.

Shes 12 years old and I had her on 150g of Burns weight control, after the weigh in I was told to cut her down to 100-120g.

Probably have to stick to Burns due to the fact the numbers are low and you seem to get a lot out of a little food although I know she'll be ravenous on this amount as she was even bad on the 150 grams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I just got my dog weighed today, shes 19.8kg, target weight is around 16kg.

Shes 12 years old and I had her on 150g of Burns weight control, after the weigh in I was told to cut her down to 100-120g.

Probably have to stick to Burns due to the fact the numbers are low and you seem to get a lot out of a little food although I know she'll be ravenous on this amount as she was even bad on the 150 grams.
    Add a bit of raw pumpkin (and reduce kibble) to make her feel fuller due to the fibre in it. Also stop giving her any treats beyond the likes of carrot etc.

Alternatively look at getting her on a better quality food in general (Oats (55%), Brown Rice (18%)) and use that to lower her weight by feeding slightly below recommendations for target weight.

Nody wrote: »
    Add a bit of raw pumpkin (and reduce kibble) to make her feel fuller due to the fibre in it. Also stop giving her any treats beyond the likes of carrot etc.

Alternatively look at getting her on a better quality food in general (Oats (55%), Brown Rice (18%)) and use that to lower her weight by feeding slightly below recommendations for target weight.

As in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As in?
    Anything grain free, Taste of the Wild, Nutrivet Instinct Dietetic & Care (for older dogs with weight issue which is why I'm linking a specific one rather than mention the brand), Orijen or Lukullus (to mention a few of the common brands) or simply adding more vegs into his diet (the Raw feeding thread should give you some ideas). You could also look at ways to activate him more (i.e. kong feeder and the like) to make him spend more energy (without adding additional stress on joints) in a fun and easy way.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Anything grain free, Taste of the Wild, Nutrivet Instinct Dietetic & Care (for older dogs with weight issue which is why I'm linking a specific one rather than mention the brand), Orijen or Lukullus (to mention a few of the common brands) or simply adding more vegs into his diet (the Raw feeding thread should give you some ideas). You could also look at ways to activate him more (i.e. kong feeder and the like) to make him spend more energy (without adding additional stress on joints) in a fun and easy way.

Thanks, I'll look into those brands.

I doubt you'd by any chance find any of those grain free products in a pet shop or anywhere though, ordering online is a bit of a hassle.

Advertisement